Start by marking “Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)

Mary Poppins in the Park

(Mary Poppins #4)

Who else but Mary Poppins can lead the Banks children on such extraordinary adventures? Together they all meet the Goosegirl and the Swineherd, argue with talking cats on a distant planet, make the acquaintance of the folks who live under dandelions, and celebrate a birthday by dancing with their own shadows. And that’s just for starters!
Published May 5th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Poppins in the Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Poppins in the Park

Ivonne Rovira
P.L. Travers warns up front that this volume is not the fourth in the series in the sense of being the further adventures of the magical nanny Mary Poppins. Rather, these are adventures that date mostly from the time of Mary Poppins Comes Back and Mary Poppins Opens the Door. As Travers says, “She [Mary Poppins] cannot forever arrive and depart.”

Some of the characters from the previous books reappear — Fred Smith, the imperious Park Keeper; Admiral Boom, the Bird Woman of St. Paul’s Cathedral, t
Rachel Aranda
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-rentals
It's strange to say but this is my favorite Mary Poppins books that I've read. This particular book is full of adventures that the children have that weren't mentioned in the 3 previous books. (I don't think this is a spoiler since it happens in the well-known Disney version.) Sometimes Miss Poppins plays a big part in the stories, but in others she barely appears compared to the other books. The adventures were my favorite parts of the previous 3 books, so that's probably why I enjoyed this boo ...more
Cheryl
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, it seems that these are the stories that didn't fit in the trilogy. Well, I'm certainly glad they found their way into print under Travers' watch, instead of being found in a drawer and published posthumously... because whenever that happens the stories aren't actually ready for publication. These were marvelous. Perhaps made even more so by the fact that it's the first day of this year that I can sit outside and read... and so I did, and read this book in one afternoon. Lovely.
booklady
I know what you’re thinking...just another children’s book, can’t be worth reading, so why bother about the review? Wonder why she keeps reading and writing these reviews?

That’s the trouble with children’s literature. We look down on it...just like we do children. It’s one of the last acceptable prejudices. Well come on, after all they are just children, really now...they don’t know very much; can’t understand what's important, so what they read isn’t worthwhile either, is it?

When I first start
Doug
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"But, Mary Poppins," Jane persisted. "Supposing you weren't Mary Poppins, who would you choose to be?"
The blue eyes under the tulip hat turned to her in surprise.
There was only one answer to such a question.
"Mary Poppins!" she said.

Seriously, I think at this point I give anything with Mary Poppins in it an automatic five-star rating. How can I not? Mary Poppins is absolutely wonderful, in her own uniquely prim and proper way. Is she vain? Yes. Is she haughty? Most assuredly so. Can she be cross
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins #4), P.L. Travers, Mary Shepard (Illustrator)
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Mary Poppins is back again with Jane and Michael for adventures in the Park! An ordinary outing in the park turns into a magical and extraordinary adventure when you go for a walk with Mary Poppins.

I love how Mary Poppins can be stern with the children, but is also kind and loving. She has a no nonsense attitude, but secretly loves to take the children on nonsensical and silly outings!

The writing is enchanting, and has a beautiful charm in its simplicity! I love all the Mary Poppins books!

I wi
Kirsty
I borrowed Mary Poppins in the Park from my University's library, as I found out recently that they have quite an extensive collection of children's literature. This is the fourth book in the series, and as I very much enjoyed reading the first three, I was looking forward to picking it up. The short stories collected here seem more juvenile and less structured than the rest of Travers' writing which I have encountered to date. There are many talking animals and characters from books coming to l ...more
Tabitha
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autumn
Reading these books is like living in a happy dream.

It's also sort of funny, because I remember being a little bored with them the first time around. Perhaps it's that I know what to expect now? That I'm more in love with PLT because I noticed she inscribed "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" at the end of each book? Maybe it's because I'm older and more tired and therefore find the slow pace and magic of these stories utterly soothing and inspiring.
Whatever it is, I'm grateful for Mary Poppins.

**Also, I'
Hissa
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one either..
ضحى الحداد
To be fair that was the least boring book in the series so I didn't hate it that much ..I liked that there wasn't a sudden arrival and departure in this, the events of this book set place in between the second and the third book so that was refreshing, it did have some magical adventures and Mary Poppins was nice-ish through out the book .. my favorite story was the last one about Halloween, I think the rest of the books will be extremely short so I will finish them fast and be done with it
Kelly Iannello
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: popsugar-2018
Read for the PopSugar Reading Challenge

Mary Poppins is a total bitch in the books! No wonder P.L. Travers hated Walt's version on the big screen...
Marie S.
Not my favorite, but I read it in 2 days, so it was a quick and fun read.
John Peel
Each book in the Mary Poppins series is imaginative, but they get less interesting as they go along. It's still extremely readable, of course, but the freshness has lost its shine.
Clare
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marie Perrin, Marion Landi
I'm going to do just one review for the entire Mary Poppins series, and copy it to all of the these as I listened to them, one right-after-another, and they are rather blurred together as one lovely, entertaining, and altogether delightful story.

I'm not sure why I'd not read these before now! You'd think, working in a library- and having read aloud to my daughter every night for years, that somehow I would have hit upon the Mary Poppins books to read-and I truly, truly wish I had!! Because we wo
Janene
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book in the series is even less of a timeline, less of a glimpse at the Banks family, and more of a six short story collection of unique adventures in the park with Mary Poppins. These could have been inserted anywhere in the previous three books.

Mary Poppins, so tart and snooty, so full of her own perfection, and so likeable at the same time. I really enjoyed this one, the imaginative elements are so rich and childlike.

Jane creates a small park of homes and people made of grass, twigs, and
Cielo
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was kind of different from the others, at first I was confused because the beggining didn't match the ending of the third book, but then I realized that they where all completely separate stories that where meant to take place sometime between the past three books. I felt that many of them where more fables than anything else, with their own little moral at the end. But not all of them. My favorite was the one about the shadows in the park and Mary poppin's birthday.
Patricia Mauerhofer
Enchanting and highly entertaining - of course. No words to capture the magic Pamela Travis manages to wave into everyday moments of children playing in the park while Mary P watches over them, sniffs AND never explains anything!
Carlisle
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crying? No. Sobbing? Yes.
Katie Ann
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Such a good classic book!
Darlene
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is from my review of the four-book compilation.

When I was in fifth grade, I was a library regular. I would check out the limit of ten books at a time. Mary Poppins was a series I got into and read all of them. I never had seen Julie Andrews version. We weren't allowed to go to movies in my family. Maybe that's the reason I am so into movies now?

Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the illustrations, still don't care for them. I got irritated with Michael getting so much attention. I felt that this rea
Tatiana
Mary Poppins in the Park is not quite a continuation of the series, but rather stories that could have taken place "during any of the three visits" from the fantastical nanny in prior books. Several tales in this installment were as charming and whimsical as ever, such as "The Children in the Story," which confirmed that Mary Poppins was/is a nanny to other children besides the Banks (gasp!). "The Faithful Friends" was delightful, and also the story with the clearest plot out of the bunch. And I ...more
Insiyah Rangwala
Even more than theMary Poppins, Mary Poppins Comes Back, and Mary Poppins Opens the Door, I enjoyed Mary Poppins in the Park more. There is a sense of tenderness that gets evoked, and I noticed that this book shows Mary Poppins' fondness for the children much more, such as when she hugs Jane and Michael, and when their shadows lean against her on her birthday morning.

I would read this book again anytime I felt like reading something magical. For that is what Mary Poppins truly is, more than mys
Hilary Tesh
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Poppins hasn’t returned for a fourth visit in this book. As the author points out, “She cannot for ever arrive and depart.” Instead these are adventures that took place on one of her three visits and all of them revolve round time spent in the Park opposite the house on a Cherry Tree Lane. They feature a cast of characters that have been introduced in the previous books and for whom the reader may find they have a growing affection - Mrs Corry, the Bird Woman etc. There are some repeated th ...more
Martin Maenza
So this one breaks from the previous format. There is no arrival and departure of Mary Poppins. Instead we get six chapters/adventures that the author said take place during the last three books. Call them fill-ins if you will. Most involve the park in some way. Also, they each average over 40 pages - so Travers is getting more detailed in each standalone tale.
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t like this one as much as the original. I also find the chapters so extremely long (too long to read at once), so it’s hard to find a stopping point when reading out loud.

That said, I really appreciate how interesting and imaginative all her books are. I won’t ever read my daughter a kids book that isn’t deep enough to carry the adult along too.
Courtney Schmidt
A fun set of short stories indirectly unrelated to the rest of the Mary Poppins world. Its fun to see PLT write creatively apart from a (somewhat) narrative plot line as in the other Mary Poppins books.
Melissa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My least favorite book about Mary Poppins. 6 stories mashed together. Authors stated in the beginning that they were adventures that could have happened at any of her visits. Didn’t care for this one.
Daphne Kim
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I love to read these. She's getting to know all of the characters and we then recur in another of the books, she gets very excited. She loves it when she figures out details before the story explains them. What joyful imagination these books contain.
Shan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing can quite match my utter devastation upon reading the beginning author's note and realizing that there would be no fourth time Mary visited the Banks children, but these short stories were just as delightful as all the adventures from the first three books.
101 Books to Read...: Mary Poppins 04 - Mary Poppins in the Park 1 2 May 25, 2016 06:40PM

• Seven-Day Magic
  • The Witch Family
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
  • Katie John
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Karlson Flies Again
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children #3)
  • The Adventures of Sammy Jay
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Puc, Bursztyn i goście
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause w

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)
“She sounds like you, Mary Poppins,' said Michael. 'So terribly pleased with herself!” 5 likes
“I’m not asleep,” Jane reassured her. “I’m thinking about the story.” “I heard every word,” said Michael, yawning. The Park Keeper rocked, as if in a trance. “A Nex-plorer in disguise,” he murmured, “sittin’ in the midnight sun and climbin’ the North Pole!” “Ouch!” 1 likes