Start by marking “Cypher” as Want to Read:
Cypher

Cypher

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When a hitman kills the wrong person, a Greenville, SC detective confronts hidden agendas and conflicting motives in a powerful local family, while trying to control his attraction to the intended victim—a woman who should be dead, but instead is hell-bent on saving the remnants of her family. Unwilling to stand by while her family and world are destroyed, she rips apart t ...more
Published August 2014 by Red Mountain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cypher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cypher

Rita Sheppard
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A couple is brutally murdered, other murders and shootings follow as the police in Greenville, South Carolina try to solve the cases. At the heart of all of the crime is the Wainwright family and possibly Cypher, the company Alan Wainwright started.

This is an intricate story of high finance, big time drug dealers, dedicated police officers, and a dysfunctional family that will keep you reading until the end and will not soon forget.
Grant Leishman
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a sheer pleasure it is to read a full length novel again, one that takes the time to set the scene, develop the characters and provide a fast, well-structured plot. At 323 pages on Kindle, Cypher is a satisfying read that you can't just do in a single sitting. So many of today's novels seem more like stretched short stories, but not Cypher. This is a good, solid novel that I enjoyed very much.

On initial glance Cypher might seem like your typical formulaic crime/cop story, but it is much mo
Renee Rearden
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Life throws curve balls…and sometimes it hits you right between the eyes.

Cara Wainwright is still processing her mother’s diagnosis of terminal cancer when her house guests turn up dead. She’s devastated by their loss, horrified their killer is on the loose and furious when the police tag her as their number one suspect instead of catching the murderer.

Luckily for her, Detective David Morris isn’t buying the obvious clues. The political and familial ties revolving around the investigation compli
Shelly
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I am going to keep this review pretty short. The reason being that it's been a couple weeks since I finished the book. I have been so busy that I'm just now getting a chance to write the review and I don't know that I can do the book proper justice this far removed.

I loved this book, I can tell you that with no hesitation! In fact I read it relatively quickly. What I don't love is the cover art. I received an ARC copy with just a plain red cover and I liked it better that the actual cover. Pay n
Rebecca Austin
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Detective David Morris heads out to a murder scene little does he know how involved he is about to get. With a mistaken identity of the victim, Caroline Wainright, he knows in his heart that she is innocent but things are happening around her that is making her look involved.

Yet, Caroline feels that it either involves drugs or her dad's company, Cypher. She is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, even with her life in danger.

Will David be able to sort out the truth and help Carol
Geri
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a riveting story! The details about the city of Greenville, SC were so spot on! I live and work in the Greenville area and it was so cool to be able to read the story and know exactly where the author was writing about. Cara was such a very strong character even though some of the other characters did not see her strength. The relationships between all of the characters were very well written and made you feel like you knew them and could almost predict their reactions to the situa ...more
Niki Driscoll
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Do you love a good puzzle or a mystery that throws you lots of twists and turns? Welcome to Cypher. Ms. Perkins takes us on a ride filled with murder, betrayal, pride, trust , love and a mystery. As you are introduced to a variety of characters you are mentally trying to make connections and figure out the players. There are a lot red herrings to lead you off track. Are you a good enough sleuth to see past the distractions? This has a well thought out storyline that keeps you on your toes. It is ...more
Marcelle Dube
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great mystery! I never saw the ending coming, even though there were clues. The police investigation led me to believe that Perkins had law enforcement experience, but her bio doesn't mention it. She does a great job of keeping you guessing about what's really going on. In Cypher, she's created a cast of engaging and interesting characters and a love story that unfolds believably and inevitably. I will definitely look for more of her stories.
Marissa Garner
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Cathy Perkins has another hit. Cleverly plotted and well written. Her knowledge of the financial world forms an excellent foundation for a highly believable story. Frequent twists and turns keep the reader guessing. Strong characters to care about and root for. Looking forward to the next book!
Cathy
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I admit, I'm prejudiced - I fell in love with these characters while writing their story. Watching David and Cara grow and fight for what they really want - while staying ahead of a twisting suspense that was also a blast to write - made this one of my favorites stories.
Breanna Eichhorn
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, it's a very well written story one that I know I will be able to read again and again. This is my first book by Cathy Perkins and it will not be my last. The Characters were very well developed.
Lucinda Clarke
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK WELL WRITTEN
The title says in all. One of those books I pick up and find difficult to put down. Great characters with depth, a ‘who done it which kept me guessing’ and some interesting facts about the finance world. I shall look out for more books by this author.
Tsubaki
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm really torn between 3 and 4 stars, maybe somewhere in between, I'll be good and say 4 for now. On a general scale, I loved the story, but there were some aspects I did not enjoy. For the most part, Cypher was a complete pleasure to read. In true mystery novel fashion, the book lays out the groundwork from the very beginning. There's no easing into the story so to speak, the reader is plunged headfirst into crazy.

Pennell (l
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
All in all, this story was good but I'll be honest...I had to stop multiple times to read other things because I lost interest so easily. It took me 3 weeks to read this and normally only takes me a day or two to read something if it holds my interest. It wasn't until the last 50 to 75 pages that I was able to really get into the book and enjoy it.

This story had mystery, suspense, violence, intrigue, denial, deception, heartache, and a wee bit of romance. Written as a multi pov. Everything happ
Lynn Hallbrooks
I obtained this book from Reading Deals Review Club in exchange for an honest review.

This story is a Police Procedural with a romantic twist.

Caroline has a lot on her plate, she's trying to balance work and taking care of her mother. When she comes home from the hospital one morning, she is surprised to learn what happened in her apartment. This is only the beginning of what one could describe as a living nightmare.

This story has so many knots and twists that it seemed that it may never come un
Julia
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was a good, solid mystery/thriller. With a side of romance. I really enjoyed reading about the two main characters, Cara and David. They both seemed well developed and interesting.

Someone is trying to kill Cara, and it is up to Detective David to find out the why and the who. The book dives into drugs, and corporate takeovers. Cara's family business, Cypher, is developing a new product that is supposed to be a game changer. Exactly what the product is is never fully revealed. But it is some
Mary
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I unequivocally recommend this book to everyone who likes mysteries. It is well written and well researched. Loved the flow of the characters, good ones and bad. It was a page turner from the beginning and I couldn't close the book after the first few pages. The writing pulled me right into the story, like I was a part of the story it was that good. Cathy Perkins, you are good. Your style reminds me of James Patterson and Michael Connelly, both of whom are great authors.
I was provided with a com
Judith
May 15, 2015 added it
Cara Wainwright arrives home to find the police investigating the murder of her house guests, dead in her bed. As a suspect she tries to convince detective David Morris of her innocence. But she soon suspects those in her father's business and even her family of the murder. The book starts slowly but soon races to a satisfying end.
Ricki
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, suspense
Sort of a police procedural with some romance, this story went in some directions that did not seem the most intuitive. The mystery and the suspense needed to be tighter, and might have been if the characters were more endearing.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Cathy Perkins rolls out the mystery right from the first page of "Cypher".

Read full review in the 2014/2015 Holiday issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Kris
Jul 29, 2014
Michelle
Feb 11, 2016
Silvio Tunnels
rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2015
Jan 01, 2015
99 cent Bestsellers: CYPHER ~ mystery/suspense 1 5 Aug 17, 2014 01:14PM
  • Penthouse Man
  • Past Imperfections
  • Children of the Underground (Children of Paranoia #2)
  • Cat in the Flock (Dreamslippers #1)
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • All the Pretty Dresses
  • Bird of Prey (Sémya Slotin Mystery, #1)
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)
  • Land Sharks - A Swindle in Sumatra (Land Sharks, #1)
  • Found (Matt Royal Mystery #8)
  • The Rocking Horse
  • The Quiet Kill
  • Dangerous Paradise (Dangerous Millionaires)
  • Roll Call (Traces, #3)
  • The Tipping Point (A Wainwright Mystery)
  • Before They Find Us
  • Finding Fisher
An award-winning author, Cathy Perkins works in the financial industry, where she's observed the hide-in-plain-sight skills employed by her villains. She writes predominantly financial-based mysteries but enjoys exploring the relationship aspect of her characters' lives. A member of Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers of America (Kiss of Death chapter) and International Thriller Writers, she is a co ...more
More about Cathy Perkins

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)