Start by marking “The Perilous Princess Plot (Buckle and Squash #1)” as Want to Read:
The Perilous Princess Plot (Buckle and Squash #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Perilous Princess Plot

(Buckle and Squash #1)

This is the story of two very different sisters--Eliza, who longs to ride into battle against villains and dragons, and Lavender, who would give anything to be a pampered princess. Before the end of the story both of them have had a chance to fulfill their dreams, though not quite in the way they intended...
Accompanied by their depressed goat, Gertrude, with their granny's
Published May 5th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends (first published July 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Perilous Princess Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perilous Princess Plot

Start your review of The Perilous Princess Plot (Buckle and Squash #1)
Betsy
Considering that I will never but EVER write an early chapter book or, for that matter, an easy book for new readers, it’s funny how often I sit around contemplating their difficulty. More precisely, I want to know which ones are more difficult to write. Easy books sounds like they’d be the hardest, particularly since it is remarkably hard to siphon a book down to its most essential parts while also making it interesting. Then again, those early chapter books are the devil. We see whole bunches ...more
Anya
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. This book is full of punny humor and I read it in one night! There are footnotes too, I love that :D. It is a bit gory for kids though with illustrations showing detached limbs.... But fun for grown ups ha!
Shae McDaniel
Originally reviewed at http://www.shaelit.com/2015/05/review...

Most of the time when I read books, I just enjoy the book. I don't think about target audiences or age ranges or anything like that. A good book is a good book. But then sometimes I pick up a book like this one and get thwacked between the eyes with the fact that I am not, in fact, the intended audience. And you know what? That's okay, because kids are going to love this book.

The Perilous Princess Plot is a funny little book. It's no
Siyana Pavlova
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Funny, witty and full of adventures, forests, dragons and goats (well, one goat) - what else do you need? It was definitely fun to read this book (especially after all the university lectures and assignments), the unexpected outcomes and connections between different phrases made me laugh a lot and the illustrations were simply amazing. As a (semi-)grown-up who is into Science, I love to read such stories which help my (not-so-)long-lost imagination come back to me and I would recommend this boo ...more
Tessa
This book was so ridiculously funny. It was full of weird footnotes and literal metaphors and puns. So. Many. Puns. It made me laugh out loud every few pages. I really enjoyed it.
Kristen
I read this as it came up on a list of the funniest books for kids and I want to bring more funny books on school visits this year. And it is funny--silly, a little zany, and very punny. It has a British vibe to the humor that I think lots of kids and parents will enjoy.

The story follows two sisters--Eliza and Lavender--who have very different goals. Eliza wants to fight dragons and have adventures and Lavender wants to become a princess. This leads them on a silly adventure with an evil villain
Janssen
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, children, read-aloud
The girls LOVED this and called it the funniest book they'd ever read. I thought it was fine.
Barb Middleton
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you want to study the literary device of using parody to exaggerate the fairy tale genre for comedic effect, then I suggest picking up this book. Or if you just want to snort laugh your breakfast cereal out your nose, then I suggest this book again. Eliza and Lavendar live in Old Tumbledown Farm in The Middle of Nowhere in the land of Squerb, where Lavendar dreams of being a princess and Eliza dreams of strangling her neck. Just kidding. Eliza is stuck with all the chores and is just annoyed ...more
Robin Rowles
My Title: A belly full of laughs and endless entertainment for everyone!

Author Sarah Courtauld has put together a very entertaining read that kids will really love. This is a tale about two very different sisters. Eliza who likes nothing more than battles against villains and dragons, and Lavender who just wants to be a pampered princess.

This book contains loads of quirky illustrations which beautifully adds to the zany storyline. (My personal favourite illustrations being Grandpa Joe, the villa
Tim Roast
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a sense of fun and a sense of adventure within its pages.

The story follows the adventures of two sisters, Lavender and Eliza, who have two different destinies. Eliza was "going to battle dragons and giants. She was going to vanquish monsters and travel to distant mountains." Her sister Lavender's destiny was "almost certainly going to feature a handsome prince."

It is because of Lavender's wish for a Prince that she gets in trouble being kidnapped for ransom in a castle surrounded b
Mr. Wolf
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delicious treat of silly story telling, funny characters and non-stop word play this book is. I can think of many kids who would love this book, but even more adults!
The writer seems to have been inspired by the likes of Edward Lear, Spike Milligan, Douglas Adams, Gideon Defoe, David Walliams and possibly every bad cracker joke as well (but in a good way!) -and it's also uncannily often like my own children's book, so of course I believe Buckle & Squash to be a work of genius!- but once y
Alana Muir
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a terrible tendency in the publishing industry and in our culture in general to see books about boys as being "for everyone" while books about girls are "just for girls". This book is an excellent place to start challenging that idea. Both protagonists are girls, but there is nothing in this book that a boy couldn't enjoy as well. It's a funny story with dragons, wizards and fart jokes. There are even a few jokes that seem to be primarily for the parents. It made me laugh out loud in a ...more
Michelle
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won an ARC of this book here on Goodreads. The author was amazing and signed and doodled in the book for my daughter who was so happy to get her first personalised book.

We read as a bed time story over 4 nights and my daughter was constantly laughing as I read it to her. She particularly loved Grandma Maud and the whole princess name later in the story.

We just finished the book last night and today she was reading it on her own and asked can we read it all again. I recommend for a fun read fo
Valerie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a super take on the Princess fairy tale that I won in a Goodreads giveaway.

The story is laugh out loud funny and perfect for both reading aloud to an early reader or for reading alone. The delightful quirky illustrations enhance the tale and I would highly recommend this book to any youngster who loves a different take on a pretty princess awaiting her handsome prince. Combining talking goats, fire throwing dragons and haunted forests you have a super book for any little princess to enjo
Jason
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real good fun book, I read this to my daughter and she spent a lot of time laughing at it (funny voices were added by my as they didn't come with the book).

The illustrations in this are all pencil drawings and are really well done. The author has signed the book for my daughter and she also drew a dragon for her which she loves.

So much detail has been put into the story, even the chapter titles are inventive and there are references to previous scenes in the book so ya gotta pay attention.

Rea
Andréa
I had high hopes for this book, based on the cover and the description, but in the end I just wasn't a fan. I didn't like either of the main characters; neither one has many endearing qualities. The narrator is a bit intrusive, and the childish illustrations didn't add much to the story. I'm sure there are kids who will love this book, but it didn't work for me.

Note: I received an ARC from the publisher.
Abby Johnson
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A laugh-out-loud funny book about a girl obsessed with becoming a princess and her practical sister who has to rescue her when plans go awry. It's a quick, easy read with lots of cartoony illustrations and wacky, witty humor that reminded me of Monty Python and/or Cressida Cowell's dragon books. This would be a fun one for kids who like fractured fairy tales and a great choice for any kids who enjoy laughing.
Simon Taylor
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic fantasy adventure that my daughter and I loved reading together. The magical story is packed full of colourful characters (including a talking goat!) and I'd highly recommend it for middle/upper primary school. Fabulous!

(Disclaimer - won in a Goodreads Giveaway for an honest review.)
Kristen
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was pretty underwhelmed by this offering, which has a lot of potential in the premise but not a great follow-through. The characters were pretty flat and the plot was loose and made no sense in some places. However, I thought this book had a similar vibe as Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon series, so I think kids who like that would also like this book.
Annmarie
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my 2 children (9yrs & 7yrs). They both loved it. It is witty, fun, and full of adventure. A great read for kids as it keeps them entertained throughout... I would highly recommend.

copy won through Goodreads giveaways.
Annina Luck
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Keep in mind fir ny ratubg that for these chapter books, I am, of course, not the target audience. I'm reading them because I like to write this kind of thing. This one had a lot of humor that reminded me of Monty Python.
Jenny
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very adventurous and exciting book for my 9 year old girl.
She found the book extremely funny, humorous and also adventurous.
A book that makes want to keep on reading and dont want to stop.
Laura Hulme
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We really enjoyed this book. It was such a happy lovely story. Thanks so much!!
Meghan
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, kids-books
Love!
Small Review
Cute but forgettable. Full review to come.
Meredith
My 4-year-old gives this 107 stars out of 5, but my husband & I both give it 2 out of 5, so we outnumbered her on this one. The illustrations are painful to look at. The writing is SO full of bad jokes that it is really distracting, and I'm not sure if any of the characters really learned anything or grew by the end of the story. And the cameo of the gay magicians in the middle of the story felt very awkward & random. On the bright side, some of those bad jokes I mentioned earlier were quite fun ...more
Clare Bird
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hlb, 2020
I give the Perilous Princess Plot 4 out of 5 birds. My 4 year old daughter- who I read this to- said 100 stars. So I guess it's more her review that matters.

She enjoyed the characters- both human and non. It was quite the silly book. The descriptions were hilarious. She keeps joking that I have "a snail coming out of my left nostril." I think this book was a little bit over her head, maybe more first grade level. But she wanted to read it and kept asking and so we read it. We stopped a lot to d
Ben
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author shows no respect for fairy tales, and yet Lavender remains persistent in her pursuit of happily ever after. I feel like her sister Eliza should have thrown her in the pig pen at the beginning of the story, but Eliza is more long-suffering than I am. One thing that was impressive was the author's ability to turn common phrases onto their literal heads in delightfully clever ways that avoided the trap of cheesiness or overuse. It's too bad Mordmont never got a chance to realize his last ...more
Erin
I found this a strange beast. Somehow too princessy while still having a sister who wanted to fight monsters and rescue people. For me, it wasn't very balanced in this respect. The illustrations looked, well, like a talented elementary student had tackled them, and yet somehow they worked and I ended up liking them. The story came across as more polished, but only by a little bit, and again, it worked really well. Overall I liked it, but it was definitely quirky.
Melissa Mcavoy
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pitch-perfect, humorous, beginning chapter book. The relationship between two young sisters: one a princess wanna-be who shirks chores and the other a long suffering tomboy, is fabulous. This is a broad fantasy that moves beyond the obvious tropes and is quirky without being annoying. So thrilled it is a series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)
  • The Enchanted Egg (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #2)
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
  • Ivy and Bean
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Our Time Is Now: Power, Purpose, and the Fight for a Fair America
  • Christmas on Primrose Hill
  • The Romance of Tristan
  • How to Fight a Dragon’s Fury (How To Train Your Dragon, #12)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)
  • Return to the Isle of the Lost (Descendants, #2)
  • I'd Give Anything
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #2)
  • Mischief Season: A Twins Story
Sarah Courtauld lives in London and writes and illustrates funny books for children. Her favourite children's writers are Andy Stanton, Roald Dahl, Tove Jansson, J Meade Falkner and Lemony Snicket, although her all time favourite children's book is The Princess Bride.

Acclaim for Buckle and Squash & the Monstrous Moat Dragon:

"Delicious!"
Gertrude the goat.

Buckle and Squash (2 books)
  • The Gigantic Giant Goof-up (Buckle and Squash, #2)