Start by marking “Sheep Go to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Sheep Go to Sleep

Sheep Go to Sleep

It's time for bed but the sheep just can't settle down.  Never fear, a trusty sheepdog is here to help.  What will it take to get these restless sheep to bed?  A hug?  A blanket?  A drink of water?   Will this dedicated collie ever get these bleating sheep to sleep?

From the team behind the bestselling SHEEP IN A JEEP, this sweet and silly sleepytime tale is perfect for an
Published May 5th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sheep Go to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep Go to Sleep

Kristin
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the newest book in Nancy Shaw and Margot Apple's best-selling Sheep series and is completely adorable. The sheep are having a hard time falling asleep when bedtime comes but their dedicated collie comes and settles them all down by giving sheep whatever it is they may need such as a blanket or drink of water. This book is a hit among young children and can even bring a smile to the faces of adults.
Liz Todd
I have a nice big stack of pictures books here that I've read this morning and THIS is my favorite. So, so, sweet!

And math concepts---would be fun to track this on a 5-bead rekenrek!

Love, love, love. My favorite Shaw Sheep book.
Holly
OH MY GOSH, STOP IT! It's so dang cute! I NEED to read this in storytime. Sleepy sheep, a kind dog to tuck them all in, AND you can count down the sheep one by one as they fall asleep. Then the ending is a sweet, charming allusion to a nursery rhyme. Sigh.
Briarwood Hollow
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good! I want to keep it! - R, age 3
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Shaw, Nancy Sheep Go to Sleep Illustrated by Margot Apple BOARD BOOK Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015. $13. 9781328910493

Five sheep are having trouble falling asleep because they hear sounds in the night. When the sheep dog comes along and sees all the sheep awake and worried, it goes about settling in each sheep with a drink, a hug, a stuffed animal, a blanket and a lullaby. All the sheep go to sleep and have sweet dreams, and so does the sheep dog.

This is a sweet going to bed book for young r
Marjorie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My toddler thinks this book is adorable, he smiles so brightly with every page. This was the first one we have memorized in all our children literature exposure thus far too.. The poor sheep are struggling to "go to sleep," which is a hilarious tongue-in-cheek story idea to apply to sheep. We get to practice our counting and we see a trusty collie go through acts of selflessness to bring comfort to the poor, tired sheep. I love the handrawn characters, they are warm and cozy and great friends to ...more
Karen
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
People count sheep to fall asleep, but what are five insomniac ewes to do? The trusty sheep dog knows! One by one he settles each sheep for the night. One needs a hug, another a drink, a blanket is calming for another. As the dog makes each flock member comfortable and secure they settle into the hay for a good night's rest. In the morning the diligent dog is found under a haystack snoozing too!

The illustrations are very fun and warm and will appeal to children who are on their way to bed as wel
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
omigosh
This is a cute series. I'm glad to discover another episode. This title makes a great board book. Look at the expressions on every critter on every page. Oh that patient border collie, just like a long-suffering parent. The homage to a certain nursery rhyme, the last two pages, is a cute bonus, too.

And besides being a night-time book, it's also a counting down and simple subtraction educational book!

Now I've got to go back and read the others again.
Janet
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a spot on good title about sheep trying to go to sleep and who better to assist with that than a border collie. Illustrations are cuddly and reassuring. Young children are sure to relate to the various things needed before going to sleep. I have always loved this Sheep series by Nancy Shaw.
Michele
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In keeping with the spirit of "Sheep in a Jeep", this little night time book has the sheep slowly going to sleep with help from a border collie. Very sweet board book with gentle rhyming and counting that should lull a child to sleep. My grandson enjoys the counting and especially the helping border collie. Great little book.
Brittany
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read about a collie who helps 5 sheep fall asleep one by one. This is an easy book to make interactive for babies when you are trying to use as much language and identification as possible. I point out the animals in the background, and as each sheep falls asleep I count the remaining sheep. It is a great bedtime story to help baby settle down for the night. 5/5
Barbara
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Collie tries to help the sheep fall asleep in the gently rhymed bedtime book, Sheep Go to Sleep by Nancy E. Shaw. Children will enjoy counting down with the reader as each sheep falls asleep. But when morning comes, where is that dog who looked after the sheep? For ages 2 - 6.
Elizabeth
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a "counting back from five" story. The collie/sheepdog puts all five sheep to sleep:
*one needs a hug
*one needs a drink of water
*one needs a lullaby
*one needs a teddy bear or "stuffy"
*one needs a quilt
All the kinds of stuff that we all need to get to sleep!
Very sweet book.
Darinda
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's bedtime for the sheep, but they're having trouble sleeping. A collie walking by stops to help them, with a hug, water to drink, a lullaby, a teddy bear, and a blanket.

A cute, rhyming bedtime story.
Gwen Ayler
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little different version of counting sheep to go to sleep.
Wendy
Sweet bedtime counting book with a nice colored pencil art style. I want a puppy friend to come help me go to sleep.
J
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute, sweet book. I was glad to be able to do some counting with this book with the toddlers I read it to.
Jagoda
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely sweet. The story is adorable and the illustrations are lovely and simple. Charming bedtime story. We have this in a board book and it is very, very thick.
Miss Sarah
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five sheep are ready for bed but just can't seem to go to sleep. what will help them get there? great counting skills. toddler and up
Rebecca Gomez
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet and simple bedtime story.
Mama’s Hysa Book Club
This is such a sweet and kind story promoting sharing, gentleness, and being kind to others. We both loved it.
Rachel Allen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
At least a 3.5 but not quite the 4 rating that the other Shaw/Apple books get.
Viviane Elbee
A math (count to five & subtraction) bedtime story, featuring sheep. It rhymes and is a good length for toddlers & preschoolers.
Mary
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This story has a comforting feel. Sheep pleasantly get ready for bed, there is also a counting aspect.
Clare Rossetter
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story of bedtime for sheep. The sheep cannot sleep for all the usual reasons-strange noises, need a drink, a lullaby etc. The collie who watches over the sheep is a very patient and loving character, one could say like a mother who must help her children get to sleep. One by one the sheep fall asleep with the help of the collie, but wait where is the collie? Fun nursery rhyme ending. This is a good read-a-loud for young children as they will relate to the problems/reasons they can't s ...more
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It may be time for bed but the sheep are having trouble falling asleep. Luckily, the border collie has a few ideas on how to get them settled for the night.

As part of my annual Goodreads reading challenge, I promised myself I would read 12 picture books and expand my knowlege/reader's advisory capability in this genre. So, this was my first "Sheep" book. When I told my sister I had mailed a copy for my nephews, she exclaimed "Oh they LOVE the Sheep books! There's a new one??"

I may be late to the
Jillian
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it
A sweet little book that would be good for helping little ones count themselves to sleep. Need a hug? Check. A drink? A story? A warm blanket? Got it. One by one, the sheep get their bedtime needs met and drop off to sleep. A gentle repetition of "how many more?" helps the rhythm of the story. The kiddos will be snoozing in no time.
Amy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shaw’s well-known sheep are sleepy after a long day, but just can’t seem to go to sleep. Their patient care-taker Collie soothes them to sleep one by one, inviting readers to count how many are left to go each time. The soft colored pencil illustration suit the gentle tone of what is sure to become a bedtime favorite. Highly Recommended.
Rosa Cline
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a great storybook, it's special with the illustrations. The friendships between a collie dog and the sheep. And it helps teach children to count backward from 5. The sheep can't seem to get to sleep. But their friend Collie Dog comes and helps each one with something special to help them get to sleep.
Carrie
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sheep Go to Sleep is another winner from Nancy Shaw. The sheep each need something special to go to sleep, such as a teddy bear, so children and parents will identify with the plot. Full-page spread illustrations and simple rhymes also make this a good book for a read-a-loud.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Goodnight, Good Dog
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • The Moon is Going to Addy's House
  • All the Awake Animals Are Almost Asleep
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • Tom's Tweet
  • Can't Sleep Without Sheep
  • Sleepyheads
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)
  • Big Hugs, Little Hugs
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • A Storm Called Katrina
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur