Start by marking “You and Me and Him” as Want to Read:
You and Me and Him

You and Me and Him

“Do not ignore a call from me when you know I am feeling neurotic about a boy. That is Best Friend 101.” —Nash

Maggie and Nash are outsiders. She’s overweight. He’s out of the closet. The best of friends, they have seen each other through thick and thin, but when Tom moves to town at the start of the school year, they have something unexpected in common: feelings for the sa
Published July 7th 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You and Me and Him, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Max Baker
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtqia, i-reviewed
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ughhhhhhhhh. There's this book called Weird Girl and What's His Name by Meagan Brothers about a girl and her gay best friend who she considers her soul mate. That book is full of emotion and conflict and what it means to love and be loved in return. This book, which has a very similar premise, is about melodrama and self-depreciation.

You and Me and Him sounded like an interesting read, a girl and guy both in love with the same boy. It's not necessarily a new formula, but it j
Farith
Oh, believe me, I have a lot of shit to talk about this book.

Full review to come
Krista Wright
Jun 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really really didn't like this. It had so much potential! But everything about this book was dull--the characters, the writing, the cheesy unrealistic romance, the stereotypical high school drama. Even the friendship between Maggie and Nash--which was supposed to be this huge part of the story--felt shallow.
Lubna
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an okay book. Nothing too special about it. I actually regret investing my time on it, it's a little immature so i'd totally recommend it to younger people. The writing made the book very gripping which made me fly through it, but I did not do it for the sake of the story but only because I was enjoying the writing. However, it was still lacking a lot of details.

There is a very serious issue for me here; why does every gay guy in books like art?!! Is it like a new stereotype or somethin
Lissa
Let's get one thing straight from the very beginning: I am not one of those shrinking-violet fat girls. I don't sit alone in my bedroom playing Billie Holiday albums while drowning my sorrows in a carton of ice cream.

Those are the first two sentences of the book. And then the main character, Maggie, spends the rest of the book showing that, in spite of the first two sentences of the book, she IS going to sit alone in her bedroom playing Billie Holiday albums while drowning her sorrows in raw coo
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
This review was originally posted on Book Blog Bird

You, Me and Him is the story of Maggie and Nash. She’s overweight and he’s gay and they’re social outcasts in their high school, but that’s okay, they don’t want to be part of the popular set anyway. They’re both non-starters as far as romance is concerned, so when stunning new boy, Tom, joins their school and showers both of them with attention things start to get awkward.

So, I enjoyed this book and I really liked the author’s writing style. I
Blake Fraina
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Early on, Kris Dinnison’s novel, You and Me and Him gives off a similar vibe to many other YA books about high school misfits. If you’re at all familiar with the genre, then you know the drill - chubby girl, gay best friend, cruel jocks and vapid prom queens, with the obligatory whistle blowing, hard-nosed lady PE instructor, just in case there wasn’t enough here for the Gleeks to feast on. The only thing it seemed to be missing was a night out at The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

But, as I read mor
Kelly Sierra
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, arc
Ladies, first imagine that you had a gay best friend. You are on a school bus, talking, laughing, and enjoying each other's company, when in comes a new student. You both know it's a new student, you all know each other, and this student isn't just new but he's male and very attractive. Your best-gay-guy-friend announces he calls dibs on the new guy, and you, being the nice doormat that you are, say okay.

That's the story. It wouldn't be a terrible story, however, I have some serious beef with th
Ms. Yingling
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maggie and Nash are the best of friends, and glad to have each other. Nash's mother is an alcoholic and frequently takes all of his attention, while Maggie's mother is well meaning but really pushy about Maggie's weight. When a new and charistmatic boy, Tom, comes to town and wants to hang with their misfit group (which includes Cece, Maggie's other best friend), Nash calls dibs on him as a romantic prospect. Maggie is okay with that, and fills her time with working at a used record store and ba ...more
Obsidian
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Told in the first person, the main character of this YA novel is Maggie Nash. Maggie is overweight and always feels as if she is in the outside looking in most of the time. One good thing she has is that her best friend Nash is right there by here side. However, when a new kid named Tom starts school, the two best friends find themselves on the outs with each other for the first time.

I don't know what else to say about this one besides I was pretty bored throughout the book from beginning to en
Tikaa
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Read Full Review Over At fANGIRLconfessions

I received a review copy courtesy of the author/publisher. This does not affect my opinion or views regarding the book whatsoever.

After finishing A Million Miles Away, I jumped straight into You And Him And Me, and I immediately noticed a subtle " connection " between both books. While their stories were completely different, they shared common concepts or aspects as I like to call them, and because they were so similar, I decided to create what I call
ѦѺ™
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, arcs
"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend, All losses are restored and sorrows end." - William Shakespeare

Nash Taylor is gay and Maggie Bower is overweight. having been friends since they were kids, Maggie and Nash are like two peas in a pod and are as thick as thieves. now seventeen, the two continue to wish for the One who will sweep them off their feet. when they see Tom Pierce, the New Boy, at the start of their junior year, both call dibs at the same time but Maggie gives way to Nash.
Michelle
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**
You and Me and Him is a young adult contemporary that explores the age of old question of what happens when two best friends like the same guy. Will he come between the two friends? This review is going to be a bit different than my normal reviews because of the nature of the book, I don't want to give away any specifics, because I fear if I say something, anything at all it will give you some idea of how the whole To
John Amory
This was going really great for me until about 3/4 through when every character but Maggie turned into a huge douchebag for basically no reason. I loved Maggie, and I completely identified with her in a way I typically don't with YA protagonists. She's quirky in that hip, sarcastic way that seemingly all YA protagonists are nowadays (she listens to vinyl, jazz no less, for instance), but she's so raw and realistic and sweet and conflicted as well. But when there's very little story other than a ...more
Becky
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dinnison's fantastic novel is about friendship, teenage angst, and the confusion of attraction. Her main character Maggie is a force of nature! I found her to be very deep, and consequently did not mind following her tangled, confused thoughts and feelings. The humor and several charming characters gave a nice balance to the drama and intensity. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Brittany
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't care what people say, I thought this was freaking sweet.

Yes, this begins as a love triangle story, but it's really a book about honesty and self-confidence. I loved the hell out of Maggie and her voice. Her frustrations and fears were so real and her self-deprecating humor was funny and painful to read.

I felt like this was a combo of a great romance and a nod to Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. Cute, fun, entertaining.
Sharma
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I'm buddies with Kris Dinnison and just got to read her galley a few months prior to publication (thanks, Kris!). I loved the narrator of this book, who learns to embrace her inherent confidence even in the face of peer mockery and self-doubt. This book has a giant, brave heart. Preorder now!
Anni
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best Friend oder Boyfriend - Das ist hier die Frage :D

Dieses Buch war eine sehr niedliche Geschichte mit liebenswürdigen Charakteren. Ich mochte den Schreibstil sehr gerne und dass die Autorin gezeigt hat, dass das Leben eines Jugendlichen auch hart sein kann und nicht immer schön ist.
Debbie Narh
Sep 08, 2014 marked it as to-read
This book reminds me of an episode of Will and Grace! Fingers crossed I love this one!
malayna
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
MY OPINION: *****

I really loved this book. I picked it up while browsing in the library one day and I found it a real gem.

This book was so sweet and gorgeous. It's about a girl and a boy who are best friends. They are both the outsiders. The girl, Maggie, is overweight, and the boy, Nash, is gay. Maggie and Nash both have had their share of crushes and unrequited love.

Then a new boy comes to their high school and they're left with a problem. Both Nash and Maggie start to have feelings for this m
Chiara
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A copy of this novel was provided by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for review via Edelweiss.

That’s it. I am officially cursed with incorrect synopses.

When I requested You and Me and Him, I thought that it would be told from two perspectives: a straight girl, and a gay boy. I also thought that they would both fall in love with the same bisexual guy.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. You and Me and Him is told only from the perspective of the straight girl, and the guy that both friends fall in love wit
Nicole Field
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm confused about what I was meant to feel by the end of this book, and the book seemed to just play with a lot of established tropes at the beginning, which is the reason it's not a perfect book.

But, in all honesty, I actually really enjoyed it. While shelved with LGBT, I wouldn't really consider this so much an LGBT book so much as a book that has a stereotypically bitchy queen gay teen character as a sidekick to the main protagonist.

Also the owner of Square Peg was just a bit too perfect t
Matty Darling
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
oh my goodness, this book is just the right amount of funny and passion. I needed to read this kind of book for a while. it was really good thank you to my friend that said i needed to read this book. my favorite character from the book is the record shop owner Quinn he was so funny and caring throughout the entire thing. I wish Nash would have realized what Maggie was doing for him sooner but it also would have changed the ending entirely. Tom what do i have to say about him so many things I do ...more
Brian
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this well written heartwarming YA novel, we are treated to a friendship between two teens, the brooding, gay, Nash and the overweight, kindhearted Maggie. But when a new guy moves into town, Tom, both of them have feelings for him. Will this guy come between their friendship? I really liked the way all of the characters were written, especially the main characters. Each one had very memorable and distinct personalities, and I really thought the plot flowed very nicely. All in all, a sweet, pl ...more
Agathafrye
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book to remind me of the pain of my high school years. Fairly even handed explorations of gender, sexuality, body image, and the awkwardness of friendship and romance in the teen years. I really liked all of the characters in this book, particularly the rad brave main character who hands out cookies as a hobby.
Mary Farrell
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemp
I highly recommend this book to people who like character driven novels and cookies. Please give us the recipes!
This is a story about friendship and identity and forgiveness. The characters are unique, believable and you want to root for them the whole way through.
Andi Rahmat
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
"you guys are better than reality TV" -Quinn

The writing style is nice but the story of this novel seem silly, not too dumb. I can not understand the main character. Some things are not clarified. Does this book have a sequel?
Jill Pickle
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A perfect next-pick for people who like Eleanor & Park or (the oldie but goodie) My Heartbeat. A true romcom but smartly written with satisfying banter--a truly heartwarming best friendship, too.
Dove
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!!!!! I LOVED ITTTT!!! It was so cute and interesting. 2 best friends, a girl and a guy whose gay, both fall for the same new guy. The new guy seems perfect in every sense and he joins these 2 misfits and becomes their friend. They start hanging out individually and eventually they both fall for him. The guy Nash has already dibbed him so Maggie can't like him even though she does. Maggie is struggling with being overweight and everyone telling her to lose weight and to just ...more
Amelia Street
GERM's Interview with Kris Dinnison, author of You and Me and Him 1 4 Jul 07, 2015 12:43PM

• Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • The Thing I Didn't Know I Didn't Know (Russel Middlebrook The Futon Years, #1)
  • Private Display of Affection
  • Stick
  • Anything Could Happen
  • Kaleidoscope Song
  • Life Happens Next
Kris Dinnison learned to read when she was five years old. She grew up reading books nobody else had read and listening to music nobody else had heard of and thinking she was weird, which she kind of was. She spent nearly two decades as a teacher and librarian working with students from kindergarten to graduate school. The bulk of that time she spent teaching High School English while dreaming of ...more
“I don't think I could ever put myself out there like there, not without some guarantees."Hormones win every time." "So you think it's all just physical?" "No but we don't get to choose who we fall for.” 1 likes
“I feel the same way about songs as I do about books. Once I start them, it drives me a little crazy not to finish them.” 0 likes