Start by marking “The Only City Left (The Only City Left, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Only City Left (The Only City Left, #1)

The Only City Left

(The Only City Left #1)

Eighteen-year-old Allin Arcady only wants one thing: to reach the Roof of the World and see the Sun for the first time in his life. The problem is, he's lost in the depths of the ruined planet-city called Earth, fleeing the horrors of his past.

When his past catches up to him, Allin is thrust into a science fantasy adventure in which he meets a race of genetically-modified
Published July 19th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Only City Left, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only City Left

Start your review of The Only City Left (The Only City Left, #1)
Matt Ely
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Original review at JC Book Haven

Dad of course, hadn't liked the fact I was afraid of ghosts. First chance he got, when I was maybe eight or nine years old, he found one and forced me to approach it. "Say 'Hello' to it, Allin," he had said.

The Good
There are so many good things about this book for me. To be honest, when I got a few chapters in, it was like I was bitten by a zombie. There was no cure to stop it, the turn, I was now a fan. All I wanted at that point was to reach the roof of the
Galit  Balli
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Plot/Story:

The Only City Left is an excellent book with a well-developed plot. The plot is told from a first POV and is action packed. There is no moment for rest, not for the hero and nor to the reader. With each page you’ll turn you’ll think “this can’t get any weirder” but then it will, lol. The moment I finished reading this book I felt emotionally drained, but in a very good way.
I feared for the characters, I laughed with
Ryan Toxopeus
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Generally speaking, I don't like first person point-of-view (POV). I find it constricting in an uncomfortable sort of way because a lot of authors do it poorly. It's a delicate balance of keeping things interesting around the main character, while also giving the reader the impression that there are still important things going on in the larger world.

That said, Andy Goldman pulled it off beautifully. The only point I had difficulty with was Allin's ceaseless and unflappable desire to see the
Amy
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Allin Arcady has only one thing to live for, to get to the top of the roof of the city to see the sun for the first time in his life. After his parents tragic death, Allin has been roaming the depths of the ruined planet-city Earth, just trying to stay alive long enough to make it to the roof. Along his travels, Allin encounters many creatures of the night, genetically modified cats, vengeful warewolves and cyborgs. After learning about hidden family history, he has to decide if he will help ...more
Amy
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
While reading this book, my most common thought was, "This would make a fabulous video game." Throw together a post-apocalyptic world set in a never-ending city, and you've got an adventure that feels like a mish-mash of Fallout, Kingdom Hearts, and Borderlands.

The action is non-stop in this book, and it's a lot of fun. At first, I was excited that my 11-yr old would be able to read this one. Based on the pacing and the voice, this would make a great middle-grades story. What tween wouldn't love
April
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A well written and intriguing story about people living in the only city left, underground without true light. The earth is no longer livable above ground but what lives beneath the earth is amazing and terrifying at the same time. The city is a maze within it self winding turning going up and down but where is the roof or the door out onto the true earth. Allin has been traveling or searching for the roof for 3 years if only he can see the sun just once he can then die happy. His family is gone ...more
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
"I'm sorry if humans mistreated your people in the past, but if we don't join together now, it's time to admit that we're all just keeping busy while we wait for the Earth to die."

In some far-off future, the earth has been reduced to nothing but isolated pockets of life existing deep within the City, a place where the sun can't even reach. Allin Arcady's sole mission for the past three years of his solo existence has been to reach the roof of the world and set eyes on the sun for the first time
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This title offers a unique combination of dystopian sci-fi and paranormal characters. I found myself engaged with the characters and trying to keep a close eye on the details that would help solve the bit of mystery running like a thread throughout the digital pages.

We are in a wrecked, vacated, ruin of a city cast in perpetual darkness. Pockets of civilization struggle against dark forces to maintain existence, and not all of these communities are human. Allin, our young protagonist, encounters
Brandy
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Only City Left follows Allin as he adventures through the remains of a futuristic city that has fallen into serious disarray following the departure of the majority of its residents. This city is populated by humans, werewolves, mutant humanoid cats, and an array of other inhabitants (humanoid and otherwise; mechanical and otherwise). I found the book a little slow to get into. By the half way point, I really wanted to see what
Robert
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun distopian read. Geared towards a slightly younger audience but can be fully appreciated by adults.

The characters are pretty stock but overall are completed nicely.

The setting suffers from Scale. With so much space in a planet sized city it seems doubtful that so many various sects would live jammed in together in one space that can be reached by a handful of hours.

You will not notice it unless you are well versed in three dimensional planning but the layer cake approach of the
Jesena
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have received an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

I really liked this book. The pace of the story was good and the amount of adventures just right. The end satisfied me too, and it is often the end that can ruin a good book for me. There are some questions left unanswered but I regard them as teasers for the next book.
And to be honest, while this book wasn’t a true 5star for me I loved Tumble and Banshee so much that they pushed the rating up.
Ceh131973
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.
[The Only City Left] by [Andy Goldman] is a nice mix of fantasy and dystopia. The characters were very creative and the setting was fitting. I liked how Allin's goal was to see the 'top of the world' but that changed as he learned more about his past and the city. I definitely would recommend this book.
Tim H. McEnroe
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating story, and I really enjoyed reading it. It is chock full of tense moments that kept the pages turning and yet leaves enough breathing room to allow for great character development.

I'm looking forward to reading about the Fifth House.
Judie
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read that had me intrigued & captivated. The characters were very well written and I am always down for a page turning read.
C.M. Skiera
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, indie
In Andy Goldman's The Only City Left, the protagonist, 18-year old Allin Arcady is driven by a desire to see the sun for the first time in his life. This solar motivation fondly reminded me of my favorite Ray Bradbury short story called All Summer in a Day. Despite Allin's single-minded efforts, the post-apocalyptic urban ruins thwart his every move. For Allin, 'two steps forward, one step back' becomes 'one step upward, two steps down.' Imprisoned in this diabolical game of Chutes and Ladders, ...more
Bella
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. It received a 4.5 on my blog.)

This book was a lot of fun, really. Thanks to a bout of insomnia, I was able to read it in one night. It had a great active reading flow to it, starting quite actively at the beginning and rolling through the narrative with one event after another. There are some points where these events feel a bit rushed, bouncing too fast from one to another, but never so much to pull you out of the story.

There were
Li
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Took me awhile to get into the book, but by the 4th chapter I was hooked and had to finish it. The writing is simple and easy, the plot fun and with unexpected twists.
Rick Wayne
Paul
Mar 23, 2019
Nov 09, 2014
Andy Goldman
Jul 20, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Annette
Dec 05, 2014
Doreen Ford
Dec 05, 2014
Authors & Reviewers: R&R - The Only City Left 3 20 Sep 06, 2014 01:44PM
Andy Goldman has been writing since he was a little kid bashing out stories on his typewriter. They were often incredibly silly firsthand accounts of the adventures of his Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Star Wars action figures. Fast forward thirty years and Andy is still playing with toys and telling stories, much to his delight. The typewriter, alas, did not survive.
One or two other things have

The Only City Left (2 books)
  • The Fifth House (The Only City Left, #2)
“I'm sorry if humans mistreated your people in the past, but if we don't join together now, it's time to admit that we're all just keeping busy while we wait for the Earth to die.” 0 likes