Start by marking “Home” as Want to Read:
Home

Home

Home might be a house in the country, an apartment in the city, or even a shoe. Home may be on the road or the sea, in the realm of myth, or in the artist's own studio. A meditation on the concept of home. ...more
Published February 24th 2015 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

Start your review of Home
Hilary
4.5 stars. This is a beautiful book full of different types of homes. We loved the cover which shows homes such as a yurt, a barn, a caravan, a geodesic dome, a shoe with a roof, a snail shell....if my children were younger we would have loved to sit and look at this and decide which one we liked best and who we thought would live in each one.

The text is sparse and perhaps this would have been better if it rhymed or was more creative, but the book has so much to look at it didn't seem to matter.
Michele
Mar 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I had mixed feelings on this book, while the illustrations were beautifully done and are quite whimsical, I felt that the actual story did not have a good flow. I also did not care for the way some individuals / homes were depicted, and to me seemed to stereotype. For instance, there is a young dark skinned girl sitting in an apartment building that is covered in graffiti, the illustration for "Some homes are wigwams" have Indigenous people with bows and arrows, followed by a palace and an under ...more
Benji Martin
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I hope this whole Carson Ellis, writing and illustrating picture books thing keeps on happening.
Ingrid
Nov 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Whimsical illustrations paired with highly problematic stereotypes. Knowing nothing about this book, I borrowed it as a potential storytime read. After reading through on my own, I cannot in good conscience use it. Highly disappointed and perplexed at why this book has received decent reviews. Artistic accomplishment does not excuse for stereotypical cultural depictions.
Jill
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I was little, I was fascinated with the different types of houses people had all around the world. I would have treasured this beautiful book with its imaginative survey of houses around the planet and even beyond it! And it doesn’t just cover the habitats of people: for example, one page shows the home of a raccoon, and one shows the home of a Norse god.

Author/illustrator Carson Ellis adds many little informative features to let you know about life in each type of home. The picture of a Ru
Mathew
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the cyclical ending (or beginning) of this book and how Ellis' journey through different homes, imaginary as well as wholly real all blossomed from the artist's studio (final picture). As a debut, I found Ellis' concept of what home means to different people a powerful and thought-provoking discussion. She uses her colours sparingly, browns, greys, greens and reds to great effect as we follow a little bird - a migrator free to travel anywhere - around the world (both real and imaginary ...more
Laura Harrison
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and beautiful. A definite Caldecott 2016 contender.
Abigail
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Carson Ellis Fans
Shelves: picture-books
Carson Ellis, an illustrator known for her work on her musician/author husband Colin Meloy's album covers and novels, makes her solo debut with this picture-book, which profiles a variety of homes, realistic and imaginary. From houses in the country to apartments in the city, from living underwater to living on the road, a diverse range of homes is profiled here: identified in simple statements, and depicted in lovely folk-art illustrations.

From an aesthetic perspective, I enjoyed Home immensely
Orsolya
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, childrens, other
The same way that people come in all shapes and sizes; as do the homes that they live in. Carson Ellis attempts to expand acceptance and preclude any judgments towards the classification of homes in, “Home”.

“Home” is an oversized juvenile picture book with very little text targeting very young children mostly in the 4-6 age bracket. The focus of “Home” is more on the illustrations than actual prose but the message is clear: people and animals live in diverse dwellings but one is not better than
Samantha
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, home
While I love the look and color palette of the gouache and ink artwork, the story just didn't satisfy me.

This book looks at different types of homes and while I did appreciate that the reader is invited to guess/wonder at who might reside in a few of the homes, I felt limited by some of the other homes. It was disappointing to see an apartment being depicted as in the city amongst pollution and graffiti, which read (to me) as less desirable than many of the other homes.

I was hoping for an autho
Lizzie
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I'll always have thing for the muted palate/folksy style of The Decemberists' art for that warm feeling the band gave in me in the early 2000s. In this book I like the quirkiness and the well balanced panels (great use of the gutter!), but I don't like stereotypical depictions of some of the dwellers (wigwams - for real?) ...more
Linda Lipko
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful first book for Carson Ellis

There are lovely illustrations to show that home is where the heart is. Using various colors and shapes, the author includes books around the world.

A solid 4 rating.
Zak Aylett
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cool view on how many different types of homes people may live in!
Literary Strawberry
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All the illustrations are so cozy and interesting, I want to live in almost all these homes
Sophia Z
Read it many times TO my 14-months old son. Can’t wait to read it WITH him one day.
Beth
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful. A must-read for anyone who loves children's literature. An instant classic. ...more
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could read this book 72 times in a row and not get tired of it.
Critterbee❇
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the artwork of this book! The illustrations are mainly whimsical depictions of various types of homes, of both people and animals, around the world.

Some of those featured - a Norse god, a raccoon, a Moonian - are fanciful and funny. Others are uncomfortable stereotypes, and should be discussed at length with your child while reading together.

The illustration style was wonderful, the only issue I have is that some of the scenes were not fully explained by the text, and might encourage c
Dilara Inam
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I think this book is pretty creative and also I really like all the illustrations.

Here comes the but part... There are lots of reductionist, orientalist and even racist ideas about people and their houses. There are lots of stereotypes embedded in relation with class, race and gender.

If it does not have culturally inappropriate examples, I would give 5 stars for sure.
Erin
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
"Where is your home? Where are you?" Ellis reflects on all the possibilities of home through her lovely illustrations and fantastical imaginings of all that a home could be. Many of the homes are familiar to us from stories and nursery rhymes. ...more
Laura's Book Addiction
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I originally brought this book because of a recommendation by OwlCrate, I'm so glad I did as Home was absolute perfection. The writing and the illustrations blew me away and the story kept my daughter entertained while we were reading!!! ...more
Samantha Shoen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. My kids love this book. The illustrations are beautiful and it sure makes a person love Home.
KC
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Home, homes, and home!
Emma Sedlak
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kidlets
The text is quite simple, but the illustrations are so remarkable that this book is a stunning meditation on a wide range of homes, including what the home of a Norse God might look like!
Lily
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
(to be reviewed)
Jessica
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! It’s gorgeous illustrations are enough to keep you staring at a page, wondering along with the writer: “who lives here?” Love it!
Chinook
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The girls and I all loved this one. We talked a lot about the pictures and how the homes were like and unlike our home.
Bethlyn Allmey
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet book about a variety of different homes in the world, both real and imaginary. An important message about how everyone has a different place they call ‘home’. It is also a good book to use for inclusion, seeing that everyone’s homes are different.
Megan
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest book. I love the whimsical art and the way the story just flows...I so enjoyed reading through it with little ones and looking at all the pictures closely. The end is perfection!
The Littlest Library
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An instant classic. This book explores the diversity of houses and the people that call them home. Illustrated with a gentle humour, the homes depicted span the globe as well as the make-believe.

Home might be a house in the country, a flat in the city, or even a shoe. It is this exploration of the variety of homes that starts a natural dialogue within the reader to assess their own home and what home means.

The illustrations are gentle, whimsical and detailed. There is minimal text and it has a

• The Blue House
  • Tiddler
  • You Belong Here
  • The Little Gardener
  • The Little Reindeer
  • On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book
  • The Bear and the Piano
  • Outside In
  • Same, Same But Different
  • A Child of Books
Carson Ellis previously illustrated The Composer Is Dead by Lemony Snicket and Dillweed’s Revenge by Florence Parry Heide. She also collaborated with her husband, Colin Meloy, on the best-selling Wildwood series. Carson Ellis lives with her family outside Portland, Oregon.

News & Interviews

“Sewa elf Jakarta tetap siap jadi partner transportasi yang baik untuk kepentingan wisata serta acara keluarga anda. Kami memberi semua service alat transportasi keperluan anda dengan memerhatikan tiap-tiap armada transportasi yang telah mempunyai sertifikasi wajar jalan.” 0 likes