Start by marking “Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook” as Want to Read:
Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook

Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  533 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A complete course on Korean cuisine for the home cook by the YouTube star and the world's foremost authority on Korean cooking

Her millions of fans compare her to Julia Child. An Internet sensation, Maangchi has won the admiration of home cooks and chefs alike with her trademark combination of good technique and good cheer as she demonstrates the vast and delicious cuisine
Published May 19th 2015 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published May 5th 2015)

Alia
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I like this book but since I lived in Korea for four years, it left me wanting more. There are great basic dishes in here but it's more for someone just starting out exploring Korean cuisine. I wanted more and more. For what it is, it's a good sturdy guide and is a very well bound and photographed book.

Maangchi is cool. I enjoy her YouTube channel and website. I wish she'd included hangul along side the romanized Korean words because it is so much easier than trying to discern romanized Korean..
Delmy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
oh my guys, this book is amazing!! makes you so hungry!!

Claire
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The most in-depth, comprehensive description of the basics of Korean cuisine. Full of information, photos, faqs, tutorials, and every type of recipe under the sun. Also I loved the pink color accents 😭
A
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maangchi delights. As a cookbook lover and a Maangchi devotee, I must say these recipes are impeccable. Her work shines through and the photographs are frequently delightful. Her pictures of common grocery items was also very helpful. The book is scattered with FAQs and testimonials from her fans. If you want to learn how to make some great homemade Korean food, then most certainly buy this book. This is meant to be used and not merely looked at.
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, since I reviewed The Silver Spoon, may as well do my other go-to cookbook: MAANGCHI.

I don't know how I found Maangchi, but - like most people? - I found her on YouTube. She's awesome. I love her. What a hero. Her name means "Hammer" in Korean, I think she used it for some MMORPG games? I dunno. She's hilarious.

Anyway, I've always been daunted by Korean cooking. Bibimbap seems very mysterious to me. What is this magic? So I was amazed and surprised and VERY HAPPY to learn, via cooking Maan
Robert Davis
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I really like the layout, format and construction of the book, along with the many photos. This is a real treat for a beginner on Korean cuisine. I especially love the recipes for:

Korean Style Curry Rice (Ka-re-rice) p.42
Spicy Soft Tofu Stew (Sundubu-jjigae) p. 90
Spicy Beef and Vegetable Soup (Yukgaejang) p. 96
Kimchee Pancake (Kimchijian) p. 182.

I do have difficulty locating some of the authentic Korean ingredients, such as:

Korean Curry powder (Ka re garu)
Korean Hot Pepper Flakes (Gochu garu)
Kor
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, library
Beautiful book. Plenty of information for someone like me who has little experience with Korean food. I'll be adding this to my cookbook collection.
Rambling Reader
OMG hungry now!
Olivier Delaye
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so cookbooks aren't exactly what I like to read or review--I'm more of a Fiction and if possible Fantasy kind of guy--but you have to understand that I have a passion for Korean cuisine. I simply can't get enough of it. I discovered it when I was living in... er, well, Japan, and ever since I took my first bite of kimchi I knew that Korean food was for me. Then, as luck would have it, I discovered Maangchi on Youtube and tried to reproduce her recipes, with more or less success. I kept at ...more
Aaron
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I lived in South Korea for two years, and one thing I really miss about living in Korea would definitely be the food, especially since I live a decent drive away from the nearest Korean restaurant. This cook book really picks up the slack in that regard, as the recipes Maangchi uses are all presented in a way that's easy to understand and replicate, and since the recipes come from her YouTube channel, it is very easy to find a real-time demonstration of how to cook the dishes and make sure that ...more
Kristin
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This got my Korean mother-in-law's seal of approval, she even asked for a few recipes out of it (after proudly informing me and my husband that she cooks what her mom cooked and doesn't need recipes).

Super excited to make all my husband's favorite comfort foods. What I have made so far has been delicious, I can't wait to try to make more.
James
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A good cookbook but many of the recipes have added sugar and there's a fair amount of meat. She's produced many YouTube videos and has an excellent website, maangchi.com , I recommend starting there, the resources section is current and it has many of the books recipes.
Athena Aspeslagh
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great collection of Korean recipes. Also love the description of the ingredients at the beginning of the book, and the possible substitutes, as Korean ingredients are not always easy to find. The recipes are easy to follow, and the ones I've tried so far were very tasy.
Elaine
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, korean
I really enjoy Maangchi's approach to cooking. All of her recipes are very clear and anyone looking to make Korean cuisine (sometimes she makes it look too easy!) should look at her recipes. No excuse for Korean cravings when you got Maangchi by your side. ^^
Stephanie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having never cooked Korean food before, Maangchi's book was a great introduction to this culture's food! I tried a couple recipes from the book, and they were simple and delicious.
Hion Lee
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand straightforward recipes. The dishes that are covered represent a good spread of Korean cuisine.
Sarah Hehn
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Maangchi's recipes and her videos on You Tube
Wendy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this book is amazing for the whole chapter devoted to various kinds of kim chee, and for the dried beef jerky recipe that one can adapt for a kosher kitchen as well. And the soups... well, the soups, especially in winter, are just amazing. There is something very hearty, pickley, and practical about Korean home cooking. And the writer is just adorable as she tells us techniques for authentic dishes. This book is as much a cultural expedition as it is a manual for good food. Fantastic!
Ashley Granger
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
OK, I found Maangchi during a random youtube binge and really liked her because she is fun to watch and her recipes look delicious. Watching her cook is a trip because she stays, like, unstained by food and "cleans as she goes" which is something my mother tried to drill into me early in life but never really took. However, her recipe book is not really "user friendly" for beginner cooks. While I have been cooking since I was very young, it's been basic shit, so this was like whoa. I don't even ...more
Bekah
While I have only prepared one dish from this cookbook so far, I am already in love. The photographs are beautiful and appetizing, the instructions easy to follow. Maangchi gives you everything you will need to know to successfully cook your way through her book, along with great backstories. If you do not already follow her YouTube channel, I highly recommend it. She is friendly, funny, enthusiastic & encouraging. Even if you have zero interest in cooking (um, what? You need food to survive ...more
Amy
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I discovered Korean dramas in 2010 and they have been my preferred form of entertainment ever since. Food plays a huge part in the dramas, and over time I found myself wondering what my favorite characters were eating and what it tasted like. I started to experiment with making kimchi fried rice, bibimbap, and gimbap. When those weren't enough, I started looking into other dishes. That's when I discovered Maangchi's awesome website and YouTube videos. After trying a few of those dishes, I was ho ...more
Mitsuki
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a dedicated fan of Maangchi. As a montrealer who has access to various Korean restaurants and who is a big drama fan, i wanted to make several dishes myself, notably japchae, spicy soft tofu stew, steamed egg and my boyfriend's all time favourite Tteokbokki. This cookbook provides clear step by step instructions and Maangchi even suggests ingredient substitutes for various needs (eg: vegetarian, less spicy version of a plat). Moreover, Maangchi has a website called www.maangchi.com on which ...more
Erinn Batykefer
Fun, approachable, and authentic. A friend who taught English for a year in Seoul recommended Maangchi's YouTube channel, and she's a hoot! I got a copy of the cookbook when I visited the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt offices last week, and my friend pointed out all the things she missed about everyday Korean food.

The lists of ingredients and substitutions is particularly nice, since some normal ingredients are hard to find in western markets. The names of the dishes are vey literal in this cookboo
Megan
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
this strikes the perfect balance between being accessible to those unfamiliar with korean food, while staying true to the korean roots (maangchi doesn't stray away from anchovies or doenjang, the fermented bean paste). while some of the recipes look time-intensive (that bibimbap especially), she provides plenty of recommendations to make them quicker (in addition to other helpful suggestions categorized as "maangchi and friends").

the reason why i didn't love it was that i'm so used to watching
Claudia Majetich
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a basic introduction to Korean cooking, since a large Korean market opened nearby and I wanted to be able to explore all the new, unfamiliar foodstuffs I found there. The list of ingredients at the beginning was very helpful. The recipes and accompanying illustrations are clear and gave me confidence that I could try them. Unfortunately, I had to return the book to my local publi library before I actually had a chance to try out some of the recipes. My next step is to buy the b ...more
Melissa
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although not Korean, I grew up in Seoul. I have been following Maangchi for many years and her recipes are always good. I have moved around a bit but her recipes are easy to adjust and she often gives ways to substitute if you can't get a hold of the necessary items. I am lucky enough now to live close to a market that is owned and run by a Korean family so I can get almost any authentic ingredient I need (along with all the treats and snacks I love :). Maangchi is great and this recipe book is ...more
Katie Kwon
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Korean cookbook of my dreams! Passes my Korean American husband's test for authenticity. Recipes are easy to follow and delicious. Maangchi tells us what we can substitute and when we need to seek out the real deal. Oddly lacking in chicken recipes other than the famous KFC, but otherwise fantastic. I can set a real Korean table with all the banchan thanks to this cookbook! Now to explain to my wonderful mother in law how I've learned Korean cooking from someone named Maangchi...
Julie (Jewls Book Blog)
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this cookbook remind me of the dishes my mom made for me as a kid! I am so excited to finally have actual recipes to follow! I've made many of the dishes when I discovered Maangchi on Youtube and having this book handy makes things really convenient. Easy to read recipes accompanied with gorgeous photos, stories, and proper protocol at the table, this cookbook is a must for any Korean kitchen!
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out at the library as I have been following her website for awhile now. It is fantastic and I am going to have to buy it when I can. The format is pleasant and engaging, it is full of knowledge on Korean eating and cooking culture, and I just whipped up an easy recipe from it (Blanched Spinach with Scallions and Sesame) and it was DELICIOUS! A must have for anyone delving into Korean cooking!
SzuszeeQueue
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new go to recipe is the Spicy Tofu Soup. The section on utensils, cookware and ingredients are is especially helpful.

Watch her youtube channel!
  • Plenty
  • Fika: The Art of The Swedish Coffee Break, with Recipes for Pastries, Breads, and Other Treats
  • Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • The Secret Recipes
  • The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook at Home
  • Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes
  • India: The Cookbook
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California
  • Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
  • Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • A Girl and Her Greens
  • The Banh Mi Handbook: Recipes for Crazy-Delicious Vietnamese Sandwiches
  • Cookie Love: More Than 60 Recipes and Techniques for Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
“Spicy Seafood Noodle Soup” 0 likes