Start by marking “Material Girls” as Want to Read:
Material Girls

Material Girls

In Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde’s world, teens are the gatekeepers of culture. A top fashion label employs sixteen-year-old Marla to dictate hot new clothing trends, while Ivy, a teen pop star, popularizes the garments that Marla approves. Both girls are pawns in a calculated but seductive system of corporate control, and both begin to question their world’s aggressive levels ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Material Girls, please sign up.
Elaine Dimopoulos Hello! Thanks for your question. I am playing around with a companion novel to MATERIAL GIRLS, featuring boys in the gaming industry. Stay tuned...

Start your review of Material Girls
Cristina Monica
May 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
This one's bloody boring, slow, and uninteresting. I thought I liked books about fashion

... until I tried reading this book. DNF.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2015
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Did you know .gifs annoy certain people on Goodreads? Yeah, you probably didn’t. It’s not like they complain ALL THE FUCKING TIME ABOUT IT or anything.

Dallas Commercial Photography

Sorry to the aforementioned folks, but when the tag line for a book is “Are you in or are you out?” it’s pretty much just begging to have the poop giffed out of it with Project Runway quotes.

My initial reaction to Material Girls . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

The blurb said this story was going to be P
Aditi
“Yes, because that’s really what this whole multibillion-dollar industry is all about, isn’t it? Inner beauty.”
----The Devil Wears Prada

Elaine Dimopoulos, an American author, pens her debut YA dystopian novel, Material Girls where two teenagers try to cope with the pressures of the world where staying in the latest trends is the top priority, whereas there are people who are trying to put an end to this kind of industry.

Synopsis:

In Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde’s world, teens are the gatekeepers
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Fashion, creativity, change, fame, teenagers.

I enjoyed this so so much. It reminded me at times of Uglies, then at times of Matched, and despite it being such a truly weird idea, I couldn't get enough of it.

I have to say that coming into this, I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. So I was very pleasantly surprised by this unexpectedly awesome story. I could not put it down.

I loved how Marla changed as the story progressed, how she grew up so much. She had a pretty challenging j
Jen Ryland
There were things I liked about this book and others I didn't like so much. Overall it reminded me a lot of Bumped by Megan McCafferty. Both books are sort of "dystopian light" -- futuristic, with a breezy writing style, a hint of satire, and a bit of political commentary.

Liked:
Material Girl starts off strong as a Cinderella story. In this future world, your career is decided in seventh grade. After that, there's nowhere to go but down. Trendy, judgy teens rule and if you're labeled an "Adequate
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book on AMAZON
or buy this book on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

I received a free advanced reader's edition of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I just finished reading this title. Full review to come. I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS. STAY TUNED.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There we
Krystianna
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
If I could give this more than five stars I would! Review to come closer to the release date.

Updated April 2015

**Thank you so much to HMH Books for Young Readers for letting me read a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I don't even know where to begin with this review! Material Girls completely blew me away and I'm trying to put together my words somehow to make this review not seem all over the place because I just have so much to say. If I could give this book one million st
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC from HMH Books for Young Readers via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Material Girls definitely has a very interesting concept, in this universe, kids as young as 13 are 'tapped' to become fashionistas instead of going to school, they are trend-setters, making sure the people spend their money so that the rich can always become richer.

Full review to come soon.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Hallie
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Received from NetGalley - probably no need to add that this is an "honest review" with a two-star rating?

I was drawn to this book by the premise, as well as the catchy "PROJECT RUNWAY meets DIVERGENT" description. Taking on consumerism and its high costs through a YA dystopian novel is an admirable and potentially very appealing concept. Unfortunately I didn't find the execution successful. The slang was relentless and became intrusive to the point that I started wondering why clothing fads chan
Liviania
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the future, creative industries like fashion and video game design are staffed by teenagers (hired at thirteen) because everyone knows that young people know what is cool. Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde both rose to the top of their fields, but now their teens are almost over and their afraid of becoming obsolosers. When Marla loses her prestigious position and Ivy gets threatened by a new pop starlet, the girls start seeing the downside to their world and getting the gumption to fight back.

I foun
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

DNF - 30%

Marla has been demoted to the basement in the fashion industry and she starts to question the world's level of consumption which has gone to the extreme. Ivy is a pop star and both her and Marla are pawns used by the corporate bosses in their own game.

Not really a review considering I didn't finish this but I couldn't really get into this and I think it is due to the book's topic and content. I like fashion but not the extent that I
Julie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I started it yesterday, was up until 2AM reading it because I just couldn't put it down, and finished it this afternoon. Easy to read, enjoyable characters, exciting ideas. Definitely recommend to anyone who likes to read YA novels :)
Britt
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definetly differnt book but really was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Review to come.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

There were quite a few things that I enjoyed about this book. Things like:

The main characters are very well written, and give incredible perspectives into their industries. Marla works in the fashion designing world, and Ivy is a huge pop star who wears aforementioned fashion, thus connecting the two. In a society where you're a has-been by the time you hit 20, it's interesting to see how these girls grapple with the inevitable decline of their careers at an age when we can
Melek
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
I won't be putting spoiler tags as I'm not sure how much of what I write could be considered spoilers as there are different blurbs in different websites. Read at your own risk.

For me, Material Girls is a hard book to review. I know that I liked it and I would recommend it, but I also know it didn't deliver much of what it had promised. So, while writing this review, I re-rated it and gave it a 3/5 (I rated it as a 4/5-read before).

First of all, I have never watched Project Runway. In fact, I le
MeggieBree
Material Girls is set in a world where children are "tapped" as they are entering adolescence to take over key roles in all of the the creative industries. They get demoted as they age to jobs that aren't considered "prime". It follows two girls in alternating chapters. The first one - Marla - is a judge on the superior court for one of the five major fashion houses, determining what will become a trend. The second one - Ivy - is a pop star, showcasing all of the major new trends.

This book did a
Amitha
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Project Runway meets Nashville meets intelligent YA dystopia in this brand new book by my writing buddy Elaine which debuts this May. Told from two points of view, Material Girls tells the story of Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde, two girls living in a society where fashion and fame are everything and teens call all the shots. But when Marla is fired from her cushy job as a fashion judge and pop star Ivy Wilde begins to teeter in the charts, their lives unravel slowly and intertwine in unexpected ways ...more
Kate McGovern
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart, sharp, so vivid and so fresh...I loved—and tore through—MATERIAL GIRLS. At 16, Marla Klein has reached the pinnacle of power as a judge at one of the "Big Five" fashion houses, where she's paid to dictate trends that range from bizarre (feathers, military, space-age) to cruel. Her voice alternates with Ivy Wilde, a teen pop star who is also living a life and career dictated entirely by creepy corporate puppeteers. As Marla and Ivy begin to question the social order around them, they start ...more
Jasmine
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful, dnf
I received this ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a DNF for me. I am normally against abandoning books because I always believe that I might miss something amazing. However, in this case, I couldn't bring myself to move past page 64.

The concept of the book was forgotten after the multiple attempts of reading the book. I found the writing okay, there were a lot of things that was mentioned without any explanation. This book is set in the future and most of
Kristen Cansler
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come in April!

If you love a good dystopian, then you're going to fall in love with Material Girls! From the very first page, I was rooting for Marla Klein. Each character has a strong and unique voice that I appreciated. The world that the author creates is as much a cautionary tale about the woes of consumerism as it is entertaining. Fans of the dystopian genre will be thrilled with this newest addition!

**I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review with no comp
Lindsey
(I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.)

Material Girls is a dystopian novel set in the fashion world, and the focus alternates between Marla and Ivy. Marla is a judge for one of the top five fashion houses, and Ivy is a popular singer who wears the fashions (only once, of course), and therefore sets the trends.

After Marla "loses her touch" for picking trends, she is demoted to the basement, where she must work as a drafter - someone who sketches the desig
Kara-karina
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
What a delightful read, peeps! Dystopian YA is always touch and go for me, and I didn't know what to expect from this one, but it's actually very clever and paints a caricature representation of today's society.

Some years ago in a grip of deep economical crisis some countries came up with an idea of testing kids in school for creative aptitude, and if they have any inclination and talent for creative jobs, take them out and put them to work in massive consumer and entertainment industries.
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I first read the synopsis of Material Girls by Elaine Dimopoulos I was really excited as the concept sounded amazing and brought to mind So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld which I loved. Unfortunately, though the idea behind this book truly is excellent, the execution fell flat.

This book seemed like the author was trying too hard to make a social commentary about consumerism, trends, and fame. Whilst it certainly is thought provoking to an extent, it all just seems too forced and the storylin
Frank Chillura
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, fashion
Check out my blog for this & more reviews on New & Upcoming Young Adult Books at UtopiaNeverComes.blogspot.com

-----------------

When I picked Material Girls as my next read, I thought it sounded like an interesting concept... teenagers hired on before they are even finished with school to make the choices on what would be the next big craze in fashion. These pre-teens, starting at the age of 13, would be chosen for different artistic careers, like fashion, music, movies, & video game production &
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Material Girls is a Dystopian novel that features a world where thirteen year olds get "tapped" which determines what will the rest of their life look like. Arty type rule the world. Designers, programmers, video game buffs, musicians - all of these are more creative fields are what determines what is cool.

The story itself jumps from two POVs - Marla Klein and Ivy Wilde. Marla has worked for one of the Top 5 Design Houses that determined what trends would be popular. Being on the Court, she had
Caroline Niziol
May 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Victoria (RedsCat)
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A fun, fast-paced and thought provoking look at a not-too-distant youth-obsessed future. The premise of this novel is that youth are the buying force and drivers of the economy. The entertainment industry is the pinnacle of success, but with a tiny window from about age 13 to age 20.

Entertainment comes polished and packaged. It helps sell the trends - which are everything! And the trends are short-lived to keep the economy rolling.

I loved the crisp writing and engaging plot. The novel has a wide
Jean Stehle
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this novel. Dimopoulos artfully tells the story of fashion, power, and the influence of teen culture in an engaging and thought-provoking manner. I was immediately drawn to the main characters, Marla and Ivy. Both girls are projected on paths of self-discovery when they realize they do not have the power they thought they had. Art imitates life in this fast-paced, entertaining, and gripping novel. A must read.
Ashleigh
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Read as digital ARC.

Material Girls was great--felt like it was tailored for me. I had high hopes for it as I love depictions of the future and would easily read The Hunger Games had it been written from Cinna's viewpoint and finished before Katniss's year. Material Girls isn't that high stakes, but it's exactly the type of book you try to read before sleeping that then results in you not actually going to sleep.
Jane
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A smart feminist take on the possible near-future. A dystopia without the apocalypse, this is razor sharp look at corporate values and consumerism, filtered through the eyes of two girls who think they're at the top, discover that they have been manipulated and used, and try to fight back.

• Starters (Starters, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Furious Thing
  • Plank's Law
  • Us Mob Walawurru
  • The Girl Who Owned a City: The Graphic Novel
  • Burn
  • Felix Ever After
  • Cell 7 (Cell 7 Trilogy #1)
  • How You Ruined My Life
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • American Radicals: How Nineteenth-Century Protest Shaped the Nation
  • Imaginary Borders
  • Grim
  • The Son of Good Fortune
  • Women on Top
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Golden Braid (Hagenheim, #6)

News & Interviews