Start by marking “Moone Boy: The Blunder Years” as Want to Read:
Moone Boy: The Blunder Years

Moone Boy: The Blunder Years (Moone Boy #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  640 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Martin Moone is eleven and completely fed up with being the only boy in a family of girls. He's desperate for a decent wingman to help him navigate his idiotic life. So when best mate Padraic suggests Martin get an imaginary friend—or "IF" for short—he decides to give it a go.
His first attempt is Loopy Lou, a hyperactive goofball who loves writing rubbish rap songs. But M
Published May 5th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends (first published October 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Moone Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moone Boy

Mikayla
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite this book being laid out alot like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, I'm surprised I didn't enjoy it.

I know I'm far too old to be reading this, but sometimes it's nice to have a quick and easy read. I found that the characters were all annoying and I didn't really want to read it.

Luckily I managed to get through this book after such a long time reading it. I can unfortunately only give this book 2 stars.
Jen
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here's your fair WARNING: I am a fan of Chris O'Dowd and thoroughly enjoyed the TV version of Moone Boy, so I might just be a wee bit biased.

Imaginary friends are a common staple of a child as they grow up and learn to cope with life on their own...sort of.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Chris O'Dowd and Nick V. Murphy's Moone Boy: The Blunder Years brings to life on the page the characters and some of the introductory situations d
Bluerose's  Heart
May 19, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
This one just wasn't for me. It's not one I'll be keeping around for my boys, either.

From reading around, it appears this book is a prequel to the HULU show, Moone Boy, which I haven't watched.

To start with, there's a great deal of footnotes, which bugged me to no end. You'll be reading along, and come to a word with an asterisk beside it. Knowing there's a note at the bottom of the page about that word, you'll feel the need to go ahead and read it. Then you'll have to go back and settle into th
Niamh Mchugh
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Quite good, slow moving.
Kendra
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
That was ridiculous, and really well read in the audiobook. It may not have been perfect for me, but I know the perfect people for it, and will be recommending it asap.

The definition footnotes are the best part and I love them.

The fact that this was apparently written as revenge upon his sister makes everything crystal clear. Obviously a lot of affection there now, which was probably not present growing up :D
Hollowspine
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Chris O'Dowd, why are you so awesome? Leave some awesome for the rest of us, you're using it all up, Sir! I have been a fan of pretty much everything O'Dowd has been in, so for me this review is probably biased at best. I guess I'm just a fan of his type of humor.

I had already seen the television series that inspired this book, so I pretty much knew that I was going to enjoy it. I wasn't wrong.

Martin Moone is the youngest and malest kid in the Moone family. Having three older sisters an even ol
Crystal
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My husband brought Martin Moone and his crazy Irish family into my life this past summer and my life has never been the same. I loved this TV show and it brought back so many memories for me because this show felt like The Wonder Years and well that was MY show back in the day. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Martin and Sean had their very own book! I had to have this little gem so I one click bought it and couldn't wait to read more Moone adventures!

This book is exactly like the show. It
Mar 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
I adore Moone Boy! It's such a weird and charming TV series.
Tess
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I vowed for this year to be a year I purposely read books about people living different lives than me, that is people of other races, other religions, people living in other countries, etc. I hoped to learn a bit about Irish culture from this book, while enjoying an entertaining and humorous story. I mostly learned that the way the Eskimo have numerous words for "snow" the Irish have numerous ways to say "having fun." Also numerous ways to call someone an "idiot." This was great on audio, and I' ...more
Natalie TBGWP
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When 11 year old Martin Moone can not stand or cope with the constant accusations, dead legs and arms, and bullying from his three sisters. And that his best friend Padraic can't play out with him over the summer holidays. Bored, bullied, and friendless he decides he needs a co-pilot, a wingman, an imaginary friend to help him out.
Ordering one's not easy, but the lure of a free chocolate fish with a certain if (imaginary friend) in the catalogue makes Martin's decision a lot easier. Enter Loopy
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
O’Dowd, Chris and Murphy, Nick Moone Boy: The Blunder Years, 381 pgs. Feiwel and Friends, 2014. $14.99. Content: Language: PG (No official swears but other things parents wouldn’t like); Mature Content: G (boobs, chest sacks and many more) Violence: G
Martin is a very negative child who has a ton of sisters. His best mate Padraic is constantly busy so Martin is in need of a full time friend. Padraic tells him how to get his very own imaginary friend, but things get out of hand quite quickly. Loop
Aurora Dimitre
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
~This book was won from a Goodreads Giveaway~

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've never even heard of the show, and also with the fact that that is absolutely not a prerequisite to enjoying this book - because I did really enjoy it. It was funny, like, seriously funny - I was snorting with laughter, and I am probably not the target audience.

The book follows Martin Moone, an eleven-year-old who's having some problems trying to get the perfect imaginary friend. And shenanigans. And f
Harun Harahap
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Agak bingung ketika mau kasih tag buku ini. Kira-kira bisa enggak ya ini di-tag buku anak dan remaja. Karena sebenarnya cerita di buku ini, anak-anak sekali. Namun, terkadang bahasanya kasar , malah agak vulgar. Tapi ya sudahlah, kalau mau dibaca anak-anak ya orangtuanya baca duluan deh. Tentuin sendiri, pas enggak buat anaknya.

Namun buat gue, buku ini lucu dan konyol banget. Enggak masuk akal tapi enggak bikin dahi berkerut. Kita malah dibikin ketawa ngakak...
Katie Bliss
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh my word. We listened to this with the kids on our road trip to California. I'm giving it four stars because it was freaking hilarious to hear Chris O'Dowd and Nick Murphy read this book aloud. However, I will say that some of the humor was a bit more mature than my kids needed to hear, so that's a caution to parents. It also is not Disney and doesn't teach your kids to make real friends, but rather to cherish their invisible ones. Hilarious.
Claire O'Brien
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, ireland
It's very funny. What more do you need? I think it certainly helps is you grew up in rural Ireland around the same time he did, as there are so many little details that are spot on, but there are footnotes to help, which actually contain the best jokes. Read it and laugh.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book was funny and weird and made me laugh. I loved the whole Imaginary Friend story though I was slightly disappointed with the outcome. I also loved the distinctly Irish voice and culture that is woven through this book.
Brian
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great, but fun enough. A very Boyle book
Laura Mack
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Characters, language & IFs all annoying & in order for Moone to get protection he needs from bullies, he strikes a deal to offer up one of his sisters to a sexual assault. Not funny.
Matilda
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book but there is one thing that sways me to choose 4 ⭐s because it uses a few rude phrases such as 'Oh Balls!' ...more
Joood Hooligan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of background information: my husband is a huge Chris O’Dowd fan. It’s pretty much to the level of me needed to be actually worried if he showed interest in my husband. But that’s beside the point. Anyway, I found this book at Half Priced Books while I was avoiding a situation I didn’t want to be in. My husband was about to nag me about it, until I showed him this book. And everything was good again.

Okay, so this book was hilarious. I highly recommend it, even if you haven’t seen the serie
Young At Heart Reader
Like with the TV series, I have no idea who this book is for. Definitely not in the kids section where I found it, as there is a decent amount of swearing and the main character being totally okay with letting another kid touch his sister's boobs in order to get protection from bullies. That I could have done without.

Nor could I see a teenager reading it, as it's a bit too juvenile and deals with imaginary friends. It's kind of baffling.

Now there were some things I liked about it, mainly that Ma
Christopher
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
If you're a fan of the Mooney Boy series (and you should be) then you'll enjoy the book. It's basically Sean's origin story and a retelling of the first episode but with some changes here and there. I think the fact I recognized a lot of it from the series mad eit funnier to me because I was able to read it in the voices of the actors.

At any rate, I wish I could have read this to my son because there are quite a few LOL moments in it. Why didn't I, you ask? Because he found them when I brought
Heydi Smith
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a prequel to a TV show called Moone Boy which is an amazing show. That said, unless your Irish or are extra laid back, you probably aren’t going to enjoy this off-the-cuff humor and the wacky scenes in this story. It’s about a kid who falls into misfortune quite often and has an imaginary friend to help him out. In this story he has an imaginary friend named Lou who is no help at all but later he gets a fantastic friend named Sean who really helps him navigate his minefield of a life. Ab ...more
Mr. Southmayd
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I'm unsure why anyone would put this book in the children's section (where I found it), I believe some young teens may find it entertaining and shamefully relatable. Such and entertaining book of innocent foolery and the trouble with imagination.
Katharine
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It wasn't quite what I thought it would be (my fault, not the author) but still enjoyable in a silly way. I think my kid will like it more though so I've passed it along to him.

Entertaining, but not entirely my "cup of coffee" ;)
Ashley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For St. Patrick's Day, I wanted to listen to something read by a good-looking Irishman, and I absolutely loved the tv series Moone Boy, and have been intending to read the books for a while, but last Friday I decided to go for the audiobook instead.

Holy crap it's awesome. While you miss out on the illustrations, you do get Chris O'Dowd as the narrator. This book was adorable and hilarious and super fun to listen to. Gotta get the audio versions of the other books, but only if O'Dowd is still na
TRISHA
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-teen
I’d recommend this book to adults, but not to kids. The usage of “nipple tassels” is not a conversation i’d Like to have with a parent.
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome audio book! Excellent voices for a funny and engaging story!
Zach
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm a big fan of this show, and this was fun, funny, quick read that sets up how the show starts.
Misty Greene
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you loved the TV show and want more here is the place to go, it's a good read.
Moone boy 1 2 Jun 25, 2016 10:54AM
Moone boy 1 2 May 29, 2016 08:54AM
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • Get Real: What Kind of World are YOU Buying?
  • Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar
  • Peanut Butter & Brains: A Zombie Culinary Tale
  • Zombelina
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • Invisible Lines
  • Friends for Life
  • Anyone But Ivy Pocket
  • Now Look What You've Done (Timmy Failure, #2)
  • Darcy Burdock
  • Cakes in Space
  • Flight of the Doves
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • I've Lost My Hippopotamus
  • Seriously, Norman!
  • Toppling
Christopher O'Dowd is an Irish actor, best known for comedic roles such as Miles Daly in the Epix comedy series Get Shorty and Roy Trenneman in the Channel 4 comedy The IT Crowd. O'Dowd created and starred in the Sky 1 television series Moone Boy, which aired between 2012 and 2015.He co-wrote a series based on his childhood called Moone Boy for Sky 1. Segments of the series are filmed in his homet ...more
More about Chris O'Dowd

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things