Start by marking “A Balm in Gilead” as Want to Read:
A Balm in Gilead

A Balm in Gilead

Ten years after surviving an assault on a college campus, a woman is stunned to hear of a murder case with markings chillingly similar to her attack. This is the story of how a rape victim reluctantly heads down the path she most fears in the hope that she can find some measure of justice and, most of all, heal herself.

After enduring the kidnapping and sexual assault as a
Published July 13th 2014 by White Bird Publishing (first published July 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Balm in Gilead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Balm in Gilead

Start your review of A Balm in Gilead
Marie Green-McKeon
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Because I'm the author, it's difficult to review of my own work, but I will say that throughout the process, I really enjoyed "living" in my novel, among my characters. As one of my readers said, it was sad to close the book on them.

But to give you a more objective perspective, here's what Kirkus Reviews said of A Balm in Gilead:
"This fine novel will keep readers guessing—even about the good guys’ motives...Fans of crime fiction, mysteries, and psychological thrillers will love this
Amy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
My sister won this from Goodreads and told me it was a must-read so she let me borrow it. I very much enjoyed it. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wish it had went into deeper detail with the relationships that Quinn had (ex: her mother, Joe, ext...). I liked the book because it is different than most. You actually know who the attacker is from the very beginning. Usually you don't find out until the end. It's a page turner. I finished it in 24 hours. It was hard to put ...more
Joanne
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. I actually looked at the cover again to see if it was a true story. The writer captured my imagination with her characters and made me care about them. I read a lot of books and I give them away when I'm done reading them, however I'm keeping this one because I'll want to read it again in the future. I won this book at Goodreads.com.
Joseph Ferguson
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After being raped on her Pennsylvania college campus, Quinn Carlisle testifies at her attacker’s trial. Though convicted, he is mysteriously set free; events that haunt and shape her life until the murder of a woman in another state forces her to again confront her assailant and her own fragile psyche.

McKeon traces in a deceptively effortless style the myriad permutations of Carlisle’s post traumatic stress disorder (PSTD). At first Carlisle tells her tale to everyone. At other times, she can’
David Duncan
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crime mystery and psychological thrillers
Recommended to David by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
A Balm In Gilead, by Marie Green McKeon, is my one hundred and fifty-fourth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. I thought that the story was really interesting. It was a bit different in that right from the beginning who committed the crime.
This book is about a young woman named Quinn Carlisle, who is raped on her Pennsylvania college campus. Her attacker is convicted and is mysteriously set free. Later in the story a woman in another state is raped and murdered. Things at the
Heena Gahlon
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story follows Quinn Carlisle a kidnapping and sexual assault victim who suffers from PTSD. The written bounces from the present to the past in a way which keeps the reader intrigued. As each new detail starts to emerge about Quinn's attack you start to gain insight into the frightening way that Quinn sees the world . This novel does a great job in putting the reader in the victims shoes as the author starts to paint the feelings and struggle that Quinn faces on her way to healing. It's a ...more
Marie Green-McKeon
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

Jackie Stone
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Authentic characters, great story

I ditched hours of housework and read this book over three cups of coffee on a quiet Saturday morning. This story of victims, healing, justice denied moves like lightening. Ms. McKeon's characters are the focus of the book, and they are drawn realistically, not always doing, thinking or feeling what you want them to, which was to me, very compelling.
Brooke
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I kept getting annoyed by the way the police handled certain situations, but I did really enjoy this book. So happy to have won this book, & looking forward to reading more from this author!
MaryAnn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I will say it's a page turner. Mainly for the fact that I kept waiting to see if the boyfriend was a good guy or a bad guy. I did find some things a little annoying but if I talk about them, I'll give too much away.
Glen
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A woman is attacked by a serial rapist, who graduates to killing, and tracks him down.

I couldn't help but feel like I'd read it all before.
Marilyn Stanley
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Considering the subject matter, the author did a fantastic job. there are parts of the book that make you feel like you are Quinn and this is your story.

Great job!!!

rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2015
Amanda
Jun 13, 2015
Marie Green McKeon has been a journalist, an advertising and marketing copywriter, and an editor, as well as an author of fiction, including A Balm in Gilead.

Marie first became enamored with all things editorial while in high school, when she was asked to pitch in and help write headlines for the school newspaper. She was hooked after her second headline. Following college, with a degree in