Start by marking “A Crack in Everything” as Want to Read:
A Crack in Everything

A Crack in Everything

(Dubh Linn #1)

Welcome to The Other Side ...

Chasing a thief, Izzy Gregory takes a wrong turn down a Dublin alley and finds the ashes of a fallen angel splashed across the dirty bricks like graffiti. She stumbles into Dubh Linn, the shadowy world inhabited by the Sidhe, where angels and demons watch over the affairs of mortals, and Izzy becomes a pawn in their deadly game. Her only chance
Published September 1st 2014 by O'Brien Press

To ask other readers questions about A Crack in Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Crack in Everything

Aoife
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves dark fae stories or the TV show Lost Girl
4.5 Stars

I received a free copy of this book from O’Brien Press in exchange for an honest review.

Izzy Gregory is living a normal life with her normal family in Dublin, Ireland, when one day she sees a beautiful work of graffiti showing a fallen angel. From then on, Izzy’s life changes and she is introduced in quick succession by a tortured boy called Jinx to the secret side of ‘Dubh Linn’ where the fae live. Fae and angels are real and Izzy may have just been dropped into the middle of a war.

Th
Grüffeline
Zuallerserst muss ich mal was los werden: Titelübersetzungen, die mit dem Original aber auch gar nicht mehr zu tun haben... WER MACHT SO WAS?! Der Originaltitel hier lautet: 'A Crack in Everything: Welcome to the other Side". Da ist der Schluss, die deutsche Ausagbe mit "Chroniken der Fae: Aus Papier und Asche" zu betitelt vollkommen logisch, ne? Und das ist nicht das einzige Buch, womit so verfahren wird. Ärgert mich jedes Mal und ich musste es mal loswerden (wenn euch da Beispiele aufgefallen ...more
Kathleen
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Wanneer Izzie de DART naar Dublin neemt, voelde ik mij weer helemaal daar en zag ik het zo weer voor mij :-) Dit boek was vooral een intro vond ik en een uitgebreide kennismaking met de personages. Ben wel benieuwd naar het volgende boek.
Karina
Last read 8th September 2015, first read 15th September 2014 - I had to reread in order to prepare for the sequel, A Hollow in the Hills then, this time it was to prepare for A Darkness at the End. I was a bit nervous because often the shine can wear off a little on the second read - I needn't have worried...sinking into the world of Dubh Linn/Dublin all over again was just wonderful!

A YA novel set in contemporary Dublin, where our own world and the world of the fae overlap and interlace in ways
Deirdre
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Damn you Ruth.

Now in the interests of full disclosure I know Ruth and I can see echoes of panels we've been on, or she's been on and I've commented at or bar-room discussions later, at conventions in this. My greatest regret about this is not reading it sooner, but now I have book 2 to look forward to reading soon.

Izzy is a regular teen with a summer job and challenging her parents, but one day she sneaks out to go to a gig with friends and her life changes forever when she's exposed to the fey
Ms. Morgan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Only 60 pages in, but utterly hooked! Part of the fun is encountering words that are Irish/English! Fascinating challenge!
John
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this book. It is an urban fantasy, set in Dublin, Ireland, populated with beings from Irish mythology. Nothing remarkable there you might say. However three things make this a great book. Firstly, the author has populated the book with wonderous characters, that are fresh, believable, memorable, and at the same time most definitely are archetypes. Somehow the author has managed to flesh out archetypes so that the feel like real people. The second thing is the author's choice of locations ...more
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where to start?

Clearly based on my rating i enjoyed the story. The book as a whole was well written and since communicating with the author i know this is part one. What was GREAT however about this was that the story finished! No cliff hanger here! I hate when series of books end each book on a cliff hanger. There is nothing more frustrating.

If i were to liken this book to any others, i would suggest if you like Karen Marie Moning Faefever series then you are onto a winner here!

Characters:
Meet
Alyssa
My gosh this was a rollercoaster.

I freaking loved it.

The fae and the Dublin on top of Dubh Linn and the Izzy and the Jinx and the Angels and the demons and the bonds and the feels and the ugh so good.

This book man. I recommend the hell out of it. Also see Ms. Long's other book, A Treachery of Beautiful Things because that one was equally amazing.

Gah I can't wait for the next one.
C Hellisen
An urban fantasy set in Dublin, that draws on the myths of the sidhe and angels and demons, and pulls them together in an epic story. If you like your fay with more than a little darkness, and a story that centers on the war between angels and the fallen, then go read this.

I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Rachel Marks
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Long is so talented. A smart and wonderful book with a detailed setting and spectacular world-building. Highly recommend.
Emma
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
REVIEW BY JESSICA 8:6

A Crack In Everything by Ruth Francis Long is set in modern day Dublin, however all is not as it seems. The main character, Isabelle Gregory (Izzy) enters a spine-chilling alley, in search of a man who stole her mobile phone, she grasps that the humans aren’t the only race on the flat plane (Earth). Many other supernatural beings also inhabit this land, and she had just, unknowingly crossed the threshold into their territory.

The story is told in third person narrative; I thi
Rike @ RikeRandom
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele
Rezensionsexemplar, zur Verfügung gestellt vom Verlag im Austausch für eine ehrliche Rezension ♥

Mit „Aus Papier und Asche“, ihrem Debutroman, entführt Autorin Ruth Frances Long ihre Leser nach Dublin und Dubh Linn, die Schattenwelt, die die der Menschen überlagert und in der die Fae leben. In diese Welt stolpert auch Izzy, die sich immer für einen ganz normalen Teenager gehalten hat, bis sie in Dubh Linn auf Jinx tri
Heather Lawson
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
____________________________
I was excited to pick this book up when I received the second in the series for review. The story sounded really interesting and the mix of fae with angels and demons isn't something I've really read a lot about so I was eager to see how all these creatures meshed together.

Izzy is just a normal teenager until she spies a graffiti angel on a wall and suddenly everything in her life changes. When she meets
Amanda
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a vacation to Ireland after I finished my book, at first it was a little weird and hard to follow. But by the end I was in love with it!
Christopher Gerrib
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently attended Shamrokon, the 2014 European SF convention, held in Dublin Ireland. While I was there, Ruth Frances Long held a launch party for her novel A Crack in Everything. Unfortunately for her, most people attending were just interested in the cupcakes, but she did sell me a copy of her book. I’ve finished that book and greatly enjoyed it.

Isabel “Izzy” Gregory is a typical Irish teenager, living in Dundrum, a southern suburb of Dublin. She does have a minor problem with electronics –
Sophie
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish-authors
I don't normally write reviews on books that I've read but I felt the need to do so after reading "A Crack in Everything". I came across this book accidentally in my local bookshop. After reading merely a few pages I was hooked."A Crack in Everything"is an urban fantasy set in Dublin, Ireland. There is a very strong sense of setting in this book. I've been to Dublin on many occasions, used the public transport system and I've been to many of the places mentioned in the book. The author's descrip ...more
Celine
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
So much to love in this YA novel: the characters for one. Ruth Long just has a way with characters, they're nuanced and real and very very chewy in so far as they manage to both embody themes but also live as real people outside of those themes. Delicious stuff. I also adore what she did with the Irish version of fairy tales - such delicious power play, strong amoral and manipulative matriarchies,characters tied by and fighting against both destiny and societal expectations. Again, delicious is ...more
Atika Diana
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! A fantasy story of faes, Cui Sidhe, Aide Sidhe, Angels and Heaven. Set in modern Dublin and Dub Linn, the fae equal on the same horizontal plane, the author's clever use of abandoned and overlooked spaces in the city as points between the two realms. The characters are captivating and well-expanded and best of all the story is nicely wrapped at the end of the book. No cliffhangers. The fast-paced storyline and action-packed adventure will keep you turning the pages.

About
Anna
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is always great to see authors use the ordinary around you and twist it to something unexpected. When that 'ordinary' is your town, the myths and language you grew up with it - it is joy. I loved the interweaving of the different legends and myths,particularly the Irish ones of the Sidhe .
The story itself begins with Izzy and how she blunders into this otherworld of fairies. Meeting Jinx who is of this world, she attempts to understand this otherworld and how she can see and interact it. As I
Rhoda Baxter
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've never been to Dublin and my knowledge of Irish Mythology is fairly limited (okay, I learned what I know from the TV series Merlin... so I don't really know anything), but that didn't matter. This is a fantastic book. It feels a bit like Neverwhere in that there are two cities coexisting on slightly different planes. I liked that. I also liked the battling matriarchs. I especially liked that you had no idea if Izzy could trust any of the supernaturals. Izzy is a great character. Jinx is a wo ...more
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An exciting adventure through a magical alternative Dublin with well-drawn characters and a powerful heroine.
JBooks
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Sterne
Silberschnitt
Leider eine totale Enttäuschung. Grottiger Schreibstil mit möchtegern-coolen Fantasyelementen und super schlecht ausgearbeiteten Schlüsselszenen. Schade.
Erin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
great story. can't wait to see what happens next...
Rachellie
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It got me right out of my reading slump!!
Amazing book
Triona Campbell
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Long's book is a really clever look at the ancient legends of the Fae / sidhe in Ireland. A reworking of these stories into a modern setting for a new generation to enjoy.

It reminded me of another book I read recently, the amazing THE CALL by Peadar O Guilin which it predates. Where it works best is in the characters of Izzy and Jinx. My only quibble - I sometimes felt overwhelmed and a little lost by the description of so many factions within the sidhe and their internal politics - however it i
Noelle Kelly
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this whole series and A Crack in Everything is a brilliant introduction to the characters and the trilogy.

The writing is beautiful and the locations are perfectly described. I loved that Dubh Linn, the faerie realm exists side by side with modern day Dublin.

Izzy, Jinx and the other characters are enchanting and this is an adventure, mystery and romance. The Irish mythology elements and the Sidhe are intriguing. I could gladly read about the Sidhe all day long!
This was thrilli
Lor
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this. There can be a tendency with YA to be set in an 'Anycity' or to tell yet another story of an alternate London, but this book takes Dublin and makes it almost another character, setting it so firmly it couldn't work anywhere else. I love Irish mythology and this is a very skilfully woven story that brings together all of that yummy hard-to-pronounce magic and contemporises it effortlessly. I like Izzy, she has her annoying teenage moments at times but overall she's a more likeable f ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Resonance
  • Needlework
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • Killing the Dead
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Beware Of The Storybook Wolves
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • Shadowboxer
  • The Glass of Lead and Gold
  • Phoenix Rising
  • Ancient Appetites
  • The Red Ribbon
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
Ruth Frances Long writes young adult fantasy such as The Treachery of Beautiful Things (Dial, 2012) and A Crack in Everything (O'Brien Press, 2014), the first in a trilogy set in the world of demons, angels and fairies that exists alongside our own in modern day Dublin, followed by A Hollow in the Hills (2015) and A Darkness at the End (2016).

As Jessica Thorne she writes Fantasy/Space Opera for B