Start by marking “Midnight: A True Story of Loyalty in World War I” as Want to Read:
Midnight: A True Story of Loyalty in World War I

Midnight: A True Story of Loyalty in World War I

At once sobering and inspiring, here is the true tale of a World War I cavalry soldier and his heroic horse, Midnight.

Guy Haydon raised and trained Midnight from the time she was a foal. The two had such a strong bond that when World War I broke out, Lieutenant Haydon slipped away from the frontlines of Gallipoli on an Egypt-bound ship to reunite with his horse. There, in
Published March 9th 2015 by Candlewick Press (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight

Suzannah
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
"Miss Suzannah, I thought you were going to cry."
Laura Harrison
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I was drawn to this picture book by the amazing cover art. It is truly one of the best horse illustrations I have observed/studied. And who doesn't love animal heroes of war? However, Midnight suffers a pretty brutal death which is depicted. I don't know a child who would not feel miserable (to say the least) at learning (and seeing) this warmly drawn horse killed. I shuttered myself (and may have let out some explatives) at the tragic ending. I didn't anticipate the harshness in a book geared f ...more
Erica
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about a soldier and his horse. WARNING TO PARENTS: this is not a bedtime story. We're left not knowing if Midnight lives after the last pages but I should have read it before reading it to my daughter. Fortunately she's young enough she didn't understand but her parents were clearly a little upset.
Barbara
Comparison to War Horse (the book and the film) will understandably abound, but this account of the heroics of Midnight, a thoroughbred born in Australia, and her owner, Guy Haydon, is heartbreaking in its own rights. The simple but engaging text and gouache illustrations show the strong bond between horse and rider throughout their lives. As the war rages, Guy volunteers, but he and Midnight are separated when he is sent to fight in Gallipoli. When they are reunited, they travel with the other ...more
American Mensa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

In this true story from World War I, we meet a horse named Midnight and his owner, Guy. This book is about their friendship. From the beginning of the book, I could tell that Midnight was special horse. He was born with a white star on his forehead. And just like a dog, Midnight the horse sticks with his owner. They start off rounding up cattle and eventually they get called into war. They become part of the cavalry and take care of each other. I was worried about Midnight. I thought he might ge
Kate
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A foal is born at midnight, on the homestead side of the river. Coal black. Star ablaze. Moonlight in her eyes.' On October 31, 1917, the 4th and 12th Regiments of the Australian Light Horse took part in one of the last great cavalry charges in history. Among the first to leap the enemy trenches was Lieutenant Guy Haydon riding his beloved mare, Midnight. This is their story.'

We all know the epic story of War Horse by Michael Morpurgo , but are you ready to read the true story of a real-life wa
Betty Byrd
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clear
Children who enjoy history will enjoy this book. If they do not like history they do not want to read this book, even with a horse as a character. There are many historical facts and as a read aloud will lead into many discussions. It gives some insight into World War 1 which is not as well known as World War II. Actual photos and notes in the back bring the book to life for young readers. The horse is killed in battle and his owner is wounded in the end so sensitive readers might be upset.
Haley
Mar 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a sad but powerful story of a horse and her rider in WWI. It follows the events of the war and all that the pair endured together. At the end it ties back into the very beginning scene which was cool.

I really like the rich vocab that was used. It would stimulate a lot of discussion in a classroom and would require me to do a little research to make sure i know what i'm talking about, but i like a good challenge.

I would use this to teach a social studies lesson on World War I and for a go
Get Ahead Kids
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by the folklore of the Haydon family from 'Bloomfield' in the Hunter Valley NSW, this book tells the historical journey of a young stockman who enlists with his beloved mare Midnight into the 12th Light Horse Regiment in 1915.

This is a emotional yet inspiring story, and the prose writing style brilliantly captures an important moment in Australian military history.
Gaby
A beautiful book to use as a reflection for ANZAC day. Perfect for my school as we have lots of students who love horses so this story may help them empathize. Good to use in conjunction with War Horse.
Bethany
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
A touching story set in World War I but the text lack emotion needed for this to be a memorable book.
Heather
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
DAMMIT. I'M CRYING.
Zack McCurry
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a story set in WWI about a man and his loyal companion. This book could be used as a mentor text for a history class about how animals were used to help the soldiers.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
An Australian cavalry soldier and his heroic horse in the Middle East theatre.
 Creative Kids Tales
A gorgeous story and valuable addition to any home. Check out my review on www.creativekidstales.com.au
Melissa
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only reason that I am giving this book a 4 instead of a 5 is that I wanted more at the end of the story. This book is about a man and his horse and their connection. It is a true story that took place during World War I. As always, I absolutely love that this book gives credit to the sources used for the historical portions of the book. As a teacher, I feel it is of the utmost importance for us to show students where we get information and to model good habits. I also loved that at the end o ...more
Siobhan Roulston