Start by marking “Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)

Mechanica

(Mechanica #1)

Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home.

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could
Published August 25th 2015 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Mechanica, please sign up.
Betsy Cornwell Hi! I sold this book the year before Cinder came out (2011), and there have definitely been other mechanic Cinderellas before either of us. That said,…moreHi! I sold this book the year before Cinder came out (2011), and there have definitely been other mechanic Cinderellas before either of us. That said, I know it looks like a copy at this point, and I just have to deal with it. :)(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This passage from the book ironically explains the pacing.
I never expected much of anything to happen, and nothing much did. I was in a constant state of waiting for things to begin.
There are some good things about this book.

1. Strong female character
2. Highly feminist book
3. Beautiful depiction of friendship

And honestly, for me, those are some of the best selling points for any book. But then we come to the bad.

1. BORING AS FUCK

Look, I'm sorry. The book could have the best, most wonderful non
Emily May
Never has a poor execution of a brilliant concept ever hit me so hard. Because this book had the potential to be amazing. It's the most feminist Cinderella retelling I've ever read and the message behind it was PERFECT. Too bad it was so painfully dull.

Let's get it out of the way: despite the similar premise, this book is absolutely nothing like Cinder. It is not about a cyborg Cinderella, it's more of a steampunk Fey book about a genius female mechanic. The writing, the setting and the circumst
Lola
Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.

One advice: Do take that piece of information seriously. Otherwise, you might end up thinking that this is the most awful Cinderella retelling ever written, as I did.

Remember the movie Into the Woods? Remember how, for the most part, it was beautiful and enchanting and i
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Update August 9, 2018: $1.99 on US Amazon. I loved this book!

August 17, 2017: $2.99 on US Amazon. I loved this book!

Previous post:
I really don't get all the low ratings for this. I devoured Mechanica in 24 hours! I've read that people thought it was boring or that the pacing was slow. I just didn't have that experience (and I am someone who can't stand boring, slow-paced books). I guess it's just one of those things.

So, this is NOTHING like Cinder whatsoever, for those wondering. Cinder has a mo
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
More often than not, when a book annoys the fuck out of me, I:

a.) Tell the characters to stuff it;
b.) Roll my eyes every five minutes; and
c.) Throw my book/Kindle across the room (and onto my bed!--no way I'm destroying my babies).

I unfortunately did all three when reading Mechanica. I'm not even sure I have a legitimate reason for doing them--this book wasn't bad by any means. It was just so incredibly boring that it ended up becoming slightly frustrating. I don't get my logic either. Don't ask
Faye, la Patata
Don't get me wrong - despite my three-star rating, this has got to be the most refreshing Cinderella reimagination I've read.

I've always wanted more fairy tale retellings in a Steampunk setting. It's new, it's unique, and visualizing all the gears and machines around characters who are based on our favorite tales from childhood simply gives me the warm fuzzies. All the possibilities! All the unique things our character can do with herself and with her surroundings!

In that aspect, this book certa
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Edelweiss.)

“I went to the cellar to check on my shoes. The glass had been cooling for hours now, but I still wasn’t sure if they’d be ready in time.”

Maybe it was just because of that pretty cover, but I expected so much more from this book.

I didn’t really like Nicolette in this story, not only did not come across the way I would expect Cinderella to come across, but she s
Taylor Knight
I loved this book right from the beginning. I found it to be fairly close to the Disney version and I actually really liked that. It felt more like a classic fairy tale then some crazy retelling. I loved how this book focused on friendship and not romance. It really was more about Nicolette finding her self and developing friendships than anything else. And I loved that.
I read this book in pretty much one sitting and I was so content with this story. I loved the writing style and the characters
Andreea Pop
Aug 21, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love
Hello, pretty cover!! *pats book*

This looks extremely interesting, but realyyy close to Cinder. Maybe too close. Anyhoo, the only concern I have about it is a part of the synopsis that bugged me: Determined to invent her own happily-ever-after, Mechanica seeks to wow the prince and eager entrepreneurs alike.

You know why? Kiera Cass says it best:

Cinderella never asked for a prince. She asked for a night off and a dress.

So, pretty book, don't ruin Cinderella.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I totally loved the book. I must say when I first saw it, I had one of those, choose a book by it's cover moments. I read the blurb and promptly put it on pre-order, got it today and read the whole thing.

This is an awesome rendition of a Cinderella steampunk novel. But this isn't the fairy-tale ending you are used to so if your going for that, it's not going to happen.

You have Nicolette, Nick for short, who is learning to make mechanical animals, bugs etc fr
Missjjang1
Oct 14, 2014 marked it as to-read
I admit I'm a cover whore, but that cover...HOLY SHIT.

photo motherofgod_zps87d19b4d.jpg
 photo Adventure-Time-Finn-Beautiful_zpspfee1z1x.gif
 photo tumblr_mkdm8ihB6c1qz8x31o3_500_zpsibfkdn5x.gif
 photo 735028_zpslo81qy3m.gif
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Bibbity bobbity . . .

boooooooooooooooo.

I’ve never booed a book before, but there’s a first time for everything.

Where did Mechancia go wrong?

Beware: spoilers everywhere.

I kept waiting, waiting, for something exciting to happen. I was bored with the beginning and the middle and I wasn’t enjoying the characters. Bottom Line: This book is so boring that I might as well have skipped to the end and I wouldn't have missed anything in between.

By the time I hit 80%, I already knew I was in for an underwh
Rebekah
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean, 2015
I wanted to read this because it had a Cinder feel to it. But I read that so many people were turned off by this book because it sounded so much like Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

However I can honestly say this is NOTHING like Cinder and it is it's own unique retelling of Cinderella. Such a classic that retellings will never get old....

FULL REVIEW HERE:
Aly Locatelli
I just... can't do it.

I hate, hate, HATE DNFing ARCs but after getting over halfway through this and still struggling to pick it up every time I put it down, or even turning the page without yawning, I couldn't fool myself into thinking I could finish this.

This book is definitely not for everyone.

It's very slow, for once. The Cinderella fairytale is pretty set in stone, but Betsy Cornwell used faeries and fae lore to add an interesting spin on the story, as well as giving it a steampunk setting.
Courtney Wells
I'm not usually a cover whore but this is honestly making me feel somewhat slutty
Susana
2.5 Stars

E-galley Courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company through Edelweiss

Release Date: August 4 th

First of all, let me start by reiterating something that all the other reviewers have been saying ad infinitum...

This has nothing to do with Cinder, people!

More than a mechanic, Nicolette is actually an inventor.
Also, she has all her limbs...

Yes, in this story our main character lives a very Cinderella type of life... as usual in all the Cinderella fairy tales or retellings tro
Zoraida
Nov 15, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Super excited for this one. Steampunk Cinderella is not the same as Sci/fi Cinderella. There is room for many retellings.
Angelique The Gilded Pages
I really wish people would stop comparing this to Cinder, and just read the damn book. How many Cinderella re-tellings have there been over the years?

Just because this is another one doesn't mean it will be like Cinder. Can you imagine what the author feels after reading all of these comments?

Give it a chance before you start judging it and calling it a knockoff.

EDIT: What the hell was that ending? The first 80% of the book was so good and then it tanked. Review to come closer to release date.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This reminds me too much of Cinder.
Cody
meh.

Let’s get down to brass tax, we have our protagonist Nicolette or ‘Nick’ who resembles the classic Cinderella; she’s an orphan and has two hideous stepsisters and an evil stepmother. She is made to do all the housework, chores and to be at her family's beck and call. Nick wishes to be free from her family, to be independent and to become a famous inventor. On her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers her mother’s old workroom filled with old inventions and blueprints. Nicolette is determin
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
I am crying right now.

LOOK AT THAT COVER. This has to be the most disappointed book I’ve read this year, because I was expecting so much. Even after some negative reviews I kept holding on to the hope that I might like it after all, because we all know how much I love my fairytales. And again, that cover is stunning, so I was hoping the story would live up to it. Now let me go sit in a corner and weep, while you read my review of this book with potential - and managed to blow it.

The story starte
Beth
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mechanica is a blending of a Cinderellish based story with a steampunk and feminist twist.

Nicolette is orphaned and left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother and stepsisters. They treat her as a servant, hence the Cinderellish I spoke of above. But even with all their cruelity, Nicolette thrives in her ability with mechanics and once she discovers her mother’s secret “workroom” she finds a way out of her desperate situation…by selling her creations.
What I really appreciated about this story:
Nico
Auggie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, arc, edelweiss
As many reviewers have already stated: This is not Cinder. I'm actually a little disappointed that fanatic readers everywhere would immediately assume that this book WAS a copy of Cinder. They have very few similarities other than that they are Cinderella retellings and that advanced technology is in someway (but entirely different ways) involved.

Where Cinder is a cyborg steam-punk sci-fi adventure, Mechanica is a straight-up fantasy with steam-punk elements and lots and LOTS of magic. Truth be
TL
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking through reviews,this seems to be a love it or not like it type of book. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed this spin on the classic tale. Nicolette reminded me sometimes of Danielle from Ever After (one of my favorite movies) in her own way. It endeared her to me more.

I admired her resolve to make a better life for herself, despite her "family" keeping her down. I adored Jules (view spoiler)
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
As much as I wanted to love this novel, unfortunately, it fell flat for me.

I love retellings of classic fairy tales, especially when an author takes creative license and makes the story their own. If anything, the author definitely did succeed in making this a very unique retelling of Cinderella. Actually, I wouldn't even consider it a retelling because it took elements of the original story but it was truly different.

This may be a great read for others but unfortunately I could not get into the
Markéta
So it started amazing and I was intriqued but as it went on my feelings changed and thoughts like "what the hell", "how and why" became more frequent.

Although I love retold stories, so far the only one I really truly enjoyed has been Cinder. This one had so much potentional. In the beginning you think that it will be similiar to Cinder because there are animated inanimate objects but you realize soon that it's nothing alike. In Mechanica there are faes and magic and the world its set in is quit
mith
If you're expecting something like Cinder: don't.
If you're expecting it to follow the Cinderella story: don't.
If you're actually expecting a twist: maybe.
A good one?: well. ehhh...
Isn't Cinderella all about being kind and selfless and all that Confucius ideology? Maybe I'm going overboard (it sounded funnier in my head) but basically: We know Cinderella was never rude. Right?
Right.
Well, here it's kinda...different.
The unique part of this book is that the main character wasn't looking for a princ
Jay G
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/kjOdBBziVmo

4.5 Stars

After the death of both her parents, Nicolette Lampton lives with her Stepmother and two step sisters. Nicolette ends up discovering her mother's workshop and various creations on her 16th birthday and begins to develop the mechanic skills her mother onc
KL (Cat)
3.5 Stars
I know how everyone says it's just another rip-off.

Most important thing: This book is nothing like Cinder. Ok, got it?
Here's a comparison list for the disbelievers:
1) There are no cyborgs
2) Or set in an alt-dystopian Sci-Fi fantasty setting
3) Or has fey creatures from the moon
4) MC is probably white instead of Chinese
5) Nicole's inventions puts Cinder to shame
6) This girl builds a mechanical horse and carriage, alright?
7) The stakes are way higher in Cinder, but this is more of a... bi
nick
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5/5

The alluring cover of Mechanica and the promise of a Cinderella retelling are what drew me into the book. Mechanica was different from what I was expecting, and in a good way. First things first, for those of you worried that this is a replica of Marissa Meyer's Cinder, believe me when I say that it's completely different from Cinder.

Mechanica was more than a plot-driven book, a character driven story. There were times in the book where it felt slow and if you're more of an action-driven re
YA Buddy Readers'...: Mechanica By Betsy Cornwell - Restarting September 20th 2016 34 59 Aug 28, 2016 03:00AM
Around the Year i...: Mechanica, by Betsy Cornwell 1 11 Apr 20, 2016 02:28PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #84 - Mechanica 3 3 Apr 11, 2016 04:05PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 05, 2015 07:02AM

• Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • A Curse of Ash and Iron
  • Valiant
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Illusionarium
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • Beastkeeper
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • The Crystal Heart
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Spinning Starlight
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Thornspell
Betsy Cornwell is a New York Times bestselling author living in west Ireland. She is the story editor and a contributing writer at Parabola, and her short-form writing includes fiction, nonfiction, and literary translation and has appeared in Fairy Tale Review, Zahir Tales, The Violence Prevention Initiative Journal, and elsewhere. She holds an M.F.A. in creative writing from the University of Not ...more

Mechanica (2 books)
  • Venturess (Mechanica, #2)
“Everything was a broken line for me in those days. I was slipped into the empty spaces between words.” 12 likes
“When your heart is broken, it’s easier to follow rules” 11 likes