Start by marking “Gods of Asgard: A graphic novel interpretation of the Norse myths” as Want to Read:
Gods of Asgard: A graphic novel interpretation of the Norse myths

Gods of Asgard: A graphic novel interpretation of the Norse myths

Journey to the frozen lands of northern Europe, where mighty gods battle fearsome monsters for control of the earth and the worship of mankind. But tragedy strikes as the Gods of Asgard fall not to their mortal foes, but the enemy within. Drawing from the original source material, award-winning illustrator Erik Evensen gives us a glimpse into the legendary adventures of Th ...more
Published 2007

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Asgard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods of Asgard

Start your review of Gods of Asgard: A graphic novel interpretation of the Norse myths
Aurora Goga
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m quite unsure what I think of this book. It did a decent job of giving an overview of the myths considering there are 20 stories stuffed into 160 pages. However the panel organizing was difficult to read at times, and the use of fake runes really annoyed me. It would have been so easy to use elder or younger futhark, but there are other characters mixed in. The “runes” are used in a way where it would make sense that they have actual meaning.

I also wish the female characters got to be more th
Xavier
Dec 18, 2019 added it
This book told me somethings that i didn't know for instance I didn't know almost all the gods had wife's and some had children!!!!!!! I never knew loki had three children one was a wolf and another one was a snake also know as the world snake and the last one was a half dead women. I also learned about other gods that i didn't know. over all it was a pretty good book.
TeamValdez
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloody Brilliant
Dedmanshootn dedmanshootn
MUCH prefer the olds stories and sagas. this just didn't have the northmen epic harsh feel.
Michael Lent
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Whimsical art and narrative that captures the capricious nature of the Norse gods.

On a down note, the females are all depicted as either interchangeable but demanding babes or hags.
Maire
Dec 11, 2019 added it
while some of the stories are different from the original myths it's still interesting and beautifully drawn
Rebekah Palmer
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised to learn so much background on the origin Norse mythology.
Ian Sharpe
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
An accessible take on the tales, simple without being breathtaking. I'd have enjoyed more full page panels and more breathing space between dialogue to build the atmosphere.
s.m. lechon
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is really charming and easy to understand and does a good job of putting things in a specific "order," but does miss several points in some myths.

I know it's a comic, but the women all looking exactly the same was a little off-putting. However, it was somewhat mitigated by the hilarity of Loki looking like a normal person but having claw feet.
Erin Rose
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute, entertaining, but requires a little knowledge of the Norse gods to fully understand it. I think I would’ve found it easier to follow if it had been in color.
Audrey Custer
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Explore the myths of the Northern European peoples without having to crack open ONE dusty old book. This graphic novel displays them in an action-packed easy-to-read way that will appeal to younger readers.
I believe that it has a couple of flaws, but only one affects my overall rating.
The #1 reason that this graphic novel lost a star? The women in this comic are painfully thin with huge breasts (no different from any other comic, unfortunately)...I was hoping for a more truthful display of Nord
Silas
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introduction to Norse mythology that is very true to the source material, though at times somewhat lacking in nuance. Personally, I would expect that in a graphic novel adaptation of a myth, but if you enjoy this, it might be worth checking out the original Eddas and Sagas, since in addition to more detail, there are a number of other stories that do not appear here. Just the same, this covers the stories that are most often talked about, and give you a good start learning a ...more
Collin
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
Cool little graphic novelization of the Norse myths. The art was reeally fun, and the stories were awesome, too. I liked the way they were set up.

Still, it wasn't perfect, and I think some of the details may have been a tad un-mythological. I can forgive that, though. It's just a quick romp through well-known legends - good for those who know what's going on.
Chris
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great illustrated interpretation of the Norse myths... and no, I'm not just saying this because I know the author/artist and he's a fellow comic book creator. It takes some of the odder myths and makes them fit in right alongside the most grandiose ones, all in a slightly cartoonish but no-less-serious art style that is perfect for the material.
Coa
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
interesting way to get acquainted with the myths and stories without having to read pages and pages about things you forget in the end.. I think the writer captured the personalities of the gods and heroes quite well, too!
Samra
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Norse myth lovers, Norse Pagans
Recommended to Samra by: Angelique
really perfect on how the Norse lineup is shown here. The stories are well-done. You should own this if you have interested in Norse mythology, or you are Norse Pagan/Asatru
Mrs Mallott
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant introduction to Norse mythology!
Marcus
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, I never realized how dickish the Norse Gods can be.

Well researched.
Maria
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: classic comic and norse mythology lovers
Beautiful drawings and a good way to be reminded of the myths.

I'm happy to have this book in my collection, even though it isn't written in my mother tongue and I'm not a comic person normally.
Ana
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a Norse Pagan with a very small attention span, it really helped me get a basic idea of the Gods and their stories. I was a very interesting read that I will highly recommend!
Esther
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Could been longer chapters but all was very entertaining, loved the drawing and a great insight on the adventure of Thor and other gods.
Nielian
Eric Schultz
Aug 28, 2019
Elspeth
Oct 23, 2015
Wendy (1/2 of Bookish Moms)
Jun 09, 2015
Mr
Jun 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Little Brother (Little Brother, #1)
  • Split Tooth
  • Shampoo Planet
  • Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9)
  • Naked Came the Leaf Peeper
  • Life After God
  • Programming Computer Vision with Python: Tools and algorithms for analyzing images
  • Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid
  • Mirror Mirror
  • Songs of the Doomed: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream
  • Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1)
  • The Jewel in the Skull (History of the Runestaff #1)
  • Swords in the Mist
  • The Swords Trilogy (Corum, #1-3)
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #2)
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 3
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 2
  • The Walking Dead, Compendium 1
Erik A. Evensen is an award-winning designer, illustrator, graphic novelist, and educator. His work has received accolades from Graphic Design USA, Ain't It Cool News, Nerdist.com, Geeks of Doom, and the Next Generation Indie Book Awards. Erik is the author/illustrator of the graphic novels "Gods of Asgard" and The Beast of Wolfe's Bay," and the 2003 web comic, "Erik's Sketchbook Diary." With Jame ...more

News & Interviews