Start by marking “The Pharmacist” as Want to Read:
The Pharmacist

The Pharmacist

The Pharmacist is a powerful story of Billy, a young man drawn into the sphere of Albert — The Pharmacist — a compelling and damaged older man and drug dealer. As their relationship grows, fuelled by Albert's strange narratives and his endless supply of narcotics, the foundations of Billy's own life shift and change. Alive with the strange twilight times between day and ni ...more
Published June 1st 2014 by Salt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Pharmacist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pharmacist

Start your review of The Pharmacist
Col
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, d
Synopsis/blurb.....

Twenty-four-year-old Billy is beautiful and sexy. Albert – The Pharmacist – is a compelling but damaged older man, and a veteran of London’s late ’90s club scene. After a chance meeting in the heart of the London’s East End, Billy is seduced into the sphere of Albert. An unconventional friendship develops, fuelled by Albert’s queer narratives and an endless supply of narcotics. Alive with the twilight times between day and night, consciousness and unconsciousness, the foundati
Emma
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an intense, intoxicating read. It takes you on a trip of erratic ecstasy, pleasure and lust. When you experience the comedown you feel dazed and bewildered asking yourself, did that all really just happen? Did you feel that? Was it real? You must have felt that?

The story follows Billy, a 24 year old artist struggling to find inspiration to paint his next work of art. When we are first introduced to him he is watching an old man buying flowers. Billy is captivated by him and appears to b
Steph Warren
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this novella with thanks to the author and Nathan at Inkandescent. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

The Pharmacist is a short, contained story, but incredibly powerful.

With a very limited number of characters and settings – mainly Billy and Albert, and their respective flats – there is an intimate, almost claustrophobic feel to the story, which mirrors the unhealthy and isolated nature of the character’s relationships with each other.

At first, I assume
Simon Howard
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This 2014 novella was featured somewhere—I can’t recall where—as one of a pair of books to read together, the other being Box Hill by Adam Mars-Jones. I haven’t read that just yet!

The Pharmacist focused on Billy, a man in his 20s, who falls into a friendship with Albert, an older gay man who lived in a flat in the same building. As their friendship developed, Albert introduced Billy to illicit drugs, and their relationship became closer and more complex.

I enjoyed this for the contrast between Bi
NeilN
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to the overcrowded marketplace for gay relationships, I tend to be cautious. But The Pharmacist by Justin David has truly blown me away. It’s funny, sexy, thought provoking, truthful, surreal and haunting. The writing is filled with wit and tenderness. It’s right up there with Edmund White, Neil Bartlett.

Justin David has the ability to present characters with a brutal truthfulness that reminds me of Edward St. Aubyn. It’s really something special. The novella is agile as a gazelle.
Ken Cook
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking read

This story is quite deep. The author presents what might be considered a romance, drawing the artist and his upstairs neighbor carefully, slowly walking towards the conclusion. London, at least the maisonette and the club, become visual components of the plot. Quite moving.

As I am a gatherer of books, I collect books and ebooks from a variety of sources: Goodreads wins, BookBub, BookFunnel, Riffle, Prolific Works, emails from authors and publishers, and others. I do lose tr
Snoakes
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-or-blagged
The Pharmacist is a short and intense read about a short and intense relationship. Billy is an artist whose creativity is given a boost when he starts an affair with the much older Albert. Albert himself is the pharmacist of the title - a regular fixture on the local club scene in his panama hat and with his never-ending supply of a wide range of narcotics.
Unflinching, sticky, trippy and tender, the dialogue crackles and the writing is excellent.
Helen
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book by a friend and found it a very engaging read, so much so I finished it in one sitting. Great writing style, I only hope the next one is longer.
Karmagirl
Apr 06, 2015
Benedicta Norell
Oct 23, 2014
Anna
rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2014
Mark Ramsden
Apr 16, 2019

• In Five Years
  • Swimming in the Dark
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Poor
  • Nightingale
  • Willow Tree Wood Book 2 - Little Deer and the Dragon
  • One Last Prayer for the Rays (DCI Michael Yorke, #1)
  • Hamnet
  • Firewatching (Detective Sergeant Adam Tyler #1)
  • Kingdomtide
  • Will He Go? Trump and the Looming Election Meltdown in 2020
  • The Water Cure
  • The Book of Longings
  • Yes No Maybe So
JUSTIN DAVID is a writer and artist living and working in East London. After graduating from the MA Creative and Life Writing at Goldsmiths College he completed a London novel, ‘The Pharmacist’, set in Shoreditch, about pleasure seekers derailed and looking for love in the wrong place.

His debut novella, The Pharmacist, will be released on June 1st by SALT Publishing as one of the first acquisitio

News & Interviews