Start by marking “Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1)

Daughter of the Flames (Ruan #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  2,172 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
Zahira is a young woman of the conquered Rua people, their country occupied by another, very different culture - the Sedorne. Zahira is an orphan and has been raised to despise and distrust the occupying population, as well as to be a devout follower of the native religion. But everything changes for Zahira when her home and foster family are destroyed and she finds out so ...more
Paperback, First, 362 pages
Published March 3rd 2008 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of the Flames, please sign up.
Leena (Bookaholic) you dont read books here you only keep track of your current reads and tbr,also you can order books her.dont forget to join 2018 reading challenge!
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldFallen by Lauren KateNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Best Book Cover Art
6,364 books — 5,739 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
4,990 books — 9,409 voters

More lists with this book...

Emi
Daughter of the Flames was quite a treat. It really had a little bit of everything: action, adventure, drama, political mystery, goddesses and the divine, romance—if you can name it, it was probably there. Marriott manages to balance all of these elements and create a fantasy that is not too overwhelming for the reader to understand. But what I really enjoyed about most about this book (aside from the awesome sparring scenes) was the complexity of its characters and their interactions. Though th ...more
Ashley
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
This book is perilously close to a full 5 stars. Because I can't decide, I am for now, instead going to give it a glowing review and demand that you just go out and read the book.

The weakest part of this book and one reason it isn't getting an automatic 5 stars is the prologue. I feel that Ms. Marriott tried to tell us too much about her world all at once, by alternately giving the reader way more information about the happenings of this world than we can currently handle and casually tossing o
Angie
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I've had my eye on Zoë Marriott's second novel, DAUGHTER OF THE FLAMES, since I read Chelle's review lo these many months ago. So I was happy to see it pop up on my Cybils reading list. I've read several books lately that have had an Asian/Middle Eastern flavor to them and was surprised and very much pleased to find DAUGHTER OF THE FLAMES did as well. This was my first novel by Ms. Marriott and I was both looking forward to giving a new author a shot and in the mood for some more traditional fan ...more
Sara Grochowski
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From inside jacket flap: "What if your deadliest enemy was the only one who could save you.

In an ancient temple in the mountains, fifteen-year-old Zira trains in the martial arts to become a warrior priestess, defending the faith of the Ruan people. Then terror strikes at everything Zira loves, and the only home she knows is destroyed byt the occupying forces of tyrannical King Abheron. To survive, she must unravel the secrets of her identity, decide her people's fate - and accept her growing fe
Valerie
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Its been a while but I remember why I wanted to read this book. Firstly for the main girl; she sounded like a strong heroine that can really hold her ground. Secondly because of my brother. Now he doesn’t read books like this but I remember how he used to always say call himself 'Lord of the Flame' (I think he got it from some movie). So the name Daughter of the Flame caught my eye.

I was really hoping to love this book but I was kind of disappointed. Part of it had to do with the main girl. At f
Isa Lavinia
This has been a theme for me lately and I really should learn from it: do not judge a book by its cover. And let me tell you, this book's cover is spectacular, I mean really, it's beautiful. The book itself, however... was boring.

There was nothing particularly wrong with the story. The writing dragged a bit at times, but it wasn't bad. The plot was just the same old fantasy rehash - I notice Marriott thanked Diana Wynne Jones for writing The Tough Guide to Fantasyland but, really, wasn't the who
D
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Daughter of the Flames opened beautifully. Readers enter into a vibrant new world where the unfortunate people have been suppressed by a brutal tyrant. The dynamics of this novel were wonderful. Marriott’s style is lightly reminiscent of the classic fairytale of old. The characters each had distinct personalities, especially the heroine, Zira.

The passion that Zira feels for what she believes in shines through Daughter of the Flames. But the truly captivating aspect of her personality is how she
Luna
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh Zoë Marriott the ways I adore you… ♥

Let me get this out of the way: I am an absolutely massive Zoë Marriott fan. Truthfully I have loved every single one of her books. Daughter of the Flames was my emergency read, like that book you keep when things get on top of you and you need escape and comfort. I’d been saving it for years.

If I was comparing Daughter of the Flames to Zoë Marriott’s most recent Name of the Blade Trilogy then there differences. I mean Zira’s story was Zoë’s second book and
Miriam
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, cover-love
The basic plot here is a fairly cliche high fantasy lost-prince(ss) vs usurping tyrant set-up, but Marriott does manage to add some original elements to make it her own. Zira and Sorin were fairly solid main characters, and I liked that the author did not break down the two sides in the conflict along strictly national/ethnic boundaries (although I think the country of Sedorne could have used some development). Most importantly, I was glad to see Marriott improving as an author -- the writing an ...more
Tammie
Daughter of Flames is a stand alone, which seems to be harder and harder to find in YA nowadays. It does have a companion novel which has other characters in it, but it isn't necessary to read that one to enjoy this one. While I liked that about it, it was also a drawback because I felt the story was a little rushed at times. This book could have gotten five stars from me if it had progressed at a slower pace through certain parts. For example, I wanted to experience how Zahira and Sorin got clo ...more
Iris
I originally rated this book three stars, because of the last sixty pages, but I ended up lowering it. Because although those last sixty pages were pretty good, the first 280 were not.

I'm going to talk about those last sixty pages first. Obviously there's not a lot I can say without spoilers, but there was a big plot twist, and then it got super fast paced and intense, and I really enjoyed it.

But the rest of the book? Bleh.
First of all, the characters had no personality. Like, none.
Second of all
Mel (Daily Prophecy)

My first experience with Zoë Marriott was her lovely retelling The swan kingdom. From that moment I knew I had to read more from her and the sweet Kristen gave this copy to me. Thanks to her I’m now aware that I really like Marriott’s stories and I’m going to hunt down a copy from the companion novel called Frostfire. You can download the first chapter for free if you like to try it out: Zoë Marriott.

The world-building and concept of this book are pretty b
Amelia
Not quite five star material but a solid four star, Daughter of the Flames was a real treat to read. Fantasy religion, sacrifice, secrets, warriors, love - both of family/friends and romantic, rebellion... this book has it all. The best part, though, is the characterisation. The heroine is not a Special Snowflake. She's gifted but not perfect and able to make decisions even when they aren't pretty ones. Her relationship with the hero is touching as are her often complicated relationships with he ...more
CiaraSummers
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The cover of this book is a beautiful piece of art, and, if you read through the entire book, actually fits the story perfectly.

Except for the fact that Zahira (the female lead) was supposed to be scarred on the left side of her face, leaving an ugly white mark all the way down the middle of her forehead, and leaving her left eye slightly distorted. The girl on the cover, however, is practically flawless. In simpler terms, she doesn’t look the part at all.

Another thing that was glaringly obviou
Anne Hamilton
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, spec-fic
A satisfying menarche fantasy.

*spoilers follow*

Zira has been disfigured as a child in the fire that killed her parents. She remembers nothing of her childhood as she grows up in a sheltered monastery. There she is protected from the Sedorne conquerors who have despoiled the land of Ruan. Trained as a warrior priestess, her one desire is to be a fighting namoa but she is unsure where her guardian Surya will choose to appoint her when her sixteenth birthday comes.

Just before that, Surya takes her
Emma
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, reviewed
Another great read by Zoe Marriott. DotF follows the story of 15 year old Zira. Although she is young, she's fearless, which is just as well, because the antagonist in this story is warped as well as evil.

Ms Marriott has been very clever with this book because, not only do you get to know the heroine in DotF, you also get to know her opponent and his motivations and, strangely, you feel some sympathy for him. It really makes you question what makes a person evil? And can evil people do good thin
Izlinda
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I found this book, the English version, in a bookstore here in Malaysia and I was instantly attracted by the cover. It's a beautiful, striking piece of art.

Zira grows up training, hoping to become a novice and a fighting warrior. She lives in Ruan, which was invaded ten years ago by the Sendrone. One day before her 16th birthday, her home, a holy temple, is attacked by the Sendrone king insinuated in Ruan. Upon escaping their attack, Zira discovers something about herself, thanks to the God's fi
Charlie Head
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I'm normally a fan of Zoe Marriott, but I have to say I preferred "The Swan Kingdom" over this.

I found it lacked a bit of substance in some areas. The plot had a few interesting twists but in the midst of all that we lost sight of a few plot elements that just got lost and only showed up again at the very very end.

I feel Zahira and Sorin's relationship was a little flat, and we could have learned more about Zahira herself. Abheron was a little disappointing as villains go, but not all bad. You c
Thenia
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A light and fast paced book with an interesting plot and characters.

A lost princess without family and freshly recovered memories and destiny, a country oppressed and divided in two, the invading Sedorne and the conquered Rua and a tyrant king with his very own sad story.

That was the first book I've read by the author and she has some great ideas, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for more.
Rebecca
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Josie
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, love, ya
Heir to the thrown of a conquered nation is told of her heritage at 16 and considers the help of an enemy to regain her place.

Interesting premise, but total fail in the resolution. I won't give it away, but the ending is an "Oh, c'mon!" Blah. Still the writing is okay, and the heroine interesting enough for when teens have run through all the other strong-girl based adventure books.
Rebecca Scroggins
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens and Young Adults
Recommended to Rebecca by: Bistro Bookclub
Enter Zahira, a warrior priestess in training at a shrine to their 'God.' She lost her memory when she was 5 and then, at age 15, her shrine is burned down by a relative that she didn't know existed. Now, as she regains her memories she has to lead her people to either their rise, or their downfall. Packed with action, romance, and secrets, 'Daughter of the Flames' is a guarrenteed good read.
Ashlyn
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
very good!loved it so much i read it in 1 day.
Eliessa
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was way too predictable and I felt like I was reading some book that was just thrown together without any revision or thought.
Megan Morris
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I liked Zoe Marriott's version of the Swan Kingdom better, but in general, this book talks about coming of age and the power of friends and family.
Enna Isilee
Only complaint about this book is that it was not NEARLY long enough. I wish there had been an epilogue at least. I NEED more!
CeCe
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book!!! One of my favorites.
Ebster Davis
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a literary masterpiece or anything, but it is awesomely fun and I enjoyed it emensely! A lot of action, un anticipated plot twists, and good ending.
Nikki
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Daughter of the Flames is a novel that is both heartfelt yet stunning. Aside from the vast amount of different authors with their own versions of this book, this was a first and favorite by Zoe Marriott. On a side note, this is also a great opportunity to appreciate and admire the beautiful cover. The flames are just so majestic and even though Zira does not look at all of how some envisioned her to be, it is still just as beautiful.

Marriott’s style portrays a fair amount of the old classic fai
Zoe Vavrina
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This just might be my new favorite book. I loved the richness of the characters and the complexities of the plot. I could not stop reading. This book both shocked me and made me continuously want more. I am so happy to find out it is part of a series.
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Destiny's Path (Warrior Princess, #2)
  • Origins (Truancy, #0)
  • Gateway
  • The Glass Swallow (Dragonfly & The Glass Swallow, #2)
  • Secondhand Charm
  • The Healer's Keep (Healer and Seer, #2)
  • The Princess's Dragon (The Breath of the Divine, #1)
  • The Glass Maker's Daughter (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #1)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Blade of Fire (The Icemark Chronicles, #2)
  • Fury of the Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #2)
  • Queen in Exile
  • Anxious Hearts
  • The Explosionist
I've known that I wanted to be a writer since I finished reading my first book; 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton. I think I was about eight, but I've never changed my mind in all the years since then.

I got my first publishing contract when I was twenty-two, but had to wait until I was twenty-four to see that book published (it was The Swan Kingdom).

I live in a little house in a town by the
More about Zoë Marriott

Ruan (2 books)
  • FrostFire (Ruan, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99