Start by marking “Sweet” as Want to Read:
Sweet

Sweet

(Sweet #1)

PEOPLE WOULD KILL TO BE THIN.

Solu's luxurious celebrity-filled Cruise to Lose is billed as "the best cruise since the Titanic," and if the new diet sweetener works as promised - dropping five percent of a person's body weight in just days - it really could be the answer to the world's obesity problem. But Laurel is starting to regret accepting her friend Viv’s invitation. She's
Published June 2nd 2015 by Feiwel & Friends (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet, please sign up.
Megan Holtzapple I expect not. In the end, the anchorwoman had already taken the Solu. That probably means that everyone had taken it and there would be no world left…moreI expect not. In the end, the anchorwoman had already taken the Solu. That probably means that everyone had taken it and there would be no world left for a sequel if the aftereffects of the Solu were the same as on the ship... I really liked this book but I don't think it would make any sense for there to be a sequel. (less)
Marina This book is pretty graphic and deals with some pretty hard stuff for seventh grade.
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,465 books — 8,913 voters
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellDumplin' by Julie   MurphyThe DUFF by Kody KeplingerFat Girl on a Plane by Kelly deVosThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
Plus-Size YA Heroines
143 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
An unsolicited Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review.

The new diet sweetener Solu is about to be launched but before it could be released to the world, Laurel and her best friend Viv has invited her to take a luxurious celebrity cruise where they will test out the sweetener first. Solu's goal is to make anyone who takes it, lose weight quickly and effortlessly. Then things start to turn for the worse, people start to get addicted to it. Together with TV host To
Danielle (Love at First Page)
I just... can't even... what on earth?! O_O

I'm not going to take the time to properly review Sweet. It's just one of the most bizarre, unbelievable books I've ever read, and not in a good way. Weak characterization, weak writing, weak story... no, ridiculous story. I'm really wondering what in the world I just read. Nothing. Makes. Sense. There are practically vampires at the end, guys, VAMPIRES. Read the synopsis and get back to me on that one.

I understand what it was trying for, with the whole we
Stacee
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

This was delightfully creepy and an interesting look at get thin quick fixes.

I really enjoyed Laurel as an MC. It's so rare that we get to be in the head of a girl who is TRULY happy with the way she looks. And not because a guy validated her feelings. She's bright and snarky and even though she's a bit blind sided by Tom, he doesn't become her end all be all reason.

Being in Tom's head was also fantastic. It's quite a glaring light on how publicity works and with Emmy being in the business, I
Alyssa
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Sweet by Emmy Laybourne
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Emmy Laybourne, author of the Monument 14 trilogy, takes readers on a dream vacation that goes first comically, then tragically, then horrifying
Emery K
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-nine-weeks
The book Sweet is so suspenseful it keeps you on your toes and always has you guessing about what will happen next.The company solu made a sweetener that made you loose weight in a blink of an eye.They had a early release product party on a cruise ship and things were just fine until some of the passengers on the cruise started to act weird. I loved the book sweet I thought it was the perfect amount of scary and mystery all at the same time.If you like books that keep you guessing what's going to hap ...more
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 9/24/15: Oh that was fun! Very cult comedy, silly, gory. And the ending! I actually didn't expect it but I kind of loved it. Loved the little twists, Laurel and Tom were awesome, and I just love how fun Emmy's writing is. I thought this book was a lot of fun to read, very quick, very easy, and a hilarious and yet horrifying concept. I also really liked the little messages strewn throughout regarding appearance, valor, and respect. Very well done!
But, readers... Know what this book i
Ashley DiNorcia
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-fiction
3.5
A sweetener that makes people lose weight...and go crazy.
This would be a really fun beach/vacation read.

So this was a really strange book. It was a super fast read, you could easily read this in one sitting. We alternate POV's between Laurel, the overweight yet comfortable with herself girl tagging along on the trip with her friend Viv, and Tom a once overweight child star hosting the cruise. Laurel and Tom don't end up trying the sweetener. Chaos ensues.

I enjoyed this book but
Milka
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sweet was bit of a random eARC pick for me for me since I am usually the one who requests all the contemporary books and pretty much nothing else. Sweet might be listed as 'contemporary' by some in Goodreads but let me assure you, THIS IS NOT A CONTEMPORARY READ. It is more of a mix between a contemporary read and a very weird vampire novel. Yes, you read right - VAMPIRE. Unfortunately, at this point I feel like I should have not clicked the request button for Sweet because I still, a couple of ...more
Meredith
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
3.5 Stars

I found the premise of Sweet intriguing, but the outcome was bizarre.

17 year old Laurel Willard is offered the opportunity to go on all expense paid celebrity cruise and try out a new weight loss product, Solu. While Laurel, who is described as curvy, is happy with her body, her best friend Viv (and travel companion) is willing to do anything to lose weight. Former child star, Tom Fiorello is also on the cruise as a paid tv correspondent. Tom, who once had weight issues of
Talina
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars - Also reviewed on my blog, Sassy & Dangerous!

"This is the first book I've read from Emmy Laybourne and I am sure it won't be the last! Sweet is a fast paced novel that will leave you wondering what happens next!"

photo giphy_2.gif

Seeing this come through my mail...it was an unbelievable thing. This book is my first ever ARC and I'm so happy that I got the chance to read and revi
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Skinny is in and fat is out......

You find out from your friend their is a pill that can be a cure to obesity. All you have to do is go on a cruise and be a tester to see how much weight you lose. Your friend is excited and she wants you to come along and enjoy the cruise as well as the chance to lose the extra weight you have.

Only when you get on the cruise ship things don't go as planned. You realize the hottest guy who is the host is the man of your dreams. Then your be
Catherine ♡
Actual Rating: 1.5

This is one of the weirdest books I've ever read. It was absolutely bizarre, but I'm not even sure if it was in a good or bad way.

Sweet follows Laurel on a cruise with her best friend. The cruise is designed around Solu, a new artificial sweetener that is advertised as a weight-loss supplement. As it so happens, Tom, Laurel's celebrity crush, is also on the cruise and - well, you can probably guess what's going to happen. But it's not over yet; something in the sweetener is making everybody act weirdway.
Nasty Lady MJ
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
To see review with gif click here.

This book is so bad. But it’s like I can’t help but continue reading had. It actually sort of reminds me of Sharknado. If Sharknado was a book.

And that’s the thing, I don’t really know if bad B movie works for a YA book. Half of the fun of those movies is actually seeing it, and having some of the physical gags allows poor characterizations to be ignored.

That being said, I think this book could’ve worked if some time was spent on char
Michelle
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-on-blog, own
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**Sweet is a new young adult thriller/horror novel by Emmy Laybourne. When I was finished with sweet, I assumed it was a standalone, but goodreads says it is the first in the Sweet series. Now I am even more intrigued by the book than I was when I finished it, because I cannot wait to see what the author is going to do next with the series. It is going to be freakin' insane.

I really enjoyed Sweet. The idea behind it is scary as all get
Elli W
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-9-weeks
Sweet is a wonderful book about a 14 year old girl named Laurel who lives in Bay Area, California who is given a once in a lifetime opportunity when her friend Viv invites her to come with her on the Solu Cruise to Lose. Solu is a sweetener that helps lose weight quickly and efficiently. On the cruise, Laurel meets her childhood crush Tom Fiorelli. They both decided prior to the cruise that they would be not be taking any Solu, as Laurel didn't feel the need to lose weight and Tom didn't want to mes ...more
Ashley (Loves Books)
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
**A version of this review will post to Ashley Loves Books at a later date.**

I’m a little bit…uncertain? Mystified? Stunned? Perhaps even a little appalled? At what I just read. I mean…I’ve read Monument 14, and I’ve met Emmy a few times, so I thought I’d had a bit of a handle on her books and how she can be completely original and weird and make it work.

And Sweet was…completely original and weird and different but I’m just not sure it worked this time.

So much of t
Jenny
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was SO GOOD! A wonderful, knuckle biting, crazy thriller! LOVED it, even more than Monument 14! I def recommend it, if you like zombies/thrillers!

*side note* There aren't actual "zombies" in the story, they are all human...but they tend to start acting like zombies. I don't want to give it all away, but its FREAKY! ;)
Juhina
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
The only good thing about this book was the foreshadowing ending. Very disappointed
Pamela
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's no secret that I love Emmy Laybourne's work. She hooked me with Monument 14 and never let me go. I jumped on the chance to get an ARC of Sweet, her newest novel, which is very different from Monument 14 in some respects, but I gobbled it right up.

In the afterword, Laybourne says that she was inspired by b-movies, and I can see that in the work. It's a clever way of writing a book that addresses body acceptance issues--instead of a long meditation on fat acceptance, or the risk of sounding
Mehsi
Reread during my vacation, fabulous to read this one. Glad I took it with me. Same rating as first read.

This was an amazing book, though that ending. GAHHHHH. Also a warning, it is pretty gory and gruesome at parts, so if you are squeamish, then I would recommend you either skip the scenes or grab a less gory book.

But this book was epic, awesome and truly wow. It is told from the perspectives of two character. Tom, who is a celebrity, and then we have Laurel, a normal girl who got o
Heidi
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars: A satirical horror story with some important messages.

Laurel nervously tugs her battered suitcase down the red carpet. She still can't believe that she, a nobody, is going on the "Cruise to Lose", a cruise for the rich and famous, centered around the new diet sweetener, Solu. Solu promises to melt pounds off within days. At first, Laurel is caught up in the glitz and glamour, and admittedly starstruck when she runs into her childhood crush, Tom Forelli. Tom is a former tv child star, wh
Asheley
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
As Sweet by Emmy Laybourne begins, Laurel is boarding a cruise-til-you-lose ship to meet up with her BFF Viv. Viv is obsessed with the quick weight loss that is promised by the new diet supplement Solu, just like nearly everyone else on board the ship. Despite the fact that she does not feel the need to lose weight, Laurel has agreed to accompany Viv on this trip. Almost immediately after boarding, Laurel develops horrible nausea and becomes seasick. She is unable to hold any food or drink down, whic ...more
Pixie/PageTurners Blog(Amber) C.
Really enjoyed this one, was up all night reading.

Wow, I was not expecting a comedic horror story. It is definitely an edge of your seat, could not put down, up all night read. Wholly Molly, this book kept me guessing all night long. Just when I thought I had it figured out BAM, the story does a complete 180.

Sweet is told from two perspectives - Laurel and Tom's. Laurel is just an ordinary girl, who thought she was getting a awesome vacation when she accepted her best friend Viv's i
Ms. Yingling
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Netgalley.com

Laurel isn't thrilled to be going on a cruise to launch Solu, a new weight-loss supplement, but she's glad to be with her best friend Viveka, whose father is paying for the cruise. Laurel doesn't understand Viv's obsession with her weight, since Laurel is a little heavy but would rather worry about practicing her guitar. Tom, a former child star, is on the cruise doing interviews and promotions, but isn't about to mess up his diet and exercise regime with Solu
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. This is just such a forgettable book.

Essentially the only pro is that I was so engrossed in this that I couldn't stop reading. Points for creepiness. Also, this actually might be the only book I've ever read where the main character is above a size five (or let's face it, zero) and doesn't lose the weight, which is super awesome. I loved Laurel's body confidence.

Unfortunately, body confidence was Laurel's only trait, and that's exactly how I felt about every other character in the book
Ellis Haynes
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet is a fabulous book about teenagers Laurel and Vivika, and an adult named Tom. When a sweetener that helps you LOSE weight is developed and titled 'Solu', a very rich man invests in Solu and they have a seven day cruise for it! But a few days in they discover that Solu is actually very addictive and people start killing for it. And as Laurel and Tom start falling for each other, it's up to them to save the remaining crew and non-addict passengers! I really loved this book! I thought the con ...more
Karen’s Library
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Amazing read that I could not put down! It's hilarious and horrifying and I loved it!

Lauren, our MC, was a real down to earth and entirely relatable protagonist. And Tom, although a celebrity, also became a really great guy. I really connected to both of them!

I highly recommend this book and can't wait to see what Emmy comes up with next!!!
Jaclyn
Originally reviewed at The Book Adventures.

Sweet is a weirdly awesome horror tale. It's both funny and unrealistic, and the author owns that campy tone, making for an all around enjoyable read.

Over the course of six days a celebrity-filled cruise will embark on a televised experiment. Passengers on the cruise ship have been invited to try Solu, a new dietary supplement that results in dramatic weight loss. With Solu you can eat whatever you want and still lose those persistent pounds. Natural/>Sweet
david y biblioflick
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, contemporary

This is a Sweet read. Rating: 3.5 stars

So after the apocalyptic trilogy, Monument 14, let's join Tom and Lauren on a cruise of a lifetime.

It is told in two alternating POVs of the guitarist, Lauren, who is on board with, or because of, her best friend Vivian and the actor Tom. One thing I hated in this book is the chemistry between Tom and Lauren in become sweet because of that moment. But when not focusing on the romance between them, but on the "teamwork" they did throughout the book is really good.

This is a Sweet read. Rating: 3.5 stars

The fat just walks away. #adipose #doctorwho

I guess between being a putting Solu on my food or a tablet that makes an Adipose, I'll go for the tablet. Plus the adipose is quite cute. Why? - You gotta read to find out (or read others' reviews or click on the spoiler). The people on the cruise will be getting packs of Solu (which is like a sugar where you could sprinkle it in any food). And they will be the first people to get it. And they could get rid the fat in your body in just a few weeks or even days. But what is the side effect?

MILD Spoilers incoming
So as the days passed by, the people who get Solu are becoming addicted to it and hoarding packs of it to take it or to sell it for an expensive price. So of course, the two main characters are not taking it, since they will become an unreliable narrator and this will end in a psychological-mystery novel. But the problem is a lot of people are getting addicted to it, including Lauren's friend, that they (view spoiler) As things get bad to worse, the main characters decided to ask help. And they will learn the horrifying truth behind it all. (Which is a little bit shallow, so that's another disappointment).

So this book tackles the one of the society problems. Too become slim. (while others, including me, wanted to be fat). Others suffers from anorexia or bulimia. And the execution in showing the side effects of taking (but not like what is stated in the book) is really horrifying. But I think it is better to just exercise and take a balanced meal, daily to maintain or to gain the body physique you want.
Jazmen
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to break up this review into likes, and dislikes this time around--so here we go.

Likes: Main characters that have curves, size 14+. (Even in 2015, I can't say YA characters have fully evolved.)So, it's always nice when I encounter "diverse" characters--particularly one's who aren't skinny. Because honey, neither am I. So, that part definitely pleased me. Not only was the main character "plus-sized,"--so was the best friend.

A cruise ship that is basically like a
Crazy for Young A...: Sweet, by Emmy Laybourne → Start Date: June 6, 2015 23 25 Jun 09, 2015 12:12AM

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Lost (Shipwreck Island, #2)
  • The Living (The Living, #1)
  • State of Decay: Omnibus
  • When the Dead
  • The August Five
  • Young Widows Club
  • Our Brothers at the Bottom of the Bottom of the Sea
  • Perry's Killer Playlist (Perry & Gobi, #2)
  • Die for You
  • Fever (Fade, #4)
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge
  • Hellraisers (The Devil's Engine, #1)
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • Deadly Design
  • Deliver Me
  • The Winter Place
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
EMMY LAYBOURNE is a Young Adult novelist best known for her Monument 14 series, an internationally best-selling trilogy that has been translated into 9 languages. Her standalone book Sweet won a Junior Library Guild Award, was a YALSA Quick Pick and got a Perfect Ten rating from VOYA. Her latest books, Berserker, and Ransacker tell the story of a family of Norwegian teens with ancient Viking power ...more