Start by marking “Tell Me My Name (Fated Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tell Me My Name (Fated Stars, #1)

Tell Me My Name (Fated Stars 0.1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

She does know that she must get out, at all costs. And that escape must start with remembering the simple things – her own name. Her place of origin. Her possible powers.
When a group of dark magicians reveal themselves to be her
Published October 14th 2014 by Glass House Press (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me My Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me My Name

Meghan
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are two things that made me read this novella - that amazing cover AND the fact that it is by Mary Fan. Having read books from her other series, I was excited to see what she had to offer here - and, as usual, she did not disappoint. Mary has a way with words, describing things in such detail that you feel you are looking at it with your own eyes, pulling you into the story where you are the one that experiences the events. I liked the story of creation in this book - interesting and creat ...more
William Herr
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fair disclosure: I received an early copy of this book, for review purposes.

With this book, Mary Fan has broken away from what I once considered her comfort zone: jaunty Science Fiction NA/YA genre adventures with sassy heroines and brooding heroes. This book is a departure from that formula, and it is a wonderful one.

Tell Me My Name is, as the title suggests, about someone with amnesia. The book is set in a flamboyantly fantastical world, and is unapologetic about its appearance. If anything,
Tash McAdam
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary Fan is one of the most remarkable descriptive writers I have ever read. Tell Me My Name takes place in a single location, but soars across a world, tantalizing the reader with hints at the shape of the larger setting. Totally fantastical, while remaining original with the laws of the universe, Tell Me My Name was an emotional glimpse into the current, distressing situation of a young girl you immediately connect with. The flash back scenes are beautiful, the pacing perfect, and the set up f ...more
George Ebey
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a pre-release copy of Tell Me My Name and I’m happy to report that it was every bit the treat I was hoping for.

The story opens with a girl who wakes up in a cold dungeon with no idea of who she is or how she got there. The tension soon rises as she struggles to understand her situation and cope with the sinister forces that are working against her.

Despite being set largely in a one-room cell, Mary does an excellent job of introducing us to a rich and lavish world that is truly cleve
Ian Wood
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Rivalie (Le Petit Photograph)
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
(Copy was provided for the Storytime Book Tour - hosted by Mark My Words Publicity)

Tell Me My Name is one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. From the beginning to the end, the language has a beautiful lilt to it that allows you to imagine the icy prison the girl is locked in. The air of mystery that surrounds the story is quite captivating and something that I've never encountered before. Why must it only be 65 pages and why must I have to wait for the first book to come out??
Jason Parent
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was offered this book in exchange for a fair an honest review. This is that review.

When I write reviews for indies and rate indie books, I always do so from the perspective of what I believe the author's target audience would feel about the book. I am not this book's target audience, and I do not think those who read my many horror reviews would enjoy this book, unless they also read fantasy of the more magical and mystical kind.

My tastes are actually quite broad, so I did enjoy reading this s
Jacqueline Simonds
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Put this one on your “must read” list! A young woman awakes in an ice-clad room with no door and only a small window. More importantly, she has no idea who she is. Her only clues are the strange dreams she has, and bizarre encounters with an agony-inducing magician in black. The only bright spots in this hellscape: the beautiful blue butterflies outside her window, and the mage’s apparently rebellious apprentice.

Fan’s suburb writing makes this claustrophobe’s nightmare intense and fascinating.
Cassidie
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Geek Girl Obsess - YA Book Reviews, Movie & TV Show Reviews, Video Games

*I received a free copy from the author/publisher through Mark My Word Publicity in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!*

Can we just talk about the cover for a tad, please? It's severely gorgeous. However, as gorgeous as it is, it's pretty deceiving. Tell Me My Name is not kidding around. It's dark and it's full of pain and hurt and precariousness. After all, what can you be sure of if you don't even know who you a
Ivan Amberlake
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Tell Me My Name is an introduction into Mary Fan’s new fantasy series, Fated Stars, with the first book, Windborn, due in 2015.

A girl wakes up in an icy cell without knowing who she is and why she is there. A group of magicians visit her, accompanied by an apprentice who is the only one who seems to care about how the girl feels.

Whenever she tries to remember anything, searing pain shoots through her, but she keeps trying nevertheless as she is sure remembering some facts about her past may help
Lily Jervis
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book to review. I was attracted to it because of the cover, which was nothing like the book, and yet it was. The protagonist was a girl trapped in a dungeon of ice, and she has no memory. She is captive to a group of wizards - most significantly, an older one and a young apprentice. The older one tortures her but the younger one seems kind. I wasn't sure whether I should trust him.

The story is told almost entirely through the girls thoughts as she struggles to remember who she i
Dalidja
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, this story has me kind of breathless.
It takes place mostly within the main character's own mind, weaving through her confusion, pain, and varying emotions. We discover bits of the world as she does, and it's truly a unique world Fan has built. I'm right with the character, wanting to smash free and unveil the mysteries beyond her prison. Unfortunately, not everything is resolved by the novella's end, and the series is not out yet, and so it will be a long time before I can join her in the d
Carrie White
This story is definitely a change of pace/direction for Mary, but it doesn't make it any less. Although our heroine is stuck in a jail cell, she still manages to give us tension, utter horror, a Big Bad Guy, a hero, and an idea of what the world outside might be like.

And beyond that, we fall completely and horribly in love with her.

Mary's writing is, as usual, sharp and intense, yet beautiful and descriptive, so that we can almost feel ourselves in the story. Her descriptions of Kiri's memories
Kay
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story started a bit slow, but I loved it (some of my favorite books start off a bit slow). Naturally, it was over before I knew it, but it left me longing to know more about Kiri and Darien and what's going to happen with the two of them. Also, the green-eyed man intrigued me, but I couldn't help smiling at the words "green-eyed man" because it reminded me of the movie Bolt. (Time to whip out the kids card, though I probably would have seen Bolt even if I hadn't had kids.)

Anyway, I can't re
Melissa
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This was a great novella and one that makes you want to dive directly into the next book. The descriptions throughout the book are vivid. You are drawn to the main character and can feel her confusion and her pain. The ending was a surprise, I didn't expect it at all. Can't wait to read the next installment.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via NETGALLEY.
Marie
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully written peek into a gorgeous world. I have so many questions, I can't wait for the series!
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Synopsis: In Mary Fan's second novella, a girl wakes up in an icy cell, alone and frightened. She has no memory of who she is or how she came to be there.

When a group of dark magicians reveal themselves to be her captors, she finds herself in the clutches of those who will stop at nothing to uncover the secrets locke
Ula
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I previously read one other Fan story and loved it, so I was excited for Tell Me My Name. It's a fantasy novella set in a world full of magic, which was absolutely something I wanted to know more about.
Fan writes really well. I already mentioned this before, and I'll say it again: it's simple, easy, but charming. She doesn't drag it out and bore you to death with it, and she isn't info-dumbing you six feet under. This story has a lot of magical elements and the writing follows suit. It's lovely,
Max
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This slight but evocative novella mainly serves as a teaser for Mary Fan's forthcoming series. It worked. I'll be keeping my eye out for the book proper.
Fiona Leung
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
(I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review)

First off, I really liked the cover and it has attracted me to read this book ahead of some others.

This story is told in the form of first person narrative and it starts off with a girl waking up alone in an icy cold cell. She doesn't remember anything about herself, hence the title of this novella.

The writing style is fluid and poetry-like. However, I found it very repetitive and not very easy to read. It seems like the reader i
Brian
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story without an end

Don't buy this book it is a teaser and very frustrating to not give an end to the story seems a commercial trick which I don't appreciate. The story was good to the point where it just stopped.
Errin Stevens
Nov 01, 2014
Meg Merriet
Jan 12, 2016
Mary Fan
Jul 19, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Stephen Kozeniewski
Katie Bananas
Mar 10, 2015
Kate Moretti
Mar 15, 2015
Mary Fan is a hopeless dreamer, whose mind insists on spinning tales of “what if.” As a music major in college, she told those stories through compositions. Now, she tells them through books—a habit she began as soon as she could pick up a pencil.

Mary lives in New Jersey and has a B.A. from Princeton University. When she’s not scheming to create new worlds, she enjoys kickboxing, opera singing, an
More about Mary Fan