Start by marking “SLAM” as Want to Read:
SLAM

SLAM

(The Psionics #1)

Keep your head down. Don’t look anyone in the eye. Never even think about technology if one of those ghostly, grey cars is sliding silently down the road. They'll see the thoughts inside you, if you let them.

Sam's a technopath, able to control electronic signals and manipulate technology with his mind. And so, ever since childhood, his life has been a carefully constructe
Published October 14th 2014 by Glass House Press (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about SLAM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SLAM

Start your review of SLAM
Mary Fan
Danger and superpowers and rebellion, oh my! SLAM is the high-octane introduction to Tash McAdam's upcoming YA dystopia series, The Psionics, and follows the tough-as-nails teen rebel Serena - who possesses the psionic powers akin to telepathy plus telekinesis - on her first mission for the Anti-Reprogramming Collective (ARC), an opposition group fighting the powerful and evil Institute. In this bleak future, children with telepathic powers are kidnapped and enslaved by the Institute, which seek ...more
Carrie White
Holy emotional roller coaster, Batman! Tash McAdam, a debut author with this novella, has built an incredibly complex -- and frightening -- world here, and people'd it with some amazing characters. Our main character, Serena, is going through the steps of becoming a certified operative in the organization rebelling against the government, and she's got a good reason for wanting to fight.

She, and those like her, are Psionics -- people gifted with mental powers that make them both valu
William Herr
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fair Disclosure: I know Tash McAdam personally, and was given an advance copy, for review purposes.

SLAM is Tash McAdam's first book, and she came in with, well, a slam. No, that wasn't meant to be a clever play on words. It just came out that way.

SLAM follows the main character, a young psionic girl who fights, first to prove her efficacy as a soldier, and then to prove herself on her first mission. As the lead-in for the Psionics series, there is a lot of information to
George Ebey
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Futuristic action and adventure is the name of the game in SLAM, the first story in the upcoming series, The Psionics, by Tash McAdam. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pre-release copy and boy was I impressed.

SLAM follows the exploits of Serena, a tough teen endowed with telekinetic and psychic abilities. As the story unfolds, Serena finds herself embroiled in an epic struggle against evil forces that are bent on ruling the population with an iron fist. Serena, though, is anyt
Tooey
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It could not be more clear that SLAM is Tash McAdams's first published work of many. In it, the groundwork is laid for a richly layered dystopian society: a world in which the Institute, a sinister government agency, kidnaps and brainwashes citizens born with special psychic abilities known as Psionics. Using this stolen power, the Institute suppresses the people of the cities, resisted only by ARC, a collective of telepaths devoted to resisting the Insitute's hold.

This story of Sere
Deirdre Faye
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tash McAdam's SLAM is an adrenaline fueled telekenetic punch to the face that will leave you reeling and drooling for more! Use Serena Jacobs' eyes for a first glimpse into the world of Psionics as she risks everything and faces anything to prove herself and save what she loves.

“Psionic (n) - A person with the ability to use one of three branches of telepathic ability.”

Follow Psionic Serena as she rages against those that would keep her from her final goal; saving her baby brother Damon captur/>“Psionic
Ula
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Starting this novella I was already excited because of the synopsis. I was not ready for such a great story though! I was immediately pulled in and loving it! It's so well written - fluid, descriptive, not boring, action-packed and mysterious. I was in love very early on!
The idea itself is very original and one that I warmed to instantly. I enjoyed the world, the character, the story in the back that drove the main hero forward... It was all very well thought out and I had so much fun read
Anne

For a debut novella, this didn't suck.
I'm not sure what to make of the way the author has written it, though. I've honestly never come across anything like this before, and I'm not even sure if this is correct, but it seems to be written in 3d person present tense. Maybe? I'm not an expert on tenses or narration so I could very well be wrong. If anyone out there would like to correct me on this, feel free to leave a comment and I'll edit this sucker. All I know is that it was sort of...odd...to read.
But the story wasn't bad at all, and iof......to
Jessica
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tash McAdam is an exceptionally talented writer who seamlessly describes a world like nothing you have seen before. Her characters are not just people you want to be friends with, they are people you want to BE. Each character possesses their own motivations, talents, strengths and weaknesses. All while fighting a corrupt government and trying to save a young boy. Although living in a world very different from ours, they are characters we can relate to nonetheless.

Tash uses our current ob
Brittney Porterfield
Slam is Tash McAdam's debut novella in which she introduces her characters, as well as, the premise for her Psionics series. In this novella, Serena has committed her life to one task; to find and save her younger brother from the evil grasp of the Institution. In order for her to find him she must first prove that she is strong enough to defend the ARC (Anti-Reprogramming Collective) as a soldier. In order to do so she must survive grueling training and testing. She and the other Psionics (a pe ...more
Marie
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
McAdam introduces a new, exciting world with clear images that bring this story to life. By the time the adventure was under way, I was glued to the edge of my seat. My heart raced with the storyteller's, my muscles clenched as the characters prepared for battle, and my eyes couldn't get to the words fast enough.
This novella was so much fun to read and I can't wait for more in The Psionics series!
Dalidja
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yes, just.. yes.
I really wish Slam was a full novel, and I can't wait for Maelstrom. I could see this series being a hit. I was a little thrown by the use of third-person present tense narration, but that's a writing choice, and the story itself was awesome.

Netgalley read.
Camille Lecointre
Shelves: devoured
If you're into telekinetics, action-packed sci-fi, fast-paced writing and clear-cut relatable characters, then there's no way you can miss this book.

This is the author's first published novella, and if it's any indication to what she can produce in the long run, then she's off on a brilliant career as a famous science-fiction writer.

The style is quick, almost panting at times as we rush through the combat and action scenes, and it takes short breathers every once in a whi
Raven Magill
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For a new author, this is a super solid first work. SLAM offers an all-too-brief glimpse into an exciting sci-fi universe. I think that anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games is going to find the territory of this book familiar, but also new and exciting. I am very excited for the rest of the Psionics series, and can only hope that the characters introduced in this novella show up again. Overally, I highly recommend this little gem. It's a fast read, but the world really sucks you in, and you'll be ...more
Leon Dunn
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Slam was a very intense read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Set in the future, though it seems to me not all that far off from now, a pair of telekinetic friends set off in search of, well, something, they're not sure, and this draws you in instantly. The writing was swift and engaging, perfectly leading the reader along with very vivid imagery. Meant for young adults, but anyone with a little imagination will really enjoy this novella. Definitely looking forward to the next one! Well done young M ...more
Lela Buis
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an exciting and dramatic story about agents of a futuristic Institute told by a young agent. It was highly imaginative and the images were very clear and vivid, bringing the world to life. The characters were strong and well developed, and it was easy to become involved with Serena's concerns and problems. Everything wasn't resolved in this story. I'll be looking forward to more adventures!
Boundless Book Reviews
For a starting book this one was great. I understand its a prequel to more and I'm so happy about this fact. From beginning to end it kept me enthralled. It was well written, had a great set of characters, and had a great storyline. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this book. I am looking forward to the others to come because I really want to know whats happens with Damon......Stormi

Heather Brown
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teen, YA
I loved this Psionics novella starring Serena! She joins her former best friend on a mission for ARC in Second City. Abial and Serena aren't even sure what they are looking for, but it soon becomes apparent that they have to move fast to find something very important before the soldiers do. Readers meet Leaf and Sam in this exciting story.
Melissa
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Highly imaginative and the authors descriptions paints the picture very well. This is an action-packed book, that you find yourself lost in the pages. This is a definite hit for YA lovers.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via NETGALLEY.
Alex West
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, reviewed
This is a great little novella from a new author. There is a strong sense of character and the world is very vivid. The action is intense, and it's always nice to find a credible kick-arse female hero.
Sinead Stinson
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down!! I loved how clearly the super powers were described and the fast pace! Can't wait for more!!!!!
Di Stefano
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, fast-moving, unpredictable! Great characterisation, interesting storyline and a fascinating new world. A great read. Loved it.
Joseph
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:

Serena’s baby brother Damon is one of those children, and these days he’s so altered that he doesn’t even recognize her.

I got an email from the author (Tash McAdams) asking to review her book, so this is an honest review!
SLAM is the author’s debut novel and honestly you wouldn’t think that with the writing style and the way it is writt
Nathan Beauchamp
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SLAM is a novella-sized prequel to Tash McAdam's forthcoming series THE PSIONICS, due in 2015. SLAM introduces the surly but capable protagonist Serena, a teenage girl with tremendous psionic power and the desire to prove herself as an able field agent for the resistance forces fighting a dystopian government. She's a likable, interesting lead character, one I had no problem relating to even though I happen to be a thirty-something guy.

SLAM excels at creating believable psionic fight
Michelle Randall
Reviewed for Readers Favorite

In a future world of paranormals, where psychic talents are no longer rare but somewhat common you have the readers, the projectors and the blanks. Trouble is the government wants them all and will stop at nothing, including kidnapping young children to use them for their own purposes. Underground lives the ARC, a resistance movement of people who are fighting against the government and it's policy of kidnapping psychic children. One of those is Serena, a
Deniz
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great first book from Tash McAdam. A very creative new world bordering on fantasy and sci fi. A very fun read. Looking forward to the next book in the series and how the story will progress. Very much recommended.
Maxwell Pearl
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Slam is an interesting, intriguing, and entertaining read. The world you find yourself in, as you follow Serena, who is a gutsy, courageous and driven teenager, is believable and fascinating. From her struggles to finally pass the test, to her adventures rescuing someone in trouble, I was kept on my toes by the action. The concepts of telepathy and telekinesis are a central part of the story, but don't overtake the character development or world building.

I'm looking forward to readin
H Lease
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SLAM is a great story! I thoroughly enjoyed this novella, in one long sitting. It was gripping, pacey and utterly convincing: it never lost my interest or sympathy and left me eager to start on the sequel (and sad it isn't available til June). It's an invigorating read. Characters are real and the setting's believable, intriguing and thought-provoking, with a compelling and genuinely touching plot. Fresh, exciting and original.
Alex Harrow
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun reading this. I Am The Storm honestly read like the queer X- en Dystopia I wish I had been able to read growing up. The pace of this is fast, making I Am the Storm definitely one of those books that grab you and won't let you put it down until you're done and ready for the next book. I can't wait what Sam, Serena, and the rest of the gang get up to in the rest of the series!
Max
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very good YA dystopian novella, with solid world-building, strong characterization, a powerful emotional arc, and nonstop action (plus a really cool premise). I can't wait to see more of Tash McAdam's work!

• Shifting Shadows (Metal and Magic, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Hidden Powers (Superordinary Society, #1)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • The Things She's Seen
  • Hellion (415 Ink, #3)
  • Starless
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Wrapped
  • Dark Rain (The Anrodnes Chronicles #1)
  • Port in a Storm
  • Three Under the Christmas Tree
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Sweeter Than Caramel
  • Swallow (A Forbidden Desires Spin-off, #1)
  • Eyeliner and Lace
  • Lesser Things (OMNI Corp #1)
Tash is a Welsh-Canadian author and teacher. They've been published in multiple anthologies, and their first personal release, a YA novella called SLAM was an international bestseller. Their debut series, The Psionics, is being released in full over 2019, from Nine Star Press.

When they're not writing, they're usually found teaching either Computer Science or English in Vancouver. Tash identifies

The Psionics (3 books)
  • We are the Catalyst (The Psionics, #2)
  • They Are the Tide (The Psionics, #3)