Start by marking “Go in Action” as Want to Read:
Go in Action

Go in Action

Go in Action introduces the Go language, guiding you from inquisitive developer to Go guru. The book begins by introducing the unique features and concepts of Go. Then, you'll get hands-on experience writing real-world applications including websites and network servers, as well as techniques to manipulate and convert data at speeds that will make your friends jealous.
Published November 2015 by Manning (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Go in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go in Action

Start your review of Go in Action
Sebastian Gebski
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Weird read. What's worse - a read I didn't enjoy ;/

Context:
My golang-fu is rather poor, but I know the language already. I've read this book just for fun, because I've already bought it plenty of time ago as a MEAP in Manning.

Briefly:
* very important introduction (quick-start) seems very chaotic & messy
* good (but not 100% up-to-date) chapter on packaging
* good chapter on concurrency
* VERY good chapter on concurrency patterns
* and plenty of other chapters that are barely worth mentioning ;/

Josh Glover
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This book claims to be aimed at people who know how to program but do not yet know Go. Despite this, it goes into a lot of detail on things that working programmers can understand at a glance.

Where the book really shone was when describing Go's concurrency model, which is what the language is known for. I wish more pages would have been devoted to concurrency and fewer to the more elementary parts of Go that are really just different syntax.
Michael Koltsov
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I always thought of myself as of a quick learner, therefore I prefer to practice and hone my skill rather than reading long and lenghty books. But this book is an exception. It’s not long, it’s not boring. But after reading it, I felt unsatisfied as the code examples were far from what’s needed in the real life, some parts of the language are shallowly described and the whole impression of the language it gives is that Go is very close to Javascript and you can easily learn it over the weekend. ...more
Minh
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for starters of golang language. Detail explaining about some concept like build-in type, channel, writer, reader, ...
Ahmed Abdraboh
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book to get your hands in Golang very quickly. I liked how it's approaching different concepts and the very simple explanation method.
Kaixi Luo
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird book. Not an in-depth reference nor a tutorial for beginners. In spite of its innocent name, "Chapter 2, Go quick-start" is far from a simple "Hello world" tutorial and can be daunting if you've never played with Go before. Beginners beware, the author assumes you already have a working knowledge of programming concepts such pointers and semaphores.

The 2 concurrency chapters are great, and the final chapter on testing, which includes mocking HTTP services, is a nice finishing touch. The
Venkatesh-Prasad
A great introduction to Go language. In 250 pages, it covers almost all of the features of Go language in sufficient detail to start programming in Go using almost all of its features. The book takes a no-nonsense approach that is grounded in examples (like most "in Action" books from Manning). Each concept is illustrated with simple examples that help clearly discern different possibilities. To get the most out of the book, the reader should have some programming experience; preferably, in ...more
Dominik Chrástek
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
First programming language book that I ever read. Some chapters e.g. (concurrency patterns, that first chapter where the whole script was described etc...) were really good. Golang is simple in general, I was able to write rest APIs before I read this book. I recommend just some chapters if you are not beginner (have experience with programming e.g. you are already able to use some prog. language) and for everything else just go through official golang tour: https://tour.golang.org/.
Worth
Andrew
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read one book on Go, this text is very comprehensive with regards to the choice of topics. But the pattern of code blocks and prose gets tiresome. Especially during the chapter on the standard library. At that point, reading the actual Go documentation is the same thing without block of prose.
Peter
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
It's a decent-enough book with a somewhat strange structure, but that structure works for the most part. I've followed Go from the beginning and I've read a few Go books, but I can only think of one that's actually better: The Go Programming Language by Donovan and Kernighan. I'd recommend that first, this one second. And don't forget that the online documentation is already quite excellent.
Mathi Fonseca
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Excellent resource for experience programmers who want to get to know Go. It convinced me to build my next project using Go, with great examples, clear and complete explanations, short but still deep level.
Gonzalo Fernández-Victorio
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it, 2018
This book provides a very good introduction to Go, the programming language. Probably the "Go Programming language" is better as a reference and to understand the nitty gritty. But this book gives context and a practical approach.
Matthew
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books to read to learn more than just the language spec of Go. Unfortunately all the top Go books could use a bit of updating, but this still is worth a read for sending someone in the right direction towards enjoying Go programming.
Ahmad Tabbakha
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for people who are somewhat new to go but have had some programming experience. I think you can still learn as a complete beginner though. You will learn a lot of important basics from this book.
Brian Wisti
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I hoped for more of an introduction to using Go, but this turned out to be more of an introduction to the underlying mechanics of the language. Maybe it's good in that context. I don't know. Not a great book for somebody just getting started though.
Yago Nobre
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is a good introduction to go
Jianping Zeng
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for Go lang beginner
Iva Miholic
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cs
Good beginners book with type internals but could be much more detailed.
Arquero
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of examples with detailed explanations that provide deep insight.
Liked virtually all the chapters.

Definitely recommend. Though perhaps it was too verbose )
Kelvin Yan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introductory into GoLang for intermediate developers
Shaon Shaonty
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
Concurrency chapter is much helpful
Oleg
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of those books from "in action" series I can't recommend.
Concurrency chapters are good, but too many repetition.
Stuart
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading "Go in Action” and can recommend it to programmers who are getting into Go as a second language or are curious about what Go has to offer in comparison with the language that they know.

The authors clearly know their stuff, as Go users, educators and conference organisers and this clearly shows in the writing and topics that they cover. I liked the examples in this book the were both relevant and interesting. Some I could get straight away and for others I appreciated the line
Christophe Addinquy
I had mixed felings at the end of the book. On one hand, the explanations are clear and the examples are well desconstructed (sometimes too much) to raise the important points.
However, the language doesn't seem to be well covered. Some important aspects such as introspection are even not covered at all ! We should look for another book to start playing with Go.
Ma note de lecture en français ici
Peter Sellars
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Got me going fast with golang and explained the main concepts in a quick, precise and useful fashion. Able to now start contributing to Go projects, read source code and start my own golang projects now. Still plenty to learn but this was a great starter.
Maurício Linhares
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice introductory book, lacks a chapter on networking that's just not HTTP and the concurrency patterns chapter is too small, I'd assume the Go community has developed many more different ways to handle the subject.
Ömer Efendioğlu
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is indeed best way to begin learning Go.
ferhat
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016_read
Nice introduction but I recommend The Go Programming Language for that purpose.
Gaba
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This is a great book on how to write GO. It is very clear on code styles and best practices.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not for Advanced golang dev. Good for developer start learning go

• The Go Programming Language
  • The Official Highway Code
  • Concurrency in Go: Tools and Techniques for Developers
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »