Start by marking “Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook” as Want to Read:
Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook

Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook

A complete course on Korean cuisine for the home cook by the YouTube star and the world's foremost authority on Korean cooking

Her millions of fans compare her to Julia Child. An Internet sensation, Maangchi has won the admiration of home cooks and chefs alike with her trademark combination of good technique and good cheer as she demonstrates the vast and delicious cuisine
Published May 19th 2015 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published May 5th 2015)

Start your review of Maangchi's Real Korean Cooking: Authentic Dishes for the Home Cook
Olivier Delaye
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so cookbooks aren't exactly what I like to read or review--I'm more of a Fiction and if possible Fantasy kind of guy--but you have to understand that I have a passion for Korean cuisine. I simply can't get enough of it. I discovered it when I was living in... er, well, Japan, and ever since I took my first bite of kimchi I knew that Korean food was for me. Then, as luck would have it, I discovered Maangchi on Youtube and tried to reproduce her recipes, with more or less success. I kept at ...more
Alia
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I like this book but since I lived in Korea for four years, it left me wanting more. There are great basic dishes in here but it's more for someone just starting out exploring Korean cuisine. I wanted more and more. For what it is, it's a good sturdy guide and is a very well bound and photographed book.

Maangchi is cool. I enjoy her YouTube channel and website. I wish she'd included hangul along side the romanized Korean words because it is so much easier than trying to discern romanized Korean..
Delmy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
oh my guys, this book is amazing!! makes you so hungry!!

Claire
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The most in-depth, comprehensive description of the basics of Korean cuisine. Full of information, photos, faqs, tutorials, and every type of recipe under the sun. Also I loved the pink color accents 😭
A
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maangchi delights. As a cookbook lover and a Maangchi devotee, I must say these recipes are impeccable. Her work shines through and the photographs are frequently delightful. Her pictures of common grocery items was also very helpful. The book is scattered with FAQs and testimonials from her fans. If you want to learn how to make some great homemade Korean food, then most certainly buy this book. This is meant to be used and not merely looked at.
Ruth
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-cooking
The co-author did a great job keeping Maangchi's voice alive in the prose. Maangchi is a video food blogger whose manner is always welcoming. She presents Korean food from all over Korea, not only from the coastal city where she grew up. She's not the type of food person to make you feel bad if you don't eat meat or can't tolerate spicy food or can't get the right kind of cabbage where you live. She's the kind of food person who tells you an authentic substitute for meat, or suggests different ...more
Jane
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoyed this cookbook very much, and will definitely read it again and try the recipes. Some may be a bit too involved for me, but there are quite a few delicious-sounding recipes that I can try !
Angela
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grihastha
Well, since I reviewed The Silver Spoon, may as well do my other go-to cookbook: MAANGCHI.

I don't know how I found Maangchi, but - like most people? - I found her on YouTube. She's awesome. I love her. What a hero. Her name means "Hammer" in Korean, I think she used it for some MMORPG games? I dunno. She's hilarious.

Anyway, I've always been daunted by Korean cooking. Bibimbap seems very mysterious to me. What is this magic? So I was amazed and surprised and VERY HAPPY to learn, via cooking Maan
Robert Davis
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I really like the layout, format and construction of the book, along with the many photos. This is a real treat for a beginner on Korean cuisine. I especially love the recipes for:

Korean Style Curry Rice (Ka-re-rice) p.42
Spicy Soft Tofu Stew (Sundubu-jjigae) p. 90
Spicy Beef and Vegetable Soup (Yukgaejang) p. 96
Kimchee Pancake (Kimchijian) p. 182.

I do have difficulty locating some of the authentic Korean ingredients, such as:

Korean Curry powder (Ka re garu)
Korean Hot Pepper Flakes (Gochu garu)
Kor
Angela
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, food
Beautiful book. Plenty of information for someone like me who has little experience with Korean food. I'll be adding this to my cookbook collection.
Ninja Neko
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After a first trip to South Korea I came back home with a head full of memorable meals, and my (Korean adoptee) boyfriend had gotten completely hooked on this spicy cuisine...

Looking to recreate some of this at home, I ordered this book by accident. I thought it contained a particular japchae recipe I liked, but only upon arrival I noticed it was by a whole other author/cook altogether. But it's been the happiest of accidents! I have found so many treasures in this cookbook, and Maangchi herself
Tabetha
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually made the dish that is on the cover of the book. It was ok. It was my first time frying chicken. My cousin recommended this book. It made me realize how much Korean cooking has become popular. I recently have joined several Korean cooking groups on Facebook and I find myself making Korean dishes and cross-referencing Maangchi's book, online recipes, and the 4-5 other Korean cooking books that I have. Recently I have made seaweed soup, hotteok, cinnamon roll-ppang (maangchi online), Kor ...more
Aaron
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I lived in South Korea for two years, and one thing I really miss about living in Korea would definitely be the food, especially since I live a decent drive away from the nearest Korean restaurant. This cook book really picks up the slack in that regard, as the recipes Maangchi uses are all presented in a way that's easy to understand and replicate, and since the recipes come from her YouTube channel, it is very easy to find a real-time demonstration of how to cook the dishes and make sure that ...more
Keith
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I followed her YT channel for a little while before buying the book. I am already absolutely enamored with Asian cooking of all regions (particularly Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese), so it didn't take much convincing. She's delightful to watch, a talented home cook, and her cookbook is just as charming and full of knowledge. It's also full of gorgeous photos that almost make you want to eat the pages right out of the book. If you love Asian cuisine or are looking to go on a new culinary advent ...more
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t watched her videos prior to reading this book, but will now. I really appreciated how in depth her explanations are for readers like me who are comparatively very unfamiliar with Korean cooking. I especially liked the tips on navigating the Korean grocery store, which I will use at our nearby international store. I often stick to the dry and canned goods there and feel like I can better assess produce now.
Jenn
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully Easy, Yummy Korean Cooking

I made cucumber kimchi for the first time this week. My Korean parents were shocked because I am only 2 parts Korean (the other quarters being Mongolian and Norwegian). Yeah, so i'm not quite white but got a lot in me. Recipe was easy to follow and came out perfectly!! The only thing I did differently was add 1/4 cup more water because my dad loves to eat kimchi juice and rice. Thank you, Maangchi!!
Kristin
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This got my Korean mother-in-law's seal of approval, she even asked for a few recipes out of it (after proudly informing me and my husband that she cooks what her mom cooked and doesn't need recipes).

Super excited to make all my husband's favorite comfort foods. What I have made so far has been delicious, I can't wait to try to make more.
Elaine
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: korean, cookbooks
I really enjoy Maangchi's approach to cooking. All of her recipes are very clear and anyone looking to make Korean cuisine (sometimes she makes it look too easy!) should look at her recipes. No excuse for Korean cravings when you got Maangchi by your side. ^^
Athena Aspeslagh
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great collection of Korean recipes. Also love the description of the ingredients at the beginning of the book, and the possible substitutes, as Korean ingredients are not always easy to find. The recipes are easy to follow, and the ones I've tried so far were very tasy.
James
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A good cookbook but many of the recipes have added sugar and there's a fair amount of meat. She's produced many YouTube videos and has an excellent website, maangchi.com , I recommend starting there, the resources section is current and it has many of the books recipes.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying myself reading this cookbook.

I usually don't "read" a cookbook but i find myself really reading this one. It is easy to understand and is very informative on ingredients. Great book.
Viriam
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is an excellent orientation to Korean food. I especially appreciated the intro, showing the Korean philosophy of food and cooking, very worthwhile. Probably one of the cuisines i am least familiar with, this book was a good intro.
Liselotte
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, non-fiction, owned
Honestly it's a cookbook that does what it should do: Make me very hungry! I haven't really tried the recipes, yet, with the whole pandemic going on it's a bit difficult to get Korean ingredients here, but it's going to be a funtime when I can finally cook again!
Dream Dellton
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-by-june
I don't read and review a lot of cookbooks but this one caught me by surprise. I really like how she explains a lot even the basics of korean cuisine. As I was venturing into korean dishes, I'm really glad I read this book before doing anything else that I would regret.
Princessmombi
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful introduction to Korean cooking in an easy to understand format. If you are at all a fan of her YouTube channel (which I have been following for a few years) this is a nice handy go-to when you want authentic Korean fare and don't want to fire up her videos. Highly recommend!
Stephanie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Having never cooked Korean food before, Maangchi's book was a great introduction to this culture's food! I tried a couple recipes from the book, and they were simple and delicious.
Damien Lee
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand straightforward recipes. The dishes that are covered represent a good spread of Korean cuisine.
Sarah Hehn
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Maangchi's recipes and her videos on You Tube
Anne Lydolf
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Simple, well explained and easy to start. The recipes I have tried so far have been great!
Erik Waiss
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I have non-internet recipes for kimchi and others
« previous 1 3 next »

• Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Momofuku
  • Binging with Babish: 100 Recipes Recreated from Your Favorite Movies and TV Shows
  • The Pho Cookbook: Easy to Adventurous Recipes for Vietnam's Favorite Soup and Noodles
  • Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • Will It Waffle?: Bacon and Eggs to Mac 'n' Cheese, Bibimbap to Chocolate Chip Cookies--53 Irresistible, Unexpected Recipes to Make in a Waffle Iron
  • Korean Home Cooking: Classic and Modern Recipes
  • Veg: Easy and Delicious Meals For Everyone
  • The Haven's Kitchen Cooking School: Recipes and Inspiration to Build a Lifetime of Confidence in the Kitchen
  • BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
  • Dinner: Changing the Game: A Cookbook
  • Nuts in the Kitchen: More Than 100 Recipes for Every Taste and Occasion
  • Pastry Love: A Baker's Journal of Favorite Recipes
  • Dishoom: From Bombay with Love
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook
  • Every Day Is Saturday: Recipes and Strategies for Easy Cooking, Every Day of the Week