Start by marking “Go in Action” as Want to Read:
Go in Action

Go in Action

Go in Action introduces the Go language, guiding you from inquisitive developer to Go guru. The book begins by introducing the unique features and concepts of Go. Then, you'll get hands-on experience writing real-world applications including websites and network servers, as well as techniques to manipulate and convert data at speeds that will make your friends jealous.
Published November 2015 by Manning (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Go in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go in Action

Start your review of Go in Action
Sebastian Gebski
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Weird read. What's worse - a read I didn't enjoy ;/

Context:
My golang-fu is rather poor, but I know the language already. I've read this book just for fun, because I've already bought it plenty of time ago as a MEAP in Manning.

Briefly:
* very important introduction (quick-start) seems very chaotic & messy
* good (but not 100% up-to-date) chapter on packaging
* good chapter on concurrency
* VERY good chapter on concurrency patterns
* and plenty of other chapters that are barely worth mentioning ;/

Josh Glover
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This book claims to be aimed at people who know how to program but do not yet know Go. Despite this, it goes into a lot of detail on things that working programmers can understand at a glance.

Where the book really shone was when describing Go's concurrency model, which is what the language is known for. I wish more pages would have been devoted to concurrency and fewer to the more elementary parts of Go that are really just different syntax.
Michael Koltsov
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I always thought of myself as of a quick learner, therefore I prefer to practice and hone my skill rather than reading long and lenghty books. But this book is an exception. Its not long, its not boring. But after reading it, I felt unsatisfied as the code examples were far from whats needed in the real life, some parts of the language are shallowly described and the whole impression of the language it gives is that Go is very close to Javascript and you can easily learn it over the weekend. ...more
Minh
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for starters of golang language. Detail explaining about some concept like build-in type, channel, writer, reader, ...
Ahmed Abdraboh
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book to get your hands in Golang very quickly. I liked how it's approaching different concepts and the very simple explanation method.
Kaixi Luo
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird book. Not an in-depth reference nor a tutorial for beginners. In spite of its innocent name, "Chapter 2, Go quick-start" is far from a simple "Hello world" tutorial and can be daunting if you've never played with Go before. Beginners beware, the author assumes you already have a working knowledge of programming concepts such pointers and semaphores.

The 2 concurrency chapters are great, and the final chapter on testing, which includes mocking HTTP services, is a nice finishing touch. The
Venkatesh-Prasad
A great introduction to Go language. In 250 pages, it covers almost all of the features of Go language in sufficient detail to start programming in Go using almost all of its features. The book takes a no-nonsense approach that is grounded in examples (like most "in Action" books from Manning). Each concept is illustrated with simple examples that help clearly discern different possibilities. To get the most out of the book, the reader should have some programming experience; preferably, in ...more
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a python programmer new to Go. I read several Go books, this one not worst among them but at maximum I can say average. the content at maximum 80 page spanned to 200+ pages. chapter that explain data structure(array/slice/map) is relatively good, but 2 chapters on concurrency are confusing. overall you don't need to buy a book for Go. you find link to the best resources (all free) in golang.org/doc
Andrew
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read one book on Go, this text is very comprehensive with regards to the choice of topics. But the pattern of code blocks and prose gets tiresome. Especially during the chapter on the standard library. At that point, reading the actual Go documentation is the same thing without block of prose.
Brian Wisti
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I hoped for more of an introduction to using Go, but this turned out to be more of an introduction to the underlying mechanics of the language. Maybe it's good in that context. I don't know. Not a great book for somebody just getting started though.
Gonzalo Fernández-Victorio
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, it
This book provides a very good introduction to Go, the programming language. Probably the "Go Programming language" is better as a reference and to understand the nitty gritty. But this book gives context and a practical approach.
Ahmad Tabbakha
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for people who are somewhat new to go but have had some programming experience. I think you can still learn as a complete beginner though. You will learn a lot of important basics from this book.
Matthew
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books to read to learn more than just the language spec of Go. Unfortunately all the top Go books could use a bit of updating, but this still is worth a read for sending someone in the right direction towards enjoying Go programming.
Mathi Fonseca
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Excellent resource for experience programmers who want to get to know Go. It convinced me to build my next project using Go, with great examples, clear and complete explanations, short but still deep level.
Edwin Dalorzo
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a good start to learning go. It covers the basics, the examples were helpful. There are small typos/errors in some of the examples and some of the examples hitting URL use Go's http API were outdated and produced errors. Other than that, it was a decent book.
Yago Nobre
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is a good introduction to go
Kelvin Yan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introductory into GoLang for intermediate developers
Shaon Shaonty
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Concurrency chapter is much helpful
Arquero
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of examples with detailed explanations that provide deep insight.
Liked virtually all the chapters.

Definitely recommend. Though perhaps it was too verbose )
Jianping Zeng
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for Go lang beginner
Iva Miholic
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cs
Good beginners book with type internals but could be much more detailed.
Brian
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great intro to the language. Doesn't include any projects to build but that's not really the point of this book.
Vijayekkumaran M
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a book that can bootstrap experienced programmers into golang. Reviews pointed to this book and it was a right choice.
Oleg
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of those books from "in action" series I can't recommend.
Concurrency chapters are good, but too many repetition.
Stuart
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading "Go in Action and can recommend it to programmers who are getting into Go as a second language or are curious about what Go has to offer in comparison with the language that they know.

The authors clearly know their stuff, as Go users, educators and conference organisers and this clearly shows in the writing and topics that they cover. I liked the examples in this book the were both relevant and interesting. Some I could get straight away and for others I appreciated the line by
Christophe Addinquy
I had mixed felings at the end of the book. On one hand, the explanations are clear and the examples are well desconstructed (sometimes too much) to raise the important points.
However, the language doesn't seem to be well covered. Some important aspects such as introspection are even not covered at all ! We should look for another book to start playing with Go.
Ma note de lecture en français ici
Taro
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I haven't needed to code at all in Go but picked this one up when the startup I was with had started using Go for the web backend language. I thought the book was okay overall but could not actually get myself excited about what the language appeared to offer. It didn't convince me to switch from Python then, and now Rust seems more interesting. At least the book didn't make me a convert.
Peter Sellars
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Got me going fast with golang and explained the main concepts in a quick, precise and useful fashion. Able to now start contributing to Go projects, read source code and start my own golang projects now. Still plenty to learn but this was a great starter.
Maurício Linhares
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice introductory book, lacks a chapter on networking that's just not HTTP and the concurrency patterns chapter is too small, I'd assume the Go community has developed many more different ways to handle the subject.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not for Advanced golang dev. Good for developer start learning go

• The Go Programming Language
  • Safsatalar Ansiklopedisi: Akıl Yürüt(eme)menin Kısa Tarihi
  • The Vanished Birds
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »