Start by marking “Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)

Becoming Jinn

(Becoming Jinn #1)

Forget everything you thought you knew about genies!

Azra has just turned sixteen, and overnight her body lengthens, her olive skin deepens, and her eyes glisten gold thanks to the brand-new silver bangle that locks around her wrist. As she always knew it would, her Jinn ancestry brings not just magical powers but the reality of a life of servitude, as her wish granting is
Published April 21st 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Jinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Jinn

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
he deepening of my olive skin, the angling of my cheekbones, the lengthening of my torso.

I lay a finger on the bangle and push, watching it spin around my wrist. Somehow this thing stimulates my body to reach full maturity. As an inherently attractive species, this tends to make us Jinn … well, hot.

This review may be rambly and nonsensical. It's been a long week. Bear with me. I swear I'm not under the influence of alcohol, although I wish I were, given the material in this book.

Genies are o
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

What do you do when a book's synopsis promises a mind-numbing fantasy world with dark secrets and deceptions? Obviously, you take your expectations to the next level. And when the book lets you down? You rant.

Becoming Jinn started off promisingly. Azra had just grown into her powers and was being a satisfyingly rebellious-but-not-too-rebellious teen. At least, that's how she started out. She seemed to be your average girl wanting more freedom, but not wanting it enough to be a bitch to her mom,
Alyssa
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Upon reading the synopsis: so much potential.

Upon reading the book: so many YA cliche. SO. MANY.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein
Book One of the Becoming Jinn series
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: April 21, 2015
Rating: 1 star
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Martina Boone
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm SO so excited for this book to be out in the world. The premise and writing -- and just everything -- are wonderful, and readers are going to love it!
N.K. Traver
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading JINN before Lori signed with her agent, after the first 250 words of the novel caught my eye in a writing contest (and hence I insisted on seeing the rest). She had me from the first sentence. Mix her fantastic writing with a unique concept, rich Jinn history, and a rebellious but sensible heroine, JINN feels fresh all the way through, with some of the strongest character relationships I've ever seen. You won't want to miss this one. Excited to see this in print!
Nasty Lady MJ
To see full review click here.

Dear Book Genie:

Your Book Genie service sucks. You told me you’d give me any sort of book I wanted. I said I wanted a jinn book full of culture,diversity, matriarchy, and you gave me…

Well, shit.

Becoming Jinn was such a devastating experience. It was like on the shallow surface it had everything I desired, but then when I actually read it.

My head exploded and not in a good way.

I get that you should be careful about what you wish for, but come on Book Genie did you re
Molly Mortensen
This is more of a contemporary book where one of her problems happens to be magic than a fantasy book. There were hints of fighting back against the evil Afrits, but most of the conflict was with Azra’s relationships.

The Good:

I enjoyed the culture and idiosyncrasies of the Jinn. (Like how they ate sweets constantly and didn’t like the cold.) These were cute touches.

There is a love triangle! (I wish the one boy only liked her as a friend and she didn’t go into the jealousy thing,) But it wasn’t a
Jen Brooks
I read an early version of this book as a member of the Freshman Fifteens. Azra Nadira wakes up on her sixteenth birthday having become the very thing she’s dreaded all her life—a full-fledged Jinn, finally able to use her powers, but controlled by the Afrit and forced to grant wishes to humans. Her five Zar sisters—most of whom have already come into their powers—could be her greatest source of support, but she has been slowly alienating them for years because, unlike Azra, they fully embrace t ...more
Erin Arkin
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein is a book I was looking forward to when I read the summary but I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed with this book. It has a lot to do with the characters of this book more than anything as I thought the story was solid, it just didn’t progress as I was hoping.

It is the morning of Azra’s 16th birthday and things are more different for her today than ever. She has definitely changed and it all has to do with the bracelet that is now locked onto her wrist. As a
Rachel
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lori Goldstein’s debut, BECOMING JINN, is a perfect mix of sweet, sad, funny, heartwarming, captivating and intriguing. It’s one of those stories that draws you in at the outset with an opening sentence that will pique your curiosity, and keeps you hooked with its entertaining characters, fascinating lore, engaging plot and great writing.

It introduces a main character who is likable, relatable, well-meaning, impulsive, stubborn, and at times selfish, but who is sure to make you laugh, roll your
Marc
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Becoming Jinn is a beautifully crafted, carefully written tale of 16-year-old Azra who has what we all think we want -- the power to grant wishes (and I say this as a completely biased husband of the author but I assure you, every word is true). Azra is a smart, funny, caustic, bedeviling, and one-of-a-kind character rarely seen in YA.

When the silver bangle is clasped around her wrist that provides this power, it's the final straw in a lifetime fighting the inevitable servitude that this preciou
isabelle
10-7-14
Aaaaaand the cover is here! Personally, it's not really what I expected it to be. But alas, I STILL HAVE FAITH.
__________________________________

So I have three wishes to be granted.

1) This book has great potential. Genies. IT MUST NOT SUCK.

2) Love triangle. I want it to be good as the Infernal Devices triangle. Don't fail me. ROMANCE MUST BE WELL EXECUTED.

3) I want our MC to be radiating badassery. AZRA MUST NOT BE DULL.

Now, don't go and put words in mouth, Miss Goldstein. And don't go
Booknut
A brilliant twist on jinn mythology, Becoming Jinn fleshes out your typical genie - exploring the emotions, trials & sacrifices that make up their lives.

mith
Forget everything you thought you knew about genies!
Yeah, just add in every cliché you've come across in the YA genre!
This includes: bitchy popular girls, boy-driven/hormone-crazed girls, rendered speechless as a crush KNOWS YOUR NAME!, and so much more!
I love genie stories. I haven't read much because there aren't that many that I know of. And all the ones I've read this far—which I believe are three—have been contemporary, which is my least favourite genre.
But I still love genie stories. So I
K Y L A
Nov 29, 2014 marked it as to-read
When I saw this book over at Twitter (thanks to Anna Banks!), I was like,"WOW." The cover caught my attention. Oh, my God. It looks absolutely gorgeous! I cannot stop staring at it.

description

I haven't read any good fantasy novels in a while. I'm really, really looking forward to read this book. It sounds promising and intriguing, as well.

I'm super excited for this book! AMAZING COVER + AMAZING SYNOPSIS + AMAZING (and friendly) AUTHOR = ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND WORTH A TRY!

2015, BE HERE ALREADY!

description
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
I received an egalley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Becoming Jinn, the first book in Lori Goldstein’s Zar Sisterhood series, is such an imaginative young adult fantasy. Azra, the main character, is a genie-in-training and has such an entertaining voice that is so captivating to read. The plot is so incredible with its many twists and turns. You will never be able to guess what will happen next! Another endearing quality to Becoming Jinn is the love triangle that occurs. This ad
Elevetha
Pre:

Jinn. Jinn.

Well, now I'm probably going to have to read this. Only problem is that disgusting love triangle. It's hurting my soul from here.

But this is really threatening to put me off,
"Nate, the lifeguard with the underwear model exterior and sweet, shy interior.

*gags* That whole sentence makes me want to run far away. That doesn't bode well.

After: To come. But yikes.

The characters in this book are so shallow they make kiddie pools look deep.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
I so badly wanted to like this one. I did! Come on, genies? Who doesn't like genies!? (The answer: anyone who encounters Azra.) And the concept itself is actually pretty fun: a family  of Jinn who, at sixteen, come into their powers and have to serve this pretty vile Jinn council. On that note, let's talk about the things I liked:

Jinn culture is pretty intense! I did enjoy the Jinn background and worldbuilding, and I am pretty sure that the next book is going to offer up a lot in the way of Jin
KL (Cat)
Can we just hang on for a sec to stare incredulously at the summary? It's three paragraphs literally yelling in your face that it's a stereotypically trashy YA novel for teenage girl fantasies.

MC is an ultra super duper special girl who turns stunning overnight and has a unique (but dangerous! oh no!) power that may change the world. I'm also guessing that there's probably a hot but forbidden boy and they "fall in love- sorry, lust" at first sight?

Why does the YA market lack originality? Why do
These Violent Delights (Robin)
Honest Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

I think a younger me would've absolutely loved this book, but unfortunately I didn't love it. I think that this was a fun story and I enjoyed the characters enough.

I really liked the Jinn aspect of this story. I haven't had much exposure to stories with "genie" influences. I really enjoyed Goldstein's approach to this theme. The author did a great job creating her world and made it believable in it's design.

I enjoyed Azra as our main character, I love a good r
Brenda Drake
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! The world-building is beautiful and Goldstein really knows how to write characters. This kept me up reading, not wanting to put it down to see what happened next. I was pulled into Azra's life and her relationships. It's full of drama, humor, and action. Becoming a Jinn isn't easy and I admired how Azra handled the struggles she faces after turning into one. Such a cool read and I can't wait to read the next in the series!!
Charlotte Huang
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this and I want the sequel to be here immediately! Becoming Jinn was a fun, intriguing story featuring a sassy but sweet MC who has to navigate between her wonderful family of Jinn women and the complexities of high school and neighborhood life. If you love fantasy grounded in a contemporary world, you'll love this one!
Britt
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Look for my review on 3/19 @ Winterhaven Books
Meredith
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Becoming Jinn! I finished it in TWO days because I couldn't put it down! I'm so sorry I didn't read it sooner! The world of the Jinn, the magic and the rules - the way there are serious consequences to wish granting - are all intriguing. The characters are awesome and the life lessons are relatable. Lori Goldstein is a great writer and she really sucked me into her story. I had some minor issues with it, but overall, it was a wonderful read!

Azra is a bit tough to like in the beginning. T
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher.

Diversity Rating: 2 – It’s a Start!

Racial-Ethnic:
4 (wealth of women of color who share strong relationships)
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: o
Intersectionality: 1

Oh, Becoming Jinn. It has some of the ideas and a fun premise and yet goes nowhere with it. Novels about jinn are rather rare in YA and thus it’s a subject with plenty of territory left to explore. The Art of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar and Exquisite Captive by He
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Whelp, I didn't finish this one. I gave it the 50 page trial and then some, but nothing was still happening

There are three reasons for me not to finish a book:
1) The book is honestly painful to read, whether it's due to a smattering of grammar mistakes or baaaad characters.
2) Nothing. Nothing is happening.
3) I'm scared. I STILL haven't finished Clockwork Princess because of what happens in the epilogue. I refuse to acknowledge that.

Becoming Jinn falls into number 2. Genies are such an interestin
Gisbelle
My thanks to Feiwel & Friends

------------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Single (Azra)
Writing: First Person | Present Tense
Setting: New England
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy
------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what to say, but I just didn't feel anything for this book. At all. Right from the start, everything was a mess. It was hard for me to concentrate on the story when I just didn't have a clue what the frig was go
Delaney
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, reviewed
So I got to read this book as an advanced reader. I thought it was great. The characters were believable, and interesting, I felt like I could walk around the settings, and the relationships between characters were great. The main character is named Azra, a 16 year old girl, who is a jinn, better known as a genie. She only gains full access to her powers on her 16th birthday, and the book follows her, as she grows accustomed to her new life, new friends, and new interests. With a nice love trian ...more
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

Becoming Jinn is apparently part one of a two part duology by author Lori Goldstein. Goldstein's story is a contemporary take on what it is like to be a Jinn in the modern world. In Azra Nadira's world, she is responsible for granting wishes just like her mother, her grandmother, and gre
Jessica | Bookish Serendipity
Rating: 4.5 stars

This is an awesome book! Definitely deserves the 5-star rating. Azra was an amazing main character, and super easy to relate to. The other characters (like Nate, Yasmin, Henry, etc) felt just as realistic.

I love books about genies, and so I was thrilled to have a chance to read Becoming Jinn early. I think the execution in this aspect was awesome. It's always interesting to see what twist an author will put on an old concept.

The story hooked me from the first line. It’s really

• When I Wake
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)
  • Duplicity
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Nobody's Goddess (Never Veil #1)
  • Zeroboxer
  • The Body Institute
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • I Am Her Revenge
  • Dreamstrider
  • Valiant
  • Dead to Me
  • In a World Just Right
  • City of Savages
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
  • The Shadow Behind the Stars
  • Hunt for the Pyxis (The Galaxy Pirates #1)
Author of SCREEN QUEENS, coming from Razorbill, June 11, 2019, and available for preorder now (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and IndieBound) about three teen girls who attend a startup incubator in Silicon Valley and learn what it means to compete in the male-dominated world of tech.

My Young Adult Contemporary Fantasy series Becoming Jinn and Circle of Jinn is a modern spin on the traditional tale of

Becoming Jinn (2 books)
  • Circle of Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #2)