Start by marking “Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality” as Want to Read:
Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality

Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality

This comprehensive guide for new parents finding themselves overwhelmed dealing with the reality of parenting provides "parent-tested, pediatrician-approved" advice to allay their fears. Written in a compassionate yet authoritative tone by two moms who are also pediatricians, this guide covers a wealth of topics that often prove daunting in the first eight weeks of a child ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by American Academy Of Pediatrics

To ask other readers questions about Heading Home with Your Newborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heading Home with Your Newborn

Start your review of Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
Chad Warner
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
The authors give useful advice based on medical research and their own experience as pediatricians and mothers. The book covers feeding, digestion, daily living, traveling, and health. It’s published by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Breastfeeding
• Wait until baby gets gist of breastfeeding before introducing artificial nipples (bottles or pacifiers). This may take 2-6 weeks.
• Give Vitamin D drops (200 IU/day) to exclusively breastfed babies starting at 2 months. Babies getting 16 oz formula
Lauren Albrecht
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a VERY helpful book to have on hand in the early days after bringing Adeline home! Often when I'd have a question, I'd pull out this book and find a great answer. I still look up some things 3 months later (like fever info!) - would recommend for all new moms!!
Traci
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Updated: changed my rating to 5 stars (previously 4). It was incredibly helpful for the first two months of my son's life.

I can't quite give this 5 stars since I'm not a practicing parent yet (oh will this baby ever arrive?) but I really liked this book.

My husband and I were both the youngest children in our families and I have no other experience with babies (despite desperately wanting a child for years and liking babies in general, they also kind of scare me and I'm definitely not a natural w
JBF
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The only pregnancy and/or baby book I've read all the way through so far. Informative and written in an easy to read but not cutesy style. My only complaint was that the info about cloth diapering was outdated and thus seemed unfairly negative.

Read a second time in 2014
Ariel Jensen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Short, informative sections about the basics of taking care of a baby. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no mention of adopting parents, but most of the chapters are applicable to any kind of caregiver.
Uchechukwu
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a pediatric resident with my first child on the way, I really liked this book! It does a great job of providing helpful tips and essential information without diving too much into the gritty details of caring for a newborn or providing rigid guidelines on how specifically do things. Definitely would recommend for soon-to-be parents.
Yomna Sh.
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Guide to the most exciting adventure :) What I liked the most is how simple and straightforward the book is.
Lauren
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This book was quite good! I was looking for a basic "here's the basics of what you need to know once you get home that first time" and this book fit the bill exactly. It focused on newborn care, but had a few tips for later one. It's clearly written for those around the third trimester, but earlier or later would work just as well. I believe it's written to be read cover-to-cover, but now that I am familiar with the content, I'm going to feel good about using it as a reference as well. There are ...more
Betsy
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite childcare/child development books are generally those that provide practical information with an undertone assuring parents to trust their instincts. "Heading Home..." does exactly that. While preparing new parents for what to expect during the first weeks after birthday, the authors give good advice while also encouraging readers to set realistic expectations, always consult a pediatrician when in doubt and basically listen to that little voice inside. The information is accessible, ...more
Efox
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-books
This book is wonderful. It's incredibly helpful and has answered tons of our questions about what is going on with the baby. Straightforward and so helpful to keep you from calling the pediatrician for every little thing!
Paige
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A solid guide to newborn care. The tone is lighthearted, and the guidance is practical and straightforward. I took this out from the library and probably won't buy my own copy (yet). I suspect there is a better newborn care reference book out there.
carrietracy
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Seeing as I don't actually have a newborn, I feel a bit guilty rating this, but it was clear, easy to understand and seemed really helpful. I'm considering purchasing it.
Harriet
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I definitely could have skipped this one. I would recommend it to the parent who has extremely limited-to-no experience caring for young children and who is looking to read just one book that covers all the basics - down to the actual steps involved in changing a diaper. That's not to say I didn't learn anything from reading this (there was some practical information about newborn jaundice, rashes, infections, etc.), but I had to sift through pages and pages of advice such as "make sure you didn ...more
Katherine
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
We took a "Newborn Care" class with our doula's agency and really should've just gotten this book instead. This is a very practical and accessible discussion of the actual logistics of caring for an infant. We've learned most of it by now, but it will be a go-to gift for any first-time parents without any prior experience caring for babies, who may not have competent relatives to learn from.

The one thing I think they have incorrect is the thing about keeping a bottle nipple filled with milk/for
Celine Bourdon
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good info! And fun to read

I really enjoyed reading through this book, great overview of what one experiences with a new born. I almost gave a five star but felt that at certain points there was some nuance or information missing. E.g. Would have wanted more discussion about breastfeeding, what is normal or abnormal when starting; how much pain is expected, what to do to prevent or heal. Overall fantastic ressource, just some bits and pieces missing... would be good to combine with information o
Lacey Pittman Tomanek
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very helpful book on newborn care, written by two pediatricians who are also mothers. My recommendation would be to read this the month before you’re due as I found that I read some of it too early in my pregnancy for it to really stick and some of it too late after I brought my son which if I’d read it sooner could have helped. You don’t need to read it cover to cover like I did, you could more use it like a reference book.
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first part was very helpful and full of good information- how to breastfeed, what to look for in poop, fevers, etc. The last part on documenting your child's milestones and the stuff on social media felt like fluff. I skimmed over most of it, and I doubt I will ever reference those sections again.
Mary
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Babies are weird. Their skin is weird. Their behavior is weird. They've got weird stuff coming out of both ends. If you have never had one before you are going to be asking yourself "Is this normal?" approximately every single day. This book answers a bunch of those questions without yiu having to pester your pediatrician every single day. I recommend it for all new parents.
Katie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
In contrast to a lot of the baby books out there, this one seemed to be pretty even-keeled with no-nonsense, helpful information on basically every topic that you can think of. Obviously I have no idea how much I will use this book going forward, but I dog-eared quite a few pages for future reference at least. I appreciated that it doesn't seem to preachy, also.
Bridget Glismann
Informative and enjoyable

I am in my third trimester reading this book and expecting my first child. I really enjoyed all the material covered in this book as it has given me a sense of what to expect when we bring Baby home and as a new parent that helps ease some uncertainties.
Cho Yim
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haven't read many parenting books, but I found this book to be a very helpful resource for parents expecting their first baby. It is written by pediatricians who try to stay objective. Particularly informative were the chapters regarding feeding, sleeping, pooping, travel/flying, and fevers. Appreciated the chapter listing baby's reflexes too. Good resource to have on hand.
Kathleen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’be been reading several other books. If I only had read this book, I’d give it 5 stars as it is loaded with useful information. Information is sectioned off nicely and covered fully. Quick and easy read. Highly recommend to anyone that has never had any experience with babies (a category I fall in) to get a well rounded idea of medical symptoms to look out for and what is expected and normal.
Katherine Pearse
Helpful and straightforward for new parents

Easy to read book about the immediate issues you'll encounter as a new parent. I found myself going back to previous chapters as I needed a reminder about certain topics. This book helped save my sanity in the early days and then weeks after coming home from the hospital!
Caroline
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still pregnant and I've read this twice. Good, sound advice from pediatricians on the details of newborn care. Very reassuring for a pregnant person who has never been involved in newborn care before. No detail is too small. How do you give a bath? How do you change a diaper? How do you get a shirt over their little wobbly head?
Mary
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved that the authors didn't talk to you like you were a total idiot. They also used humor which made it a lot easier to read this book compared to others. It's also not overwhelming like other books can be. This one gives you a realistic approach to things.

This review is also posted on the LibraryThing website.
Taylor Koerner
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. As a pediatrician, I would highly recommend it to anyone expecting a baby. It answers many of the questions that my own patients ask me and is full of high quality anticipatory guidance. It sets a nice tone of practicality. It's not as quick of a read as some other parenting books that I have read but that's because it has so much useful information.
Holly
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this book. I feel much less overwhelmed about bringing a new baby home. This book is full of advice and information that will make my life a lot easier. The casual, conversational style of the authors makes it a fun and easy read.
Michelle
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was super informative for someone like me who doesn't have any kids yet and doesn't have any experience with babies. All of the basics are covered, from diaper changing to putting on clothes.
Fae
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a really great, comprehensive overview of what to expect with a newborn. A combination of refreshers for what I already knew and new information. I got it from the library, but may pick up a copy to own just to have on hand for easy reference!
Alison
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom-stuff
actually really enjoyed reading this. informative, not preachy, provided practical advice not "just go with your feelings" blather. bulk of the content was interesting and easy to digest. borrowed a copy from the library but would consider buying my own to have on hand.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality
  • Cherish the First Six Weeks: A Plan that Creates Calm, Confident Parents and a Happy, Secure Baby
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Moms On Call Basic Baby Care: 0-6 Months (Expanded and Revised 2012) (Moms On Call Parenting Books)
  • Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, Early Motherhood—and Trusting Yourself and Your Body (Pregnancy Books, Mom to Be Gifts, Newborn Books, Birthing Books)
  • The Fifth Trimester: The Working Mom's Guide to Style, Sanity, and Big Success After Baby
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting