Start by marking “The Dark Verse, Vol. 3: Beyond the Grip of Time” as Want to Read:
The Dark Verse, Vol. 3: Beyond the Grip of Time

The Dark Verse, Vol. 3: Beyond the Grip of Time

(The Dark Verse #3)

Twenty-six short stories of occult, metaphysical, and fantastical horror that will follow you to the visions of your sleep.

This is Sharkchild's third tome of terror. It is a complete experience on its own and does not need the previous DARK VERSE volumes to be enjoyed.
Hardcover, First Edition, 211 pages
Published July 1st 2014 by Armored Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Verse, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Verse, Vol. 3

Start your review of The Dark Verse, Vol. 3: Beyond the Grip of Time
Scott Peterson
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very ready for this book to be over when I finally forced myself to finish it. The stories as a whole are not very good. There are a few that stood out as ok but not enough to keep me excited for the next story.
David
May 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
parasite
Laura Ruetz
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up at Wondercon last year because of the beautifully ornate cover. I wish it had not taken me this long to get to it because this is a wonderfully imaginative set of horror/dark fantasy short stories. The stories are well-crafted, and the imagery and depth of character is superb. Absolutely brilliant storytelling and art. Not only will you love the writing but the cover is a book lovers dream for displaying on their shelf. I look forward to reading the other books!
Carol Bosselman
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thought I would give these another try but this was worse than the first...lots of flowery, overblown prose with vague stories that aren't really stories, or at least not frightening or horrifying.
Josh
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beyond the Grip of Time marks the third volume of M. Amanuensis Sharkchild’s “The Dark Verse”, a series of books collecting stories that first appeared on the podcast of the same name. Sharkchild describes these tales as “occult, metaphysical, and fantastical horror”, but that only scratches the surface of the dark dreamscapes you’ll begin to wander as soon as you open the cover. This is the kind of cosmic horror and fantasy that takes you both deep inside yourself and farther away from reality ...more
Sarah Eagle
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I met M Amanuensis Sharkchild in person at BookCon in 2014, not too long after this came out. I would have bought Vol 1 or 2 if he had any left in stock, but he didn't, and I decided I liked him during our conversation, so I bought this one.
Having then just started delving into Lovecraft, this kindled my interest. I will say that it certainly nailed most of the vocabulary, and appropriately approaches the "cosmic horror" genre with its otherworldly feelings just beyond human comprehension.

Vivian Morgan
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a giveaway contest, finally finished it.

I have to say, this book is amazing. Just like the artwork for each story, the tales within are complex and thought provoking. Those who disliked this book are readers who like every detail to be written out in simple terms.

These stories are written beautifully and really take imagination and deep reflection to understand. If you love mysteries, complex horror, or stories that make you think, then this book series is for you. Honestly,
Kathryn Bigelow
Jul 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I won this book from the Goodreads contest and finally had a chance to read it. How I received this book has no impact on my review.

I loved the cover and interior design of this book. It is a gorgeous book, I wish I could say the same about the stories. While the writing was good, I really just didn't get the stories. I didn't understand them, I didn't find them scary and mostly I was just plain baffled by them. I actually gave up reading about a third of the way through. I forced myself to slog
Thomas Evans II
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of the trilogy

Yet another very impressive set of short stories from author Sharkchild. I read through all three books always excited to see what the next story would hold and I was definitely not disappointed. Now I am going to move on to his next book...
Joni Graves
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
It was an okay book. Not as scary as I thought it would be.
Gaze Santos
Dec 20, 2018
Lauren
Jun 03, 2016
Michael Adams
This third volume of The Dark Verse continues in the vein of the first two, delivering strange and imaginative stories of horror, dark fantasy, and the weird. I consistently found them creative, even if sometimes the prose is a little unnecessarily convoluted in places where shorter, more straight-forward sentences might have worked better. Still I'd definitely recommend this collection to fans of weird fiction, cosmic horror, and stories steeped in dream logic.
Samuel Garcia

• Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • Moonbound: Apollo 11 and the Dream of Spaceflight
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • Love and Capes Vol. 1: Do You Want To Know A Secret?
  • Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day
  • The Neverending Story
  • The Real Diary Of A Real Boy
  • The Folcroft Ghosts
  • Nemi - Vol. 1 (Nemi, #1)
  • Dear Santa: Children's Christmas Letters and Wish Lists, 1870 - 1920
  • The Berenstains' Baby Book
  • How to Teach Your Children About Sex Without Making a Complete Fool of Yourself
M. Amanuensis Sharkchild is the award-winning, Lovecraftian author of the growing series of horror fiction short stories The Dark Verse and of the dark fantasy novel The Spirit Collectors. His self-published books are praised for their illustrious hardcover binding and artwork and have won six awards. The Dark Verse is also a podcast through which Sharkchild releases new short stories on a regular ...more

The Dark Verse (4 books)