Start by marking “Forever for a Year” as Want to Read:
Forever for a Year

Forever for a Year

When Carolina and Trevor meet on their first day of school, something draws them to each other.  They gradually share first kisses, first touches, first sexual experiences.  When they’re together, nothing else matters. But one of them will make a choice, and the other a mistake, that will break what they thought was unbreakable. Both will wish that they could fall in love ...more
Published July 7th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Forever for a Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever for a Year

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Aug 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
"I like girls, Carolina. Well, one girl. See?" And I grabbed her hand and put it on my penis.

description

I should've known that this book won't be for me. My fault, really.
Ryan
*I really did not enjoy this book. However, you might like it, so give it a chance!
---
If you wanna read about annoying high school freshman who repeatedly make stupid decisions, and talk nonstop about how much they love each other until you want to gag, then this book might be for you.

In a way, this is a smart book because (I think) it’s a commentary on how ridiculous first loves/high school relationships are. I can applaud Gottfred on that. But all the story does is focus on Carolina and Trevo
B.T. Gottfred
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I give (almost) all books on here five stars so I guess that allows me to give my book five stars, too;)

To you, fine lover of books, no matter if you love Carolina and Trevor or not, thank you for your passion for the written word. As the world evolves, the inner dialogue we have inside our own minds – and with the fictional characters we allow inside there with us – will only become more vital to ensure that the advancement of consciousness outpaces all else.

Lastly, I'd like -- OH MY GOSH IS
Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)

Disclaimer: This book chat will have spoilers of FOREVER FOR A YEAR by B.T. Gottfred.

I considered writing this as a review, but I can't. There's just too much I need to cover and this is less a review on a book and more my thoughts/commentary on this ... thing. FOREVER FOR A YEAR consumed my life for the better part of 2 weeks last month.

It was all I thought about. I read and re-read it. This book even inspired a new term:

Bookholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, is a psychological phe
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
It's freshman year for Carolina, formerly just Carrie, and she wants to start fresh alongside Peggy, her best friend. With the help of Peggy's older sister, Katherine, who just so happens to be the most popular girl in school, they can break out of their nerdy status and become "it" girls as well. That is if Carolina is willing to take orders from Katherine, resident mean girl and all around bad person. In walks new kid, Trevor, who is not only good looking, but actually shows some attention to ...more
Lena ♫ ♪
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Are kids nowadays really having sex at 14? That seems so young, right? Or maybe I'm simply old and times are changing?

At any rate, this isn't the reason I'm giving the book 1 star. I just couldn't stand the two main characters and constantly felt annoyed by one or the other. The writing was okay, but characters make or break a book, and these two broke it for me. I understand being young and stupid, not listening to your parents because you feel so self-assured, but these two teens were just...
Stephanie • Ideally Inspired
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
In the words of Steph O'Neil: I am going to go out on a limb, and say that I am NOT a part of the target audience for this book.

I don't really know what the author's overall message was with this book, but I found myself oftentimes confused, appalled, and quite often turned off by the unrealistic portrayal of "awkward teens" who are beginning to explore the complexities of romance, and sexual exploration.

Quite often, I'd ask myself "Is this author serious?" or "What young teen boy/girl talks l
Fay
Forever for a Year paints a picture of what it’s like to be a teen nowadays–relationships start and end in a snap, more friendship and family conflicts arise, and finding out who you are turns out to be the hardest thing ever. But our dear characters, Carolina and Trevor, have survived. They just learned the hard way.

Full review on my book blog: https://bibliophilesoprano.wordpress....
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
What a delightful, sad, thought provoking book. B. T. Gottfred has managed to take the tart (and sometimes bitter) taste of life and wrap it in the sweetness of something we all know well - our first year of high school.

At first, this book is just ridiculous. It is told via the stream of consciousness from a fourteen year old girl. Carrie has decided she will now be known as Carolina - pronounced car-o-leen-ah, because she is now grown up and no longer a baby in junior high school. We start with
Krystianna
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. I couldn't put it down, but I'm really upset about the last 20% because that ending was not what I wanted to happen at all! Full review to come soon.

Updated June 10, 2015

**Thank you to Henry Holt & Co. for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

I had been anticipating the release of Forever For a Year for quite a long time, so when I saw it on Netgalley, I got extremely excited and instantly started reading it.

I was thrown into the wonderful e
Jessica T
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt that the storyline was amazing and the chemistry between Trevor and Carolina was great and passionate. Trevor's suffering and deep thought were logical and really bright the character to life. But I found Carolina annoying and immature. I felt that reading her side of the story was like reading a 5th grader texting her friend... It almost seemed like all of her dialogue was her thought just spewing out of control in a way that made no sense. If that's how they think freshmen speak, think ...more
Aneta Bak
Apr 07, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, netgalley
DNF at 30%

I started this book once and gave up, then I read a different book by the author and managed to get through that one, so I decided to come back to this book.

Every time I start this book I keep thinking that I’m way too old for it. Its the way that the characters behave and talk. I just found them to be unintelligent and extremely annoying. I don’t want to make fun of 14 year olds here, but do they all act like this? I sure didn’t when I was their age…

Maybe if I enjoyed the characters m
Payton Walgenbach
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely breathtaking. It was beautiful and one of my favorites. I was so attached to the book I wanted it to never end, and when it did, I was torn. The end was so beautiful I cried.
Veronica of V's Reads
3.5 Stars.

Carolina and Trevor are starting freshman year of high school in Riverbend, IL, a fictional town nestled into the North/Northwest side of Chicago. This is the kind of town with wealth disparity--haves and have nots.

Trevor's family has recently moved from LA to join his mother's family--his Gram and uncle still reside in his mother's hometown. He lives with his mom, dad and 7-y/o sister who is precocious and means the world to Trevor. just over a year ago his mother had a botched suic
Monica Murphy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I see a lot of reviews for this book that say the characters are too immature but I really loved it. Felt real. Cos 14-16 year olds can be...very immature. I really loved Trevor especially. Ah teen love....
Michelle
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**There needs to be more books like Forever For a Year. This book is so good, that I am sure my review will not do it justice. It is a story of first love, and the realization that even if we really want it to, that it may not last forever. I heart the heck out of this book. It made me feel every range of emotion, and I had to put it down multiple times just because I didn't want to finish it. I wanted to savor Forever ...more
Dee Price
When Carolina meets the new boy, Trevor, they are instantly drawn to one another. And although their friends initially try to keep them apart, they soon become the school's coolest freshman couple. Throughout the course of the year, they experience first kisses, first love, first sexual experiences, and first heartbreaks. Carolina and Trevor truly love each other, but mistakes, betrayal, and guilt threaten to shatter their perfect world.

I liked this book, but to be honest about 1/2 way through i
Read InAGarden
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Carolina and Trevor meet and almost instantly they feel they are soul mates - destined to be together forever. But that is a lot to take on for two teens barely in 9th grade and as young teens they begin to go through the ups and downs of school, family and a very intense relationship together. They experience all their firsts together but and are each jumbled up inside at what everything might mean. Gottfred nails the inner-workings of the 9th grade mind and social structure. So many teen books ...more
Stacee
DNF at 26%

I really liked the idea of this premise, but I struggled with what I read.

Carolina and Trevor are very whiny and their age definitely comes across in their voice. Her inner monologue is full of things like debating whether or not she's madly in love with Trevor after he friend requested her on FB and swearing she's having a heart attack because BFF's sister talked to him. On the other hand, Trevor liked Carolina, but decides to declare her ugly and worthless because his friends and co
Michelle
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
3.5 A story of first love at 15, the characters of Carolina and Trevor were well drawn, and going through real teenager stuff with starting high school, friends changing and parent issues. Maybe the oft-repeated stream of consciousness writing meant to reflect the way their thoughts and feelings came fast and furious, which is a great reflection of reality, but at times it was hard to read (especially at the beginning.) You can see the characters growing and while their first love and passion is ...more
Hayley
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully honest and authentic book about teen first love. See my full review here.

Jazmen
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Gah. This book. I am amazed by myself. I pat myself on the back for finishing it. Because man, it was touch and go quite a few times.

Let's just get to this. This book is clearly for someone in their very early teens. I couldn't appreciate this book. I am too old. It wasn't the love, or the fact that it was young love because duh, I read YA. But this had to be one of the most angsty books I've ever read in YA.

Teens are insecure, heck adults are insecure. People are just insecure, some of us, of
Terri Robinette
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Total and honest glimpse into the mind of a high school student. For me, it made me shudder and remind me that I am so glad not to have to go through the experience again. The heartfelt I love yous, the best friend drama, the strive for popularity and trying to fit in, the heartaches, the peer pressure, the raging hormones - yep, this book covers it all. It bounces back and forth between the female lead and the male lead giving the reader an insight into what each are thinking and feeling. A lit ...more
Mrs. Luettchau
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This book alternates between two characters who meet and fall in love in their freshmen year of high school. The characters in this book started out really annoying, but then they grew on me when I remembered they're supposed to be silly, immature freshmen in high school. As the book goes on, their voices did mature slightly, which made it more bearable to read. The book covers mature topics, so I don't know if actual freshmen are mature enough to handle it.
Emily
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Once Upon a Twilight
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Carolina is wanting to recreate the image that her junior high days have created of her. Trevor is the new kid who wants to have a normal life. When the two meet their chemistry is undeniable, but they fall into the traps of high school. Cliques and drama, all they want is each other but they are not quite sure if the other really is wanting the same thing.

I am a sucker for a good romance, and that is what kept me reading. I honestly felt like I was a little too old to be reading this book thoug
Abbie
Yes, I admit the story was narrated poorly but I could not help but relate with the first love drama. Your first (true) love is overwhelming and it can literally turn the smartest people into complete trainwrecks. I was teary-eyed at the end because we all know that not everyone is lucky enough to end up with their first love --- especially at the age of 14. But yeah, this book made me reminisce about my own heartbreaks and how amazing it had been. *Sigh* The feels.
Kyra
Jul 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-arcs
I kinda want to read this but also kinda want to not read this since it features some teens my age having sex *cringes*

But I feel Yoda's voice in my head..

Damn, Yoda.
Heidi
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Man. This *author* .... ya know?

I *swear* he has the pulse of today's youth, yesterday's youth and tomorrow's youth, too. I have never finished a YA book to such a satisfying conclusion because it ended exactly how he made me hope it would.

First love never dies. And I like that.

I must add- I appreciate this author's ability to present teen sexuality in such a straight-forward, teen-believable, uncomplicated-in-all-its-complicated-facets, non-judgmental manner. I love this author's work and fir
Devin
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • Month of Sundays
  • The Summer Invitation
  • Zombie Abbey
  • Over Raging Tides (Lady Pirates, #1)
  • Our Brothers at the Bottom of the Bottom of the Sea
  • Love & Profanity
  • When You Leave
  • Son of Interflux
  • Rampage at Waterloo (Battlesaurus, #1)
  • Finding Someplace
  • The Light that Gets Lost
  • Everybody Knows Your Name
  • Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1)
B. T. Gottfred is an author, playwright, and—ooh, look there, behind you . . . no, you're right, never mind—director.

His first-ish novel, “Forever for a Year”, was released July 2015 by Macmillan/Holt. His second-ish novel, “The Nerdy and The Dirty” arrived November 2016 from Mac/Holt. His third book, "The Handsome Girl and Her Beautiful Boy", debuts May, 2018.