Start by marking “City Chickens” as Want to Read:
City Chickens

City Chickens

“Animal-loving city and country kids alike will find this worth clucking about.” —The Bulletin

Just outside of downtown Minneapolis, follow the sound of crowing and you will find Mary Britton Clouse’s Chicken Run Rescue. Over the years, Mary and her husband have given hundreds of homeless birds a safe place to rest until they can be adopted by caring families.
     Each chic
Published May 27th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published May 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about City Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Chickens

Start your review of City Chickens
Peacegal
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
Tired of children’s chicken books that depict these complex animals as merely meat- or egg- producing machines, and/or lie about the ways in which the vast majority of chickens today are raised? Get ready to crow about City Chickens.

“Urban homesteading” becomes “urban rescue” in this brightly-illustrated, nicely presented book. Mary and Bert are a married couple who keep chickens in their backyard—not as food producers, but as rescued friends. Their lucky feathered charges come from a variety of
Barbara
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, ncbla2013
This short book about the pleasures and perils of life as a chicken today will capture many hearts and captivate readers just as it did me. It tells the story of Chicken Run Rescue, a Minneapolis shelter for abused and abandoned chickens founded by Mary Britton Clouse and her husband Bert. The two have turned their backyard and house into a comfortable place where chickens may thrive until someone adopts them. By the time you reach the book's final pages, it's likely that you'll see chickens in ...more
Donalyn
I predicted in my reading resolution post this year that I would read books about bravery and chickens-- possibly the same book. City Chickens is that book-- an inspiring story about one couple's efforts to rescue injured and abandoned chickens and find them good, loving homes.
Eric
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm biased, I took most of the pictures and my wife wrote it. Still think it's a great book. Mary and Bert do amazing work at Chicken Run Rescue.
Naomi Kinsman
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
City Chickens is a delightful read, full of everything that great nonfiction needs. The pages are chock-full of facts, of course, but the text also contains a variety of stories to capture your heart. Heppermann has put covered much more than the life of chickens in the city, and in so doing, she has created a book as much about chickens as it is about why people dedicate their life to causes in which they believe. The photos bring humor and flavor into the story, and the pages pop with color an ...more
Yoo Kyung Sung
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
This is not just chicken shelter but also taking actions in nonfiction! So engaging
Rachel
A lovely book that makes you more empathetic, the flow of the text is a little awkward a times, but the story is full of hope and love which overcomes some of these flaws.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I would never have believed that there are individuals who would be willing to rescue chickens. This one was a fascinating read.
Angie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
Interesting! High three. Maybe four ... we'll see how kids react to it. I did not know chickens had such personalities.
Katie Howard
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book you will read about an inner-city animal shelter called Chicken Run Rescue. This shelter is located in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. Owner, Mary Britton rescues chickens and puts them up for adoption for other people to own. This book is a great and unique read for those that like to learn more about chickens and their inner-city life.
Catherine
An interesting book on how "Chicken Rescue Run" is helping shelters care and find homes for the abandoned chickens in the Minneapolis area.

I wish their was more information on how people can raise and take care of chickens.
Jessica
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
It is true that many chickens are raised solely for their meat, or eggs. In factories and classrooms, chickens are treated like items. Chickens have feelings too, and should be treated with care.
Lauri Meyers
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A look at a city chicken rescue in Minneapolis.
Phoebe
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, nonfiction
Since this book is written by a long-time book reviewer for Horn Book, rest assured that she knows a thing or two about excellence in children's nonfiction. This endearing and unique title about a chicken rescue organization in downtown Minneapolis will appeal to a broad range of ages, and its layout is fresh and fun. And read with care, because the photographs are so fabulous (a chicken eating spaghetti!) that you will want your own pet chicken. The stories of abuse and laying conditions at fac ...more
Erika
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book as my token non-fiction of the month and I did enjoy it. Basically, I wanted to learn more about city dwellers who are raising chickens on their roof or in their garden as a fresh source of eggs. But, this book is about a rescue home for the city chickens that escape, the peeps brought home from elem school kids each spring and the cock-fighting roosters that are saved and near death. After reading it, it makes it much, much harder to eat a chicken nugget, that's for sure. Th ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Meet Mary and Bert. They run the Chicken Run Rescue in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and if you think they rescue dogs or cats, guess again. The couple has opened their backyard and their home to chickens! Many are abandoned, some are rescued from illegal animal fighting – but however they get to Mary and Bert, they need help and are deeply loved upon arrival. Grab this book for a heart-warming true tale with a cast of crazy birds named Henrietta, Ranger and Billiam. Great pictures make this informati ...more
Georgia Beaverson
Prepare to be charmed! City Chickens by Christine Heppernan approaches an unusual subject--the rescue of chickens in Minneapolis, Minnesota--with all the charisma of the city chickens she writes about. Heppernan shows the hard side of city life for a chicken in an honest but compassionate way. The caretakers of Chicken Run Rescue, Mary Britton Close and husband Bert, are the heroes of this book and Mary's story lends structure to it. Illustrations are full-color photos in a creative and involvin ...more
Christiane
As more and more people keep chickens in the city, what happens to lost or abandoned chickens will become more of an issue. This book describes one rescue organization in Minneapolis, run by a dedicated wife and husband who have turned their backyard into a safe haven for unwanted chickens. Lots of lovely photos of chickens as pets; this may make some kids uneasy about chickens as food, so parents may need to be prepared to answer some tough questions about why we eat some animals but not others ...more
MJ
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chickens, children-s
The author states that chickens are the most abused animal in the U.S. My husband, who has taught agricultural ethics and the use and abuse of farm animals, agrees.

This lovely little book (beautiful graphic arrangement of colors, words and pictures)and talks about the loving care that Mary and Bert give to rescue chickens at the Chicken Run Rescue in Minneapolis...not surprisingly the author eventually succumbed to the charm of chickens and now has two rescues of her own.

For all those who want t
Becky
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Interesting story about couple that rescues chickens. I was happy to see the author's plea for empathy toward the plight of roosters. But suggesting that classes hatching eggs as a learning experience was a bad idea because it supported the "throw away" mentality people might have regarding chickens made me think that maybe she had begun to pontificate rather than inform the reader. Chicken lovers will enjoy the story but should know that the book leans more toward a persuasive piece rather than ...more
Andrea
Juvenile non-fiction about a chicken rescue shelter. Great photographs and some fun anecdotes about the rescues and about individual chickens and their quirks. But may miss its intended audience, since those looking for information on raising chickens in the city will be disappointed, and those looking for stories about rescue animals may not know to look here.
Melissa Stewart
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of my favorites of the year. So many schools hatch chicks, but what happens to those cute little guys and girls when they get too big for the classroom? Thsi book offers a delightful sneak peek into a chicken refuge and shares some of the owner's adventures.
Jenny
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-j
I thought this was going to be about the trend of urban dwellers owning backyard chickens, but it was about a chicken rescue/adoption organization in Minneapolis. It was interesting but different than what I expected.
Allison
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new nonfiction book is well-written and has wonderful photos. As an aspiring chicken owner, I am all excited about the topic. I enjoyed reading about Mary and Bert, and the many others who have fallen in love with chickens and made it their life work to rescue many needy birds!
Aaron
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A neat story about a passionate woman who starts a rescue organization for chickens.

It reads like a feature story in a newspaper or magazine, but with LOTS of great pictures and sidenotes.

Good for educational purposes or for an enjoyable, quick read.
Elizabeth Ferry
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, what I took away from this book is that I will no longer purchase anything other than cage-free eggs and free-range chicken. Poor little guys. Can't go so far as to go vegetarian but the critters should not live their lives so miserably.
Dawn Trlak-Donahue
Great photos and message for kids on rescuing animals.
Edward Sullivan
A most enjoyable story about a safe haven for rescued urban poultry in downtown Minneapolis.
Julie
This book is all about a shelter in Minnesota for....Chickens! Interesting information about alternatives for school hatching projects.
Lynn
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and heartwarming. I really liked this eccentric little book.

• You're Invited to a Moth Ball: A Nighttime Insect Celebration
  • Hörst du wie die Bäume sprechen?
  • I See Sea Food: Sea Creatures That Look Like Food
  • Billie Jean!: How Tennis Star Billie Jean King Changed Women's Sports
  • Kent State
  • Hope in the Dark
  • Here We Go Digging for Dinosaur Bones
  • Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution
  • Let It Begin Here!: April 19, 1775: The Day the American Revolution Began
  • Spotted Tail
  • This Is a Book to Read with a Worm
  • The Boy Who Touched the Stars/El Nio Que Alcanz Las Estrellas
Christine Heppermann writes fiction, poetry, and criticism. Her books include What Goes Up (coming summer 2020); Ask Me How I Got Here; Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty; City Chickens; and the Backyard Witch series (with Ron Koertge). She currently reviews young adult books for the Chicago Tribune.

Christine grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, where she attended an all-girls Catholic high school.

News & Interviews