Start by marking “Lucky Strike” as Want to Read:
Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Nate Harlow would love to be lucky, just once!

He'd like to win a prize, get picked first, call a coin toss right, even! But his best friend, Genesis Beam (aka Gen), believes in science and logic, and she doesn't think for one second that there's such a thing as luck, good or bad. She doesn't care what names the other kids call them. She cares about being right, about savi
Published February 24th 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Strike, please sign up.
Victoria Osorio the theme is about a little boy who had bad luck his whole life like one of them was that his parents died and so the strike of lighting hit him on…morethe theme is about a little boy who had bad luck his whole life like one of them was that his parents died and so the strike of lighting hit him on his birthday and he lucky survived it.
(less)

Liviania
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nate Harlow is the unluckiest boy in town. His toast is always burnt, and he can never call a coin correctly. He takes pictures of lost shoes, hoping that one day he can reunite a pair, that maybe that will be good luck. Then he's struck by lightning on his birthday and everything turns around.

I liked that LUCKY STRIKE was ambiguous about whether there was anything magical happening. Nate's luck (good and bad) strains credulity, as do other events in the novel, but there is no concrete statement
NebraskaIcebergs
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Lucky Strike is a light-hearted tale about a boy whose fortune changes when he miraculously survives being struck by lightning. Through the use of magical realism, Bobbie Pryon also explores complex themes such as friendship, bullying, and what luck really is. While Lucky Strike might a departure from Pyron’s more serious works, it remains thought-provoking and well written.

Magical realism might seem like a contradiction. After all, the one is about impossible events and the other depicts events
Mindy
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Great story about friendship, the power of hope, and two kids whose lives are changed when one of them gets struck by lightning. Nate is the most unlucky person ever until he survived being struck by lightning. After that his luck changes to good…always. That is good, right? Sometimes good luck is worse than bad luck… and Nate’s good luck may not be so great for his friend, Gen.

I loved the characters in this book. They were so real and likeable. I grew up in a small town where e
Jaina Rose
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I'm beginning to feel old. Yes, old. And don't laugh at me, okay? Sixteen-year-olds are allowed to feel the effects of growing up just as much as adults - in fact, we go through more changes in a shorter amount of time than you do! So when I read a Middle Grade book, one that is targeted to an age group that I was a part of only four years ago, I get a bit nostalgic. I get nostalgic for the days when I was easily wowed, when plots never fe
Gracie Pazdernik
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like these luck books
Laura Thomas
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ask anybody in Paradise Beach who is the unluckiest of them all, they’d unanimously offer the name, Nathaniel Harlow.

Nate is so unlucky when he tries to toast some bread, it doesn’t come out burnt, the toaster shorts out instead. Every box of cracker jacks is consumed with no prize in the bottom.

So who would be the unlucky person to get struck by lightning on his eleventh birthday but Nate. Yep. while playing goofy golf, a bolt came down and blew him clear oot of his favorite red sneakers.

Now th
Julie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Nate is unlucky, and he has been unlucky for as long as he can remember. His grandfather doesn't have much in the southern fishing town where they live, but when he takes Nate to mini-golf for his birthday, the unthinkable happens -- Nate is indirectly struck by lightening and his luck changes dramatically. Lucky Strike is your basic "outcast becomes popular, abandons his real friends for the new cool kids, and eventually learns that friendship and family are everything" story.

Though I enjoyed
Kristen
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Lucky Strike (not to be confused with Lucky Strikes, which I read a few days ago) is basically a story about friendship--what happens when the cool kids start to like you (even if it's for the wrong reasons)? Nate and Gen are quirky and dorky but fit together...but when Nate finds a weird kind of fame after being struck by lightning, their friendship becomes strained, and Nate discovers that luck and fame aren't really all they're cut out to be. Nothing particularly hard-hitting or deep in this ...more
Liza Nahas
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Good story about a kid who thinks he's unlucky until he survives a lightning strike. His luck changes, but he comes to see it may not really be all that "lucky". When his best friend,who he has blown off since he's been asked to hang with the cool kids, gets struck by lightning too, he realizes what true luck is. I liked the Florida setting & side story of the conservancy of the loggerhead turtles.
Corinne
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny, has great characters, an interesting story, and some great science connections. It is perfect for any elementary teacher looking for an interesting and fun book to read with students to discuss theme, symbolism or characters. Or lightning, electricity, string theory, conservation and turtles.
The two main characters are unique and interesting. They have such a generosity of spirit that the reader is immediately on their side. Nate photographs single shoes "mysteriously separat
Amanda Regan
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nate has never been particularly lucky. His parents died when he was four and his dog was carried away in a tornado. His only friend, Gen, is the smartest - and quite possibly the strangest - girl in Paradise Beach. Both Nate and Gen are subjected to bullying from their classmates, but they don't really care, living by the motto "Weirdos and losers stick together through thick and through thin." All that changes, however, when Nate is struck by lightning on his 11th birthday. Suddenly, his life ...more
Mrs. Notton Class
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucky Strike by Bobbie Pyron is about Nate Harlow who lives with his grandfather in a trailer park down in Florida. Nate has always been unlucky and he thinks he always will be unlucky. He really wants this one prize but he thinks he won’t get it because he isn’t lucky enough to win it. His friend, Gen, who loves science, thinks that luck is really true but Nate doesn’t.

On Nate’s birthday at the Goofy Golf mini-golf course, he gets struck by lightning and he survives it. Then the next day he fee
Miss_b
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What are the chances of being struck by lightning? Genesis Beam can answer that. Though it comes as no surprise that 11 year old Nate Harlow is struck by lightning and on his birthday nonetheless. He is, after all, the unluckiest person anyone in their small town of just over 700 people knows. So unlucky that his hound dog previously got snatched up and carried away by a tornado. So unlucky that Nate has never won a coin toss in all of his 11 years. The lightning strike changes Nate's luck thoug ...more
Claudia
Do you believe in luck? Good luck? Bad luck? Nate is certain he has the worst luck in the world, despite the rabbit's foot his grandpa gave him. Nate only has one friend...a weirdo as strange as Nate...but Gen, the smartest girl in town, absolutely does not believe in luck...only science and probability.

A story of friendship, jealousy, the bad luck that comes with bad luck. A story of reaching past the comfortable, and doing what is right.

The question, "do you believe in luck." is not definitive
Sharon Falduto
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
JF book that I read aloud to the rest of the family as we traveled Iowa. Nate Harlowe was always unlucky--until he got struck by lightning, and suddenly seemed to be the luckiest boy in town. His best friend is very analytical, and she doesn't believe in luck. The change in circumstance strains their relationship.

I liked the way the author really grounded this book in a sense of place; it's definitely set in small-town Florida, and it shows in the details.
Bonnie Grover
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student
I fell right into this beautiful story because I have been on the Sweet Jodie fishing boat and celebrated the Billy Bowlegs Festival. I love that this story has great characters who question everything from luck to science to friendship. I'm sure my fifth graders will enjoy this fast-paced story. I hope they are able to make connections and discover new questions as well.
"If you are lucky enough to have a friend, you are lucky enough."
Emily
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Garrison and I read this book together for a book club group at the library. I really liked this book. The theme of friendship and what is most important in life was important for us to share together. I also enjoyed all the spiritualism in it. “Nobody is ever happy with what the lord has blessed them with.” A great line from the book.
Jean-Marie
3.5 stars. The 10-year-old and I liked this story but didn't love it. It takes place in our home state of Florida and touched on many themes familiar to us -- like sea turtles, sandy beaches, and hurricanes.
Emily
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know why, but I'm really struggling to love some of these William Allen White Book Award nominations. :( Am I expecting too much? Is it me? Maybe I'll go into the next one with less expectations and maybe I'll enjoy it more.
JamelleM
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like the book because i loved the drama that happens and all the story changers. I love the books emotions.
Jon Barber
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Good themes and empathy. The ending was a little too “pat” for me. I think my 10 year old will enjoy it.
Patrick Beckett
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of fictional stuff!
Rebecca Sharp
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 really. Took me a while to get in to, but ultimately it was a sweet one and left me with a smile and a happy heart. ❤ ...more
Tiffany
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book on the 2018 Sequoyah list. Of course it is completely unrealistic but also a great look at friendship and what it really means.
Gaye Sanders
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the premise of this Middle Grade novel. The characters were authentic, and I felt like I was in this small town. Loved this!
Retro
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply about true friendships and how true luck is having them.
EJ Breu
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book. It shows that too much of a good thing can be bad.
Katey
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was exciting. I think friendships are important, even if you make new ones. Just don't forget about old friendships. Serious things can happen when struck by lightning.
Kary
2018 Children's Sequoyah Masterlist
Malachi Plunkett
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it because the characters Nat and Gen stick together no matter what happens.
  • Like a River: A Civil War Novel
  • Nickel Bay Nick
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II)
  • Beneath (Beneath, #1)
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic, #2)
  • The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky
  • Nuts to You
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • The Madman of Piney Woods
  • Ava and Pip (Ava and Pip #1)
  • The Great Good Summer
  • Finding Serendipity (Tuesday McGillycuddy, #1)
  • Bo at Ballard Creek
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Whistle in the Dark
  • Lara's Gift
  • The Hero Two Doors Down: Based on the True Story of Friendship Between a Boy and a Baseball Legend

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)