Start by marking “Fall From Grace (David Raker #5)” as Want to Read:
Fall From Grace (David Raker #5)

Fall From Grace

(David Raker #5)

No Goodbye

When Leonard Franks and his wife, Ellie, leave London for their dream retirement in the seclusion of Dartmoor, everything seems perfect. But then their new life is shattered. Leonard heads outside to fetch firewood from the back of the house - and never returns.

No Trace

Nine months later, with the police investigation at a dead end, Leonard's family turn to David
Published August 14th 2014 by Penguin

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was the first book in the David Raker series I have read and it was very easy to read as a stand alone novel. Tim Weaver writes impeccably with a wonderful grasp of what the reader wants in my opinion. A very good plot that twists and turns wonderfully adds to what is good in this book.

When Leonard Franks and his wife Ellie leave the clamor of London for a dream retirement on the seclusion of Dartmoor, everything seems perfect. But then the dream shatters. Late on a January afternoon, only
Liz Barnsley
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So here we are then, outing no 5 for David Raker and I have to say this is most definitely one of my favourite series. I’ve found every single one more addictive than the last (even though I read books 1 and 2 in the wrong order!) and I pretty much read this instalment in two sittings. It is definitely all Mr Weaver’s fault that I am bleary eyed and sleepy this morning…

This time David is caught up in the vortex of a complicated and far reaching case when he is asked to track down Leonard Franks
Christine
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-crime-2014
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my copy of this book.

David Raker is a private investigator. He is charged with looking for a man, who just vanished from his remote home on Dartmoor, one evening. Leonard Franks was a high-ranking police officer in the Met, who retired. Suddenly it becomes clear that Franks had his secrets. This is a complex case for David, in which he encounters danger, violence and intrigue.

I just LOVE this series. It is dark, intelligent and amazing to read. Every w
Merve
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeni Kitapla geldim size, annem alır almaz okudu ve övdü de övdü hooş Tim Weaver'ı biliyoruz şahane bir yazar ve sanırım ailecek hayranıyız.. Bu kitabında David öyle bir dosya alıyor ki yom yok içinde.
Bu sefer David'e dosyayı getiren bir önceki kitaplardan hatırlayacağımız Healy'nin de komiseri olan Melanie Craw.
Craw'ın babası odun almaya odunluğa gidiyor ve saniyeler içinde adamla tuzla buz oluyor ne gören var ne duyan.
David araştırmaya başlıyor ama bu sefer hiçbir ipucu olmadan, aramaları he
Rob
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Update: Full review.

Probably a 3.5

Weaver has slightly moved away from his gritty, intense and terrifying previous stuff, and this novel probably delves less into Raker than any of the other novels. But I still really enjoyed it, and it was always going to be difficult to follow Never Coming Back.

I'm very excited to get started with What Remains and to see what the ending of this book means for the next.
Míša Rubášová
Neexistuje, aby tento autor zklamal!
Book Addict Shaun
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Wow. This book has left me reeling and in a state of shock. I write reviews straight after finishing a book when my thoughts are fresh. To say I was excited for this book would be somewhat of an understatement, it was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it did not disappoint! It is Tim Weaver's best book yet. It is also my Book of the Month for August (and it's only the 10th as I write this) and after reading 120+ books this year it is in my top three. At almost 600 pages I would us ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fall From Grace is the fifth book in Tim Weaver's David Raker series. But it can certainly be read as a stand alone.

Who is Raker? Well, his background is in journalism, but he has since set himself up as private missing persons investigator.

Leonard Franks retires from the Metropolitan Police and heads to Dartmoor to spend his retirement years with his wife in the country. Until the day he goes out to get firewood and disappears. Not a trace of him, despite a police investigation. After nearly a
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fall from Grace is another brilliant David Raker novel. In fact, it’s my second favourite in the series – second only to Vanished.

In this book, following the life changing events of Never Coming Back, David returns back to his life in London where he returns to his job. Upon returning to his job, however, he did not ever imagine he would be working a job for people from his past, least of all a member of the police force. Through being approached by a police officer who was originally against h
Linda Lpp
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great convoluted mystery, which leaves you guessing until the end. My second David Raker book by Tim Weaver and I am already looking for another to read.
Robyn
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was decent. There was a genuine puzzle to the whole scheme and I appreciate the mental aspect of the plot and being a part of Raker's internal dialogue.

Buuuttt the ending kind of killed it for me. By the end, it just wasn't believable to me. What always gets me about these books is that the killer at the end always for some reason feels the need to explain himself. And it is always in some overly emotional and irrational motive that seems too unrelated to the victim's disappearance or
Miriam Städtler
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story was mainly advanced by people hunting the very unlikable hero. Everything and everyone is miserable and all who are not, will be by the end. It is all rather drab and dreary. Coincident and luck are instead the watch words of the day. There is virtually no intellect involved from beginning to end. Also, personal pet peeve, even the most unlikely females make doe eyes at the 'hero' by the end. My biggest problem was though, that I genuinely didn't care for any of the characters involved ...more
adrianna_czyta
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Już od dłuższego czasu nie miałam okazji czytać książki tego kalibru. Nieświadoma, iż jest to piąty z kolei tom przygód Davida Rakera, sięgnęłam po nią z myślą, że dostanę powieść grozy. Zaskoczeniom nie było końca, gdy ze strony na stronę okazywało się, że jest to kryminał, a co więcej – bardzo dobry kryminał! Nieznajomość poprzednich książek z serii w niczym nie przeszkodziła, wręcz przeciwnie, przekonała mnie do sięgnięcia po pozostałe tomy z serii przygód detektywa Rakera.

Świat przedstawiony
Miłośniczka Książek
"Gorąco polecam waszej uwadze „Bardzo złe miejsce”. Jeśli jesteście miłośnikami powieści kryminalnych bądź thrillerów, historii, w których nie brak napięcia, poczucia niepokoju, atmosfery mroku, kłamstw i intryg, to dzieło Tima Weavera z pewnością się wam spodoba. Ze swojej strony – polecam, bo naprawdę warto!"

Szerzej na temat książki: http://magicznyswiatksiazki.pl/bardzo...
Rhonda
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second Tim Weaver book I have read and again I loved it - twists right up until the end again - one of those books that makes you gasp out loud!!
Renee
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, the first novel I’ve read by Tim Weaver and will definitely seek out more of his books. A fabulous detective novel which drew me in from page one and kept me captured all the way through and with a really good twist near the end. Highly recommended if you enjoy detective novels or as a holiday read.
Karen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Wow, this installment in the David Raker series really knocked my socks off! Twists and turns, mistakes and strange happenings, all come together in a surprise (for me) ending. I have not been the least disappointed in any of the books in this series.
Tiger
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tremendous..............loved it...............each book in this series just keeps getting better.
Robin
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a thriller with an interesting premise. A retired detective, Leonard Franks, goes out to grab some firewood at the remote cottage he shares with his wife in Dorset – and disappears.

His daughter approaches David Raker – this is the hero's fifth outing – to find her missing and much revered dad.

The narrative is intriguing to begin with, if a little plodding, as Raker spends a lot of time going through papers and records. However, my main problem with the story is that as it reaches its fi
Rienk
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read NEVER COMING BACK last year and was really impressed. How could a voice this strong not be on my radar until the fourth book? Looking back it was easy to see why - the first 3 covers were hideous (Penguin since repackaged them) and on the surface the subject matter seemed almost too British. But the first book I read of him felt like discovering Lee Child's KILLING FLOOR: here is a writer who is really applying himself and getting better with each book. He is the same kind of gold from Br ...more
Stefanie Geryk
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ja si rikala, proc ma kniha jeste dalsich padesat stranek...
Kazdopadne - pribeh uzasny, neskutecne ctiby, i kdyz je to bichle, co ma pres 500 stran! Do detektiva Rakkera jsem se zblaznila :) Takovych odvazlivcu s nadprumernym iq a nasazenim by to chtelo vic! Ale i presto me Weaver v nekolika ohledech zklamal. Cekala jsem vetsi byrokracii... I kdyz zamotane to bylo nakonec dost. A pak tu byl ten konec... Ten za vlasy pritazeny konec, ktery mi zkazil veskere me predstavy! Vazne, kdyby si autor t
Dominika
Leonard Franks, darzony powszechnym szacunkiem i sympatią policjant zajmujący się sprawami zabójstw, po długiej i owocnej karierze przechodzi na emeryturę i przeprowadza się wraz z żoną do oddalonego od zabudowań domu na wrzosowiskach. Idylla małżeństwa nie trwa jednak długo. Pewnego dnia Leonard wychodzi do szopy po drewno do kominka i nigdy nie wraca.

Dziewięć miesięcy później, gdy policyjne śledztwo zamiera w martwym punkcie, córka Leonarda zwraca się z prośbą o pomoc do Davida Rakera, specjal
Alex
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another gripping thriller in the Raker series - and I really enjoyed all the twisted and complex turns of some of the other characters, probably more so than in previous Raker books. For me the sign of a really good book is when you go to bed early to have more reading time (yes, I'm that sad). This is definitely one of those books. I would've liked a bit more of the Annabel/David relationship though... something to build on hopefully.
Jenny Blackhurst
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-and-read
Tim Weaver is a writer I've only just had the pleasure of discovering, and his Raker series only gets better. Full of suspense this book will leave you dying to know not only what happens in the mystery (which is very well wrapped up) but in Raker's life also
Hilary Browning
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Slow start but when it gets going there is no putting it down...
Gill Chivas
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've loved this series of books and having read all 5 one after another I'm gutted I now have to wait for book 6! As always this kept me guessing right to the end.
Morena
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I really like this author's writing style!
John Marsh
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gloria Feit
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
David Raker, finder of missing persons, is asked to locate Leonard Franks, a retired 35-year veteran who headed the Met’s murder squad, and had disappeared seven months before without a trace in a variation of the locked room mystery. His investigation becomes more complicated than just finding out what happened after Franks stepped out from his living room to gather a few logs from the woodshed. When he didn’t return, his wife went out to look for him and couldn’t find a trace: no tracks in the ...more
Sivvy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. While I really enjoy this series, there’s a definite pattern emerging. Start with a gripping missing person-based mystery and all its related human interest aspects. Add in David Raker operating outside the law to investigate what happened. So far, so good. Then throw in a couple of implausible gunfights/ car chases/ other perilous scenes in which our hero suffers horrendous injuries but somehow manages to bounce back in no time. And top it off with the antagonist carefully and meticu ...more
  • The Unquiet Grave (Damen Brook, #4)
  • Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller, #2)
  • The Sea Detective
  • The Flight (Jenny Cooper, #4)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3; Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Preacher
  • The Kinfolk Entrepreneur: Ideas for Meaningful Work
  • Streets of Darkness (Harry Virdee, #1)
  • Stranded
  • Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
  • Wrong Time, Wrong Place
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • The Cross (Eddie Flynn #0.5)
  • In Every Way That Matters
  • On the Up
  • Don't Be a Wimp Raise a Strong Leader: Parenting Strategies from Conception to Late Adulthood
  • No Love Lost
Tim Weaver is the bestselling author of the David Raker missing persons series. His fourth novel, Never Coming Back, was selected for the Richard and Judy Book Club, and his work has been nominated for a National Book Award. A former journalist and magazine editor, he lives near Bath with his wife and daughter. Find out more about Tim and his writing at www.timweaverbooks.com.

David Raker (9 books)
  • Chasing the Dead (David Raker, #1)
  • The Dead Tracks (David Raker, #2)
  • Vanished (David Raker, #3)
  • Never Coming Back (David Raker, #4)
  • What Remains  (David Raker, #6)
  • Broken Heart (David Raker, #7)
  • I Am Missing (David Raker, #8)
  • You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)