Start by marking “Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story” as Want to Read:
Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story

Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story

(Will Grayson, Will Grayson #2)

It’s Tiny Cooper’s turn in the spotlight in this companion novel to New York Times bestseller Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Jazz hands at the ready! Tiny Cooper (“the world’s largest person who is also really, really gay”) stole readers’ hearts when he was introduced to the world in the New York Times bestselling book Will Grayson, Will Grayson, co-authored by John Green a
Published March 17th 2015 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Hold Me Closer, please sign up.
Taryn Martin I think it would be better to read "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" first because then you be able to get know Tiny and what the musical is about.
Janice It is not a novel like Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It reads like a Musical Theatre script. Some of the characters from Will Grayson, Will Grayson have…moreIt is not a novel like Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It reads like a Musical Theatre script. Some of the characters from Will Grayson, Will Grayson have cameos in the book, but it is Tiny's story, told from his own perspective. It is fun, quick read. If you like Will Grayson, Will Grayson, you will likely enjoy this as well.(less)

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“HOLD ME CLOSER, TONY DAAAAAANZA” . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Come on! Don’t tell me you didn’t see this title and get that tune stuck in your head too.

First things first: If you have not yet read Will Grayson, Will Grayson this book will make zeros of sense to you. Do yourself a favor and check out the magic that is a Green/Levithan combo.

If you have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson you should already be in love with Tiny Cooper . . .

Houston commercial photography

This is his story
Mary S. R.
4 SWEET STARS! outrageously cheesy and glorious; magnificently sparkling and musical (♪); cutely YA, heartwarming, and gay :)
Such kissing on the catwalks!
Such competition for the leads!
We fell in love so often and fully—
across all races and sexualities and creeds!
Tiny himself starts the introduction like this, and I'm gonna steal it for a moment:

“People who don’t understand musical theater tend to think of it as being unrealistic. I disagree. Because what is life if not a series of loud and qu
Dharma
Jan 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
THIS IS A THING?! OH MY! I NEED THIS!!!!!!!
Beth
We know him. We love him. Tiny Cooper is back.

Remember Will Grayson, Will Grayson? Yeah. That Tiny Cooper.

In Hold Me Closer, readers get to experience the musical of Cooper's life that he put on at his high school in Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

At first I thought that Hold Me Closer was going to be a bit of a farce -- not very serious and full of nothing but fluff. But I never should have doubted David Levithan. And the fact of the matter is, this is now my favorite Levithan novel to-date. It is
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Text Publishing for review.

I’m just going to be upfront about this: I was disappointed in Hold Me Closer. And this makes me really sad. I mean it’s TINY COOPER in musical form. But I just wasn’t feeling it. And I’m pretty sure it was because of this: there was no emotional connection for me.

Don’ get me wrong, I feel an emotional connection to Tiny, but only through Will Grayson, Will Grayson . If I hadn’t read WG, WG before Hold Me Closer I would not have fe
Larry H
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson , by John Green and David Levithan, was one of the best books I read in 2010, and years later, it remains one of my favorites.

That book, populated by two very different high school students, both named Will Grayson. One Will Grayson's best friend, "Tiny" Cooper, who isn't shy about his size or his sexuality, and tries to push Will to declare his feelings for his best friend, Jane, all while Tiny is getting ready to produce his autobiographical
Bárbara
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't really concerned about whether I would like this book: I loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson, I love David Levithan's writing, and I love Tiny Cooper.

This book was incredibly cute. It was hilarious. And it was really emotional and deep. I loved it. Some of the elements were very relatable,and the ones that were more specific, were just so beautifully laid out that the empathy they caused made the experience richer.

Some parts tug hard on the readers' heartstrings, and there's potential fo
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
Utterly fabulous, this gorgeous storyline is told in the form of a Broadway musical script, with none other than Tiny Cooper as the star. His larger than life sense of fun jumps off the page and leaves the reader feeling joyful and entertained. I loved the format, something I haven't seen in young adult before.

The thing about a spotlight is that you have to step into it. You have to get onto that stage. I haven't been ready for a lot of things, but from e
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe it's because I've seen several Broadway shows recently but ahhh I WAS SUPER INTO THIS MUSICAL. Tiny is so witty and so wonderful and the songs are so point. I could really envision the production and performances and I WAS PRETTY MUCH SINGING THE BOOK IN MY HEAD. THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN TO READ!!!
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
This is truly everything you could have ever hoped for. A wonderfully extravagant and emotional musical experience.

With Tiny's emphatic lyrics and thoughtful asides, David Levithan makes Tiny Cooper even bigger and brighter than life.

Full review on TheYoungFolks.com: http://wp.me/p5gXzl-dmX
Billie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fuck, yeah, Tiny Cooper! Everyone's favorite character from 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' finally gets his solo in the spotlight and it is magnificent. I want Hold Me Closer, the musical, to become a staple in the high school musical theatre repertoire, because as much as I loved reading it, I am absolutely gasping to see it performed live. Make this happen now, high school theatre directors!
Suraya (thesuraya)
this feels like reading the literature textbook back in high school. (thats the only coherent thing u can get outta me now lol) i read this in an hour anyway, fyi.
Aylee
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can also read this review on my blog here

In short: Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan is a brilliant musical script that would be highly entertaining as a musical theatre performance.

If you've read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan then odds are, you fell in love with Tiny Cooper. The not-so-tiny Tiny Cooper is the link between the two Will Graysons of the novel and acts as a bit of a life coach for the two Wills as they struggle to find their t
Claudia
Tiny, the huge, gay, football player from WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON, is back. He has rewritten his life as a musical comedy. And it's a hit.

Tiny's voice is here...clever, knowing...creative. The musical comedy allusions had me in stitches.

Hold me closer tells Tiny's story, from his birth and his parents' complete acceptance and devotion, to his struggle for friends, and his search for the one.

The whole story is told through musical numbers...with choreography by Tiny. Words by Tiny, music by
Josefine May
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I haven't read "Will Grayson Will Grayson" I still understood the story. Of course there were moments where the author hinted at something from that book, but it wasn't like I couldn't follow the story. I really liked the characters - especially Tiny - the way it was written (which was very unique, I've never read anything like it) and of course the story. It's a very quick read and even though there isn't much text on the pages, you still end up getting a full story and an amazing e ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Poshdeluxe
Cover Story: Fabulous
BFF Charm: Extra Sparkly Platinum
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: The Script
Bonus Factors: LGBTQ, Musical
Relationship Status: Season Ticket Holder

Read the full book report here.
Monica Edinger
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to SEE and HEAR this now! Fabulous.
Olga
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was original, funny, and it made me laugh and smile a lot. I love Tiny Cooper so much and I will always love all of the characters in these amazing books. :) <3
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was shorter than I'd hoped (because Tiny Cooper was my favourite character in Will Grayson Will Grayson) but it was EXCELLENT. Basically, it's the screenplay of the Tiny Cooper Story that Tiny wrote in Will Grayson Will Grayson. It's fabulous.
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"It might feel like the end of the world--
but it's the beginning of your art."

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

As I was opening presents this morning, and found this lovely musical/book I vowed to not read it until I was done with Steelheart.

Whoops. I failed.

This book was the perfect book to read on Christmas. It was short, deep (for a book covered in glitter and written as a musical,) laugh out loud funny at times, and filled to the brim with references to plenty of musicals and other things of thea
Caroline
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I absolutely loved Tiny Cooper when I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson, so I was so excited for this novelization of Tiny's musical to come out.
I wasn't disappointed. I read this book in about 2 hours – because it is a play, the reading goes very quickly – but I was laughing *out loud* pretty much the entire time. Tiny is larger than life and hilarious, and this play shows the events from Will Grayson, Will Grayson from his POV, which was intersting. It is also a musical, and a super fun one at
Edie
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A script for a musical, a narrative of "coming out" and growing comfortable with who you are,this is a book I couldn't put out down as I experienced Tony's growing up, being gay, singing and dancing through heartbreak and joy. The stage directions and references to movies,plays, etc. add to the full experience of this book so you are agreeing with the dramatist/producer/director as you are agreeing with Tiny who won't settle for second best in love or anything else. I loved all the characters, e ...more
Jax
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, young-adult
I might enjoy this musical live in person, but as a reading experience it wasn’t totally satisfying. I loved Tiny in Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I was so looking forward to more of him, but I didn’t feel the same kind of emotional connection from this and we really don’t learn much new. I enjoyed some of the clever lyrics and Tiny’s stage directions, but I would’ve rather read a real novel.

BookChic Club
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing, as are all of David's books. A quick read, but extremely insightful, funny and all-around awesome. I also believe that, aside from his loudness and flamboyancy, Tiny and I are pretty much the same person, lol- there were so many times throughout the book when I was nodding my head in agreement and feeling the same way he feels with some of the boys he's dating. Anyway, such a good book and now I feel like I must re-read Will Grayson, Will Grayson again to get more of Tiny and to ...more
~temera  makeeta~
'look forward to the moment when you must rearrange your heart, it might feel like the end of the world but it's the beginning of your art'

oh I'm so glad this book exists! Tiny Cooper is one of the most unique people I've ever come across in a book. this, novella I guess, was so much fun to read!
Wilona
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
ALL HAIL TINY COOPER.
This musical script was perfect. So brilliant.
I was laughing throughout the whole thing and oh my god, can we talk about the cover of the book though? Seriously. How fucking fabulous - just like Tiny himself. I would recommend this to all of you who have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I mean it is the companion book.
Jami Sailor
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoy when David leviathan is co-author because people like Rachel Cohn and John Green can reel in from going way overboard, like he does here. David Levithan just needs someone to tell him "no" every once in awhile.

Too gimmicky.
Sam
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This turned out to be the perfect read considering today's historical event in the US (keep in mind, Canada has had equality for marriage for over ten years!) but just wonderfully appropriate. If this ever becomes a real musical, I'll be first in line!
Kacey
I finished this in one sitting! I really enjoyed it but I didn't enjoy it as much as Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Overall I love Tiny Cooper's character and this musical was super fun to read.
Chloe  Bright
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, plays
I don't remember much of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, but I do remember loving Tiny Cooper.
That being said, this book/play was really entertaining. Tiny is so lovable and if he was a real person I would absolutely want to be his friend.
The only minor problems I had with this was that I didn't understand 90% of the references to musicals that he made because I'm uncultured and sometimes the lyrics were a little corny. But other than that, it was great fun. Love Tiny. A king.

• Jack & Louisa: Act 1
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever, #2)
  • Marco Impossible
  • Turn the World Upside Down
  • Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition
  • DJ Rising
  • Wise Young Fool
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • Lane’s (Life According to Maps #3)
  • The Alex Crow
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • Collide
  • Night Swimming
  • Devil's Honey
  • Playing a Part
  • I Am Out With Lanterns
  • Flying Tips for Flightless Birds
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (2 books)
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson
“Don't get trapped into thinking people are halves instead of wholes.” 24 likes
“Fade to black. Or whatever color you like. If you can find a way to fade to pink or purple, please do.” 17 likes