Start by marking “No One Needs To Know” as Want to Read:
No One Needs To Know

No One Needs To Know

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  907 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
A SECRET WORTH KILLING FOR…
In July 1970, actress Elaina Styles was slain in her rented Seattle mansion along with her husband and their son’s nanny. When the baby’s remains were found buried in a shallow grave close to a hippie commune, police moved in—only to find all its members already dead in a grisly mass suicide.

AGAIN…
Now, decades later, a film about the murders
Published July 28th 2015 by Pinnacle

Wendy
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aug-15
No One Needs To Know is a multi-layered and complex mystery thriller. Kevin O'Brien delivers an intense and suspenseful story.
I loved the beginning, I loved the ending, and once I had the many characters and intricate storyline figured out the middle was quite enjoyable too.
I loved this authors earlier novels and hope to re-read them again in the near future.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
2 1/2 stars

The title is misleading, for it seems everyone wants to know....

I found this book more than a little confusing and difficult to follow in places. This is my first Kevin O'Brien book, and I am not sure that I will bother with any others. There really was too much going on with the plot.

Laurie Trotter, caterer, mother of baby Joey, and widow of a deceased war hero, leaves town suddenly after being stalked by her ex-lovers brother.

She gets a job on a catering truck on a movie set where
Joy
I absolutely loved this book! I can't wait to read another book by this author. He is so descriptive and the characters are vividly drawn and you care what happens to them. I especially liked the fact that the story took place in Seattle and I knew many of the places he referred to because I have been there. The story is suspenseful and clever. I was not able to guess the ending. If you like well written thrillers you should rush out and find this one!
Linda Strong
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Caterer Laurie Trotter has a stalker. She takes her small son and leaves literally in the middle of the night. Now in a new city and feeling safer, she goes to work catering a movie set based on a true life murder that happened in 1970. The movie set seems besieged with problems one right after the other and thinks these problems are tied to the original murder. When she starts sniffing around for the truth, she finds herself in more danger.

This is not the first Kevin O'Brien book I have read, b
sue
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Laurie is the main character in this book for me.
She has a baby named Joey.

White her husband was away she had a 'fling' with Tad.

Tad is trouble.
His brother is even worse

Laurie works in a diner.

Tad always thought that Joey was his son from the 'fling' they had, but hes not and Tad won't take that information in and makes life hard for Laurie. Even though she confessed to her husband and a DNA test proved Tad was not the Father.

When her husband dies, she is confronted one night near closing t
Maggie61
Last summer, I read "Tell me you're sorry" by this author and it was fantastic, so I was very excited to receive an ARC copy of his newest book.
This thriller had a few things going on at once. We first meet Laurie and are brought into her life in Ellensburg. She's a widow raising her son Joey, but is being stalked by a former boyfriend and his crazy brother. They both insist that Joey is her ex boyfriend's, regardless of all proof to the contrary. She decides to quietly relocate and begins a new
Debbie
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I have never read this author before and if I were to believe the reviews that this was his worst book, I cannot wait to read the next. This book had me at Chapter One. There was so much going on in this book. I found myself yelling at the characters so many times. Telling them "no, don't do that!". Or whatever I needed to yell to help them.

Of course, the take off the Manson murders led me to want to read this book. It's like a car wreck, I have to see what happened! Ha! This
Kris - My Novelesque Life
NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW
Written by Kevin O'Brien
2015, 419 Pages
Genre: mystery, suspense, thriller

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest reviw).

Rating: ★★★

The first book I finished for August 2015 turned out to be a bit disappointing. No One Needs to Know is a suspense thriller written by Seattle writer Kevin O'Brien. The premise of the novel was right up my alley, but the execution of the plot fell a bit flat.

First, we meet Laurie Trotter - a widowed single mother working as a
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Kensington, and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Kevin O’Brien returns with an intense complex mystery thriller with multiple crimes, NO ONE NEEDS TO KNOW. The author delivers twists and turns, keeping you glued to the pages, as he seamlessly weaves the past and present for a fast-paced gripping thriller!

Set in Washington, as the book opens, we meet Laurie, a trained chef working at an isolated Superstar Diner. A graduate of Central Washington Uni
Bobbi Joles
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oh my oh my oh my. I am struggling with a star rating on this one.
Why is it so hard to decide how much I liked this book?
Because it felt like I was reading TWO DIFFERENT BOOKS!
I loved the cult/murder thing..... Love it! I love a good thriller and a good mystery and hell, when you read books like this you better love murder.... That being said I still feel like a few too many people died in this book. Two many killers in too many places and just too damn much going on!
The Laurie/stalker plot?
Kath
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's a new movie in production. It focuses on a 44 year old solved multiple murder and promises to uncover new startling information. When a few of those involved with the movie have "accidents" people start thinking it is cursed. Can the new production really be cursed or is it more simply that someone doesn't want this new information coming to light? Is there more to the murders than was uncovered at the time?
Laurie has escaped her previous life and stalker and relocated to Seattle to wor
Selu
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Let's just say Laurie Trotter has problems wherever she goes. First up, I'll admit to not caring all that much about Laurie in the first few chapters, mostly because I find cheaters to be below assassins on my "fictional characters I feel sympathy for" list. Like, I felt more for the assassin than Laurie during her introduction. I feel like that says a bit too much about my own moral failings, but there it is. However, O'Brien manages to not only make Laurie likable but interesting—no small feat ...more
Elisa
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Kensington Books!
Laurie is a young war widow with a bad stalker on her trail. Cheryl has a food truck and many secrets. When they both collide, a cold case from the past will mess up their lives. I really liked the plot, mixing the old murder of a movie star by a cult leader (á la Charles Manson) and new crimes to cover it up. There were twists that I didn't see coming. My issue with this book is that I found it a
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
The Pros – Scarily atmospheric – the sense of impeding violence and bullying was real and pulse raising. The night I read this I was home alone, well almost alone, I had two dogs with me, if not for their company and protection if need be, I would have stopped reading this book and left it for the daylight hours…in places this was creepy.

The intro was superb providing a great emotional hook – a mothers worst fear…

The Cons – This narrative was complicated with back stories that became pre
Carolyn Injoy
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kevin O'Brien fan, suspense-thriller fans
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
No One Needs To Know by Kevin O'Brien is a five star read, start to finish. It is the first book I have read by this author but I just added all of his books to my wish list. He is a masterful story teller. While the story line kept me guessing moment to moment, the characters are well written & believable.

It gave me a sleepless night because I kept telling myself: Just one more chapter. The suspense was intriguing. Now I've got a book hangover. That's the best recommendation I can give a bo
DAISY DISNEY
I had very high hopes for this book by O'brien being that it I loved the first book I read from him a few years back called Disturbed. While No One Needs to Know does have suspense and mystery, it did not fill my expectations. The story revolves around Manson style murders that occurred years back, are now coming back to life again with what appears to be copy-cat murders.

Even though there are various stories among the leading characters in the book, they all mesh together in the end smoothly.
Christa
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc, audible
In No One Needs to Know, Laurie Trotter needs to leave her home, as she is being tormented by a stalker, so she takes a catering job in Seattle. The caterer, Cheryl, has signed on to provide food for a movie, based on a true story, about a multiple murder. Part of the filming is being done in the house where the murders took place. As Laurie becomes intrigued with the story and wonders what really happened, it becomes clear that her life and others are in danger.

This book had a really good premi
MARILYN
I think he had too much going on and I really didn't relate to the protagonist Laurie. Disappointing because I really look forward to his books and his last one was excellent. I didn't find the story that interesting or believable and as far as the antagonist went we knew nothing about them or the assassins. It took me a long time to finish it.
Sheila
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I am normally a big fan of Kevin O'Brien books but could just not get into this one. Long held secrets and resentments from a 1970 Hollywood murder case come to light during the current day filming of a movie based on the crime. Many bodies strewn along the way.
Betsy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Kevin O'Brien book. A little too coincidental. I still enjoyed it though. 3.5 stars
Leanne
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A heart-pounding page turner. This could have been five stars except I found it difficult to accept the coincidence of the main character moving cities to escape one very bad situation, only to find herself in a worse scenario. The storylines and characters were also slightly difficult to keep track of at times.
Patricia
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kevin O’Brien is one of my favorite Authors and probably rates #1. I wasn’t a big fan of this book. So much different than the other books I have read by this Author...
Eustacia Tan
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first post-exam book that I finished, and I'm glad that I chose it. It's not light-hearted, but gripping and enough for me to forget about school (to a certain extent - since I still have assignments going on).

No One Needs to Know follows Laurie Trotter, who in my opinion, has the worst luck ever. Not only did her husband die in Afghanistan, the guy she made a mistake with has started stalking her, and his crazy brother and followers are determined to grab her baby from her. When thi
Tanya Brough
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No One Needs To Know -- Kevin O'Brien

Can a movie set be cursed?
That depends on who you ask. The movie The Ghost of Goodnight Lane wasn't a huge blockbuster, but the events on set would make your skin crawl.

It was inspired by a haunted movie set owned by Media World Company in Texas.
The staff had had visions of an unknown male while on set. Film equipment was moved when no one was around, and someone even got a slap in the face by an unseen hand. These types of unnerving incidents had been going
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015

I found No One Needs To Know by Kevin O'Brien, a bit disappointing. The book was enjoyable, but seemed to lack the dark, eerie tension, and edge of your seat suspense found in many of the authors previous books. I was shocked that I could actually put the book aside, noting that it took me 9 days to complete.

The books synopsis sets the stage for what should be a thrilling story, one that has lots of twist and turns, mysterious characters, false leads, gothic themes, and plenty of people to link
Susan Riley
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of No One Needs To Know in exchange for an honest review.
Laurie Trotter, a trained chef, leaves her town with her young son to get away from trouble. Big trouble. But she finds more than she bargains for when she goes to work for a food catering truck. The movie is about a famous Manson style murder; complete with dead movie star, haunted mansion, and a dead baby. The persons responsible were found dead from a mass suicide. The problem is, people associated with the movie are d
Alfred Nobile
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is my first book by this author. It certainly wont be my last. It is a book of secrets. Brian Laurie's husband. Laurie herself. Also Cheryl and the Holbrooks.
In fact every character in this book seems to have a secret based on truth, half truths or just gut reaction.
It is a book that grips the reader and you want to keep reading.
In the end most of the secrets are resolved leaving others untold.
Mr O'Brien I will certainly read more by you. Thanks to NetGalley for ARC.
Trina
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, kindle, netgalley
I received this arc from Netgalley.

Kevin O'Brien usually writes books that are so much better than this. The things that these characters did was just unbelievable and made no sense. It just ended up being annoying to me.
Donna Barrett
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly an awesome book. Wasn't sure at first, but after a couple of chapters, I was engrossed. The reenactment of a murder from forty four years ago..... just a fabulous read.
Aurora
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book kept me on edge for sure and I hated having to put it down!
No One Needs To Know 2 10 Jul 29, 2015 11:34PM
  • The Bridge (Brody Law, #1)
  • The Burning Girl (The Hollows - Short Story, #2)
  • Devil's Harbor
  • Christmas with a Vampire
  • The Widow of Saunders Creek
  • Mississippi Noir
  • The Kult
  • Darktown (Darktown, #1)
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Drawing Fire (Cold Case Justice #1)
  • Merciless (Mercy Gunderson Mystery #3)
  • Benefit of the Doubt (The Newberg Mystery, #1)
  • Legacy: An Anthology
  • The Paris Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6)
  • Never Wave Goodbye
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • Black River Falls
  • Some Kind of Wonderful (Cupcake Lovers #3.5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99