Start by marking “The New Calvinists” as Want to Read:
The New Calvinists

The New Calvinists

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Enmity between the church and the world dates from the Fall of man, so God says in Genesis 3.15. Satan's major strategy is the overthrow of the church by the world, through infiltration and contamination.

But seldom has this battle reached the proportions of this present hour, when worldliness threatens every believer and church.

This book reveals the new 'gospel' of the so-
Published March 1st 2014 by Wakeman Trust / Belmont House

To ask other readers questions about The New Calvinists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Calvinists

liked it 3.00  ·

David Couch
May 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
As an evangelical Christian, living in England, and after hearing JD Hall recently recommend this book, and seeing that it was about the UK church, I was eager to open it and see what it said.

I'll give a playback of my thoughts as I worked through the short book. I apologize if I come across biased or angry - I tried to be fair and unbiased (but really struggled):

Firstly, the introduction was very well written, and a challenge to the resurgence of Calvinism in the world as a whole. It truly has
Todd Wilhelm
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The author reviews New Calvinism through critique of Tim Keller, John Piper and Mark Driscoll. Then he proceeds to show the inroads the movement has made in the UK. He raises some valid criticisms, but the book is laced with criticism of the worldly music and dress styles which, in my opinion, detract from his valid criticisms. The music he criticizes as worldly is simply contemporary music such as the kind written by the Gettys, Stuart Townend, Steve and Vicki Cook and Bob Kauflin. Basically it ...more
John Waldrip
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Remarkable little book by a prolific writer on trends in Christianity. Though he does not use the term the writer describes the development of what he terms as new Calvinism as "turning the grace of the God into lasciviousness." Though written from a decidedly UK perspective, the incisive and well-documented book correctly links popular evangelical leaders with easily identified and unscriptural trends: "The great folly and heresy of New Calvinism is that it has made no attempt to separate from ...more
mike choate
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sobering view of the "New Calvinism".

This is an eye opening critique and thoughts to consider in "The New Calvinism" movement in the US and the UK. This author has thoughtfully exposed the apparent worldliness of this movement and it's corrosive teachings, with special emphasis on the key leaders promoting and endorsing this dangerous threat within the Church.
Nick Dyer
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a waste... I was really excited to read this book until I started reading it. It's an entire 69 pages of what (the author believes) other guys are doing wrong.... Really??? Wake up and look at the world around you.... Unity in the Christian church is what we need. Build up and stop tearing each other down, for the sake of the church!
Gary Cousins
Oct 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
As expected
Bob Bingham
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This slim book is not meant to be a comprehensive analysis of "New Calvinism", but more of a "warning to the churches". It is now 3 years old, so one of the three major players mentioned (Mark Driscoll) has already been discredited and dropped off the radar, so to speak. The criticisms of the teaching of Tim Keller and John Piper are valid and worth serious consideration. Generally speaking, the more popular some preacher becomes, and the more books, conferences, and seminars promoting said prea ...more
Радостин Марчев
В интерес на истината не успях да се насиля да стигна до края. Самият аз в никакъв случай не симпатизирам на "новия калвинизъм", но ако ще правим такава критика по-добре да не критикуваме въобще.
Andrew Sinkamba
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The New Calvinism movement is something that I was not aware existed especially in Africa, until recently when my church began to ask whether to side with New Calvinism or stick with the Traditional Reformed Calvinism of Old and as enshrined in the 1689 Baptist Confessions of Faith, which providentially is being considered as a church.

I must admit E.S Williams in this small volume takes a hard line against New Calvinism and it's proponents. Any reader of this book will find the book rather dist
Matt
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An eye opening book about the errors and compromises of New Calvinism.
Patti Greene
Jun 19, 2018
Nathan Iuoras
Jan 30, 2019
1 follower
Dr E S Williams was Director of Public Health for Croydon Health Authority for many years. He is the author of 'The Dark Side of Christian Counselling', 'Christ or Therapy?' and numerous research papers in medical journals.