Start by marking “Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)” as Want to Read:
Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger, #1)

Book Scavenger (Book Scavenger #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  6,598 Ratings  ·  1,238 Reviews
A hidden book. A found cipher. A game begins . . . .

Twelve-year-old Emily is on the move again. Her family is relocating to San Francisco, home of her literary idol: Garrison Griswold, creator of the online sensation Book Scavenger, a game where books are hidden all over the country and clues to find them are revealed through puzzles. But Emily soon learns that Griswold ha
Published June 2nd 2015 by Christy Ottaviano Books (Henry Holt and Co.) (first published June 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Book Scavenger, please sign up.
Jennifer Bertman I totally agree with Shannon's response. (And so glad you and your 4th grader enjoyed it, Shannon!) I think 11 or 12 is a perfect age for Book…moreI totally agree with Shannon's response. (And so glad you and your 4th grader enjoyed it, Shannon!) I think 11 or 12 is a perfect age for Book Scavenger. Hope your daughter enjoys it!(less)

Emily May
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015, childrens

This is a middle grade novel about a book-lover called EMILY and "a game where books are hidden all over the country and clues to find them are revealed through puzzles."

Why am I not 12 years old anymore!?

Jennifer Bertman
Jul 22, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I love this book! Disclaimer: I also wrote this book. :)

Advance copies of Book Scavenger are being hidden around the US. Join in the game here: http://bookscavenger.com
karen
i don't really read enough middle grade to know how this book stacks up against others written for that age range; i'm a middle grade tourist who only pops in when i come across a book that's either so magnificently written that it carves out a little bed in my heart (Rooftoppers) or when it's about baby booknerds or baby chefs or cats having adventures or something else that would have caught my eye when i was in that 8-12 age range, so long ago.

this falls into that second category. it's not a
Lisa Vegan
Had I read this book when I was 9-12 I think I would have given it 5 stars. The children’s mysteries available to me then were nowhere near as good, and none that I can remember took place in San Francisco.

This story is great for both boys and girls, and will likely also be appealing to many reluctant readers. Even though this is a children’s book I think many older people (13 and all the way up) can also enjoy it. I particularly loved the San Francisco setting and that this is a book about boo
Vane J.
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2015
This book is my dream book from my early years: It’s about a girl – Emily – who loves books. There is a game – Book Scavenger – around the US that consists in hiding books and finding them through clues. There are ciphers and cryptograms, and it’s about books! See why it’s everything a book lover might want?

The game itself is silly; I mean, they hide the books in public places, so how the hell do they manage to prevent people who don’t play Book Scavenger from finding and keeping the books? It’s
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This book is basically everything past Rashika would have wanted from a book and one present Rashika adores.

The past couple of middle grade novels that I had read were great but there seemed to be something missing. I figured that could have been the result of me not being the intended audience but this  book reminded me that it doesn't matter who the reader is, a book can be enjoyed by a reader of any age.

I know I always say that my favori
Karsyn
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I normally do not rate DNF books, but since there was a very specific reason I didn't finish this book, I felt like my rating was justified.

Review ~

Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
Did Not Finish
1 of 5 stars
368 page Kindle book

I received this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

It's a sad time that I write my first DNF review.

I wanted to LOVE Book Scavenger. It's my kind of book. Puzzles and clues and a scavenger hunt?! This was (I thought) right down my alley. Even as a 37 yr
Caren
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Oh my gosh, I loved this book. This is one of those rare books adults can enjoy just as much as the middle grade readers who are its target audience. It's a good story, but it is also well-written with bits of literary history and descriptions of various ciphers and codes. It is just so much fun. The author's note at the end tells the reader a bit about the book's background. Ms. Bertman grew up in San Francisco, the setting for the book, so I felt her description of the city must be pretty accu ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
I love the idea of Book Scavenger simply because if I found a hidden book I'm sure as fuck that I would take it, fairness be damned.

I mean, FREE BOOKS dude. Won't that be awesome?

Anyway,Book Scavenger is fun read even though I grew a bit tired in the middle. I find it quite long and I think there's some things that should be omitted to make the story fast paced and thrilling.

The story is about Emily and James in a one of a kind adventure consisting a weird book and some hooligans who were after
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
My inner 11-12 year old self was squealing with joy when I was reading this book. It was a fabulous story that made me instantly sad, no one wrote this when I was a tween.
Amy
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-hearts
Not having kids of my own, I judge these books based on how I would have enjoyed them as a kid. If I still had my spiral notebook where I kept track of my many Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High books, I would have chosen the fuschia color from my multi-ink click pen and drawn in rounded script the title of the book followed by five shakily drawn stars (By the way, I still haven't mastered the art of a perfect star shape).

Emily Crane's parents have vowed to live in all fifty states. This means Emi
Ms. Yingling
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Emily isn't too thrilled about moving yet again, but she's used to it. Her parents are both able to work from home wherever they are, and they are gathering material for their book 50 Homes in 50 States by moving about once a year. Emily is excited about moving to San Francisco, though, because it is the home of Garrison Griswold, the founder of the Book Scavenger Game. It is helpful that her new neighbor, James, is also a fan of puzzles and is able to help
Brenda
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Puzzles, Mystery, Ciphers, Books about Books
Shelves: mystery
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

I absolutely adored Book Scavenger, it was such fun to read. Everything from the authors note where Bertman lists the inspirations for Book Scavenger (which is a combination of books, movies, Geocaching, cipher's and the website BookCrossing.com). To the setting of San Francisco filled with various historical facts and figures that make for an interesting plot. Plus there is a nice mystery that sort of involves Edgar Allen Poe. I enjoyed all the characters
Tara
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
This book has instantly become one of my all-time middle-grade favorites. It has mystery, humor, wonderful characters and friendships, fascinating puzzles, tantalizing literary references, and a perfectly-realized San Francisco setting. I really think that this is a book that kid and adult readers will enjoy in equal measure, making it a great choice for family or classroom reading.

In short, I loved everything about Book Scavenger, and am so excited that Emily and James's adventures will continu
Gus
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book. I recommend it to everyone. It sends a message that anyone can do great things. And also, Ms. Taake hasn't read it yet, so be sure to read it before she does! :)
Suad Shamma
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2015, favourites
This one's a favourite for sure! Reading the synopsis I knew the book sounded interesting, but it turned out to be an absolute treasure. I devoured it in a matter of hours and was very sad to see the end of it and even sadder to realize that this is the author's first and only book so far!

Emily is an avid reader but also an avid member of the Book Scavenger game founded by Garrison Griswold. She is working up the ranks in the game, with the aim to achieve the highest detective status. This invol
Pamela

Simply Delightful! My inner child has been tome tickled......

Book Scavenger is a quirky good, middle-grade, biblio themed adventure mystery set in San Francisco, with protagonist - wordy-nerdy Emily, and her puzzler sidekick James. And to say that Emily's family and their lifestyle is eccentric, would be an understatement. Ah, but that's part of the fun.

All the way around, this was an ultra fun read. It had all the great elements of an adult whodunit, except toned down several notches. Guns are
Feb 12, 2015 marked it as lost-interest
Shelves: middle-grade, to-buy
I don't care how old I am, this book sounds amazing, I'm reading it :)
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Got to read the ARC of this book and absolutely loved the idea of it. The story is of a game created by Garrison Griswold, publisher of the Bayside Press, called Book Scavenger. In the game, participants hid books throughout the country, leaving clues about the locations by registering them on line. Participants would also search for books that others have hidden by using the clues. Once found the participant would earn points that would move them up the ranks from Encyclopedia Brown to Nancy Dr ...more
Jana
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Book Scavenger is a middle grade adventure book about a girl called Emily who moves to San Francisco with her parents - the city her biggest idol lives in: Garrison Griswold, creator of the legendary game Book Scavenger. And Emily is a passionate book scavenger - she loves to solve the riddles leading to the discovery of the hiding places of books. However, Griswold is attacked and in a coma, and Emily a
Jeff Raymond
Far be it from me to criticize a book that embraces and celebrates the love of reading, but I'm not entirely sure this one is it (and i say this while, at the time of this writing, having not yet read Mr Lemoncello's Library). A book that sort of presents itself as the Willy Wonka of books about books, it's not quite light-hearted or fun enough to hold that mantle, nor whimsical enough to allow for the comparisons.

The book is about some kids obsessed with Book Scavenging, a game about finding an
Laure Porché
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hachette, favorites
I absolutely loved it! A very good middle school book, Emily and James are wonderful heroes, and please tell me the publisher of this will launch a real book scavenger website as PR? I would love to play that game, as Book Crossing is kind of random and lack motivational value. I want to be a book scavenger too ! :)
Kat LeMaster
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute YA cozy! Anybody who has been a bookworm since childhood will love this book. In this version of our world geocaching meets book sharing. People hide books and you find them! Mr. Griswald, who started Book Scavenger, has special book finding contests in San Francisco where book hungers have to solve ciphers to find the book. Easy read that makes you want to start hunting books!
Heather Taake
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! So fun. And the audiobook is great too.
Mehsi
This is THE book to read if you love puzzles, books and scavenger hunts. The book is filled with fun riddles/puzzles, the scavenger hunt is delightful and it will make you want to be there and there is a LOT of talk about books.

I do wish we had such events in real life (scavenger hunts and other book events), or such a site as the site mentioned in this book. It does sound terribly exciting, to be able to hide and find books, to make up riddles, to track your book as it starts its exciting journ
Bea  Charmed
Growing up, I loved reading mysteries such as The Three Investigators, The Hardy Boys, and The Happy Hollisters. They were full of tweens and teens who sometimes stumbled upon, sometimes sought out mysteries and set about solving them. Emily, our main protagonist, does both in "Book Scavenger". Oh, and there's a real Book Scavenger site! Yes, the author or publisher, someone connected to the book, set up a real site that seems to work the way it does in the book. Man, where was this when I was g ...more
Drew
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I tend to rate a lot of middle grade books "as a middle grade book." So if I liked it, then I liked it for a middle grade book. I think it's only fair to compare them to other books in the same genre.

But I found that I was genuinely able to enjoy Book Scavenger—and not just as a book meant for ten year olds. It held up to a lot of young adult, and even adult, novels, in the entertainment factor.

Of course, there were a few things that separated this book from those aimed at older audiences, most
Elena Mills
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH HOW I WISH BOOK SCAVENGER WAS REAL!!! I loved the story so much and I recently found out that there is a book scavenger game in real life, but I wish it was this popular and there were actually books in my area! The characters were absolutely wonderful, and I really connected with Emily and her love of reading. I want to learn more about ciphers!
Barbara
Because her parents plan to live in all 50 states eventually, twelve-year-old Emily is somewhat reluctant to fall for the many charms of San Francisco, the family's new home. After all, she figures they'll barely get settled in before it will be time to move once again. Still, she and her upstairs neighbor James hit it off right away, and bond over their shared interest in puzzles and codes. Emily is deeply involved in Book Scavenger, a book-hiding puzzle game with different sleuthing levels. Wh ...more
Anmiryam
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would have loved this as a bookish 10-year old yearning for fiction leavened by tidbits of real life stuff (much of my interest in the world was fashioned from tidbits discovered in the course of reading middle-grade novels -- mitochondria are real! mobius strips are real! Thank you childhood reading for making me wonder about these and many, many other things).

Even as an old lady I enjoyed. It's a well constructed treasure literary treasure hunt with just enough menace to make it feel tense a
KMS Gr6 Library: Book Scavenger 1 2 Sep 17, 2017 11:21AM
  • Nooks & Crannies
  • The Detective's Assistant
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #1)
  • Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • Greenglass House (Greenglass House, #1)
  • The Odds of Getting Even (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #3)
  • All Four Stars (All Four Stars #1)
  • Absolutely Truly
  • Under the Egg
  • The League of Beastly Dreadfuls (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #1)
  • Chasing Secrets
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3)
  • Lantern Sam and the Blue Streak Bandits
  • The Book of Lost Things (Mister Max #1)
  • Ms. Rapscott's Girls
  • Masterminds (Masterminds, #1)
Jennifer Chambliss Bertman is the New York Times bestselling author of the Book Scavenger series (Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt/Macmillan). Book Scavenger is a New York Times bestseller, an Indie Next Kids’ Top Ten Pick, a Banks Street College Best Book of the Year, an Amazon Best Book of the Year, an NCTE Notable Children's Book, and has been nominated for 18 state award lists. The Unbreakab ...more
More about Jennifer Chambliss Bertman

Book Scavenger (3 books)
  • The Unbreakable Code (Book Scavenger, #2)
  • The Alcatraz Escape (Book Scavenger, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
“Negativity has never been a friend to anyone.” 5 likes
“I appreciate my customers. And many of them are fine, fine people. But not all book people are good people. Don't mistake shared interests with shared ethics." He tapped his pointy cap. "There's some wizardly wisdom for you today.” 4 likes