Start by marking “The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)

The Ghost Fields

(Ruth Galloway #7)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  11,557 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews
The chilling discovery of a downed World War II plane with a body inside leads Ruth and DCI Nelson to uncover a wealthy family’s secrets in the seventh Ruth Galloway mystery.

Norfolk is suffering from record summer heat when a construction crew unearths a macabre discovery—a downed World War II plane with the pilot still inside. Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway quickly
Published May 19th 2015 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published March 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Fields, please sign up.
Judy Crudele You can read as a standalone but might get more if you have read from beginning. She is a slightly overweight, middle-aged archeologist who always stu…moreYou can read as a standalone but might get more if you have read from beginning. She is a slightly overweight, middle-aged archeologist who always stumbles on a body and solves they mystery. She has a child with the detective from a one night stand when they were stranded together while working a case. His wife knows about it. This is all mentioned in this book so I am not giving away secrets. He doesn't leave his wife. She keeps trying to have a relationship with other men (not all at once), but it never quite works. Part of me keeps hoping she will hook up with the detective, but then the series probably wouldn't be s good. She is one of my favorite authors. (less)

·  11,557 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews

Start your review of The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)
Phrynne
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2020
Are the books in this series really getting better and better, or am I just becoming a Ruth Galloway fan? Whatever the reason I enjoyed this book enormously and that is despite the fact that I am usually not keen on books written in the present tense.

It is always good to catch up with Ruth and Nelson and the rest of the crew. There are some shocks in this book about relationships, and a couple of characters I never really liked much anyway are in the doghouse now as far as I am concerned. If an
Liz
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

It’s the rare mystery author that can combine a good mystery with engaging characters, a quirky sense of humor and a bit of education thrown in. But Griffiths does it easily. Ruth is just a wonderful heroine and I adore her sense of humor. With a possible large discovery of a Bronze Age burial site, the university undertakes a DNA study. When Cathbad announces he is taking part because he's sure he has ancient druidical blood, Ruth tells him she’s not sure they have a section called Mad Druid.

M
Frances
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the seventh series Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson and Ruth Galloway, a forensic archaeologist, are notified that a digger has unearthed an old plane from the Second World War II with a dead pilot inside. Galloway immediately determines the dead body did not die in the crash but had recently been placed inside and killed by a bullet through the head. The Ghost Fields is not only a crime novel, but an intricate story evolving around the main characters keeping the reader well entertaine ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A buried WWII plane is found with its pilot still in the cockpit. But Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway soon discover that the man in the plane has been placed there. Who was he and why was he placed inside the plane?

The Ghosts Fields are the seventh book in the Ruth Galloway series and I have read them all so I was quite happy when I was approved from this book over on NetGalley. Actually, I wasn't supposed to read this book now, but I let it get ahead in the queue since I really wanted to r
Heidi
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite the strange present tense (it never bothered me until this entry— but it’s true that the tense can be disarming), I enjoyed both the mystery which included several generations of victims in one prominent landholding family and the personal tensions in Ruth’s private life.

Lots of characters to keep track of and lots of victims— some just attacked and others killed. Almost an embarrassing amount of related victims.

But never fear, the Norfolk detectives, aided but my favorite archeology p
Rachel Hall
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two years on from Ruth's appearance on TV and with a book under her belt she is singlehandedly going some way towards "putting the University of North Norfolk on the map", less for its archaeological connections and more for the rising crime rates one suspects! In this seventh outing featuring the forensic archaeologist, Dr Ruth Galloway, once again Elly Griffiths has made great use of Norfolk's historical connections to deliver a hugely satisfying puzzle to unravel. Followers of this series wil ...more
Sue
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Ruth Galloway series continues to be one of my favorites. It has what I want and require from a mystery series: an intelligent and sympathetic protagonist; a mixture of mystery and "other", in this case archeology, a personal favorite interest; interesting and developed characters and relationships as well as relationships that grow over time; and of course a mystery that I want answered. Being a long-time Anglophile, the English setting doesn't hurt either!

In this episode, during the cleari
Ingrid
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Richard
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, first-reads
Reading a Dr Ruth Galloway, Elly Griffiths novel is like catching up with an old friend, or putting on those comfy slippers after an arduous day on your feet. It is bliss, comfortable and comforting and leaves a smile on your face.
This is the seventh in series that is becoming stronger with her wide cast of characters seemingly able to hold the stage while everything flows wondeerfully through Ruth.
The writer wonderfully reviews the previous interactions in her books without repeating vast pages
Lisa Vegan
I enjoyed and was grateful for the family tree at the start of the book. I like that this series has this sort of extra information and sometimes maps. I also appreciate the author’s note at the end which explains which places, events, etc. are real and which are fictional.

I liked the mystery. It did get really complicated at the end but I didn’t get annoyed the way I have in another couple of books regarding certain people unnecessarily running into danger.

It’s the main recurring and sometimes
Brenda
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Fields is the name given to the old World War II airfields in Norfolk. A crashed WWII plane is found during some construction, and there is a body in the cockpit. This book is also about an aristocratic family who have lived in Norfolk for generations and the secrets in their history. And there's also the continuing relationships between Ruth, Nelson, Michelle, Judy, Cathbad, and Clough.

There are surprises in this book! The author consistently shows her characters growing and evolving over
Joan
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Leah
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2015
Middle-aged hanky-panky...

When developers start to dig up a field prior to building houses on it, the work is brought to a sudden halt by the discovery of a buried WW2 plane, complete with partially mummified corpse. Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway is called in, and spots something the police have unaccountably missed – a bullet hole in the corpse's forehead. Immediately knowing (psychically) that this wound was not caused during an airfight, she leaps to the conclusion that the man was the
Kathy
2013 was one of my best reading years ever. It was the year that I discovered Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series and got to read the first five Ruth Galloway novels one right after the other. It was a blissful reading spring that year. But, once you're up to speed in a series, there is the yearly wait for the next book, and in a favorite series such as this one by Elly Griffiths, it's a hard wait. Once again, it was worth the wait. The Ghost Fields brought to life those characters I missed so ...more
Susan Johnson
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite mystery series currently and I love the main character, Ruth Galloway. Galloway is a fortiesh archeologist professor at an university in northern England. She is called in to help on cases when bones are found and the police have no idea how old they are. She is fiercely independent and lives out in the middle of nowhere raising her six year old daughter.

In this installment, a bulldozer makes a grizzly discovery of a WWII airplane with the pilot still instill inside. Gallow
Hilary
Read as a buddy read with Lisa Vegan, we read about 50 pages a day at the same time and then discussed.

I really enjoyed this mystery, as with all the books in this series, the mystery revolves around a police investigation and Ruth Galloway who is called upon for archeological knowledge. This mystery features a family called the Blackstocks and some mysterious deaths and attacks on family members. Ruth has a visit from her American friend Frank and Kate celebrates her 5th birthday.

We catch up on
Christine PNW
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent the weekend reading the most recent three booksin this series & now I'm caught up until The Chalk Pit is released at the end of May. I think that this was my least favorite of the three I read this weekend - I didn't love the mystery.

To talk for a moment about the characters, I'm pretty tired of eternal Nelson - Ruth - Michelle triangle. It is unclear to me what either of those women find to hold on to in their relationships with him. Someone needs to shit or get off the pot. I thought,
Barbara
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like this series, and in this story, we see forensic archeologist Ruth Galloway continue to be non-committal in relationships with men, and doing her best to juggle her university teaching job, being a consultant for the police, and raising her 5-year-old daughter Kate. The title comes from the name used for abandoned World War II airbases scattered along the Norfolk coast. Many (most?) were used by American planes and pilots. A local lad from a family of gentry, the Blackstocks, had go ...more
Cold War Conversations Podcast
Great labyrinthine modern day murder mystery dating back to World War 2.

A dead body is found in a buried World War 2 aircraft wreck, but it's not the original pilot... Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway aids DCI Nelson to help solve the mystery.

This is my second book by Elly Griffiths and my first of the Ruth Galloway series. The character of Ruth works really well. She's strong, but with the human frailties we all have and prefer to keep hidden.

The book captures the beautiful Norfolk coast w
Nancy (essayist)
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
I've read all of Griffith's Ruth Galloway mysteries over the last few weeks. Things I like about the series: the setting: the idea of real life women's concerns (like arranging child care) as part of a mystery series; the blend of archeology, mythology, and history; and the ongoing stories of the cast of characters. However, the last item is also what I've grown to dislike about the series: while it's fun to see some of the supporting players evolving, there's a sense that Ruth, the central char ...more
3.75 stars. I enjoy this series and will continue on with it, but at times it can become a bit soap opera-ish. Due to recent developments, I have a feeling this trend will continue.

Having said that though, it is addictive and I do love these characters, as well as the audiobook narration. So I will keep going but I expect it to become more and more dramatic as we go, which moves it a bit from my "creepy British countryside" sweet spot where this series has sat for some time.
Ingie
Review written March 14, 2019

4.4 Stars - Simply a smooth, nice and solid good British crime case solved by my favorites MC’s

Book #7

Very much enjoyed the 10:47 hrs audiobook (in a Swedish translation) perfectly narrated by the always delightful voice of Angela Kovács. No long winding review from me today, maybe some day ... or never? Whatever, I felt this seventh part a tiny bit better than some of the previous past ones. Looking forward to start book 8.

I LIKE - Ruth ... and dear Nelson
Barbara Heckendorn
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another good Ruth Galloway thriller. While Ruth is at a Bronze Age excavation site, a WWII plane is found buried in the neighborhood. In the cockpit sits a corpse from the same time, only Ruth has to realize that this body was recently placed in the cockpit. With the help of modern technology, it quickly becomes clear that he is dead. The question that needs to be clarified is how did he get to this place?
It was a fun read from the first to the last page.
(4½)
Jo
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think Griffiths couldn't possibly come up with another excavation story - Bing! She's brilliant!
Lyn Elliott
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, england
Once I started, I had to keep reading.
Elly Griffiths tells a good story, the settings, the characters and the relationships between them are far from formulaic and even though I jumped from Book 1 to Book 7 in the series I could very easily keep track of the changes in the lives of the main characters.

A good crime read.
Lynn
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Ruth Galloway series is my favorite series. I look forward to each book that is written and published. Since many have already given a synopsis of the book, I will say what I like about this series.

One can read this as a stand alone book and still be able to follow it. However, I feel the reader would be missing the character development that has happened in the past six books. As a reader, I now care about Ruth and all the other regular characters because of the of the occurrences in past b
Cathy Cole
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elly Griffiths' Dr. Ruth Galloway series is one of my must-buys, and it just keeps getting better with each new book. In The Ghost Fields, the weather plays an integral part in the action, first with unrelenting heat and then with endless rain and flooding. Griffiths makes Norfolk come to life, and her choice of title is particularly evocative. This book talks not only of the abandoned air fields of World War II, but other "ghost fields" from centuries past. Ruth is dealing with a Bronze Age bur ...more
Eadie
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
This is the 7th installment of Ruth Galloway mystery series and did not disappoint. Elly Griffiths can tell a good story with a great plot and excellent well-developed characters. Always entertaining, her novels keep you hooked until the end. This one also had interesting historical information about WWII in Norfolk. I love following the relationship between Nelson and Ruth and I eagerly look forward to each new book by Griffith and recommend her highly.
Mike Sumner
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. The Ghost Fields is number 7 and it really is as well to read them in order as there are threads that run through the series that lock your interest and enthusiasm for the characters.

Dr Ruth Galloway is a professor of forensic archaeology at the University of North Norfolk. She likes cats (an endearing trait for me!), Bruce Springsteen, bones and books. She does not like organised religion. She has a now five-year-old daughter, Kate, fathered by
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 13 Jan 10, 2019 02:09PM
Play Book Tag: The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths - 4 stars 2 12 May 28, 2018 06:48PM
Errors in military information 8 31 Feb 14, 2016 06:36AM

• For barnets bedste
  • Tästä pelistä pois (Anna Glad, #3)
  • Elämänlanka (Ellen Lähteen tutkimuksia, #3)
  • Kun kuningas kuolee
  • Hyvitys (Delta, #2)
  • Mellan djävulen och havet (Doggerland, #3)
  • Kaikki me kuolemme kerran (Zetterman #5)
  • Luopiot
  • De stumme piger
  • Pisara veressä (Koskinen, #25)
  • Jälkikaiku (Maria Kallio, #15)
  • Isola (Kørner/Werner #5)
  • Sanatoriet
  • På date med en morder
  • Pukija (Syrjästäkatsojan tarinoita #8)
  • Vår egen lilla hemlighet (Hagfors, #4)
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway novels take for their inspiration Elly's husband, who gave up a city job to train as an archaeologist, and her aunt who lives on the Norfolk coast and who filled her niece's head with the myths and legends of that area. Elly has two children and lives near Brighton. Though not her first novel, The Crossing Places is her first crime novel.

Ruth Galloway (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway, #3)
  • A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #4)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway, #6)
  • The Woman in Blue (Ruth Galloway, #8)
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)