Start by marking “The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share” as Want to Read:

In this follow-up to her successful first book, The Sprouted Kitchen, blogger and author Sara Forte turns her attention to bowl food, which combines vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins in one vessel to make a simple, complete, and nutritious meal.

The bowl is a perfect vessel in which to create simple, delicious, and healthy meals. When gathered together in a s
Published March 31st 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon

Start your review of The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share
Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods Recipes to Savor and Share is Sara Forte’s second cookbook with her husband, Hugh Forte. Sara Forte is a food blogger, and author of the James Beard Award–nominated book The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods. She believes eating seasonally will change a person’s life, and change your take on cooking in the kitchen. She is all about using natural ingredients: whole grains, healthy fats, lean protein, and the like, ...more
Wendi
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
For the last few months I have been very happily making bowls at least once a week. I'm sure you've heard of these delicious creations but if not, Bon Appetit recently provided and excellent primer, How to Make the Grain Bowl of Your Lunchtime Dreams.

When Random House offered the new Sprouted Kitchen cookbook, Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon for early review, I accepted almost as quickly as I did Tana French's new book a few months ago.

I anticipated the majority of the recipes in the book being
Kristen Lo
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I have loved every recipe in this book that I have made. Sara Forte is so good at incorporating vegetables into her recipes, or making them the center-- there is a Kale Salad in here that is the only salad in the world that my mother-in-law likes. I hope Ms. Forte writes many, many cookbooks in the future.
V Luttrell
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, health
This is the sequel to the sprouted kitchen which I got this year for my birthday!The photography and layout of the book is a journey through beautiful pictures and easy to navigate dishes (bowls) that are simple to make and tasty fantastic. I highly recommend giving this a try for healthy, fresh, and very very tasty food. very good recipes. The recipes are simple compared to the healthy ones I mostly accomplish, making it the perfect cookbook for someone interested in getting into healthy eating ...more
Caitlin Hawksley
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Sections: Morning Bowls, Side Bowls, Big Bowls, Sweet Bowls, and Dressings and Sauces.

Pros: I love the concept of this book: compartmental recipes combined into one healthy dish — most of which can be served in a bowl; some of which can be eaten with a spoon. The photos are pretty. Every recipe I tried felt at least somewhat nutritious, and most had a comfort food vibe. Lots of dishes translated well for lunch leftovers.

Cons: None of the recipes I tried truly blew me away. And little details in
Maryalene
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a gorgeous cookbook with beautiful photographs. I would love to sit down and eat many of the meals in this book. I just don't want to make them.

Many recipes seem to have long ingredient lists with fussy preparations. For instance, the Chickpea Deli Salad that I made (5 star recipe, by the way) recommended peeling canned chickpeas. There also seemed to be a lot of spiralized/julienned veggies as well as many ingredients that aren't a regular part of my pantry. All that meant flipping thr
Erin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Clearly this trip to the library involved a lot of vegetarian bowl cookbooks. I am a simple human.

This one is too fussy and too "healthful", though. Totally passable cookbook, but uninspired (I could just read your blog, hon), and it's SO CLEAR that this husband is a photographer because there are entirely too many 1. landscapes 2. macro vegetable shots in this book.
Beka
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
So many gorgeous photos!!! Also, there are plenty of yummy looking, fruit and veggie centered recipes.
Michelle
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed going through this book. Its great for those looking to get simple meals onto the table that are attractive and healthy!
Joanne Eades
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I wish I had time to create these in my kitchen right now. Another season of life...
Irely Knox
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite cook books! It is perfect for my style of cooking!
Kim H.
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Sara Forte's second cookbook, Bowl and Spoon, is a visual feast chocked full of sumptuous bowls of vibrant fare tempting even the pickiest eaters to try a taste.

Forte is a blogger (her husband Hugh is a photographer who enjoys his wife's cooking and capturing said food for the beautiful illustrations in Bowl and Spoon) to whom I was introduced to via this book. She fully admits she is simply a home cook with an interest in good food that is simple and nutritious. She has no culinary school train
Tina
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook was the inspired from Sara Forte’s website The Sprouted Kitchen. The photography in this book is exceptional as is the photography on her blog. Her husband Hugh Forte is a very good photographer in my humble opinion. When I ordered this book I expected soups, salads and deconstructed casserole type dishes such as beans, rice and a protein. That’s what one eats from a bowl, right?

I was surprised to see the number of meals that, in my opinion, would be better suited on a plate. Salm
Desiree
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The pictures look great, but the recipes didn't float my boat. Not saying that they wouldn't work for someone else.
Jacquie Young
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is simple, creative & great for the home cook. It may not be "fancy", but the recipes are straightforward, helpful and adaptable. I love the authors notes and suggestions and how she really stresses flexibility and how to make a recipe work for your own family. It's a great book. ...more
Julia
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
this book is more my speed than her first cookbook. although, she makes recipes much more complicated than me. for example, her everyday green dressing has a recipe list a mile long. for another example, i will have to try one of her recipes exactly and see if adding the multi ingredient parsley oil really elevates a butternut squash grain salad enough to be worth it. i thought it was a bit morbid that she included a "last meal" recipe.
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This is definitely not your average cookbook. Geared toward the discerning palate, I found it clear and beautiful. I loved that each recipe had the picture right next to it! I also liked the spacing and clear explanation of each step. This is a grown up cookbook and not for the novice cook but looks great and simple to follow as long as you know what the ingredients are. I received a copy of this book through the blogging for books program
Patricia
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Even though this cookbook is full of west coast oriented foods, with lots of tabouleh and quinoa that I don't ordinarily make, there is an approach to food that I appreciate, and I took away some recipes I mean to try very soon. The recipes make me realize how many healthy combinations of things there are to try together.
Melissa
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is one of those rare cookbooks where I want to make just about every recipe in it. There are a few with meat but it's about 95% vegetarian and everything looks amazing.
Polly Krize
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Beautifully photographed and the use of a lot of whole foods make this an intriguing cookbook.
Heidi
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. Everything I've made so far has been a winner. Keep up the good work, Forte family!
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
I understand why this is a popular book. It's beautiful to look at and the recipes are a good mix of familiar ingredients done in new and fanciful ways. It's just not for me.
Molly Moody
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook- easy, attractive, practical & yummy!! Oh yeah, did I mention healthy? ...more
Slightly Devious
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this with the exception of the fish/chicken recipes. I thought this was supposed to be a vegetarian cookbook?
CJ Beatty
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
First cook book in a while that I never tried a single recipe on. Other whole food books do it better with more original ideas. It's beautifully photographed and marketed, that's all
Samantha Murray
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really great recipes, some modified versions of the ones that are on the blog. As always, Sarah creates many delicious meal size salads and other "bowl and spoon" dishes that are healthy and tasty.
Doan
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! The book had beautiful pictures and the wonderful recipes. I have already made some for the week and am looking forward to enjoying them.
Hannah Grinestaff
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My weekly go-to for delicious salads, veggie sides, and yummy healthy dinners! I love her tips for adjusting meals to accommodate different tastes/diets.
Shmanders
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wish each recipe had fewer ingredients and overall less sugar.
Heather
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing cookbook! Highly recommended!

• Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Not Broken: An Approachable Guide to Miscarriage and Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
  • Chocolate-Covered Katie: Over 80 Delicious Recipes That Are Secretly Good for You
  • Substitute Teaching A to Z
  • 1001 Questions to Ask Before You Get Married
  • Brain Health From Birth: Nurturing Brain Development During Pregnancy and the First Year
  • Ishi's Brain: In Search of the Last "Wild" Indian
  • It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
  • Nobody Ever Told Me (or my Mother) That!: Everything from Bottles and Breathing to Healthy Speech Development
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Badd Mojo (Badd Brothers, #6)
  • Midnight Labyrinth (Elemental Legacy, #1)
  • Badd Luck (Badd Brothers, #5)
  • Good Girl Gone Badd (Badd Brothers, #4)
  • Badd to the Bone (Badd Brothers, #3)
  • Badd Ass (Badd Brothers, #2)
  • The Royal Companion (The Companion, #1)
  • Big Badd Wolf (Badd Brothers, #7)

News & Interviews