Start by marking “Race to Tibet” as Want to Read:
Race to Tibet

Race to Tibet

"An intriguing, sometimes florid, but fast-paced novelistic account of a European expedition into the wilds of Tibet by an accomplished thriller and historical adventure writer."
Kirkus Reviews
"Fans of Jules Verne’s travel adventures will find Schiller has done a solid job of transforming an obscure real-life Victorian expedition into a thrilling yarn." Publishers Weekly.
Published January 26th 2015 by Tradewinds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Race to Tibet, please sign up.
Sophie Schiller Hi Princess, thank you for your enthusiasm! I will let you know as soon as the book is released!!

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
My earliest memory of Tibet is probably reading Tintin in Tibet and years later I saw Seven Years in Tibet. So when I saw this book I just knew that I had to read it. Tibet is a country that iI find fascinating and I would love to visit it someday. But for now, I will be content my reading books about it.

The French explorer Gabriel Bonvalot sets as a goal in this book to be the first European person to visit Lhasa, the forbidden city in Tibet. Travelling with Bonvalot is also Prince Henri d'Orlé
Melinda
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The narrative is full of adventure and action. It’s adventures within adventures repeating as the team faces multiple precarious challenges. The plot has a rather intricate and complex feel without being cumbersome. As dilemma after dilemma strikes, tragedy hits and looms, dangerous issues arise, you travel along with all the excitement and suspense. Schiller’s interpretation and manipulation of historical events and fiction is genius, well executed.

Schiller provides a diverse cast. You feel the
Sophie Schiller
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Readers Favorite:
Race to Tibet by Sophie Schiller is a thrilling adventure novel based on a factual expedition to Tibet. Race to Tibet is about an expedition launched by French explorer Gabriel Bonvalot into the heart of Tibet where few westerners had ventured before. Accompanying him is the young son of the Duke of Chartres, who is the sponsor and financial backer of the expedition. The story starts with an introduction to the Duke and the latest trouble that his son, Henri, has gotten himself
Philip
Thanks to the author for an advance copy of this well-researched and charmingly-written adventure yarn from "the Golden Age" of Central Asian exploration. I've read a lot about the Great Game over the years, but as that focuses on the British-Russian conflict, I'd apparently remained largely ignorant of French efforts to penetrate Tibet - and Schiller's book has now gone a long way towards filling that gap.

As with most good adventure/explorer tales, Race to Tibet is very cinematic in scope, and
Erin Al-Mehairi
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Publisher Weekly stole a little bit of my thunder yesterday for my review today of the historical fiction novel Race to Tibet, as they compared it as similar to reading a Jules Verne adventure. That’s what I was going to say! Great minds think alike. But that’s okay, I have more to say!

It’s an endeavor so grand, you’d think it wasn’t based in real life Victorian era history, but rather more a screenplay for an epic drama or a classic novel from the golden age of world exploration. The characters
Alyssa
I went through a period of fascination with Tibet in my mid-teens, and read Seven Years in Tibet (by Heinrich Harrer). (I saw the film later, and I didn't think it was nearly as good as the book.) To come back to a book about Tibet, after so many years, reminded me of my earlier fascination.

As this was fiction of real-life events, I'm now intrigued to perhaps read the accounts of Bonvalot, and Prince Henri, and particularly of the priest Father Dedeken, who knew Chinese (apparently quite unusual
vvb
3.5 rating
For the most part, this story was a travelogue (without pictures). It went into the details and logistics of a caravan traveling to, in and around Tibet during the 1800s. Along with horrendous weather and terrain conditions to battle at times, local people and authorities in regards to paperwork, official documents and bribes created road blocks to contend with as well.

Despite different personalities and reasons to travel, the key characters of this story shared the same one-track mind
Larry Launstein
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I believe Sophie Schiller’s book “Race To Tibet" is a very enjoyable reading experience. It has the elements of intrigue, exploration adventure, and tension between the principal characters, and the people who try to turn the explorers back from their goal. I love the settings in the book. I strongly recommend everyone read the book, and when I read it, I just couldn’t put it down!
Barb Ettridge
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful quest of a Victorian expedition to see the holy city of Lhasa and met the Dalai Lama, something that no Westerner has ever done, but the obstacles are so great, that the reader wants into the forbidden country as much as the explorers do. Beautifully rich and vivid - a delight to read.
Heather C
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Race to Tibet is a true adventure story – the characters traverse some of the most dangerous locations of their time (and probably still today). The author makes it clear to the reader just how terrible the circumstances were of their expedition – the cold, the mountain elevation illness, predators, bandits, severe storms, etc. No one seemed to want the travelers to make it to Tibet. It had to be almost an art-form attempting to get there. I know that I would never have survived that expedition ...more
Lynne Hinkey
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Race to Tibet" is an exciting Victorian-era trek to the "roof of the world," Tibet, a land that at the time, had yet to be explored by westerners. Set during the "Great Game" (late-1800s), the struggle between the Russian and British Empires for supremacy in Central Asia provides an ever-present background tension for Schiller's team of intrepid explorers.

Facing obstacle after obstacle, from the weather, to geography, to political machinations, they continue to advance toward their goal of the
Shoshanah
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was unlike anything I've ever read before. I've read book that take place in the late 1800s before. I've even read books that take place in Tibet before, but really, nothing could have prepared me for what I was getting into here. And I truly do mean that in the best way possible.

This book tells the adventure of a group of explorers, including a Prince and a woman looking for her lost husband, who travel from France to Tibet in the late 1800s in a quest to be the first Europeans to mak
Kristy McCaffrey
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In 1889, French explorer Gabriel Bonvalot set out to reach Tibet. At that time, no European had ever set foot in Lhasa, and he was determined to enter the well-guarded city and meet the Dalai Lama himself. To gain the funds to go, he’s forced to bring along Prince Henri d’Orléans, a pretender to the French throne and a scandalous playboy. Joining them in a large caravan is Camille Dancourt, a young French woman searching for her husband who disappeared in Tibet and was never heard from again.

Ms.
Dianna Rostad
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Freeztastic book!! If you’ve ever wanted to know what happens to people when they push themselves to the absolute limits at the highest place on earth, then this book will satisfy your curiosity utterly and completely. Bodner’s book is based on Gabriel Bonvalot’s expedition into the mountains of Tibet to see the forbidden city of Lhasa. You feel as if you’re up on that high mountain with them, thin air, icicles for hands, and as they kept going and found themselves trapped on so many levels you ...more
Chad
I liked it! This was nice piece of historical fiction set during the last decade of the 1800s in central Asia and Tibet. Gabriel Bonvalot is a French explore who wants the claim/fame of being the first explorer inside the forbidden city of Lhasa, home of the Dalai Lama. In order to conduct this trip Bonvalot must acquire the funds and that is where Prince Henri d'Orléans comes in. Much of the story is in the mountains and what the party had to endure in such an environment. I am interested in bo ...more
Brian Southworth
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a fun adventure! This wonderful piece tells the story of a group of explorers who go through treacherous terrain in attempt to reach the forbidden city of Lhasa in Tibet.This group battles overwhelming odds, freezing temperatures, raging winds, sickness and a host of other obstacles.Sophie Schiller has done a beautiful job giving adventure fans a story that is part history lesson and a page turner worthy of a summer read!
Toby
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nonstop excitement from beginning to end.
Louise
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is brilliant!
Derring do in the high mountains.
A well written account of true events in the late 19th century. French explorers head to Tibet.
Well worth a read.
Debra Schoenberger
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story - I froze the whole way through! A few typos but entertaining.
Adrian
Michael
Aug 16, 2017

• The Song Peddler of the Pont Neuf
  • The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte
  • The Sword of the Maiden (The Watchmen Saga #2)
  • Death at the Paris Exposition
  • Taking The Cross
  • Unravelled: Two Wars. Two Affairs. One Marriage.
  • The Last Campaign of Marianne Tambour: A Novel of Waterloo
  • The Holy Lance (The English Templars #1)
  • The Summer of France
  • Young Jane Austen: Becoming a Writer
  • Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer
  • The Lost Season of Love and Snow
  • The Rivals of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #2)
  • The Lincoln Conspiracy
  • A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time
  • The Frenchman (Bennett Sisters #5)
  • Oswald: Return of the King (The Northumbrian Thrones, #2)
  • Christmas Spirit (Cutter's Creek #7.4)
Sophie Schiller was born in Paterson, NJ and grew up in the West Indies. She is a novelist and a poet. Kirkus Reviews has called her "an accomplished thriller and historical adventure writer." Publishers Weekly called her Island on Fire, “a memorable romantic thriller,” her Race to Tibet, "A thrilling yarn," and her Transfer Day, “a page-turner with emotional resonance." On a Moonlit Night in the ...more