Start by marking “[(The Good Psychopath's Guide to Success)] [ By (author) Andy McNab, By (author) Kevin Dutton ] [September, 2014]” as Want to Read:

An enlightening and entertaining look at how to use your inner psychopath to get the most out of LIFE.
     What is a good psychopath? And how can thinking like one help you to be the best that you can be?
     Professor Kevin Dutton has spent a lifetime studying psychopaths. He first met former SAS hero Andy McNab during a research project. What he found surprised him. McN
Published September 23rd 2014 by BANTAM PRESS (first published January 1st 2014)

Mina-Maniac You went ahead & did the one thing you should never do when it comes to books "Judging them by their covers". I've read "The wisdom of…moreYou went ahead & did the one thing you should never do when it comes to books "Judging them by their covers". I've read "The wisdom of psychopaths" by the same author, I found it very helpful here's a quote to give you a better idea of how one can use psychopath skills (not be one): "The secret to success is not being a psychopath it's rather being a Method Psychopath. About being able to step into character when the situation demands it. But then, when the exigency had passed, to revert to one's normal persona"(less)

Robert J. Engleman
Great topic...but in need of ruthless editor.

A psychopathic, ruthless editor. A steely-eyed surgeon of style. A knife wielding wizard of words, a cunning crusader of...

Ok, you probably get it. The topic itself is fascinating. But, god please spare us the *alliteration*. There does seem to be an improvement in editing from Wisdom of Psychopaths...here we are spared the tortured metaphors of the previous book.

Obviously since I read his last book, and bought this, I find the topic of what I suppose
Alannah Marie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crap
This book is nothing but pop-psychology. A 'good psychopath' is an oxymoron.
Anyone who has ever had to deal with a psychopath in a workplace, will know that they are not team players and although they are attracted to leadership positions, they make terrible leaders.
They steal, they lie, they cheat, they are parasitic, they bully others, they take foolish risks, they don't develop longterm goals, they don't form good long-term relationships. It takes more than charm or ambition to be successful.
Eric
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Andy this and Andy that. The author is trying to use this book as a medium to kiss up a self-pompous guy named Andy. I went through one third of the book and have to give up.
Emily G
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am starting a new job at work where I'm going to be managing a large team of operatives, and my default setting is 'nice'. This book, therefore, has given me insight on how to use my innate inner psychopath strengths, and dial back my emotional, overly empathetic side, to get what I want out of my team and not what they want out of me!

So why not five stars? Because I didn't agree with all the scenarios detailed in the book, as they could easily have ended more violently, imho, if the person di
Kieran Harris
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book that is both interesting and really helpful. Kevin and Andy break things down into simple terms and make it suitable to the every day person by using every day situations as examples to improve yourself. If you're set in your ways then it probably won't be much help but it definitely gets you thinking about alternative perspectives and who knows, might change you for the better.
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this .. it's the first book I read that I pick in the bookstore without any previous planning.

First you must understand that Psychopaths are not all bad.. there are good ones, in this book you're going to learn about them and from them, to understand if you are one of them or if you want to be one of them what to do (you'll not be a psychopath if you are not, but you're going to learn their characteristic and maybe you could apply it in your life).

The book discuss The Seven Deadly Wins
Luke Waldron
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

i started this book before i started college and it was a great help to me, now I've never been a great believer in self help books but have to be honest when i saw this book i thought "thats a weird but interesting name for a book? hummm maybe i should give it a look see" and its bad its actually pretty amazing you see everyone has an inner psychopath inside of them from birth its a human instinct
YHC
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned from this book that Good Psychopath is the one who practices perfectly the mindfulness to a certain level. Living at the precise moment: present, even to enjoy the fragment of second. Enjoy means feel it fully. This training could actually help us in many different kind of problems, enhance different parts of stability.
Emotion does exists in Psychopath, but they are able to switch on and off easily. This is what normal people can not do. But again, the good psychopath we talk about her
Lillee
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5*
Overall, it was a good book. I did have to fight the urge to skip towards the end but managed to resist. Kevin Dutton has a habit of almost bragging about where he goes and who he knows, but that was more toned down in this book than in his The Wisdom of Psychopaths. I found the humour between Kevin and Andy did help to carry the book along and it was interesting to have Andy's input on several situations. Being a suspect-psychopath myself (GOOD possible psychopath, mind you ;)) I found it u
Heather
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
So, I'd like to point out the obvious: I'm not a psychopath (seriously, I took their test). It's just an interesting read in the sense of: how many guides to success encourage you to be a little bit of a psychopath?

It does have RANDOM use of CAPITAL LETTERS on what they clearly feel are BUZZ WORDS, which is SUPER ANNOYING. But there's plenty of anecdotes and quizzes to accompany their advice. The chats between McNab and Dutton were a bit pointless sometimes, but generally it was fine.

Did I read
Katherine Wu
這一本用盡可能歡樂的方式,介紹關於精神病態者的知識,以及可以從這些人身上學習的實用人生技巧——但值得注意的是,其實那些實用人生技巧,其他沒那麼聳動的心理學勵志書也會提到,因為基本上在社會中的成功生存法則差不多就是那些(好比說能在別人情緒化的時候冷靜你就贏了)。但是精神病態者在行使暴力時居然都能進入大家覺得很棒的「心流狀態」,應該會讓第一次得知的人覺得很諷刺吧。書不賴,但書裡最重要的一個名詞「psychopath」的翻譯有待商榷,在這本書裡竟然翻成「精神病患」!一般的中文用法裡,「精神病患」這個詞彙是包山包海的,有精神疾病的都算精神病患,不是專指psychopath,隨手翻開這本書的人可能會完全誤會這本書的內容;用中文查關鍵字的時候,也會跟一般意義上的精神病患混在一起。而且psychopathy到底算不算「疾病」大概也還有疑義,它似乎更接近人格違常(personality disorder),「精神病患」這個譯名總之不妥。比較常見而且精確的翻譯是「精神病態者」,這個譯名雖然乍看很不順,或者讓粗心的人以為沒有差別(只差一個字),但至少差這一個字在搜尋或編索引的時候就不會混淆或弄錯了。(我其 ...more
Chris Pavilly
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, especially the good-humoured banter between Andy McNab and Kevin Dutton. The block capitalization was perhaps unnecessary (and I see many others felt it intrusive too). I saw it less as a self-help book than a way to break down some of the negative associations that attach to those neuro-atypical people who take a non-criminal path through life. Nevertheless it was informative and very amusing at the same time.
Artem.linco
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Positive thinking concepts explained with plain British humor.
Julie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from start to finish and highly recommend it for anyone interested in how our brains work. The co-authors are Dr Kevin Dutton, a specialist in psychopaths’ brains, and Andy McNab, one of the most highly decorated Army and SAS soldiers of all time in the U.K. The reason this seemingly mismatched duo are working together is that Andy is a psychopath.
The whole premise of the book is that if we can harness some of the positive psychopathic responses, we will be more effective at a
Greg
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first books I picked up on psychopathy and I'm very glad I did. I bought it from a WHSmiths in Manchester and you should of seen the look on the woman's face when I put it on the counter! I'm sure she was about to push the panic alarm! This book has great humour but also mixes facts and science in a very easy to understand simplistic way. Kevin seems to be an expert at relating with people, his words exude confidence and enthusiasm and you genuinely feel warmer in his presenc ...more
Skye
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me ages to read. I read the first half relatively quickly and felt the writing style would make this a quick burn. I was wrong, obviously. Unfortunately, it was the writing style that failed to keep my attention. It stopped being fun to read and felt more like a chore. It feels like it's written for people who don't read very much and, while I totally understand that this is a way to expand your book's audience, it feels almost tedious at times?
I still liked the content of the bo
Michael Salmon
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written, well researched and, informative.

I wasn't a fan of the chapter by chapter check list for whether you're a psycho or not, given the phrasing of the questions and how people view themselves (with one form or another of incredibly inaccurate bias) there is slim chance that anyone will get any real insight into their own mental state.

Outside of that though it brought up interesting points.

I find the story about the taxi drivers hard to believe though
Heather Burgess
THIS IS ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO MANIPULATE PEOPLE INSTEAD OF USING ANY PARTICUKAR PERSONAL AND GENUINE GIFTS THAT ARE NATURAL TO OURSELVES AS UNIQUE INDVIDUALS AND INSTEAD OF WORRYING ABOUT HOW WE CAN BENEFIT OR FOCUS ON OUR OWN PERSONAL SELFISH AND USUALLY MISGUIDED SENSE OF WHAT IS WE THINK WE WANT OR NEED TO HARBESS THEM GROW THOSE GIFTS AND UTILIZE THEM TO HELP EACH OTHER GROW AND HARMONIZE

PS
JESUS LOVES YOU.
but your mom might not practice unconditional love.
Good psychopath , bad psychopaths ri
Hadeel Othman
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not finish. This reads more like a cheesy sales pitch than anything resembling academic discussions. While the conclusions they come to can be considered technically true, the means in which they are explained and justified are so crudely oversimplified it's hard to believe. They actually spend more time mentioning the meals they had than referencing any legitimate actual psychological experiments. At best this book is at a junior high level, but definitely not if you're looking for an act ...more
Martipan
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books was a great journey! Andy McNab's humor wad priceless! In a few non-fiction books i laugh so hard. This book is the pair of a weak-personality. It teaches you how to become strong as a person, how to say "NO" when you don t want to do what you are told, how to become a tricky person and how to develop the good psychopath in you. Congrats Kevin Dutton and Andy McNab! Nest it is Flipnosis!
Lindsay Cornette
Dit boek beschrijft hoe je de sterke karaktereigenschappen van een goede psychopaat je eigen kunt maken. Het boek is vlot geschreven, al hoefde het niet telkens te vermelden waar ze waren, wat ze aan het eten waren,... Het is ook leuk dat de hoofdstukken afsluiten met een kleine zelftest.
April
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not a book I could read all at once, the lad humour and McNabb anecdotes made for a very masculine orientation to the book.
Claude
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth a read.
Citizensnips
Very interesting
S.L. Saboviec
Not a bad book, but more cheerleading than anything. It can be summed up in one sentence: stop being so emotional and just effing do it.
Bernie Gourley
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The central premise of this book is that psychopaths have a range of traits that help them succeed. These traits include thick skin, focus, fearlessness, charisma, and coolness under high pressure. The “good” in “good psychopath” is used to describe individuals who have psychopathic characteristics while retaining the ability to play by societal rules—at least to the extent necessary to stay in good stead with the law—as well as to recognize the ramifications of their personalities. If you thoug ...more
Rachel (Confessions of a Book Geek)
THIS BOOK.

I'm a female in a heavily male dominated industry, and I'm quite young to be in a management position within that industry (I became a Manager at 22, I'm now 25.) Over time, and with experience and guidance from mentors, I’ve developed professionally quite a bit already, but there is ALWAYS more you can learn discover and implement. Always.

The Good Psychopath’s Guide To Success has been an interesting experience. The book has a conversational and informal tone that makes it quite ent
Dee
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to the audible version of this book. I am now considering purchasing the paperback version of this book. I was motivated to read this book as a form of professional development to aid in my understanding of psychopaths, with especial focus upon the functional qualities of psychopaths and how these features can be adapted for those who are "non-psychopaths". The audible version was narrated by both Andy McNab and Dr Kevin Dutton. I welcome the collaboration between Andy McNab and Dr Du ...more
Kirsty
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very interesting read. I am not a psychopath, in fact the complete opposite, so in reading this book I hope to adopt a more psychopathic outlook.

That's something I never thought I'd say.

It does have it's shortcomings, it can come across a little 'idiots guide' on occasion and invokes a bit of a 'lads' culture of banter which is at times quite amusing and at others not so much.

I would recommend this if you're a fan of Andy McNab or are interested in psychopathy and/or psychology, altho
Prashant Ghai
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of the book intrigued me so much that I had to read it no matter what. I wasn't disappointed at all. It breaks down the whole psychology of psychopaths in definite thinking patterns and steps which help them achieve success in their (bad) endeavours, and how we can simply tweak them a little to achieve success in our (good) endeavours. It was a fascinating read. This is the kind of book which leaves you with couple of ideas worth more than gold and diamonds. I want to read more books b ...more
Utter hogwash 1 5 Mar 19, 2015 11:45PM
  • The Miracle of Self-Discipline
  • Forex Price Action Scalping: an in-depth look into the field of professional scalping
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader: Lessons from 21 Weeks of Real Trading
  • The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust
  • Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty
  • Talk Less, Say More: 3 Habits to Influence Others and Make Things Happen
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • Busy: How to Thrive in a World of Too Much
  • Live with Passion!: Stategies for Creating a Compelling Future
  • Mind – A Journey to the Heart of Being Human
  • Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart
  • The Bookshop That Floated Away
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
“Harvard University biologist David Haig has spent the last few years systematically debunking the notion that the relationship between a mother and her unborn child is anything like the rose-tinted idyll that one usually finds on the glossy covers of maternity magazines. In fact, it is anything but. Pre-eclampsia, a condition of dangerously high blood pressure in pregnant women, is brutally kick-started by nothing short of a foetal coup d’état. It begins with the placenta invading the maternal bloodstream and initiating what, in anyone’s book, is a ruthless biological heist – an in utero sting operation to draw out vital nutrients. And I’m not just talking about baby Gordon Gekkos here – I’m talking about all of us. The curtain-raiser is well known to obstetricians. The foetus begins by injecting a crucial protein into the mother’s circulation which forces her to drive more blood, and therefore more nourishment, into the relatively low-pressure placenta. It’s a scam, pure and simple, which poses a significant and immediate risk to the mother’s life. ‘The bastard!’ says Andy. ‘Shall we get some olives?’ ‘And it’s by no means the only one,’ I continue. In another embryonic Ponzi scheme, foetal release of placental lactogen counteracts the effect of maternal insulin thereby increasing the mother’s blood sugar level and providing an excess for the foetus’s own benefit. ‘A bowl of the citrus and chilli and a bowl of the sweet pepper and basil,’ Andy says to the waiter. Then he peers at me over the menu. ‘So basically what you’re saying then is this: forget the Gaddafis and the Husseins. When it comes to chemical warfare it’s the unborn child that’s top dog!’ ‘Well they definitely nick stuff that isn’t theirs,’ I say. ‘And they don’t give a damn about the consequences.’ Andy smiles. ‘So in other words they’re psychopaths!’ he says. BABY” 0 likes