Start by marking “Croatia: A Nation Forged in War; Second Edition (Yale Nota Bene)” as Want to Read:
Croatia: A Nation Forged in War; Second Edition (Yale Nota Bene)

Croatia: A Nation Forged in War; Second Edition (Yale Nota Bene)

In this book an eyewitness to the breakup of Yugoslavia provides the first full and impartial account of the rise, fall, and rebirth of Croatia from its medieval origins to today's tentative peace. Marcus Tanner describes the turbulence and drama of Croatia's past and - drawing on his own experience and interviews with many of the leading figures in Croatia's conflict - ex ...more
Published September 10th 2001 by Yale University Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Croatia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Croatia

SpaceBear
This book provides a concise overview of the history of conflict in Croatia, as well as broader conflicts in the Croatian region from a Croatian perspective. Marcus Tanner adopts a descriptive approach in this book, seeking to weave a narrative discussing the political and military intrigue in the country from the time that the ancestors of modern Croatians first migrated to the region in the 7th century. The book is divided into twenty chapters, the first of which describes the control of the r ...more
Mike
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a clear, concise overview of croatia's turbulent history. good coverage of croatian self-identity & its evolution over the years.
Brody Wilson
The most thorough exploration of the history of Croatia I have encountered. Because of this, it was a very difficult read, but it helped tremendously with my "Pan-Slavism" paper for my senior seminar class.
Mark
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As has been mentioned, this book is comprehensive. A consequence of this is that in exchange for not being twice its length, it's written briskly and is going to leave you behind if you're not at least a little bit already familiar with the people and moments in Croatian history that are outlined here. You need to do a little bit of homework before picking this book up.

But I would suggest that, particularly for someone interested in a text that provides a "Croatian point-of-view", it will be wor
Bob Newman
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Long-time Minor Leaguer Steps up to Plate, Hits Homer"

We start in the dim past of Slavic tribes moving into the dark realms of the collapsed Roman empire, Christianizing and warding off (sometimes unsuccessfully) the Byzantine rulers from the southeast. Then we move rapidly through the long period of Hungarian rule, coupled with the Venetian hold on the Dalmatian coast, and Turkish occupation. The lands that make up Croatia today long served as a frontier for the Hapsburg Empire and the Hungari
Dewey
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Croatia has become a more well known land these days due mainly to tourism (not to mention Game of Thrones has given the city of Dubrovnik a welcome albeit unnecessary bump in awareness). But for most people in the West, their knowledge of Croatia stops either there or a little further back with the Balkan conflict of the 90's. It did for too, despite having Croatian heritage. At some point the ignorance of my own heritage was getting on my nerves and so I got ahold of this book, which looked li ...more
James Alexander
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In preparation for a vacation in Croatia, I thought I’d pick up a book to familiarize myself with the country. I was surprised to find that this book was a remarkably fascinating and complete history of Croatia - and actually of a lot of European History!

Turns out that Croatia has been mixed up in conflicts between the Hapsburgs, Italians and Ottomans throughout history - as well as 19th century revolutions, World Wars, and of course the Balkan Wars of the 1990s. This book finally gave me a way
Gabo
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been interested in the Balkans as it is a complicated area and thanks to this book I was able to get a little better understanding of it. There were times when the names of important figures got mixed up for me but overall it gave me a better understanding of the origins of what we now know as Croatia. I started reading this before my trip to Zagreb and I do have to say it made my stay there more interesting and fascinating. I would definitely recommend this book.
Les Reynolds
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So dense, and hard to keep track of all the different people involved. For the amount of history that it covers, it is reasonably readable. I'm glad to have read it.
ShuT
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for learning a history of one country, this is quite good.
Mike
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since i grew up there, and beign there during the war, i can't agree with all the facts this author has produced.
Caroline Cantner
This book was very thorough to the point of being quite dry. It was a "classic" approach to history: key political and military figures, political and military strategies, etc. It took a lot to get through but I did feel that I got a very in-depth introduction to the Croatian region ahead of a recent vacation I took to the area.
Damir Marusic
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
It's a good historical overview, probably the best in the English language, but it's not particularly original in its scholarship. Nevertheless, another worthy book to read on the Balkans, if you're interested in the region.
Chas Tomac
This book covers the history of Croatia but the earliest history to the last war in 1994.
Meredith
Hard to read
Charts would be helpful to sort out the different political parties and main players.
Sanja
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. Well-written, relevant, interesting, impressive.
Recommended for if you want to know more about the country and its history.
Matt Lafortune
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detailed and well-researched history of a nation that has grown up at the crossroads of empires. Good place to start to learn about Croatia's complex history.
John Holck

Greatly improved my knowledge of Andrea's current country of residence. Croatian and Balkan history is quite a tangle.
Liz Wager
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, highly readable history of Croatia. A tiny step (for me) in understanding this complex but wonderful part of the world.
Myriam
  • Kosovo: A Short History
  • Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation
  • The Persians: Ancient, Mediaeval and Modern Iran
  • Examining Tuskegee: The Infamous Syphilis Study and Its Legacy
  • Inventing Eastern Europe: The Map of Civilization on the Mind of the Enlightenment
  • The Colonizer's Model of the World: Geographical Diffusionism and Eurocentric History
  • The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia (Yale Nota Bene)
  • Monkeys Are Made of Chocolate: Exotic and Unseen Costa Rica
  • Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year
  • Cannae
  • Political Parties
  • The Making of Europe: Conquest, Colonization, and Cultural Change, 950-1350
  • Soar with Your Strengths: A Simple Yet Revolutionary Philosophy of Business and Management