Start by marking “SLAM” as Want to Read:
SLAM

SLAM (The Psionics 0.5)

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews

When it com
Published October 14th 2014 by Glass House Press (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about SLAM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SLAM

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
The Best Teen Novels Ever Written
42nd out of 135 books — 148 voters
Howl of the Wolf by Diane RappThe Havenshire Resistance by Diane RappThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDragon Defense by Diane RappCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Best YA Science Fiction
42nd out of 130 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne

For a debut novella, this didn't suck.
I'm not sure what to make of the way the author has written it, though. I've honestly never come across anything like this before, and I'm not even sure if this is correct, but it seems to be written in 3d person present tense. Maybe? I'm not an expert on tenses or narration so I could very well be wrong. If anyone out there would like to correct me on this, feel free to leave a comment and I'll edit this sucker. All I know is that it was sort of...
Mary Fan
Danger and superpowers and rebellion, oh my! SLAM is the high-octane introduction to Tash McAdam's upcoming YA dystopia series, The Psionics, and follows the tough-as-nails teen rebel Serena - who possesses the psionic powers akin to telepathy plus telekinesis - on her first mission for the Anti-Reprogramming Collective (ARC), an opposition group fighting the powerful and evil Institute. In this bleak future, children with telepathic powers are kidnapped and enslaved by the Institute, which seek ...more
Carrie White
Holy emotional roller coaster, Batman! Tash McAdam, a debut author with this novella, has built an incredibly complex -- and frightening -- world here, and people'd it with some amazing characters. Our main character, Serena, is going through the steps of becoming a certified operative in the organization rebelling against the government, and she's got a good reason for wanting to fight.

She, and those like her, are Psionics -- people gifted with mental powers that make them both valuable and dan
William Herr
Oct 08, 2014 William Herr rated it it was amazing
Fair Disclosure: I know Tash McAdam personally, and was given an advance copy, for review purposes.

SLAM is Tash McAdam's first book, and she came in with, well, a slam. No, that wasn't meant to be a clever play on words. It just came out that way.

SLAM follows the main character, a young psionic girl who fights, first to prove her efficacy as a soldier, and then to prove herself on her first mission. As the lead-in for the Psionics series, there is a lot of information to convey, and we learn it
George Ebey
Oct 11, 2014 George Ebey rated it it was amazing
Futuristic action and adventure is the name of the game in SLAM, the first story in the upcoming series, The Psionics, by Tash McAdam. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pre-release copy and boy was I impressed.

SLAM follows the exploits of Serena, a tough teen endowed with telekinetic and psychic abilities. As the story unfolds, Serena finds herself embroiled in an epic struggle against evil forces that are bent on ruling the population with an iron fist. Serena, though, is anything but hel
Tooey
Oct 13, 2014 Tooey rated it it was amazing
It could not be more clear that SLAM is Tash McAdams's first published work of many. In it, the groundwork is laid for a richly layered dystopian society: a world in which the Institute, a sinister government agency, kidnaps and brainwashes citizens born with special psychic abilities known as Psionics. Using this stolen power, the Institute suppresses the people of the cities, resisted only by ARC, a collective of telepaths devoted to resisting the Insitute's hold.

This story of Serena, a young
Jessica
Oct 13, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Tash McAdam is an exceptionally talented writer who seamlessly describes a world like nothing you have seen before. Her characters are not just people you want to be friends with, they are people you want to BE. Each character possesses their own motivations, talents, strengths and weaknesses. All while fighting a corrupt government and trying to save a young boy. Although living in a world very different from ours, they are characters we can relate to nonetheless.

Tash uses our current obsession
Deirdre Hancock
Oct 14, 2014 Deirdre Hancock rated it it was amazing
Tash McAdam's SLAM is an adrenaline fueled telekenetic punch to the face that will leave you reeling and drooling for more! Use Serena Jacobs' eyes for a first glimpse into the world of Psionics as she risks everything and faces anything to prove herself and save what she loves.

“Psionic (n) - A person with the ability to use one of three branches of telepathic ability.”

Follow Psionic Serena as she rages against those that would keep her from her final goal; saving her baby brother Damon captured
Ula
Dec 23, 2015 Ula rated it it was amazing
Starting this novella I was already excited because of the synopsis. I was not ready for such a great story though! I was immediately pulled in and loving it! It's so well written - fluid, descriptive, not boring, action-packed and mysterious. I was in love very early on!
The idea itself is very original and one that I warmed to instantly. I enjoyed the world, the character, the story in the back that drove the main hero forward... It was all very well thought out and I had so much fun reading th
Dalidja
Nov 09, 2014 Dalidja rated it really liked it
Yes, just.. yes.
I really wish Slam was a full novel, and I can't wait for Maelstrom. I could see this series being a hit. I was a little thrown by the use of third-person present tense narration, but that's a writing choice, and the story itself was awesome.

Netgalley read.
Brittney Porterfield
Slam is Tash McAdam's debut novella in which she introduces her characters, as well as, the premise for her Psionics series. In this novella, Serena has committed her life to one task; to find and save her younger brother from the evil grasp of the Institution. In order for her to find him she must first prove that she is strong enough to defend the ARC (Anti-Reprogramming Collective) as a soldier. In order to do so she must survive grueling training and testing. She and the other Psionics (a pe ...more
Camille Lecointre
Nov 08, 2014 Camille Lecointre rated it it was amazing
If you're into telekinetics, action-packed sci-fi, fast-paced writing and clear-cut relatable characters, then there's no way you can miss this book.

This is the author's first published novella, and if it's any indication to what she can produce in the long run, then she's off on a brilliant career as a famous science-fiction writer.

The style is quick, almost panting at times as we rush through the combat and action scenes, and it takes short breathers every once in a while to show the reader a
Boundless Book Reviews
For a starting book this one was great. I understand its a prequel to more and I'm so happy about this fact. From beginning to end it kept me enthralled. It was well written, had a great set of characters, and had a great storyline. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this book. I am looking forward to the others to come because I really want to know whats happens with Damon......Stormi

Delaney
Oct 20, 2014 Delaney rated it it was amazing
When I begin a sci-fi series, my mind immediately starts with the world. I need a world I can vividly imagine, that makes me want to learn its history and future, as well as being filled with rich characters. McAdam's first published work provides a world within the Psionics series that brings these elements, and much more.

You follow Serena, a freshly-minted operative who's fighting against the Institute. They kidnapped her brother for his psychic abilities with plans to enslave him and use him
Raven Magill
Oct 27, 2014 Raven Magill rated it it was amazing
For a new author, this is a super solid first work. SLAM offers an all-too-brief glimpse into an exciting sci-fi universe. I think that anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games is going to find the territory of this book familiar, but also new and exciting. I am very excited for the rest of the Psionics series, and can only hope that the characters introduced in this novella show up again. Overally, I highly recommend this little gem. It's a fast read, but the world really sucks you in, and you'll be ...more
Ant Thomson
Apr 10, 2015 Ant Thomson rated it it was amazing
Confidence and style shine through this debut. The ideas at the core of the story are powerful and intriguing, painting a picture of a future which is hauntingly familiar in this era of endangered freedoms. SLAM offers up a wonderful taste of what we can expect in the Psionics series. Roll on the Maelstrom!
Melissa
Nov 25, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Highly imaginative and the authors descriptions paints the picture very well. This is an action-packed book, that you find yourself lost in the pages. This is a definite hit for YA lovers.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via NETGALLEY.
Fiona Leung
Sep 01, 2015 Fiona Leung rated it it was amazing
(I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review)

This is an amazing debut novella from Tash McAdam. I was captured from page one and couldn't wait to get more from the story.

I like the writing style used here, even though some reviewers have mentioned it's a bit unusual, I found it worked very well here.

This is an introduction to the world of Serena in the distant future where the government runs the Institute which kidnaps telepathic kids. Serena belongs to an underground rebe
Marie
Oct 25, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing
McAdam introduces a new, exciting world with clear images that bring this story to life. By the time the adventure was under way, I was glued to the edge of my seat. My heart raced with the storyteller's, my muscles clenched as the characters prepared for battle, and my eyes couldn't get to the words fast enough.
This novella was so much fun to read and I can't wait for more in The Psionics series!
Heather Brown
Nov 13, 2014 Heather Brown rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teen, YA
I loved this Psionics novella starring Serena! She joins her former best friend on a mission for ARC in Second City. Abial and Serena aren't even sure what they are looking for, but it soon becomes apparent that they have to move fast to find something very important before the soldiers do. Readers meet Leaf and Sam in this exciting story.
Leon Dunn
Nov 08, 2014 Leon Dunn rated it really liked it
Slam was a very intense read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Set in the future, though it seems to me not all that far off from now, a pair of telekinetic friends set off in search of, well, something, they're not sure, and this draws you in instantly. The writing was swift and engaging, perfectly leading the reader along with very vivid imagery. Meant for young adults, but anyone with a little imagination will really enjoy this novella. Definitely looking forward to the next one! Well done young M ...more
Lela Buis
Oct 23, 2014 Lela Buis rated it really liked it
This was an exciting and dramatic story about agents of a futuristic Institute told by a young agent. It was highly imaginative and the images were very clear and vivid, bringing the world to life. The characters were strong and well developed, and it was easy to become involved with Serena's concerns and problems. Everything wasn't resolved in this story. I'll be looking forward to more adventures!
Mar 31, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it

When it comes to getting Damon away from those who kidnapped him, there's nothing Serena won't do. Even if she has to kill him to save h
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Goodreads Synopsis: Telepaths, torture, mindwipes ... the Institute has it all, and they use each of their brainwashed children as weapons, the way they see fit. To control society, repress its people. To make certain that they stay in power, no matter the cost. Serena’s baby brother Damon is one of those children, and these days he’s so altered that he doesn’t even recognize her.

Nathan Beauchamp
Mar 08, 2015 Nathan Beauchamp rated it it was amazing
SLAM is a novella-sized prequel to Tash McAdam's forthcoming series THE PSIONICS, due in 2015. SLAM introduces the surly but capable protagonist Serena, a teenage girl with tremendous psionic power and the desire to prove herself as an able field agent for the resistance forces fighting a dystopian government. She's a likable, interesting lead character, one I had no problem relating to even though I happen to be a thirty-something guy.

SLAM excels at creating believable psionic fights featuring
Lachesha W.B.
Oct 16, 2014 Lachesha W.B. rated it it was amazing
This story is amazing! From start to finish it keeps you tuned in. I love McAdam’s imagination and the cool superpowers her characters have. This story is exciting and surprisingly unpredictable. I loved it so much! I can’t wait to see what other work McAdam puts out. I am now a huge fan. This book is a must have!
Michelle Randall
Reviewed for Readers Favorite

In a future world of paranormals, where psychic talents are no longer rare but somewhat common you have the readers, the projectors and the blanks. Trouble is the government wants them all and will stop at nothing, including kidnapping young children to use them for their own purposes. Underground lives the ARC, a resistance movement of people who are fighting against the government and it's policy of kidnapping psychic children. One of those is Serena, and it's pers
Alex West
Mar 09, 2015 Alex West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq
This is a great little novella from a new author. There is a strong sense of character and the world is very vivid. The action is intense, and it's always nice to find a credible kick-arse female hero.
Di Stefano
Oct 15, 2014 Di Stefano rated it it was amazing
Exciting, fast-moving, unpredictable! Great characterisation, interesting storyline and a fascinating new world. A great read. Loved it.
Joseph Phillips (BookolioBlog)
Feb 04, 2015 Joseph Phillips (BookolioBlog) rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:

I got an email from the author (Tash McAdams) asking to review her book, so this is an honest review!
SLAM is the author’s debut novel and honestly you wouldn’t think that with the writing style and the way it is written.

To begin with, I really enjoyed this book and I’m not the biggest fan of the Young Adul
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
8391973
Tash McAdam’s first writing experience (a collaborative effort) came at the age of eight, and included passing floppy discs back and forth with a best friend at swimming lessons. Since then, Tash has spent time falling in streams, out of trees, learning to juggle, dreaming about zombies, dancing, painting, learning Karate, becoming a punk rock pianist, and of course, writing.

Tash is a teacher in r
More about Tash McAdam...

The Psionics (3 books)