Start by marking “Soft Target (Major Crimes Unit, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soft Target (Major Crimes Unit, #1)

Soft Target

(Major Crimes Unit #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  259 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An SG Thriller Release

From UK's Top Selling Horror & Thriller Author, Iain Rob Wright

NOWHERE IS SAFE...
When a quaint village in the United Kingdom is stuck by a suicide bomber, the once proud nation is brought to its knees with grief. Yet that first attack was just the beginning of something much greater and much worse. Something that nobody could ever have predicted
Published July 17th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Soft Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Target

Candace Tidwell
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book caught my attention after I saw a blurb on Facebook. I was intrigued so I snatched it up and started reading. I loved this storyline. I was glued from start to finish. The book is fast paced and full of action.
It's not very often I come across a female soldier as the lead and Wright did a phenomenal job writing about Sarah. Her life is not easy and she is constantly battling her personal demons but she is definitely kick ass. I cannot wait to jump into the next book.
Matthew Henry
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Boring, unbelievable and pointless

I kept trying to like the book and it kept finding ways to disappoint. The young teen girl can outshoot trained military folks. A women with numerous wounds and 1/3 of her blood gone seems always able to fight better than anyone else, except she sucks at shooting. No real plot. No character development. Just a bunch of words going no where.
Uwe
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Maybe it is the way of writing of this Author, maybe he just writes what get in his mind. I found it pretty ridicilous to call an Antiterror Unit “Major Crime” and a group of 5 poeple, not one really trained for the job, working out of an underground facility build for thousands .......
The stories about Afghanistan could be close to a kind of reality, but the behaviour of the main character is just ridicilous.
Doesn’t matter, for me a story full of violence and unorganized action ........
Kat
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrifying but insightful

Terrifying not only because this can become reality but is reality and happing now. Insightful in how and what our countries are doing to combat the terrorists. This is one book that is going to stay with me for a long time! I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Orkney Dean
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a ride!

Iain Rob Wright is a talent beyond compare. A fantastic range of characters in this thriller so brilliantly written in a story that just won't stop. Enough praise from me, I'm starting the sequel right away.
Donna
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thriller

Kind of a political thriller and more. A well written story about a girl, actually a woman, who has lost everything in her past and gets the rare opportunity to fight back. Great characters with real world horrors.
Shelly Trolian
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

I am a big fan of Iain Rob Wright, and this book does not disappoint! I can't wait to read the next one!
Mrs L T Carver
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book was a very good read,
Michael Hicks
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wright attributes his inspiration for Soft Target to 24, and even goes so far as to quote Jack Bauer's infamous "Damn it!" prior to the book's opening. It's a decidedly fun nod and sets the mood, but let me get this particular bias out of the way right up front: I am an unabashed 24 fan. It's one of my all-time favorite action series, and I was ecstatic to see the Jack Bauer Power Hour make a return to the recently-concluded UK-based miniseries, 24: Live Another Day. As it just so happens, Wrigh ...more
Sandi Rugless
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Really keeps you attention, and makes you think. Very well written, and a good read. I think you'll enjoy it.
Nev Murray
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Right everyone that knows me knows I am a huge Iain Rob wright fan. This one worried me cause his other books have been horrific horror novels. This is a thriller. I didn't know what to expect or how to "compare" it. I decided not to compare it to his other horror books but to other thrillers I have read.

In that vain it didn't disappoint. It's fast moving and filled with action from the start. It revolves around the heroine Sarah Stone, an ex army captain who has seen action in Afghanistan and c
Gian Spadone
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I have read all of Wrights apocalyptic fiction novels and enjoyed the self contained universe he was creating, so I was intrigued when he announced a new direction with Soft Target.

If you know 24 then you know this story, race against time for our hero to stop a major terrorist attack and aided by a merry band of followers all of whom have the typical skill set, medical doctor, pilot, solider, bureaucrat etc but Wright introduces a few intriguing concepts into his novel and its for these that ma
Charles Ray
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
When small towns in the UK become terrorist targets, the country is on the verge of being brought to its knees. The only thing standing between the government and total collapse is former soldier Sarah Stone. The problem is that, Stone has been so badly treated after her military service, she hates the government.
Soft Target by Iain Rob Wright is a taut, suspenseful thriller that follows Sarah’s adventures as the Major Crimes Unit enlists her service to stop further bloodshed. Crisp dialogue and
Ted Tayler
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
"In the bleak terrorist midwinter"

I've never read any of Mr. Wright's books; horror fiction doesn't interest me in the slightest. Not knowing his background explained my initial thoughts when I started reading this thriller. I can understand now why everything felt so bleak and world weary. There has to be light and shade in everything in life, and this is so dark you need to have a light on wherever you read it. The action is well handled though, whether in a Middle Eastern war zone or on home
Gary Price
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
God Save The Queen

Sweet, sweet revenge. It started in Afghanistan and lessons learned carried over to help the protagonist get over her self pity in time to not only help the monarchy but also get revenge for what happened years earlier in Afghanistan. This book sure leaves you with a warm fuzzy! Another great story from Mr. Wright.
Matthew Young
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book quite a bit; definitely a good first offering in the thriller genre from Wright. The main character is hard to like at times, but this is balanced well with her redeemable qualities and by the end of the book, I was wondering why I never saw that side of her earlier.

There were some sappy melodramatic parts at the end, but other than that, this was an awesome read.
Kimberly Trivette
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Different

This is more of a terrorist war story whereas I am used to apocalyptic writing from this author. The change here has proven he can bounce anything!!
With a heartwrenching storyline of the main character Sarah, and a team to actually try to save her from herself while stopping terrorism, this is an amazing storyline. Can't wait to read the next one!!
claire
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gripped from beginning to end

Great book detailing realistically the way terrorism can affect our country. Excellent characters with their own reasons for doing what they do. Can't wait to read the next book.
Marie Fisk
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good action story

A really good action story and I am a fan of this author, he is new to me, I would love to read more books in this series, however I am on a fixed income and can't afford to buy books. I will recommended it to my friends.
Tamara
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced

Riveting read! This story will keep you reading ... peeling back the pages like layers of a sweet onion. Sarah Stone promises to continue to hold your undivided attention in more books to come. Hooray Iain Rob Wright for this new series!
Nancy
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sarah has much to overcome to help the Major Crimes Unit. The more she is involved and the more she realizes about the people she works with the closer it brings her to looking outside herself. It is the first of two parts but well worth the read..
Joe
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Clichéd and tired. Sloppily written and badly formatted.
Shell Shearer Swinscoe
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
fantastic story, so not what I expected
William Bitner Jr.
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful thriller...great read once again from Iain Rob Wright.... loved it, and looking forward to turning the pages of the next book in this series "Hot Zone".
R L
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a cliffhanger!

Very good read. Different style from his other books. Just goes to show that this author is a force to be reckoned with. I'm off to get the second book!!!
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Decent

but not great, there was too many mistakes not caught in proof reading and then not really a finished story
Claire
Aug 26, 2018
  • The Prophet Motive
  • Racked (Nicholas Colt)
  • A New Dawn Rising
  • Fast (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Came a Shadow
  • Sacrifices
  • The Templar Concordat
  • The Flood
  • The Granite Key (Arkana Mysteries #1)
  • The Kabbalistic Murder Code (Historical Crime Thriller #1)
  • The Crown of Thorns: Book Two
  • Luthecker
  • Bicycle Shop Murder (Greg Tenorly Suspense Series, #1)
  • Apex Predator Thriller Series Collection
  • Ascension Day Part 1 of 2
  • Aleutian Grave
  • Burnt Offerings
  • The Old Man and The King
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec

Major Crimes Unit (3 books)
  • Hot Zone (Major Crimes Unit, #2)
  • End Play (Major Crimes Unit, #3)
“Stop convincing yourself that being a bitch is okay just because you’ve lost something. You’re not the only one who’s suffered at the hands of evil. You’re not fucking special.” 0 likes