Start by marking “Engraved (The St. Croix Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Engraved (The St. Croix Chronicles, #5)

Engraved

(The St. Croix Chronicles #5)

Cherry St. Croix returns to the fog-ridden streets of Victorian London, where the balance of power threatens all that she loves.

I will not wither without laudanum. Sober and determined, I have chosen another way— alchemy, and the pursuit of wellness it embodies. My name is Cherry St. Croix, and though freedom is finally at my fingertips, I return to the blackened streets i
Published August 11th 2014 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Engraved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engraved

Jess the Romanceaholic
This book, nay, this entire series, has been such a roller coaster thus far, and I for one love it.

I take notes as I read so that when it comes time to write these reviews, I’ll (hopefully) be able to form somewhat coherent sentences. Yet, when I glance over my notes for this installment, I find that it’s mostly filled with expletives, excited exclamation points, quite a bit of angry underlining, and, well, even more colorful expletives. That, in turn, pretty much sums up my feelings in reading
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Cherry's life is finally on the upswing in Engraved! The last two books in the series were brutal for Cherry and her sanity, but she's finally starting to pull herself back together here (with a little help from her friends). She's left the tar and her collecting days behind her and is now learning alchemy and is hell-bent on saving the enigmatic Micajah Hawke from the Karakash veil.

I am not Hawke's biggest fan, especially as a romantic f
Kara-karina
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I admit I am prejudiced about anything concerning this series, so my rating is a tad higher than it could have been, but I can't help it. I enjoy it way too much!

This time Cherry is coming back to London determined to take on the Karakash Veil and help the friends she left behind when Ashmore took her away to his estate to get clean from her years of drug abuse.

All I'm saying, get ready for a lot of action. A LOT. It's pretty much non-stop and it gets confusing because sometimes Cherry's trail o
Shelley
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I received this book from NetGalley/Carina Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Steampunk, Romance
*Rating* 4

*My Thoughts*

In the Fifth installment of The St. Croix Chronicles, Engraved, Cherry and her guardian Oliver Ashmore, have returned to a very different London from the one they left five months ago. Cherry is attempting to remain clean from Opium and laudanum addiction, while focusing her energy on learni
Cassandra
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This just keeps getting better and better!

Hopefully there're another 5 coming.
Trixiter Marczak
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is "I LOVE HAWKE!"
Jane Brownsey
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best ending with more to come

I’ve enjoyed every book so far; I normally only read historical novels whether fiction or not, so this genre was not my usual type at all—but I’m glad that I have!
Juliet
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-books
Obligatory shark jumping.
Lisa
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Note: the review below will likely contain mild(ish) spoilers for previous books. Proceed with caution if you haven’t read them yet!

There is nothing in the world quite like finding a series you love absolutely. Better yet is finding one that immediately feels like sitting down with a familiar story, told often and well, yet which still manages to surprise and make you think things over. I’ve done just that with Karina Cooper’s Cherry St Croix series, and the more I think it over the more impress
Tina
The streets of London low are changing, and the Veil is slowly taking charge. Something is killing the members of the Brick Street Bakers in gruesome ways, and it will take Cherry and Ashmore deeper into the pursuit of alchemy.
Melanie
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
You can read can also read the review here

Engraved is the 5th book of The St. Croix Chronicles and finds Cherry back in London, laudanum free. She has been joined by her mentor/lover/guardian Ashmore to rescue the enigmatic Micajah Hawke. The London that she has returned to, free of the fugue of heroin, is not what she was expecting. Everywhere she turns her friends and loved ones are victims of the changes that the Karakash Veil has spearheaded since she
Margaret
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-won
4.5 stars.

Cherry St. Croix fled London—having lost her home, her husband and her best friend—to spend several months in the countryside recovering from her opium addiction and studying alchemy. Now she finally feels well enough to return to save the object of her obsession, Micajah Hawke, from servitude to the mysterious Karakesh Veil, whether he wants to be saved or not. But she finds London drastically changed from the city she left.

The Midnight Menagerie has become darker, even trafficking c
Talk Supe
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Allez hop!

Phase 1 of Cherry's comeback is done and it was explosive! The previous two books before ENGRAVED has been brutal for Cherry, her life has been turned upside down and thanks to Ashmore, Cherry's back on her feet with the sole purpose of rebuilding it with a solid foundation this time. No more opium-filled days and nights and she's coming for Micajah Hawke, the infamous Menagerie/Veil ringmaster/tiger, to free him from the Veil and claim him once an for all as hers.

I love the role reve
Britt Marczak
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sooo first of all, this is necessary:

OH MY HAWKE, THIS BOOK! THIS BOOK!!!! *more flailing*

This is the book I've been waiting for all series long. I knew I would love it as soon as I read the dedication. I am ded. Ded of such good feels I thought impossible in this series' world.

Okay, I'm going to try to make a little sense here. Try being the key word

I've loved each subsequent book in this series more than the last, and that's something that's very difficult to pull off in any kind of series, le
Beth

Cooper creates a spellbinding, dark fantasy that will leave you clinging to the pages.

Cherry is back in London after her forced sobriety. Dealing with life without the senses fogged by laudanum, Cherry is faced with unfamiliar broiling emotions and fears. Determined to save Hawke, she must push past those fears and emotions and tackle the Menagerie head on.

Engraved takes us to a new world, where magic, alchemical arts, power and greed invade a steampunk Victorian London. The story is complex wit
Krista
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I was tempted to get this book at two but since I am begrudgingly interested enough to read the next book, I had to bump it up to the three. In this latest installment of Cherry St. Croix's misadventures, we spend three quarters of the book dashing around, almost being badass and then fleeing dangerous situations.

Cherry is determined to save the man from whom she just can't take a hint. I had really hoped about three books ago that at some point I would like Cage's character. I mean, at the masq
D.F. Jules
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Suleikha Snyder
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
The latest in Cooper's St. Croix Chronicles has so many pay-offs that readers will be pumping their fists and going "Yes!" -- if they can put their e-reader down long enough, that is.

Freshly sober after her opium detox in the country, accompanied by her mysterious benefactor and determined to save Micajah Hawke from the clutches of the Karakash Veil, Cherry St. Croix is a stubborn force to be reckoned with. And those, like yours truly, who have been discomfited by Cherry's narrow worldview will
Pkelsay
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Our hero is more sympathetic now that she is more reliable, both to her readers as a witness and actor in her story, as well as to her friends and family. The author does a good job with the bittersweet treatment of loss of childhood; the protagonist loses both some of her remaining innocence and her past baggage. The whole series could be labeled as a coming of age story, but this novel, out of all in the series, has the most of that flavor.

Much of the mystery of the Veil/Menagerie is solved i
Linda
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cherry is back in London, after her exiled time away sobering up, and shes back with a vengeance, to finally take a stand against the Veil and make an effort in trying to rescue the reluctant Hawke.
But the London she returns to has changed, and old threats have grown stronger.
Will she be able to spring Hawke from the Veils clutches, and at what price to her friends?
Steampunk romance, action, suspense and smutty fluff in an awesome combo, and I just cant wait to get my hands at the next book!!
Michelle Leah Olson
Another masterful ST CROIX CHRONICLE book my Ms. Cooper. I simply can't get enough of these books and am a little scared because this installment could go either way - it could be the finale, or it could be the start of even more greatness.

I ADORE these books, I can't even tell you how much, but when a new one comes out I have to drop everything and do a full night read until it's done. This one was no exception.

--Full review to come...
Dr susan
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-again
I admit I think Cherry should choose Ashmore; the man deserves some reward for putting up with her 'too stupid to live' stunts. That said, Engraved is a darkly thrilling tale that reminds me of the Fu Manchu books by Sax Rohmer that I read as a young teenager. Cooper makes her slant on those books even better by giving me an imperfect female heroine.
Liz
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
What an ending *swoon* took us long enough though...
Gamine1
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Terrified going in that this was the last in the series because I adore it...loved the ending and I can't wait to read the next minute in this London.
Halley
Feb 27, 2015
Jelena
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gilded Hearts (The Shadow Guild, #1)
  • The Kraken King and the Empress's Eyes (Iron Seas, #4.7; Kraken King, #7)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • The Damsel and the Daggerman (Blud, #2.5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Skies of Gold (The Ether Chronicles, #5)
  • Sunset Rush (The NOVA Trilogy, Book 3)
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • By Fire Above (Signal Airship, #2)
  • The Fall of Gods (A Welcome to the Underworld Novel, #2)
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • Sociopath: Legacy (Sociopath, #2)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
After writing happily ever afters for all of her friends in school, Karina Cooper eventually grew up (sort of), went to work in the real world (kind of), where she decided that making stuff up was way more fun (true!). She is the author of dark and sexy paranormal romance, steampunk urban fantasy, and writes across multiple genres with mad glee.

One part glamour, one part dork and all imagination,

The St. Croix Chronicles (6 books)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • Tempered (The St. Croix Chronicles, #4)
  • Transmuted (The St. Croix Chronicles, #6)