Start by marking “Nola Fran Evie” as Want to Read:
Nola Fran Evie

Nola Fran Evie

They were unladylike rebels, three young women abandoning rolling pins for baseball bats to join the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. They changed history and that changed them. After the league folds in 1954 Nola, Fran, and Evie meet by chance on a popcorn-scented summer day where it all began…Wrigley Field, Chicago. They team up once again to fight for a ...more
Published July 13th 2014 by Britt Skrabanek

To ask other readers questions about Nola Fran Evie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nola Fran Evie

Tom
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My blogging friend Britt Skrabanek has written a fun, fast-paced novel about three strong women who form a lifelong bond in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. (This was the league formed in 1942 to fill the void the war brought to Major League baseball.) Although there are a few early scenes at Wrigley Field, don’t expect lots of baseball games with pitchers staring down spitting batters. This book is really about the women’s disparate struggles after the league ended in 1954.

T
Curtis Bausse
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Britt Skrabanek was brave to write this, a book outside the boundaries of genre literature. But she followed her heart and penned a portrait of three baseball-playing women: their struggles, their hopes and fears, their relationships. Chronologically, it flits around but mostly it's in the fascinating 1950s, when their baseball playing days are over. Through an accumulation of details, both the context and the women's psychology are captured with great sensitivity. Don't expect a roller coaster ...more
Dannie Hill
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Nola Fran Evie by Britt Skrabanek very much. The obviously talented author has spun a tale that caught my interest from the start. Before opening the first page I thought this was going to be ‘chick-lit’ and I probably wouldn't like it, but I was so wrong.

I enjoyed ‘A League of Their Own’ so expected something similar, but this story was much more. Women in the 40’s and 50’s were not supposed to be independent, willful and athletic. Nola, Fran and Evie were all those things and at the
BG of RC
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A terrific, well-crafted literary novel with memorable characters. The prose is terrific, and the dialogue is clever and snappy. Highly recommended, especially to lovers of literary and historical fiction.
Rob Schreck
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Britt skillfully blends disparate women’s lives in to a masterful story. 3 strong characters’ first reveal that their own lives. Then they demonstrate a powerful connection as they find themselves needing to work together. Only to be separated again, each finding a unique path to follow. Set against a Chicago backdrop Nola Fran Evie was well written and a quick read. I enjoyed the book and I would be confident you would too.
Julie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Instant fan of those gals! Nola, Fran and Evie, as well as Jacks, who introduces us to them, are the kind of characters you want to discover and read about for ever. Britt Skrabanek takes us into a modern story you won't be able to put down until you read the last word, perfectly-written roles, intense descriptions that will make you want to see a movie come out of it all.

It's the month read, without a doubt!
Aimee Ann
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

An exceptional historical fiction novel that takes readers on a moving journey back to the 1940s and 1950s with three women—Nola, Fran, and Evie. Their lives are intertwined forever, from the time when they played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League and after the league folds when they have a chance meeting on Wrigley Field in 1954. Together they are determined for change, and they are willing to face and overcome adversity to get it.

Skrabanek has accomplished the near impossi
Dale Rogerson
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I've had the chamce to read a book I can't put down and actually not put
it down!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In the beginning it felt almost like a copy or add-on to the belove (to me) movie "A League of Their Own" but soon drifted away from the beginnings of the creation of the women's baseball league that was born during WWII.

I was fascinated by the stories of Nola, Fran and Evie and couldn't wait to find out what Jacks had to do with Them. I was kind of hoping th
Kate Johnston
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A homerun of a novel!

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Nola Fran Evie by Britt Skrabanek. I’m a sucker for stories that take place in the 1940s – 1960s. As well, I’m drawn to stories with strong female characters, smart dialogue, provocative writing, and a fresh premise. This book had it all—and then some!

What I loved best was how the author introduced several women who, on the outset, couldn’t possibly have anything in common, and then masterfully drew them together so their lives intertwined
Mary Jo Malo
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Working Girl Meets A League of Their Own Meets Mad Men. . .

Not in a superficially descriptive way but quintessentially—as personality forged in the furnace of time. Nola, Fran and Evie sense their lives are dominated by fate, but who they love and how they live actually affect their era (pun intended). How we earn a living and who we sport or consort with are reflections of our culture, yet our choices also affect that culture.

From WWII to postwar boom and beyond, from the demise of the All-Amer
Carrie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
Nola Fran Evie is a delightful read that interweaves the present-day story of Jacks with the nostalgic story of three women who played for the women's baseball league during and after the war. Jacks becomes drawn into their world after discovering items in a vintage purse that belonged to one of the women. Though Nola, Fran, and Evie are very different from each other, they all yearn for something and are willing to face adversity to find it.

The shifting back and forth between present and past
Brittney
Sean
Jul 16, 2019
is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2019
Britt Skrabanek is a fiction author living in Portland, Oregon. She enjoys writing about bold female characters who use their misconstrued sass and wit for good, no matter how sticky the situation may be. She is blissfully married, has two delightfully incorrigible cats and loves to experience the world--all of its quirky beauty inspires her endlessly. Her favorite authors are Ken Follett and Ian ...more