Start by marking “Rasmus and the Vagabond” as Want to Read:
Rasmus and the Vagabond

Rasmus and the Vagabond

Published November 28th 2014 by Plough Publishing House (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Rasmus and the Vagabond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rasmus and the Vagabond

Melanie
Poor Poor Rasmus. If only he had curly hair and better yet- was a little girl instead of a boy with straight hair. Surely if he was, the nice families would come and adopt him from the orphanage, Right? While the older boys try to tell Rasmus to stop hoping for a family, he simply can’t give up the dream and settle into the orphanage life, which is all he has ever known. Rasmus is a pretty good boy, but he just cannot take the orphanage anymore and he runs away wishing for freedom and hopefully ...more
Steven Walle
I accidently posted this book. I didn't read it but I don't know how to get rid of it so I chose this option.
Be Blessed.
Kirsten Swanson
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old favorite, now shared with my children.
Rasmus the orphan child shows the importance of touch and listening to children. Oscar the vagabond, loveable and surprising becomes a hero in more than one way.
Margaret Chind
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Plough
Review below.

Through the many lists that I have acquired through out the years on books to read aloud to and books to let middle readers delve into, Astrid Lindgren has always been recommended. There are a few titles I often see, including her heroine Pippi Longstocking, but what about for the hero-inclined (aka boy) readers? Thus, we have Rasmus.

I love this cover! The book itself has that soft feel and the colors and image to the cover image are very attractive (Kudos Eric Palmquist!). For m
Kimberly Miller
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! From start to finish, Astrid Lindgren had me hooked. This is an excellent story to read to your children at bedtime - a chapter or two each night - will wisk them off to dreamland where they can travel the road with Paradise Oscar and Rasmus in search of parents for Rasmus. They have many adventures during their travels and even solve a mystery! Children of all ages, young and old, will enjoy this book!
Linda Walters
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy, this was another story that I wasn't sure I was going to like. I found before too long, that wasn't the case. What a surprise! I fell in love with it! It was such a sweet, charming story with more than one subtle character building points. Rasmus is tired of being passed over for girls with curly hair. He has two strikes against him when it comes to getting a family. He's a boy. AND he has straight hair. So when he innocently gets in trouble several times in one day, he hightails it out ...more
Erika
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a long time fan of Pippi Longstocking, I couldn’t pass up the chance to review a new book by her creator, Astrid Lindgren. Lindgren’s newest novel, starring an orphan boy named Rasmus, is a wonderful adventure that takes me right back to my childhood nights, reading under my blanket with a flashlight. As a grown woman with children too young for chapter books, I still gobbled up the whole story in one sitting!

Lindgren does an amazing job of making both Rasmus and his unlikely, but loveable v
Jalynn Patterson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

After running away from an orphanage, nine-year-old Rasmus finds the world a cold and unfriendly place until he meets an extraordinary tramp called "Paradise Oscar." Together they meet more adventure than they ever imagined, solve a mystery, catch the culprits, and find Rasmus a home. Astrid Lindgren, who gave the world Pippi Longstocking, sets this action-packed classic of children s literature in the Swedish countryside before the age of automobiles. This is one book you ll want
Steph Thompson
As a child I devoured Lindren's Pipi Longstocking series. I fell in love with the quirky character and vivid, playful writing. I expected no less from Rasmus and the Vagabond, and was not disappointed.

In Rasmus and the Vagabond Astrid Lindgren explores the innocent angst of a young boy, his unlikely companion, and a journey that changes them both. Rasmus is a 9 year old orphan who, though well cared for, has not experienced much love or affection. He longs for a mother and father of his own, but
Create With Joy
When you think back to childhood, which books and literary characters hold a special place in your heart?

One of my fondest memories comes from the time I spent vicariously experiencing the adventures of Pippi Longstocking - that unforgettable, high-spirited gal with the remarkable red braids!

If you are also a fan of Pippi's - or a lover of classic children's books - or are simply looking for a wholesome adventure featuring a young male protagonist - you'll be delighted to learn that Astrid Lindg
Caren
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book has all the elements of a really good story: likeable characters with well-defined "good guys" and "bad guys", lots of action, interesting setting (Sweden in the summer), and working through a problem to a delightful solution. It has an old-timey feel, probably because parts of the plot seem to be from another time and place. Rasmus lives in an orphanage where prospective parents come periodically to look at the children as one would nowadays go to an animal shelter and pick out a pupp ...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
If you are looking for an accurate review of this book, then you need to hear the voice of my 9-yr-old daughter, who simply devoured this book and declared that she loved it! Why? She couldn't put it down! She loved Rasmus and his friend, Paradise Oscar, and was held in the grip of the action-filled scenes, the suspense, and of course the thoroughly satisfying ending (which she said was her favourite part!) Of course I won't ruin the book for you by giving it away, but I will say that I agree wh ...more
Christy
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't heard of Pippi Longstocking? She's famous, right! The brave, adventurous girl with the red braids isn't the only lovable character created by author Astrid Lindgren. I'd love to introduce you to Rasmus! Rasmus is a little orphan boy who lives with many other children at Vaesterhaga, the local orphanage. He's never chosen by the couples who come to visit, and he's had enough of Miss Hawk. He is afraid of never being chosen, so he decides to set off on his own to find parents.

Instead, h
Erin Cataldi
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Children will eat up this adventure, as they imagine themselves as Rasmus, the runaway orphan. After he escapes the orphanage and "The Hawk" he encounters a tramp. Thankfully, this is the nicest tramp in the world and the two get along famously. Rasmus becomes dedicated to Oscar, God's favorite tramp, and the two pass their time singing or working for food. Things don't stay rosy for long though. The two encounter some masked robbers and the bad guys attempt to put the blame for the stolen goods ...more
Tima
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rasmus wants parents more than anything else. But everyone knows that parents always want curly haired little girls. And Rasmus is a nine-year-old boy with straight hair. So fearing punishment for a prank, Rasmus runs away and finds himself in the company of Oscar, a vagabond. The adventures they encounter are scary and thrilling for the young boy as the two search for the perfect parents for young Rasmus.

Written in a classic style that will never get old, the author tells a story that readers b
Dana Kolste
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a child, one of my favorite games was to play "Orphan". My cousins and I would pretend to be run-away-orphans and go on simple adventures together. This book had the feel of that game - simple and gentle, yet full of fun. Young Rasmus, a 9-year-old orphan, ran away from his orphanage not so much to escape terrible conditions or wicked people as to find a real family. On his journey he is befriended by Vagabond Paradise Oscar, a happy tramp willing to take a young boy under his wing. I ...more
Gracia
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rasmus started at an orphanage and then travelled for a long time with a vagabond. They found a secret cellar in a cottage they stayed in. It was filled with jewels and gold. Then robbers came and Rasmus locked one in the cellar. The other one fell off a cliff because he was chasing the vagabond. They took all the gold to the sheriff. They went to a farmhouse to stay for the night and they met the farmer and his wife. They were about to go to the same orphanage that Rasmus started out at. They a ...more
Rita Hernandez
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book! It is a great read that is perfect for children ages 8-12 years old. The book is full of adventure and surprise and in true Astrid Lindgren fashion a story of an amazing boy who has an amazing friendship. This is one of those books that I am thrilled to add to our library.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my review. However all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Chelsea M
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shopping-list
I've been trying to find out the title of the charming book from my childhood for some time now, and despite being a big fan of Lindgren, I didn't realise that this was the book until recently.
I will write a longer review when I re-read it, but for now, I don't have much to go on except fond childhood memories.
Laurynas Pikutis
One of the most amazing books for a child to read. First read it when I was seven. after crying my eyes out, and taking 3 days of crying to get through the sad part, I got through it, and read it a million times more!
I certainly recommend it to anyone at their teens, even above, but mostly best for kids..
Great book!
Andrea
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-books
I won this in a GoodReads giveaway.

This was a great read. This was an enjoyable easy read. I think any child would enjoy reading the book. I am so glad I won the book and can pass it along to my kids to read.
Thomas
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading aloud this book for many years to my third grade classes. It celebrates the love and need children have for their parents. The plot is well written and includes good guys and bad as well as cops and robbers! It has a most wonderful ending . My students always love this story.
Lisa
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure exactly why, but I absolutely LOVED this book as a child -- must have read and re-reat it dozens of times. And re-reading it again as an adult, I found it equally charming -- maybe because of all the good memories it evoked.
Zoe
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand why this fabulous book by the Pippi Longstocking author isn't much better known, and why it is only available second hand. It's such a good book! Funny, meaty, compassionate, charming, not without sadness. Absolutely excellent.
G.
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second reading of this was better than the first. Replete with nice little views of the Swedish countryside and spicy language, eg "blithering idiot", for the youngsters. Lindgren's is a gentle realism.
Kathy Moberg
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book decades ago and am so happy to see that it is back in print! Astrid Lindgren could sure tell a great story!
Chelsey
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my all-time favorite book as a kid.
Erin Hatch
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A wonderful, delightful read with a sweet ending. I remember to this day my elementary school teacher reading this to our class, and loving every minute of it.
Radina Simeonova
That's the book of my childhood! :)
Agnieszka
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great one, but not as perfect as Ronja or the Bullerby kids
Goodreads Librari...: Change cover photo, add information 5 25 Apr 24, 2018 12:42PM

• Armer Pettersson
  • Sipsik
  • Nukitsamees
  • Kadri
  • Viplala lood
  • When the Robbers Came to Cardamom Town
  • Kunksmoor. Kunksmoor ja Kapten Trumm
  • Londiste, õige nimega Vant
  • Eight Children and a Truck (Eight Children, #1)
  • Gummi-Tarzan
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards: