Start by marking “The Docker Book: Containerization is the new virtualization” as Want to Read:
The Docker Book: Containerization is the new virtualization

The Docker Book: Containerization is the new virtualization

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  589 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A new book designed for SysAdmins, Operations staff, Developers and DevOps who are interested in deploying the open source container service Docker.

In this book, we'll will walk you through installing, deploying, managing, and extending Docker. We're going to do that by first introducing you to the basics of Docker and its components. Then we'll start to use Docker to bui
Kindle Edition, 1, 246 pages
Published July 12th 2014 by James Turnbull

To ask other readers questions about The Docker Book, please sign up.
Monkalways You can run some of the examples in the book with Docker for Windows, but some examples can only be run on one of the Linux distributions.

Jelena K
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imagine that You have only two days to learn Docker from scratch. Sounds impossible? Oh no. This book is an excellent solution for widening Your knowledge.

You will follow best practices and also working with real examples. But there is one sad thing.. There are too much pages devoted to introduction and installation. I skipped at least 70 pages.. :)
Konstantin Root
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone starting to use Docker - it will cover all aspects and will teach you to work with Docker *right way*.
Book is kept up-to-date with latest releases, at least right now ;)
César Bustíos
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Containerization is the new virtualization

Indeed, it is! Docker is a game-changer and an amazing tool we all should be taking advantage of. It completely changes the way we build and ship software.

James Turnbull did a great job at getting someone to learn Docker in a precise and concise way. It was a quick read, a great introduction full of examples and information. The downside is that most parts are already outdated (but that's my fault for waiting so much to read it).

Recommended.
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Project focused and highly detailed.
Kevin Lambert
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book if you are new to Docker. When I started reading it, I had heard of Docker, but I didn't really have a grasp on what containerization was, or how it could be useful. This book changed that. It provided extremely useful hands-on examples of how to get Docker working and some of the many different use-cases for it. You will start by installing Docker, then building simple images and containers. You will learn how to connect your containers through Docker Networking. Yo ...more
Vedran
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dev-ops
The book starts from how to install and configure the Docker Engine, proceeding with explanations of concepts involved and then explaining how to build/orchestrate your own containers.

Each covered Docker feature is explained and then demonstrated on an example guiding the reader through each step along the way. Covered topics include: essential Docker commands, working with Dockerfiles, Docker registries, dockerizing various [simple] applications which use other containerized services (e.g. Red
Yiorgos Adamopoulos
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am unsure as to how to characterize the book. The author makes an honest effort to make it a good introduction to a complex thing like docker is, but to me it is unclear who the audience is: System Administrators who need to learn the basics of docker containers and a bit of orchestration, or developers who need to learn to build systems to work with docker and have never seen it before?
Vincent Zhu
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the primer and comprehensive book to get me into the wonderful ecosystem, I read it twice actually with latest revision, it's suitable for everyone who wants to apply docker in production and dev. Also, it's worthy for somebody who just want to keep relevant and updated.
vijender thakur
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice

The basics are very well explained . Initial chapters are too good. This book is one pit stop for learning the basics of Docker
Pedro Duarte
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good and concise introduction to Docker.
Andrew George
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got me started

A well written introduction to the world of Docker. I would recommend to anyone looking to move from VM based infrastructure.
Manuel Garcia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Quite technical but a good guide / Lab to learn about containers and its orchestration. Better with a computer side.
Sitdhibong Laokok
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
นำเยอะไปหนอย ...more
Nikolay
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good introduction to Docker with some concrete use cases you can apply in your everyday work.
Omar
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books about the topic. Very concise and informative
Ops Guy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great insight into docker for newbies.
Jascha
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Docker here, Docker there. Anyone keeping himself up to date with the latest bells and whistles has seen that blue whale logo and heard talking about containers. This increase in popularity resulted in Amazon itself offering EC2 instances with direct support for containers, as well as several titles dedicated to the subject hitting the shelves. Among them is The Docker Book by James Turnbull, a name that should ring the bell to anyone into Puppet and automation in general, a real gem for anyone ...more
Shaun Mouton
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners with Docker
The Docker Book does a great job at a very difficult task - getting someone up and running with a set of technologies that's a very fast-moving target. I'm not one of the folks who ran Docker in production pre-1.0 (didn't have a good use case for it at the time) but I was testing it so much of the content is more than a little familiar to me. From that perspective, I understand the criticism that some folks have (that they would have liked a deeper dive). I'm not sure that any deep dive would re ...more
Mehdi Hasan
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointingly introductory for (former) VP of Services of Docker Inc. as the author (but it was probably my fault because I bought the it few months after already running docker on production). The official documentation, webinars and blog posts from early adopters do the job of introducing docker fairly well.

Docker is interesting in a way that despite being quite new, the community came up with lots of good ideas and slightly different implementations of various parts, thanks to docker's plu
Vincent Stoessel
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech-books
This book suffers the same problem as any book on emerging technologies that it's already somewhat dated the moment it is printed on the paper. In spite of that I found this book an excellent starting point for learning my way around this wonderful "what old is new again" technology. Docker is more than just a few commands to learn, it's an rich ecosystem that facilitates granular application level deployment. To the Java veterans who are accustomed to the standard war/ear package and deploy to ...more
Dave Golombek
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Quick read, I was mostly interested in his sections on running docker inside docker (Jenkins in base, then sub-dockers for running tests) and his thoughts on running distributed systems inside of docker containers. Everything here is pretty clear and concise, I thought his last chapter on securing access to containers was a bit of a mess, but that's not really his fault, but rather how complicated certs are to set up. I wish he'd talked more about service discovery with docker containers, especi ...more
Biblioworm
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Очень обидно - автор явно в теме, и мог бы рассказать много интересного.

Но фактически эта книга - просто реклама докера, показывающая на простеньких примерах, как его использовать.

То, что автор не пытался превратить книгу в справочник по командам - хорошо, это всегда бессмысленно, особенно учитывая как быстро последние годы развивался докер, книге просто не успеть за документацией.
Но жаль, что он не рассказал о каких-то интересных подходах с использованием, нюансах, особенностях внутреннего устр
Elias
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice book to learn how to use and work with Docker, gets you up to speed pretty quickly.

First half is pretty great, the last few chapters felt a little bit rushed. I often have this feeling when reading technical books, not sure if is a perception thing or if most technical authors do rush to finish. =)

Anyway, I had already toyed around with Docker a little bit before, but after reading the first chapters I felt much more empowered to use it -- so, it was a good ROI for me.
Rich Daley
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A great introduction to an amazingly revolutionary concept in DevOps.

I've become very excited about Docker since reading it, and coupled with Fig it solves for me the age-old problem of keeping all my development environments completely isolated.

It gets 3 stars because it's very much an introduction. I'd like to see more discussion about deploying in production (e.g. in Elastic Beanstalk) and also about security between Docker containers. But I'm sure I can find this info online!
Andreas Manessinger
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my, time runs fast in that arena. "The Docker Book" is a really good book about an interesting and rapidly changing technology, but that's also the problem. The last 20% of the book are an introduction to docker orchestration technologies, and that whole part is already completely outdated. You get an idea about what people talk about, what the issues are (or were), but when you're done working through it, the world has moved on. It's tedious sometimes :)
Richard Magahiz
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: software developers, IT professionals
This is a straightforward tour through the concepts and usage of this popular containerization package based on linux containers, nothing too fancy. I'd like it better if there were a little discussion of best practices and of the way docker works in conjunction with (or as partial replacement of) configuration management tools and devops, or maybe the way they can facilitate the workflow between development and testing.
Nico
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it
A great way to get started with the Docker Containerization system, unfortunately in the fast moving world of Open Source software there are parts of the book that is already out of date, like the "linking containers" that has been deprecated in favor of Overlay Network in the latest Docker Release 1.9.x in November 2015.

For me using this book in conjunction with the official online documentation helped me get productive in moving a large framework to Docker..

Peter Sellars
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
More than a mere introduction to Docker - this book will get you up and running fast. Great examples throughout the book including how to use volumes, link containers and even how to contribute back to the Docker project. If you are new to Docker or even want some insider advice this is well worth reading.
Fernando Fernandes
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really nice book on Docker. Well-written, straight to the point, hands-on approach. I wish all technical books followed this or a similar didactic pattern. It loses one star for not porting its eBook version to the iPhone (yes, this is a big deal nowadays). Other than that, if for some reason you need to use/learn Docker, you should start here.
Peter Kahn
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read but I can't say that's because or writing or the power of #docker containers. Looks like a profoundly powerful tool for dev, qa, ops, and release engineering. Clean up tasks vanish as instantiation of a fully functional system, harvest of its necessary data and easy disposal are all built-in.

Orchestration of complex environments also seems fairly straight forward.
  • Becoming a Better Programmer
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Vagrant: Up and Running
  • Jenkins: The Definitive Guide
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
  • Learning Spark
  • Docker: Up & Running: Shipping Reliable Containers in Production
  • Java Se8 for the Really Impatient: A Short Course on the Basics
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • In Search of Certainty: The Science of Our Information Infrastructure
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Ruby Under a Microscope
“A union mount is a mount that allows several filesystems to be mounted at one time but appear to be one filesystem. The union mount overlays the filesystems on top of one another so that the resulting filesystem may contain files and subdirectories from any or all of the underlying filesystems.” 0 likes
“If you need to run multiple processes or commands as part of starting a container you should use a service management tool like Supervisor.” 0 likes