Start by marking “Rejection Proof: How I Beat Fear and Became Invincible Through 100 Days of Rejection” as Want to Read:

Rejection Proof is Jia Jiang's entertaining and inspiring account of conquering his fear of rejection, offering a completely new perspective on how to turn a no into a yes.

Jia Jiang came to the United States with the dream of being the next Bill Gates. Despite early success in the corporate world, his first attempt to pursue his entrepreneurial dream ended in rejection.
Published April 14th 2015 by Harmony (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rejection Proof, please sign up.
VJ The greatest barrier to success is fear of failure. Failure stems from fear, anxiety and if met with rejection (by another person or inability to…moreThe greatest barrier to success is fear of failure. Failure stems from fear, anxiety and if met with rejection (by another person or inability to achieve set goals) leads to depression / rejection etc. All these things play out in the mind. (less)

Start your review of Rejection Proof: How I Beat Fear and Became Invincible Through 100 Days of Rejection
Tai Tai
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
real rejection is not what the author has experienced. the people chosen as examples have (Rowling, et al)
why? these people, through their work and emotional investment, put it all on the line. they had become perhaps, physiologically, physically invested in their goal. how does this compare to a request for oddly shaped donuts? (yes there is a 'black' Olympic ring not a white ring, thank you)
Could this book be a vainly disguised tool at company PR? One can't help notice the corporate
heath padgett
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't consider myself a person who is particularly afraid of rejection. I never had a problem talking to women or cold calling people, but while reading this book I realized there are different levels of "fearlessness". While I don't mind cold calling, I am hesitant when it comes to pitching my story or speaking in front of people. In other words, we all can grow to become more fearless in different areas of our life.

Rejection Proof helped give me some practical ways to conquer some of that
Iris
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jia Jiang writes a very compelling narrative of why we should continually seek rejection in order to break free from the anxiety holding us back. A must-read for anyone that wants to go somewhere or do something with their lives.

It was difficult to put the book down for even a moment.
Kenton
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rejection Proof is not a long book, but it left me with the feeling that it would have been better as a more concise feature in a magazine or blog. I was attracted to the book by the title and premise: author Jia Jiang's journey through seeking rejection every day for 100 days. It sounded like a quest that could turn up some revelations, or, at the very least, some entertaining stories--and indeed, there are some helpful perspectives and amusing anecdotes--but ultimately, they are stretched thin ...more
Cindy Rollins
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobooks
This was a delightfully written short book on overcoming the fear of rejection, told as the author's own story rather than as a series of self-help tips. I found this an effective model for....modeling the idea.

I hope it will help me be brave when my book gets a bad review too. :)

Waxin
Chapter 1
• we exaggerate fear and the results

Chapter 2
• Fear disabled us.
• Description:
o doubting
o angry with self
o sorry for others
o getting scared
o insecurity
• Solution: be self-aware, reflect on what happened, and be intentional in planning the next move.
o Have fun
o projecting confidence and stay calm
o took breath
o force to establish eye contact, and dove in
• outcome:
o don't take it personally -- feel confident and relaxed. and have fun
• realization:
o piquing the other person's interest
Dan
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally don't read self-help books, but the premise was interesting. A guy goes out and tries to face 100 rejections! I thought it would read like a story or a journey/diary style too. It starts out like that but later on it becomes more of a self help book because conclusions are drawn with factual instances stated too that parallel the conclusions. I didn't rate it higher though it probably deserves more stars. I mostly read for entertainment value so that's what the 3 stars is, my own ...more
Ryan Schmidt
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Great book overall! I enjoyed reading about the author's brave attempts to experience and learn from rejection. I like how he makes those lessons clear throughout the book. I learned that there are so many possibilities out there...all we have to do is ask and we will never know what we will/won't get unless we do so! Even a no can lead to an unimaginable yes!

The book is highly focused on the author and doesn't relate his experience to a potential experience that a reader would have. That's one
Gabriella Mastrelli
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very light and easy to read and it serves as both a tool to self improvement and also a way to make people laugh. I really enjoyed reading Jiang’s story!
Rania
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Being a psychology major has changed me in small but important ways. I’ve finally learned and understood what it means to think outside the box. I no longer accept information without analyzing it, thinking critically about it, and exploring the research behind it. I’ve become the person who enjoys having conversations with people who hold different viewpoints and opinions. I am no longer content with accepting things the way they are, but have the urge to break things down into little pieces ...more
Greg
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish I'd read this book as a 15 year old (though it didn't exist then). Jai brings to light the pernicious problem most of us deal with: being rejected. In his humorous and insightful story, Jai shares how he decided to chase his dreams by conquering rejection. What I loved about this book is just the honesty and real desire Jai had in sharing his insights with others. I definitely want to purchase this, but for now I will have to settle for these points:

1) Rethink Rejection. Being rejected
David
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Getting rejected is probably among the worst social interactions in our lives.
It is precisely because we naturally tend to assume that not our ideas but we as a person are being rejected. This little book sheds light on what a rejection is and what it not is. It provides a very comforting angle on the matter and even proceeds with how to turn rejection into valuable information and thus be able to ask and try everything.

The more I got into the book the more I recognized patterns I have
Bjoern Rochel
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, eng-mgmt
Let's face it, people who dream about what could be and not what is, will always face rejection. And this not only on one, but on many levels. I've faced rejection so many times during my career that I'm either battle hardened or scarred, depends how you look at it.

I've learned a lot over the last 10 years, in how to cope with what I consider one of the hardest personal challenges in professional life. But I often feel that I'm just at the start of coming to grips on how to really and
Mary Langer
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book about how to handle rejection. Jiang socially engineers experiments to get rejected on purpose. The results are surprising and sometimes hilarious. People say yes, more than they say no. Jiang analyses what's going on and comes to the conclusion that "Rejection is just an opinion. It says more about the other person, but we take it as a truth about ourselves." I was anxious to read this book because I heard Jiang speak at a Storyline Writers conference in San Diego. He ...more
Boni Aditya
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rejection Analytics would have been a better name for this book.

The author has considered various aspects of rejection, first hand. He has considered what happens during rejection, and why people hate getting rejected from evolutionary stand point.

He talks about his first rejection from his uncle and starts his rejection journey and finds a lot of serendipity during this journey.

Apart from his personal experiences he goes on at each stage analyzing what is going on inside his mind, while he
Nancy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an entertaining short read. I liked how the author tried thinking creatively about ways to get rejected, turned down flat, laughed at, smirked at like he's a crazy person, and all the other things we generally don't enjoy experiencing in life. I know that some things are more terrifying for some people than for others. A friend of mine has problems approaching people individually but I'm fine with it. But speaking to a group of people really used to scare me till I just had to do it for ...more
Zack Frank
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A valuable book for sure. Would pair well with Carol Dweck’s “Mindset” as that is a book on transcending the idea of ‘failure’ and this book effectively transcends the negativity around the idea of rejection. With their powers combined, you get a tome on becoming super-human... or at least extremely and perhaps even effortlessly resilient in the face of what would normally deter those who are less well-read.

The book centers around the author’s rejection experiments where he aims for rejections
Annie Feng
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of autobiographical self-help books of people spouting suggestions based on their own experience. After a point you develop the ability to glance at the title of a book and predict most of the chaptered content with startling accuracy. Books like Thinking Fast and Slow, The 4-Hour Work Week, and anything with "positive thinking" in the title you can pretty much skim the back, google some keywords, and send it to your "Finished Reading" list. Lesson learned. Boom.

This book
Narcis Enache
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book, I wouldn't have thought I had a rejection problem. It put some things into perspective for me (people don't try enough times, rejection is just an opinion, ask for reasons etc.) while with others it didn't manage to convince me (the whole experiment seemed a bit artificial and Jia didn't struck me as someone fearful, but that's just an impression; also for a lot of people fear of rejection is just part of the problem, so fixing just this might not be enough). The truth ...more
Liz Catalano
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am not sure why I keep reading motivational/ self-help books because I honestly cringe my way through every single one of them for like, seven hours. I really enjoyed the TED talk this is based on, but the book was painful to actually read. The message was good but by the end, I wanted to stick a nail in my eyeball. Exhibit A of why motivational speakers should not try to write books.

In other news, it apparently takes me exactly one month to listen to a mere six-hour audiobook, way to go me.

Catherine
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book on TED Talks Daily and I was super intrigued. I really enjoyed this book and the author’s experiences as well as what he learned from his 100 days of rejection. I think this helps put a lot of perspective on rejection, which could be especially helpful in your professional life, and I would recommend this book to others.
Olga
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you read the summary, the ideas presented in this book sound very well-worn. However, I learned some things about rejection that I actually wasn't aware of, and I felt inspired by the author's journey. If I were to pick one word to describe it, it would probably be "wholesome".
Mike Madden
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
His rejection attempts were too small-scale. Would've liked to see more of a progression from small-scale to large-scale. But a worthy project nonetheless. Last attempt was good and caught me right in the feels
Phil Sykora
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this would have a little bit more information on entrepreneurship. Instead, the most interesting thing that happened over the course of Jiang's 100 Days was that he briefly became an internet meme.

It's still good, but not great.
Rochelle Reding
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I heard about this book on a podcast and picked it up. It is an easy, fun read with a rejection toolbox that I will return to. I also appreciated the discussion of how to give a rejection to another.
Pete Williams
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a good counter-intuitive book.
Linda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this roundabout method of overcoming self imposed limitations.
Anita
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Guy tries to desensitize himself to rejection. It was okay.
Swathi Sural
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and inspiring.
Andrea
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and the journey that the author took us through with his experiences in trying to be rejected. Through his stories you learn to look at rejection not as an internal reflection, but as the opinion of the rejector. The opinion of one person should not deter you from achieving your goals, but you should learn to ask why you were rejected so that you can learn from it. There may be a valid reason to reject your idea, so learning why can help you further form your idea.

• Beginner's Pluck: Build Your Life of Purpose and Impact Now
  • The Psychology of Self-Esteem
  • Shut Up and Listen!: Hard Business Truths that Will Help You Succeed
  • Cultivating an Unshakable Character
  • The Small Business Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed in Your Small Business
  • Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • The Art of Communicating
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Get Paid More and Promoted Faster: 21 Great Ways to Get Ahead in Your Career
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Workbook: Revised and   Updated
  • Herding Tigers: Master the Transition from Maker to Manager
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Bluefishing: The Art of Making Things Happen
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • The Nurture Effect: How the Science of Human Behavior Can Improve Our Lives and Our World
  • Be a Sales Superstar: 21 Great Ways to Sell More, Faster, Easier in Tough Markets
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
“But by not even asking, we are rejecting ourselves by default—and probably missing out on opportunity as a result. A 2011” 4 likes
“If something can´t hurt me, then why should it scare me?” 2 likes