Start by marking “Pig the Pug” as Want to Read:
Pig the Pug

Pig the Pug

(Pig the Pug #1)

"Pig was a Pug and I'm sorry to say, he was greedy and selfish in most every way."

Pig is the greediest Pug in the world. He is ill-tempered, rude and unreasonable. When Pig the Pug is asked to share his toys, something unexpected happens. Hopefully Pig has learned a lesson!

For ages 5-9
Published July 1st 2014 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Pig the Pug, please sign up.
Mikayla his name is pig the pug (as it says in the title)
Mikayla I like how he is a pug and he also love food so basically he is me! (lol)

Mischenko
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see this review as well as this week's favorite children's books please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Pig the Pug is a children's book about a pug named Pig. Pig is very selfish and wants to keep all of his stuff to himself. He just won't share with his house friend, Trevor. Trevor's really nice to him and just wants to play with him, but Pig won't yield. Follow along in the story to see if Pig can learn to finally share.

What makes this book so good is the illustrations of Pig. You get an
Kate
I don't know what this book is about because I was too busy laughing at the illustrations.

bleauuuuuuuauaaaahhh
Andrew
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked: nothing really...Pig's a pretty unlikeable character.
she liked: learning the phrase "Mine, go away!!!"
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A sweet story about sharing - it's more fun to share and be with our friends, than to pile them up all for ourselves, to 'have' not to 'use'. Silly little pug stockpiled his goodies, and even tumbled over and hurt himself. His friend convinced him to share and have fun! Indy thought this was cute.
Josiah
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Aaron Blabey's Pig the Pug is a breath of fresh air. The crisp, colorful illustrations, rhythmic meter, and unpredictable humor are loved even by older kids than usually gravitate to picture books. The new take on the lesson of sharing serves as memorable reminder that hoarding good things typically doesn't end well. Pig might be selfish, but he's cute, and his bug-eyed horror at the thought of sharing with another dog is comical and easy for young readers to identify with.

Pig is a chubby littl
Abigail
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Badly-Behaved Young Children
"Pig was a pug / and I'm sorry to say, / he was greedy and selfish / in most every way." And so begins the rhyming narrative of Pig the Pug, an amusing Australian picture-book featuring two very different dogs: the eponymous Pig, a selfish pug who refuses to share, and the goodhearted Trevor, a dachshund who tries his best to befriend his canine companion. Pig resists all overtures until an accident teaches him differently... or does it?

Originally published in Australia in 2014, and just now (Ja
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I'm not the biggest fan of rhyming picture books, I know, BLASPHEMY! However, the illustrations in this book completely won me over. Now, I've run into other books by Aaron Blabey, "The Bad Guys" was a SSYRA* selection this year. The library system I work in ordered it because of that and I got my first exposure to his books.
(*Sunshine State Young Readers Award, for the curious)

Apparently, Aaron Blabey enjoys more popularity in Australia, but, I think we're slowly catching up here in the US. My
Steve Holden
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for dog anything - and a picture book with fantastic illustrations is a pretty sure bet! This one is hilarious to just look through. Pig is a pretty rough character - he's a pug who happens to be greedy and selfish. He's not someone you want to model your character after. I feel the story gets this across. It does promote some good things while also making one laugh from just looking at the illustrations of Pig the Pug!
Stephanie
So, so funny! This might just be my new favorite kid's book! I picked this up at the library because I absolutely love Pugs and my son is a dog lover. GREAT choice!

Pig is a rude pug who doesn't want to share his toys with another dog. The whole story has a wonderful rhyming scheme and the illustrations are playful and silly. I love Pig's attitude, facial expressions, and dialogue, and the lesson he eventually learns about sharing with friends.

The first time we read it, I was laughing out loud, a
EclispeWolf
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so super funny and amazing!! The book is about two dogs, one of the dogs names was Trevor and he wants Pig to share his toys but Pig refuses to share. I will let you figure out the rest of the story when you get this amazing book!!!
Guy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favourite picture book.

The illustrations were hilarious - you should feel bad if you didn't laugh!

This brought out the inner 5 year old inside me....
Miss Kate Reads
I hope more of his books start getting published here in the US.
Megan Schmelzer
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

A sign of a great series is that it can be read and loved by all ages, from young children all the way to grown adults. Aaron Blabey’s Pig the Pug books is just this type of beloved series, and I have no doubt that it will someday join some of the greatest childhood classics, such as the Clifford and Curious George Series.

I have put this book to the test. In my adventure to truly test the vivaciousness of Pig, the greedy Pug, and all t
Catherine
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, I loved this book. Personally, I'm a dog person so naturally I was drawn to it. Once I read the book, I knew I had to purchase it. The illustrations are hilarious and very detailed. It is a very simple read and had a rhyme scheme. The point of the book is to teach sharing to the readers. I thought the author did a great job teaching readers how to share in a humorous way. This is a great book for young kids. It would even be good for children that are getting a new sibling who aren ...more
Becky
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
First sentence: Pig was a pug and I'm sorry to say, he was greedy and selfish in most every way.

Premise/plot: Pig is a selfish, greedy dog who often gets REALLY, REALLY, REALLY upset with the other dog of the house, Trevor. Trevor seems to be a happy-get-along-with-everybody dog. Essentially, Trevor and Pig are complete opposites. One day his selfishness leads him into big trouble....

My thoughts: I didn't like this one very much. The rhyming worked for me for the most part. But the story itself
Magpie67
Read to Trevor since he brought me the title to read to him. Pig the pug doesn't want to share any of his toys but Trevor the wiener dog wants to play with him. Pig doesn't agree and piles all his toys up into a mountain and climbs it only to have it collapse and he rolls out the window. Poor Pig is not encased in a cast so he has to share his toys with Trevor. Cute book and a good one to help children realize that sharing is nice.
Ene Sepp
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Väga lahedad illustratsioonid ja mõnus (üli)lühike lugu. Muidugi kui oled mopside fänn, siis ei ole see raamat vast päris õige aga kuna mulle mopsid ei meeldi, siis oli see lugu vägagi sobiv. Lastega lugemisel on hea arutada ka teemat, et kas ja kuidas peaks oma mänguasju jagama ning nentida, et mopsid kohe tõesti ei oska lennata...
Linnea
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Okay, I'm not counting this toward my reading challenge but I had to review it because this may be the funniest picture book I've ever seen. My friend and I were actually doubled over laughing while reading this in Barnes and Noble. The illustrations. The plot twist. The emotional rollercoaster. All perfect and hilarious.
Lauren
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this one! Boys got it for Christmas and they enjoyed it!
Brenda Kahn
Hilariously over-the-top! Pig the pug is so obnoxious, kids will get a kick out of outrageous behavior.
Dawn
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2018
I loved this book! The illustrations were fabulous and the story line is one kids can related to. This is a great mentor text to discuss selfishness.
Melissa Charlton
My review might be a little biased based on the fact that I am a HUGE Pug lover (right behind Bulldogs). This story was just the cutest and my students thought it was hilarious as well :)
Amber
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was a hit with the young ones during story time.
Joshua Gross
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this book at all, but it is very funny and cute. That dog had some hilarious facial expressions
Molly
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was cute. Recommended by a 6 year old.
Lori Mitchell
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a favorite at our house, my granddaughter loves the story and quickly learned several phrases that she says as she turns the pages. The illustrations are hilarious and it's fun to read, definitely a must have for kids!
Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hahaha, love Pig the Pug!
Pig the Pug is selfish and unkind but he learns to be unselfish and kind when circumstances become beyond his control. So funny!
Kayla Edwards
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This one is a nope for me. There are no redeeming qualities for Pig. He never appears to feel regret for acting in such a selfish manner and so no lesson is learned. Kind of a let down after a promising start.
 Creative Kids Tales
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
''Pig was a Pug and I'm sorry to say,
he was greedy and selfish in most every way.''

I'm a sucker for a good dog story, particularly a hilarious one like Pig the Pug by award-winning author / illustrator, Aaron Blabey. With a front cover that creates a lasting impression; a bulgy eyed, flat nosed pug that is so ugly that it's really quite adorable, you just can't resist!

In true toddler tantrum-style behaviour, Pig the Pug blatantly refuses to share his food and toys with friendly sausage dog, Trev
Lib
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first read out aloud in the library book. I read this for year 2 students as part of their library visit of community workers. I wore my multi focal glasses and found the words blurring. I read after the library officer and was applauded and given a huge hug by one boy as he liked my reading. The story lends itself to voices and is a story about sharing and friendships. Has great illustrations and is a book that can be read to children up to grade 4.
  • The Wrong Book
  • The Last King of Angkor Wat
  • Good Morning to Me!
  • Sad, the Dog
  • Norman, Speak!
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an

Pig the Pug (7 books)
  • Pig the Fibber
  • Pig the Winner
  • Pig the Elf
  • Pig the Star
  • Pig the Grub
  • Pig the Stinker (Pig the Pug)