Start by marking “From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film” as Want to Read:
From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From screenwriting & budgeting to marketing, Simens provides encyclopedic, precise, & creative instruction for putting your vision up on the screen.
Published July 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about From Reel to Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Reel to Deal

Phil Spitzer
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Some very good, very detailed information on making movies cheaply. I didn't really enjoy the constant advertisements for all of the contacts he recommends for everything from camera stores to attorneys. Again, I think there was a lot to learn in this book. I just couldn't shake the feeling that the author was a bit of a hack--and I suppose that's what he's going for, "hacking movies", so this could be positive or negative, depending on how you see it.
Lewis
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dov S-S Simens teaches a two day course on how to create your own film on a small budget. Simens goes into all aspects of the independent film business. It's an extremely practical and useful book. If you're thinking of writing your own film, Simens recommends that you create a story with minimal characters and sets, something that is like a filmed play. That way you will be able to afford producing your project without being drowned in cost overruns.
Travis Hamilton
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've taken Dov's 2 day film class in LA twice and learned much. The book is a great addition to his class. I was a bit concerned though when I ran into Dov at his and mine first American Film Market adventure pushing his film course...in the book he tells how once your film is finished, take it to the markets to sale. I guess he doesn't quite know what it takes on the distribution side of things, but everything prior to distribution he seems to know more about! Still a great read!
Nick Woodall
Very well done book. Extremely well-organized and succinctly written. Tons of reference material and additional helps. If you want to make a movie, then this book is for you! Breaks the movie industry down by budget categories and walks you through the entire process from obtaining movie rights to ultimately marketing the movie worldwide. Excellent!
Azaghedi
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Was expecting some sort of esoteric, hush-hush info from behind the lines, so to speak. All I got was a lot of stuff I already knew, whether that be from the internet or just common sense. Big old "meh" for this one. Maybe the course is better than the book, but I'll never know.
Inggita
Aug 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: film-video
pretty darn good guide for no-budget filmmakers - although the directory is only good for US-based ones. Now we need its structure for the Indian and Indonesian version, right? there's one production guide for the latter, but this book is more comprehensive and to-the-point.
Daylyn
Dec 18, 2008 rated it liked it
If you're a novice or just plain interested in the film industry this is a great book about the film industry, how to get into it and what it takes to succeed.
Natalie
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really intersting book on how to make an indpendent film. The only thing stopping me now is my own fears!
Taryn
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant screenwriting chapter. All around awesome book for filmmakers, should be a must-read.
Bote Thibeault
Nov 10, 2009 is currently reading it
This is better for producers than any other human aspect of movie making
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a seminar in a book. Walks you...no, the writing style is more akin to kicking you in the behind to learn and make your film. Lot of homework in the book.
Joe Panek
Aug 21, 2012
Fernando Pizarro
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • Film Directing Fundamentals: See Your Film Before Shooting
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • The Filmmaker's Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for the Digital Age
  • The TV Writer's Workbook: A Creative Approach To Television Scripts
  • The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook
  • The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
  • My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk about Their First Film
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers
  • Writing Short Films: Structure and Content for Screenwriters
  • The Film Director's Intuition: Script Analysis and Rehearsal Techniques
  • The Shut Up and Shoot Documentary Guide: A Down & Dirty DV Production
  • The 101 Habits Of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insider's Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • Painting With Light
  • Rebel Without a Crew, or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker with $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player
  • The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap