Start by marking “The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)

The Ghost Fields

(Ruth Galloway #7)

The chilling discovery of a downed World War II plane with a body inside leads Ruth and DCI Nelson to uncover a wealthy family’s secrets in the seventh Ruth Galloway mystery.

Norfolk is suffering from record summer heat when a construction crew unearths a macabre discovery—a downed World War II plane with the pilot still inside. Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway quickly
Published May 19th 2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published March 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Fields, please sign up.
Judy Crudele You can read as a standalone but might get more if you have read from beginning. She is a slightly overweight, middle-aged archeologist who always…moreYou can read as a standalone but might get more if you have read from beginning. She is a slightly overweight, middle-aged archeologist who always stumbles on a body and solves they mystery. She has a child with the detective from a one night stand when they were stranded together while working a case. His wife knows about it. This is all mentioned in this book so I am not giving away secrets. He doesn't leave his wife. She keeps trying to have a relationship with other men (not all at once), but it never quite works. Part of me keeps hoping she will hook up with the detective, but then the series probably wouldn't be s good. She is one of my favorite authors. (less)

Frances
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the seventh series Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson and Ruth Galloway, a forensic archaeologist, are notified that a digger has unearthed an old plane from the Second World War II with a dead pilot inside. Galloway immediately determines the dead body did not die in the crash but had recently been placed inside and killed by a bullet through the head. The Ghost Fields is not only a crime novel, but an intricate story evolving around the main characters keeping the reader well entertaine ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A buried WWII plane is found with its pilot still in the cockpit. But Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway soon discover that the man in the plane has been placed there. Who was he and why was he placed inside the plane?

The Ghosts Fields are the seventh book in the Ruth Galloway series and I have read them all so I was quite happy when I was approved from this book over on NetGalley. Actually, I wasn't supposed to read this book now, but I let it get ahead in the queue since I really wanted to r
Rachel Hall
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two years on from Ruth's appearance on TV and with a book under her belt she is singlehandedly going some way towards "putting the University of North Norfolk on the map", less for its archaeological connections and more for the rising crime rates one suspects! In this seventh outing featuring the forensic archaeologist, Dr Ruth Galloway, once again Elly Griffiths has made great use of Norfolk's historical connections to deliver a hugely satisfying puzzle to unravel. Followers of this series wil ...more
Ingrid
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Sue
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Ruth Galloway series continues to be one of my favorites. It has what I want and require from a mystery series: an intelligent and sympathetic protagonist; a mixture of mystery and "other", in this case archeology, a personal favorite interest; interesting and developed characters and relationships as well as relationships that grow over time; and of course a mystery that I want answered. Being a long-time Anglophile, the English setting doesn't hurt either!

In this episode, during the cleari
Richard
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, own
Reading a Dr Ruth Galloway, Elly Griffiths novel is like catching up with an old friend, or putting on those comfy slippers after an arduous day on your feet. It is bliss, comfortable and comforting and leaves a smile on your face.
This is the seventh in series that is becoming stronger with her wide cast of characters seemingly able to hold the stage while everything flows wondeerfully through Ruth.
The writer wonderfully reviews the previous interactions in her books without repeating vast pages
Susan Johnson
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite mystery series currently and I love the main character, Ruth Galloway. Galloway is a fortiesh archeologist professor at an university in northern England. She is called in to help on cases when bones are found and the police have no idea how old they are. She is fiercely independent and lives out in the middle of nowhere raising her six year old daughter.

In this installment, a bulldozer makes a grizzly discovery of a WWII airplane with the pilot still instill inside. Gallow
Joan
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Leah
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, crime
Middle-aged hanky-panky...

When developers start to dig up a field prior to building houses on it, the work is brought to a sudden halt by the discovery of a buried WW2 plane, complete with partially mummified corpse. Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway is called in, and spots something the police have unaccountably missed – a bullet hole in the corpse's forehead. Immediately knowing (psychically) that this wound was not caused during an airfight, she leaps to the conclusion that the man was the
Kathy
2013 was one of my best reading years ever. It was the year that I discovered Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series and got to read the first five Ruth Galloway novels one right after the other. It was a blissful reading spring that year. But, once you're up to speed in a series, there is the yearly wait for the next book, and in a favorite series such as this one by Elly Griffiths, it's a hard wait. Once again, it was worth the wait. The Ghost Fields brought to life those characters I missed so ...more
Brenda
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Fields is the name given to the old World War II airfields in Norfolk. A crashed WWII plane is found during some construction, and there is a body in the cockpit. This book is also about an aristocratic family who have lived in Norfolk for generations and the secrets in their history. And there's also the continuing relationships between Ruth, Nelson, Michelle, Judy, Cathbad, and Clough.

There are surprises in this book! The author consistently shows her characters growing and evolving over
Moonlight Reader
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent the weekend reading the most recent three booksin this series & now I'm caught up until The Chalk Pit is released at the end of May. I think that this was my least favorite of the three I read this weekend - I didn't love the mystery.

To talk for a moment about the characters, I'm pretty tired of eternal Nelson - Ruth - Michelle triangle. It is unclear to me what either of those women find to hold on to in their relationships with him. Someone needs to shit or get off the pot. I thou
Barbara
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like this series, and in this story, we see forensic archeologist Ruth Galloway continue to be non-committal in relationships with men, and doing her best to juggle her university teaching job, being a consultant for the police, and raising her 5-year-old daughter Kate. The title comes from the name used for abandoned World War II airbases scattered along the Norfolk coast. Many (most?) were used by American planes and pilots. A local lad from a family of gentry, the Blackstocks, had go ...more
Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
Great labyrinthine modern day murder mystery dating back to World War 2.

A dead body is found in a buried World War 2 aircraft wreck, but it's not the original pilot... Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway aids DCI Nelson to help solve the mystery.

This is my second book by Elly Griffiths and my first of the Ruth Galloway series. The character of Ruth works really well. She's strong, but with the human frailties we all have and prefer to keep hidden.

The book captures the beautiful Norfolk coast w
Ingie
Review written March 14, 2019

4.4 Stars - Simply a smooth, nice and solid good British crime case solved by my favorites MC’s

Book #7

Very much enjoyed the 10:47 hrs audiobook (in a Swedish translation) perfectly narrated by the always delightful voice of Angela Kovács. No long winding review from me today, maybe some day ... or never? Whatever, I felt this seventh part a tiny bit better than some of the previous past ones. Looking forward to start book 8.

I LIKE - Ruth ... and dear Nelson
Lyn Elliott
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, england
Once I started, I had to keep reading.
Elly Griffiths tells a good story, the settings, the characters and the relationships between them are far from formulaic and even though I jumped from Book 1 to Book 7 in the series I could very easily keep track of the changes in the lives of the main characters.

A good crime read.
Nancy (essayist)
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, mystery
I've read all of Griffith's Ruth Galloway mysteries over the last few weeks. Things I like about the series: the setting: the idea of real life women's concerns (like arranging child care) as part of a mystery series; the blend of archeology, mythology, and history; and the ongoing stories of the cast of characters. However, the last item is also what I've grown to dislike about the series: while it's fun to see some of the supporting players evolving, there's a sense that Ruth, the central char ...more
Cathy Cole
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elly Griffiths' Dr. Ruth Galloway series is one of my must-buys, and it just keeps getting better with each new book. In The Ghost Fields, the weather plays an integral part in the action, first with unrelenting heat and then with endless rain and flooding. Griffiths makes Norfolk come to life, and her choice of title is particularly evocative. This book talks not only of the abandoned air fields of World War II, but other "ghost fields" from centuries past. Ruth is dealing with a Bronze Age bur ...more
Lynn
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Ruth Galloway series is my favorite series. I look forward to each book that is written and published. Since many have already given a synopsis of the book, I will say what I like about this series.

One can read this as a stand alone book and still be able to follow it. However, I feel the reader would be missing the character development that has happened in the past six books. As a reader, I now care about Ruth and all the other regular characters because of the of the occurrences in past b
Damaskcat
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Galloway is called in to investigate the discovery of a crashed World War II plane buried in a field with the pilot still inside. But Ruth doesn't believe the body has been there since the plane crashed and thinks it has been buried somewhere else and moved to the plane recently. The plane and the body are discovered at the start of a controversial building development of luxury holiday homes. Ruth's investigation brings her into contact once again with DI Harry Nelson.

This is a fascinating
Ellen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths.

This is the 7th in the Ruth Galloway mystery series and happily my 7th. The reason I keep reading this wonderful series is not only for the realistic characters and evolving relationships...it's the endings. This story in particular is my favorite one to date. One thing I can count on with this author, E.G., is her endings. They never fail to confound me completely. This ending I never saw coming.
The Edward Spens construction company is busy these days. Busy d
Lisa B.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
This continues to be one of my favorite series.
Barbara
Another enjoyable Ruth Galloway mystery, although i am finding them rather predictable. But this is part of the charm. We all want to know if Ruth and Nelson will ever get together, but once we know, it will spoil the story - so please keep us in suspense!
Mike Sumner
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. The Ghost Fields is number 7 and it really is as well to read them in order as there are threads that run through the series that lock your interest and enthusiasm for the characters.

Dr Ruth Galloway is a professor of forensic archaeology at the University of North Norfolk. She likes cats (an endearing trait for me!), Bruce Springsteen, bones and books. She does not like organised religion. She has a now five-year-old daughter, Kate, fathered by
Manda
Absolutely love this series, one of my all-time favourites. Ruth is so real to me, and I think she's fabulous. Should this series come to an end I'll be bereft. So far though, still three books to go, yippee!

My rating strategy:

5 stars = An all time favourite, I could tell you about this 10 years later

4 stars = Loved this, really gripping/fun/exciting, will remember long term

3 stars = Definitely enjoyed, might forget quickly though, but happy to read more by the author

2 stars = Likely to have som
Mystereity Reviews
Deducted half a star because there wasn't a lot of Cathbad. *sigh* I love Cathbad. #CharacterCrush

So the plot in this book, the 7th in the Ruth Galloway series, was very Shakespearean. Fathers, sons, brothers, a dash of crazy, a scant teaspoon of biblical floods, a dollop of romance and a pinch of marital infidelity. All that was missing was the where-fore-art-thou's. A WWII plane is uncovered in a field with skeletal remains inside, which leads Ruth, Nelson and the team to an eccentric area fam
Roman Clodia
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Ruth Galloway but as I've pointed out in other reviews Griffiths isn't always the most accomplished of plotters: here she has overcome that shortfall and has produced a book with all the trademark wonderful characterisation ('Phil looks at her quizzically. He doesn't always get irony unless he's concentrating'), sly observation ('Nelson, watching as Clough selects two biscuits conveniently stuck together') and outrageous wit ('Clough, who has been maintaining a stunned silence, says 'Are ...more
Naomi
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: The Blackstocks have some 'splainin' to do when a downed WWII bomber is found buried on their property during a construction project. When it turns out the skeleton can't be from the 40's, they have even more explaining to do.

Can Ruth and Nelson unravel the mystery before becoming the next set of skeletal remains and just who is the new potential love interest with an eye for Ruth?

My rating: As usual, 5 stars!

My opinion: Another winner in the Ruth Galloway series. It always amazes me
Kim
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley, n
The first book I've read in the Ruth Galloway series- but will check out more.

A WWII plane is discovered with a pilot inside. The Forensic archaeolgist Rurh Galloway knows that the body can't have been there since the war and DNA shows that he is a local man who was reported dead in a plane whtat went down over the sea. The family are disturbed by the news. But just what happened and is someone in the family responsible for attacks happening around the family?

A TV company is making a documentary
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 13 Jan 10, 2019 02:09PM
Play Book Tag: The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths - 4 stars 2 11 May 28, 2018 06:48PM
Errors in military information 8 30 Feb 14, 2016 06:36AM

• To Dwell in Darkness (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #16)
  • Lake of Sorrows (Nora Gavin, #2)
  • Cold Earth (Shetland Island, #7)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • A Particular Eye for Villainy (Lizzie Martin, #4)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • Murder on a Mystery Tour
  • The Language of the Dead (Inspector Lamb, #1)
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

Ruth Galloway (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • The Woman in Blue (Ruth Galloway, #8)
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
“If the day and the night are such that you greet them with joy . . . that is your success. All nature is your congratulation . . .” 0 likes
“not” 0 likes