Start by marking “Things I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves” as Want to Read:
Things I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves

Things I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves

Fifteen top young-adult authors let us in on provocative secrets in a fascinating collection that will have readers talking.

A baby no one knows about. A dangerous hidden identity. Off-limits hookups. A parent whose problems your friends won’t understand. Everyone keeps secrets—from themselves, from their families, from their friends—and secrets have a habit of shaping the
Published March 24th 2015 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Things I'll Never Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I'll Never Say

Start your review of Things I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves
Luna
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finished Things I'll Never Say today. Or was it yesterday? Or maybe the day before?
I'm not sure when I finished it but I finished it. It took longer than necessary but I have been busy.

Now I will be honest. When I bought this book it was a random cover buy. I was just grabbing things off the shelves and I just happened to grab this one. I did not realize at the moment that it was a bunch of short stories. I loved it none the less. I love the cover so much because of the symbols put into it. I
Liviania
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ann Angel's first outing editing an anthology is an impressive venture. She's gathered a wonderful mix of authors, from established award winners like Chris Lynch and Ellen Wittlinger to talented up to a debut author. The authors aren't just diverse in their name recognition either. THINGS I'LL NEVER SAY: STORIES ABOUT OUR SECRET SELVES dwells in those experiences that are hard to talk about, that people like to never think about.

It's fitting that it is a very diverse anthology, not only the aut
Sarah Blincoe
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: march-2018
This book comprises short stories about the secrets people had. It was quite alarming, yet I wish it was longer and more elaborate. It had people keeping secrets about relationships, kids, sexually transmitted diseases, crime and it was teen-focused.
Barbara
Like many teen readers, I have long adored short stories. Writing them takes talent and planning, and it always seems to me that if you don't like one story in a collection, it's easy to move on to another one without too much emotional investment. For someone looking for a way to read quickly, short story collections can be a great choice, especially when they are themed as this one is. After all, who doesn't have a secret or two? Here, fifteen authors, several well known for their YA writing, ...more
allie a
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
liked a couple of the stories didn't like some of the others. that's what's so magical about short stories books.
Kay Carman
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's not that this isn't a good book. It just wasn't a good book for me. I wish I could have the time back that I spent reading it.

Renowned authors of young adult literature have written short stories around the concept of secret keeping. I'll be the first to tell you I've led a sheltered life, at least in some areas, and even approaching old age, I mostly prefer it that way. The young adults in these stories deal with life circumstances that are troubling, sometimes shocking, and beyond my abil
Shelley
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of stories explores many different secrets that people keep. I think the concept behind the book is a great idea because it is designed to be a collection of secrets told through stories. What I can say is that there are some content issues, language, and sex. What you have to remember is that these are things that people would not openly share. Therefor you can expect content issues as far as I am concerned.

It is one you just have to read to appreciate. These stories give you an
Brandi
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
As with any anthology there were stories I liked and stories I didn’t care for. Unfortunately, there weren’t any real stand-outs here, and far too many left me feeling meh.

The we-are-like-everybody-else-game by Ellen Wittlinger 3 stars

For a Moment, Underground by Kekla Magoon 4 stars

Storm Clouds Fleeing From the Wind by Zoe
Carole
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the 15 short stories featured in the new YA collection Things I’ll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves edited by Ann Angel, the characters all struggle with a secret. Some of the secrets are a means of self-preservation while others are turning-points in dark fairy tales. Others, still, will forever change close relationships. Most of these stories had a tight hold on me. Three, in particular, will stay with me for a long time.

Read full review here: https://grandbarda.wordpress.com/201
Joslin
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the stories in here are really great--and some are...okay. Overall, I think this would be a good choice to pull a few stories from to spark conversation or inspire an assignment, but I don't feel the book overall is completely fluid.
Zee
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I struggled to settle on a rating for this book - some of the stories are very good, even great, but some are quite weak and really don't seem to hit the mark for the connecting theme.
Mel
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Ann Angel has assembled a collection of short stories about "secret selves" from a variety of YA authors, from established ones like Chris Lynch and Ellen Witlinger, to debut authors. Some of the secrets are obvious ones teens would face, like their sexual activities or their outsider quirks. A few of the stories have secrets that manifest in extraordinary ways, from guardian angels to secret spies.

Weakest: "We Were Together" deals with secrets and consequences in a truncated way that's pretty u
Rachel
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, 2015, ya
This collection of short stories is satisfyingly uncomfortable, mimicking that odd sensation of secrecy in an uncompromising manner. As in all anthologies, some of these stories clearly outshine others. Most memorable are: Zoë Marriott's tender historical fantasy "Storm Clouds Fleeing from the Wind," which challenges preconceived notions of love, gender and identity; Chris Lynch's "Lucky Buoy," whose authentically real protagonist reveals a secret that caught me completely unawares; Erica L. Kau ...more
Ally Doerman
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: royal, young-adult
Things I'll Never Say is a collection of fiction stories that showcase various secrets, both good and bad, that the characters are keeping for themselves or for someone else in their lives. Some characters choose to keep the secrets and some choose to tell. Some secrets are small and menial, while some are very big and possible life ruiners. Each story shows either the importance of keeping a secret, or how keeping secrets can end up being a bad thing.

Like with any collection of short stories,
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Initial thoughts: This anthology of short stories was very diverse in terms of culture, race, sexuality, and socio-economic status. That's something that particularly stood out to me, making Things I'll Never Say a valuable contribution to YA short stories. Alas, there were a couple of stories that left no impression on me and so, dragged down the overall rating. Without those, three stories I didn't care for, the average ratings would've amounted to 4 stars for the book.
April
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Good: Most of the stories in this compilation touching on the good and bad of keeping secrets are clever, touching, or nicely dark and thoughtful. The writing is great in some, good in others. The stories are a decent mix of genres and there's some really nice diversity of race, gender identity and sexualities across the collection.

The Less Good: There were two stories which didn't strike a chord for me so clearly it's a mixed lot which means some stories may not work for each reader. Still;
Merrilyn Tucker
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed each short story in this book! Secrets are hidden in the hearts of all living beings--straight/gay/male/female/paranormal creature. Why do we often not tell others what we hold closest to our hearts? Are we afraid of vulnerability? Of loss? Of rejection? Editor Ann Angel lets the reader indulge in other's secrets and even includes one of her own. Best suited for middle to high school readers.
Ria
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay so I liked almost all the stories. They were really entertaining, and I liked the fast pace. I just liked some of them too much, so it was hard to accept that the story was over and I was left with questions I still wanted answered.
Ally
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a great concept but a lot of the stories just had nothing to do with secrets. Some of the authors writing style was kinda choppy but others especially towards the end we're really good writers.
Lynda
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable collection of short stories
Chrissy
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review, short-stories
Loved the first story "the we -are-like-everybody-else game" by Ellen Wittlinger. Also enjoyed "when we were wild" by Louise Hawes. But none of the other stories really pulled me in at all.
Mo
Meribeth
rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2015
Written Melodies
After reading four of the short stories and starting two others, I couldn't read another word. The stories are a chore to get through. The cover is gorgeous and for me the best thing about the book.
Gillian
Aug 16, 2015
Claire
Jan 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Blackbird Fly
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • The Things a Brother Knows
  • Extraordinary Means
  • Watch the Sky
  • The End: 50 Apocalyptic Visions From Pop Culture That You Should Know About...Before It's Too Late
  • How College Works
  • A Madness So Discreet
  • Cici's Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-In-Training
When I'm not writing or teaching at a women's college in Milwaukee, I hang with my family which includes my four grown kids, my husband Jeff and a cat named Sparkie. Jeff, who was an only child, loved to be around my siblings when we were dating. Ann Angel was one of nine kids — he once said, "This isn't a family; it's an experience."