Start by marking “The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)

The Legacy

(The Legend of Drizzt #7)

Life is good for Drizzt Do'Urden, better than it ever has been for the beleaguered dark elf. His dearest friend, the dwarf Bruenor, has reclaimed his throne, and his adventuring companions, Wulfgar and Catti-brie, are to be wed in the spring. Even the halfling Regis has returned. All the friends are united in the safety and prosperity of Mithril Hall, where streams of silv ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1992)

Start your review of The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
Markus
This is such an incredible step up from the Icewind Dale trilogy, and a return to the rather more impressive Salvatore storytelling of the books on Drizzt's origin.

The drow are awesome villains, whereas Artemis Entreri is arguably one of the most one-dimensional, horribly boring fantasy characters I have ever encountered. The guy is completely shallow, his only purpose is being the Anti-Drizzt, and the series would be much better off without him.

That being said, this is all wonderfully enjoyable
Wanda
In which Drizzt learns that family is forever. They may be evil psychotic bitches, but you’re still tethered to them unless you’re willing to do something drastic about it. Readers who have had a change in religion from their families and find it coming back to bite them will also feel right at home in this adventure!

The Spider goddess, Lloth, does her best to re-capture Drizzt and get what she considers her due. Possibly because friendship is an unknown quality in Drow Elf society, she under-es
Kati
May 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Greg Strandberg
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Simply amazing! I've read this about 3 times now since first reading it in high school. I love these characters and this book starts out on a long stretch that goes...oh, I'd say a good 4 books or so.

There's a lot of good humor and cheer and then things get bloody. But that's the way we like it, right? Hey, who the hell am I writing this to, anyways? You know this is 5-star!
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
I was really excited about this book, but ultimately I felt a little let down. I was so excited to have Drizzt’s crazy family returning as villains, but so much just seemed to be lacking here. Vierna and Dinin were Drizzt’s last two remaining family members, the family that was cunning enough to survive with the rest of their family gone… but it turns out they didn’t really survive at all. Vierna went completely mental and lost all of the shrewd intelligence that set her above her sisters and tu ...more
Sud666
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Legacy follows the story of Drizzt, the Drow Ranger, as he prepares for the wedding of his friends Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie. All the former companions have assembled at Bruenor's hall to celebrate. But, the Drow have not forgotten Drizzt's defection and the master assassin, Artemis Entreri, is working in cooperation with the Drow. This does not bode well for Drizzt or his friends.

The Legacy stands out for two things: (1) It has a very dark tone, considering two important characters do die. (2
Shawn Fairweather
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Guilty pleasure of course, cruised through half of it in a couple hours on a nice saturday afternoon. Same ol same ol concept. Drizzit and his allies set out on a quest after old resurfaces nemesis however their quest ends up taking them deep into Drizzts homeland that he vowed never to return to again. Lots of fight scenes...probably too much which would have shorted the book by about 25% if some of the over done portions were taken out, but again I wasnt looking for the perfect novel just some ...more
Nathaniel Hardman
May 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a mess.

My college roommate will remember this book, not because he read it, but because I ranted about it so much while I read it. So dumb.

There's a scene in this book that will go down as one of the stupidest things to ever happen in any book ever - (view spoiler)
Michael Tildsley
It's really hard to rate this series on a five star scale. There are definitely deeper philosophical books, but these books are entertaining. Each one further develops the characters, while adding something to the overall mythos of the fantasy universe being presented. There are clear good guys and bad guys.

Of this book in particular, I would say that the beginning and middle were just so-so. The ending was really pretty good. The return of old adversaries and the revelation of an ancient grudge
Gregory
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is quite possibly the best pure action book I've ever read. It helps that after six books, RAS doesn't have to spend too much time explaining characters and their motives. So while the heart strings were plucked a couple of times, it was the action strings that were strummed. All this action makes this book one incredibly fast read especially if you are vested in the story and characters. One heart string is plucked very hard and I'm man enough to admit that it choked me up (just brief ...more
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
This is the third Forgotten Realms book authored by R.A. Salvatore released in 1992 and the second in a row during that year's publishing schedule (after Night Masks), and the first book in this line to come out in hardcover. I had no idea how essential Salvatore and Driz'zt were to TSR publishing right from the start. The reason is clear; it is easy to see how appealing his works were (and still are) to eager fantasy readers.

This thing is action-packed from start to finish. Salvatore's strong
Nico
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Typical Salvatore/Drizzt book. I guess you can turn a blind eye on the obvious flaws if you are a fan of the Drizzt series. A quick and action packed read, lot of fun!
Richard Eyres
Been many years since i last read this book, and i had forgotten some of the items that appeared in this book. Including one of the biggest.
I liked how this book managed to tie up the previous two trilogies - by bringing Drizzt family back into it.
MangoLoverReads
3.25/5 - Listened on audiobook. Salvatore is a good writer. He can weave a good story. Didn’t enjoy this one as much as others in the series. Maybe because the locations where it takes place are limited.
F.T.
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It was good to get back to the underground, with the spiders, assassins and creeps.
Paul
The Legacy by R.A. Salvatore is the 7th book in his Drizzt series and the first R.A. Salvatore book I’ve read in probably 15 years. I read The Icewind Dale and Dark Elf Trilogy when I was a teenager and absolutely loved them. Drizzt is still one of my favorite characters in fantasy. I wanted to read some of the later books, because Salvatore’s work is comfort fantasy for me, and that is what I was in the mood for.

The Legacy features the Drow coming after Drizzt. The entire story takes place unde
Jonathan Harbour
R.A. Salvatore is the nicest guy you'll ever meet or talk to online. Seriously. It is impossible to not like the guy. His writing is adequate, though. The Crystal Shard was his first novel. Like Pat Rothfuss, Salvatore has an English/Writing degree, and I compare the two because their writing skill is similar. Rothfuss is full of @*#$, while Salvatore is not--he tries very hard, succeeds and fails in equal measure, and is not full of himself like Rothfuss.

So, while I can follow along with Salva
Josh
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the characters in the first half of the book, but as the plot unfolds, you see why the characters weren't acting like you think they would. I still am not a huge fan of how Salvatore played out Drizzt's sister Vierna, who had some redeemable qualities after the first trilogy. Still love these characters with a passion though.
James Tomasino
Sep 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Wow, so I remember these books being pretty basic but this is just bad. The characters are beyond shallow and the writing is poor. I guess there's some things you just can't go back to.
Lise
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The fighting scenes are very intense.
David Williams
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Drizzt Do’Urden has finally found a home. Together the companions rescued Regis from the clutches of a vengeful pasha. Drizzt battled his enemy Artemis Entreri into a retreat. Afterwards the led a dwarvish army against Bruenor’s ancient realm of Mithril Hall and took it again for the king. Now Bruenor sits on his throne and the biggest concern that the companions have is the wedding of Catti-Brie and Wulfgar. Things are not as peaceful as they seem. Unbeknownst to the companions an old enemy lur ...more
Aisha Mahmoud
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I cannot put these books down. RA Salvatore is just amazing. Full of adventure, action and awesome characters. And I am just loving the world of the Forgotten Realms. It is full of so many exciting and creative creatures and places. I am finding myself excited and drawn to the other books in the Forgotten World series, once I finish Salvatore and even the computer games. Maybe I can get one of the older games for cheap. I cannot believe Ed Greenwood created this world when he was only 8 years ol ...more
Samuel
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I find it difficult to draw up a summary on these books without spoiling anything, so here's the gist of things; Many new threats have to come Mithril Hall, both Foreign and domestic and of course it has to be near a wedding date. New faces are common amongst far older and fouler ones. Personal demons can be found in abundance here as we see character development by the leaps and bounds, many shattering conclusions lay within these pages.

As a self-proclaimed fantasy geek, I am all too familiar w
Daniel D.
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, abandoned
I wanted to like this, I wanted to ignore all the campy and dull moments of the book in order to enjoy a simple and easy to read fantasy tale. But the author just kept hammering on the worst points of the novel.

The story already had a bad start with Catti-brie annoying self, saying "You can't kill the goblins, you have to talk to them first".

Then Wulfgar tried to kill Drizzt for NO REASON. Later is revealed that he was jealous of him for kissing Catti-brie on the cheek in a sign of friendship (D
Michelle
It was great to see what is going on in the lives of Drizzt and his friends after the Icewind Dale Trilogy. The plot was great (some shocking twists), and I am looking forward to reading the next installment. I fell in love with the Drizzt series because of how well the characters were developed and I found them relatable, found myself rooting for them. The story went by so quickly and I felt that further character development was missing in this book; that was my one regret. My favorite parts o ...more
Dieg
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize I missed the intrigues of Menzoberranzan so much! It's probably the thing I love the most about this book, also it cleared a doubt I had for a long time: (Oh should I say spoiler now?)

Entreri is not the equal of Drizzt, it was a magical dagger all along... Yes he is a good fighter, an excellent fighter even, but it really upset me when it seemed like Drizzt Do'urden, the drow champion, could have a human equivalent.
Also I was really sad about Vierna, she was one of my favorite
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2010
For all of this big talk surrounding Drow I found them weak characters in this book and not at all as frightening as Salvatore tried to make them out to be.

Also here are Salvatore's Three favorite lines in his books:
1) Drizzt's eyes flashed.

2) He reversed his momentum/grip.

3) (S)he instinctively knew.

I'm sort of getting sick of how weak everything seems compared to Drizzt. It seems like Salvatore has a crush on his own character which prevents him from ever doing wrong. It wears on me.
Russell Hayes
Oct 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I read fantasy books to get away from the real world. They are, for better or worse, an escape. The first several of this series accomplished that. More recently, however, they have been straying into contrived, parochial issues of race and (with this book) gender that dominate today's world. Please, spare me. I get enough of these tired issues from the papers, the universities, and my Facebook feed. Will there ever be an end?
Garrett Marland
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
This entire book is just one long brawl in some caves. I'm not even exaggerating, it starts with something resembling a plot, then some people go to a cave and get ambushed, and the next 300 or so pages are one long chase through the tunnels with a fight scene on every other page. Blegh.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Legacy 1 5 Dec 01, 2012 03:30PM

• Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Reader's Guide to the Legend of Drizzt
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Azure Bonds (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #1)
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • Pool of Radiance (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #1)
  • Daughter of the Drow (Starlight & Shadows #1)
  • Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #3)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1)
  • Pools of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #2)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #2)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Legend of Drizzt (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)
  • The Silent Blade (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #11)

News & Interviews

“Farewell is said by the living, in life, every day. It is said with love and friendship, with the affirmation that the memories are lasting if the flesh is not.” 99 likes
“Farewell, my friend," Drizzt whispered, trying futilely to keep his voice from breaking. :This journey you make alone.” 13 likes