Start by marking “Playing with Fire (FIRE Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (FIRE Trilogy, #1)

Playing with Fire (FIRE Trilogy, #1)

If you’re playing with fire, prepare to get burned – or to fall in love.

Sparks fly when Felicia and Joshua meet. Discovering her inner fire and unleashing unimaginable powers makes her realize that all her life, she has been hiding her true self. When buildings burn and people are in danger, the tempting game of playing with fire becomes serious. Will their love and desper
Published July 19th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Fire

Start your review of Playing with Fire (FIRE Trilogy, #1)
Neha Kaushik
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, the first chapter told me my mind wouldn't rest until I finish it.

Meet Felicia, who will stun you with every decision she takes and then there is Joshua, without who Felicia's character would lose its "fire". I had a smooth read until I got to the real twist.. Just like in our favorite TV series something shocking happens and we all go berserk over it, this book will give you exact same feeling.. The plot is so intense at few points that it'll evoke a spontaneo
Patricia Burleson
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good

This is a good book. It kind of starts off slow but speeds up towards the end. It has some action and elemental magic. So get your copy and enjoy reading.
Nikita Jhanglani
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Playing with Fire is, for me, a Harry Potter meets a Mills and Boon romance!

More than just a love story, the tale revolves around the life of Felicia who, in the small town of Fairview, lives away from family and friends with her only acquaintances being Cindy, her roommate and her boss at the library. A fiery past haunts Felicia and, daunted by it, she chooses to live a life of seclusion, making as little human contact as possible.

Until enters Joshua! Felicia has never been in love before, neit
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Don’t play with matches, fire catches” – remember the poetic slogan that we were taught during childhood days? Refresh your memories with Devika Fernando, who is a versatile author and proved her mettle with her previous works. With this offering, she dares to play with “Fire”, one of the five elements governing the lives on the planet earth. You must be thinking how is it possible? She has made it possible by deciding the fate of her “blessed” female character – Felicia.

Devika has adopted a de
Azia
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Playing with Fire (4 Elements of Love, #1) by Devika Fernando
Devika Fernando

I absolutely Loved this book, and can't wait to read more about these two!!I can not say enough good things about this one! I so enjoyed this book, that I am going to have to buy it in paperback version to add to my favorites bookshelf! So glad that the author is going to write more about these two. I want more. Such passion between them...super hot mix of Fire & Ice. This is Paranormal Romance at it's Best!!! This book has everything you can want and more. Loved it & highly r
Ruchi Singh
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Sparks really fly when Felicia and Joshua meet under intriguing circumstances. The sensuous chemistry between the two ignites, sizzles and consumes both in their quest for controlling her inner power. The brisk plot takes us through various twists and turns, and ending with a surprising, atypical climax.

This is the first book in recent time that I’ve read, where the author has successfully mixed wisdom of both western and eastern culture through various lessons learned by Felicia. I loved the me
Aarti Raman
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it

Devika Fernando's Playing with Fire gives us two strong and etched out characters in Joshua and Felicia. Their chemistry, though slow to sizzle starts to heat up as the book progresses. Felicia's character growth arc is remarkable for a quiet, shy librarian to the Girl who plays with fire. The plot too is brisk and the ending is a surprise rush. Highly recommended for fans of Paranormal Romance! Playing with Fire
Mia Epsilon
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I can't say much about the plot line without 'spoilers', but I will say I loved how the author tied the elements and title together so neatly, cleverly and with twists, turns, and a story you simply can not put down! Felicity is a heroine to route for and struggle with, especially when her life changes almost before her eyes. The true power of this book is the emotional depth of each character, the interactions and especially the dialogue. I can't wait for the next one!
Kam
Aug 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
3 chapters in and this one just doesn’t do it for me. The h seems so immature. There’s probably a good story here, it’s just a bit too slow paced for me.
Usha Narayanan
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it

The book opens with the crackle of fire. Hissing, spitting, devouring fire. The flames leap out of the broken windows of a two-story house while a woman watches. Who is she and why is she so drawn to the fire? Is it her house or is she the one who set it on fire? Or is there someone inside she is desperate to save? And who is the man hurtling towards her as she moves forward in a trance to subsume herself in the pyre?

`Playing with Fire' opens like no book you have read. Meet Felicia, the woman
Inderpreet Uppal
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to read the second book by Devika as I had high expectations as I had already reviewed her first book When I See Your Face earlier. I was not disappointed 

This book is very different from her previous work and it made me appreciate her versatility as a writer. This is the first part of a four part series and I immensely enjoyed it. The nature theme for a paranormal genre, references to the “X-Men” and the likes really got me glued to the book. (Ps: I am a big paranormal ficti
Rubina
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I will start by shamelessly by quoting the author, Devika Fernando - "Eternal Flame and perpetual Ice." This is exactly what one feels after reading this book. A blow hot and a blow cold kind of feeling. The funny part is after reading about Joshua, you wish the author made him the Fire.. he is so bloody HOT.....

The story….
Felicia was not an ordinary girl. Her fascination with fire made her apart from any normal girl. She kept to herself especially since she had to bear the hatred of her parents
Sundari Venkatraman
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This latest novel by Devika Fernando is Book 1 of the series, “4 Elements of Love” and is all about Felicia who represents Fire. But there’s one more person in the love story – Joshua, who represents Ice.

Felicia is unable to deal with herself as she has been fighting the strangeness – a fascination with fire to the point that she is able to create her own from thin air – within her since she was a child. Her parents never understood her and soon she is estranged from them. She shares an apartme
Arti
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received Devika Fernando’s book, Playing with Fire from the author herself, and I would like to thank her for the same. I do not read paranormal generally, but felt that this is different. This is first book of the four book series.

Felicia works as a librarian, having left her home. Her contacts are limited to her contacts and sister; her boss at the library and her roommate, Cindy.

Seeing a house burning, Felicia is attracted by it and starts walking towards it. Part of her wants her to react
Shilpa Garg
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Felicia seems like an ordinary woman who works at a local library, but there is something different about her. Anybody in their right mind would be scared out of their wits at the sight
of a raging fire. But not, Felicia. She feels the fire tempting her, pulling her closer with its heat and energy, and with its promises of passion. There’s a dangerous, undefinable strength lurking inside her which makes her restless and she is unaware of her unique magic.

Joshua, a private investigator, ‘saves’ h
Swathi Shenoy
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Felicia, the fire lady, has lived her entire life in isolation, afraid of the strange power she possesses. Fire, which signifies danger to many, calls to her and she couldn't help but be enthralled by it. Fire doesn't hurt her and those few who witnessed this seem to be scared by her. So, Felicia has been leading her life trying to suppress her powers and blending in as much as she could. All this changes when Felicia meets Joshua, who seems to wield a special power just like her.

When Felicia
Reet Singh
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Playing with fire is the first paranormal I have read - kudos to Devika for trying her hand at something different. Felicia is gorgeous - just as fiery as the cover suggests. I am impressed by how the author manages to imbue Felicia's character with fire, and Joshua's with ice. Their caresses are eloquently described - can you imagine fire and ice intermingling? Whoa! It is really something!
There are several pages where Felicia and Joshua are kept apart by circumstances - I would have enjoyed t
Ruchira Khanna
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book opens with a bang. This bang symbolizes sparks flying, window panes bursting, and loud noises of structures falling. Felicia was slowly approaching this ball of fire to test her guts, when suddenly she gets a push, and her plan gets busted when another main character of the novel, Joshua enters the scene.

Click here to read more:
Nilima
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Everyone has a special ability, but seldom we know or acknowledge it?This book will make you think hard about yours?Felicia is a normal girl with a fire core inside her.Joshua emits coolness, Norse god looks, statue like face giving away nothing going on in his mind. What will happen if she looses control? How will their love & life struggle to appear normal work out?
Read the full review here: http://grabthebook.blogspot.in/2014/1...
Hannah Symonds
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was brilliant, a stunning plot that will have you thinking for a time after you have read this book. Nice start to the story and Devika writes incredibly well as the conclusion is fantastic. I've even had the pleasure of reading and reviewing Devika's first book 'When I see Your Face' and that was a brilliant story too. I love the cover too as it adds a certain mystery to what will happen in this story. Intriguing story.
Angela Peixoto
This book was the first book I read in the paranormal romance genre as it is not my favourite genre. However I gave it a try just because I really enjoyed all the other books I had read by author Devika Fernando. I ended up reading the Fire Trilogy but before I read more books in this genre I have to finish reading all the many other books I very much want to read!
Kshitij
Paranormal romance is a new rage. This adds another dimension and tension to stories. Otherwise love stories tend be pretty boring. Boy meets girl, they fall in love and marry. Or don’t.

The story opens with a burning house. She is fire and can’t burn. But Joshua doesn’t know this and tries to save her. Then they meet again in the library where she works. Sparks fly and attraction she feels is electric.

The story has potential and as this is book 1 story is developing. Characterization is good so
Jacq
Feb 21, 2018
Devika Fernando
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tammy Holowicki
Feb 24, 2015
Khush Walia
Oct 14, 2015
Subhajit Das
Nov 22, 2018
Devika Fernando
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
S. Kilkenny
rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2018

• Archangel's Kiss (Cursed Angels, #1)
  • Romancing The Deadly
  • Marked By the Wolf: Part 1
  • Creatures of the Dark: A Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • Highlander Hellcat
  • Summer Court (The Tarot Witches, #4)
  • The Tarot Witches I-IV: Caged Wolf/ Forbidden Witches/ Winter Court/ Summer Court
  • On A Witch and A Spell (Blackwood Bay Witches, #0.5)
  • Becoming the Witch (The Rise of Orion #0.5)
  • The Celtic Witch and the Sea: Two stories of modern British magic
  • Witch Way To Amethyst (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #0.5)
  • Allegra (Remembering Raven #3)
  • Mischief and Magic
  • Cheyenne (Remembering Raven #1)
  • Tajael (Fallen Angels #1)
  • The Witching Hour: 11 Enchanting Novels Featuring Witches, Wizards, Vampires, Shifters, Ghosts, Fae, and More!
  • Alpha Initiation (Alpha Blood, #1)
  • Witch Happens (The Summer Sisters Witch Cozy Mystery, #1)
Almost as soon as Devika Fernando could write, she imagined stories and poems. After finishing her education in Germany and returning to her roots in Sri Lanka, she got a chance to turn her passion into her profession. Having lived in Germany and in Sri Lanka with her husband has made her experience the best (and the worst) of two totally different worlds – something that influences her writing. H ...more

News & Interviews