Start by marking “Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1)

Ice Massacre

(Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #1)

A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death.

The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of
Published September 18th 2014 by Rogue Cannon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ice Massacre, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tiana Warner Absolutely. This is the first in a trilogy, and I'm currently hard at work on book #2. See http://tianawarner.com/novels/…moreAbsolutely. This is the first in a trilogy, and I'm currently hard at work on book #2. See http://tianawarner.com/novels/ (less)
Jai It's never made exactly clear when it is, but I would say present day (although it could possibly be near-future or recent past). Modern technology…moreIt's never made exactly clear when it is, but I would say present day (although it could possibly be near-future or recent past). Modern technology (TVs, helicopters, cars) exist and are used. The island of Eriana Kwai is pretty isolated and doesn't have a lot of modern technology, though, so I can see how some people would see it as being set in the past.(less)
Stealing the Wind by Shira AnthonyBlood in the Water by Megan DerrLove Rising by Piper VaughnKraken by M. CaspianInto the Wind by Shira Anthony
Queer Merfolk
147 books — 181 voters
Ice Massacre by Tiana WarnerAsh by Malinda LoShalmar by Serena WhyndOf Fire and Stars by Audrey CoulthurstThe Warrior's Path by Catherine M. Wilson
F/F in Fantasy
118 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #1)
Nick
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog

Oh man,look at this cover,it's awesome with blood and all,so creative,and it fits the story perfectly,like this is how I imaged some of the scenes happening.

Ice Massacre is a mermaid fantasy YA.When I say mermaid you may think something fluffy,but I assure you this is no such thing,otherwise I wouldn't have read it,yet liked it this much.I admit mermaids are some of my least favorite creatures along with witches and
Whitney Atkinson

This is one of those rare books where the writing and the characters are excellent, but the foundation of the story itself is shaky. I never had a hard time reading this because the plot was always fast-paced, I liked the characters and budding romance, and the writing was smooth and engaging. But I just can't get over how unrealistic and undeveloped the world building is. This book has a very big moral question of whether or not mermaids are good or bad, and the author approaches it in
✨    jamieson   ✨
pros: hot mermaids, cool human/mermaid f/f romance with lots of angst and slowburn, actual fantasy series with an f/f romance, killer mermaids, ship setting and mermaid/human politics

cons: annoying fights between girls that weren't really justified, didn't go as into depth with the politics of the world as I hoped, skimmed the surface of some relationships when I wanted more. Basically left me wanting more and like it didn't /go there/ for a lot of it

review to come
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
this is a SAPPHIC love story between a WARRIOR & a MERMAID!! this is friends to enemies back to friends to lovers!! this is all ur gay dreams coming true! :>>>>
Tiana Warner
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mermaids
I love my book. And you know what I love even more? Book 2: Ice Crypt.
Jessica
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, arc, my-library
I'm pretty sure this is the book that Tumblr has been waiting for. A human warrior raised to battle mermaids falls in love with the enemy. Except this fierce warrior is a woman. Yep, you got it. Ice Massacre is not only a story about mermaids with a kick-butt protagonist; it also features a lesbian love story. It’s subtle, but it’s there! Oh and get this, not only are they in an interspecies relationship, they're also in an interracial relationship. Meela, our main character is a P.O.C. Tumblr ...more
E.

This book is March's Sapphic Book Club read hosted by @sapphicliterature.

"Papa almost always called me by my full name. He and Mama named me after the earth and a sort of matronaly figure, a choice I always thought was terrible. I liked the sea better than the earth and I sooner would've taken care of a snail than a baby."

Mermaids are the enemy to the people of Eriana Kwai. Metlaa Gaela should know this having lost her only brother to the Massacre - a yearly event when the wariors of Eriana
Jhosy
This is truly one of the best books I've ever read with a lesbian character.
The whole narrative is full of action and suspense and have a moment of calm is rather rare.
Don't expect a romance from this book.
Yes, there is the element of the romance, but the story doesn't revolve around this, but rather of Meela on her way to war and her conflicts over the Massacre, her humanity and her feelings towards Lsy.
Anyway...To not extend this review...I wish that I could give 10 stars to it.
Boston
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Into the Drowning Deep by MiraGrant, I’ve wanted more and more killer mermaid stories. This book filled that space in my heart. I loved every single thing about this book and I CANNOT wait to pick up the next two.
;3
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, lgbt
I WISH THE FOCUS WAS MORE ON THE ROMANCE
lov2laf
This was a fantastic story and a joy to read. Once the young women set out on the ship the book was such a page turner that I couldn't put it down. This story had the full package of amazing battle scenes, characters, imagery, dialogue, fantasy, burgeoning love story, the works. I was completely delighted that young women drove the tale especially in this genre of books. The suspense, bad ass slaughter scenes and developments between the characters reminded me of Dog Soldiers, Jaws, and Lord of ...more
BadassCmd
This book was the March's Sapphic Book Club read hosted by sapphicliterature.

Oh boy, this is gonna be a long one...

It was really insanely hard to get myself to put the book down from time to time in the last 3 days to sleep or pretend I have a life, because it was so freaking intense.

I've wanted to read a good wlw mermaid story for a while - and this is more than I thought I wanted.

So this book goes right on my favorites shelf and now I’m gonna sit and stare at my wall until Amazon delivers the
AziaMinor
"A mermaid hunter must be aggressive, bold, and, more
importantly, nimble on her feet"

Well this was a letdown for me. And I had such high hopes for this book. Mermaids, female warriors, a bloody conflict going on for generations, forbidden friendship that might become something more, it seemed like it was going to be a fast paced, high-flying adventure.

What you get instead was huge plot holes, unnecessary dialog, and 180 degree character traits that come out of nowhere with no prompt
D.M.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Mermaids of Eriana Kwai has a huge following. It's a lesbian mermaid story. The hunter falls for their prey, but it's difficult to know who's on the wrong side. Ice Massacre is the first book in the trilogy and has had great success. It has won awards and has a great average rating. The reason I'm telling you all this is because I'm in the minority. I really struggled with the writing style. The story its self is excellent. It's creative, touching and magical.

Meela met a mermaid (Lysithea) as a
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was really good! A team of trained 18 year old girl fighters are sent on a ship to massacre the vicious mermaid population. But one girl made friends with a mermaid when she was a kid! Like Fox and the Hound with mermaids and lesbians.
Netty
I had no idea this was a series or a YA book, I just picked it up, very good action but not enough romance for me, too much time apart and not a satisfying ending.....
Tyler J [They/He] Gray
Yes, I read this a year ago. But then never continued the trilogy despite the fact I loved it! So, i've read it again, and will be continuing the trilogy! But last year I read the kindle version, loved it so much I bought the trilogy in paperback, so yes i'm rating it 5 stars twice. My initial review is here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time
Eve Messenger
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like a good story

Read.

This.

Book.

If someone had told me a week ago I would even pick up a book called ICE MASSACRE I would have laughed. Hard. But I am here now to say I loved this book and that its only weakness was the title.

The plot line, on the other hand, got my attention. The people of the island of Eriana Kwai are in trouble. Merpeople have waged war on them and are starving them out. Warrior mermaids--who morph into (seriously) terrifying sea demons--send fish away from the
Alex
YA with a lesbian monster love interest! This book is engaging, its eerie, mysterious, action packed and bloody; basically exactly what you could expect from a book called Ice Massacre. There is mostly women in this book, young badass female warriors fighting for their lives versus gruesome flesh eating mermaid monsters, but wait! There is also a ff romance that will keep your interest pinned along with the horrors that transpire. The relationship with Lysi is an interesting one, a friendship ...more
Starsandsun18
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really awesome book!
This is my first time to read something like this, a mermaid as one of the MCs. Quite frankly I'm preparing myself to be bored and I also expected that this is set around 1500-1800's but well I'm wrong!
Sponge Bob is mentioned here so, yeah!
It's a slow burn I must admit and it's not really a romance book. It's more of a friendship than romance. Then I'm reminding myself that it's only the first book of the installment..
There's a back story on how they met.
I think Meela and
Devann
I'm always here for a good lesbian mermaid romance! This was a really interesting story about a girl and a mermaid who are on opposing sides of a war on/around an island somewhere around the Alaska/Canada area. Honestly I was a bit unsure on some of the setting/world-building aspects of the book so I'm hoping that gets expanded on more in book 2. As far as I can tell it's set in a kind alternate-modern day universe, but some things don't entirely make sense to me [like why they don't utilize ...more
Alice
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't have time to write a proper review but I wanted to comment so:

What made me want to read this book was the promise of an angsty, sapphic, childhood friends to enemies to lovers. But this book was so much more than that. Yes, the relationship was there but it was not the main plot. We follow our main character, Meela, as she tries to figure out her conflicting feelings towards the species she has been sent out to kill. And, oh my, the battle scenes. They were very well written and fast. I
thi
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5
- I would like all the other ya mermaid books I’ve read before to apologize to me for almost making me write off all mermaid books as mediocre
- THIS!! IS!! IT!!!!!
- the pacing, the action, the lore, the *gore*
- the f/f romance is a bit of slow burn and while I liked it, I loved the crew dynamics the best, pitted crews, spiralling into madness more
- the action scenes they’re practically theatrical
- I’m immediately reading the next part
Kelly
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
From the moment I picked up my ARC of Ice Massacre I couldn't put it down. It has everything--action, suspense, romance, and lots of twists. It's a truly unique story in a market of re-tellings and I wish more books had the quality of this read.

I've never read about mermaids before and wasn't sure what to expect with a YA set in the ocean with a bunch of girls turned warriors who are expected to do what their male counterparts failed to do each year before--kill as many mermaids as possible.

The
Luiza Barreto
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff, lgbt, fantasy, read-in-2017
This book is perfect in every single way. As a lesbian who is a big fan of SFF, it's great to read a book with those two things intersecting. This novel is fast-paced, well written and keeps you hooked from the start (I read it in two hours!) It's everything that I could've asked for and more, and I can't wait to read the sequel.
Farah
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tired of working for the man/woman?
Need a break from the kid/s
Looking for your next Island Getaway?
Well look no further

Welcome to the island of Eriana Kwai.
This island is like no island you have ever been to before. There are no local seafood delicacies to devour, you can't dip a single toe into the ocean, no walking/sunbathing by the beach area - you can thank the sea demons, Disney proudly calls Ariel for all these restrictions and you should always have iron on you at all times.

Okay, why
Kate
Feb 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wlw
I'm actually really disappointed in this book. The world-building just didn't make sense. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it.

Also, the words 'bear' and 'apelike' are used to describe Black/indigenous characters so.....bit not good.

Full review to come.

Find more from me:
Blog || Instagram || Twitter || YouTube
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wlw, diversity
You can also find this review on my blog, Magic in Every Book

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

I cannot express in words how much I adored this book! This review will mostly be me trying to coherently persuade you to pick this book up, when mostly I just want to scream and force it on you, haha. This book is a lot of things. It’s a fantasy with an interesting adaptation of mermaid lore. It’s an action novel as you watch twenty young women come face-to-face with war,
Marco den Ouden
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When you think of mermaids, you usually think of Ariel, the character from Disney's The Little Mermaid. Hang on to your hats, folks. Ice Massacre is about a running war between a small island nation near the Queen Charlottes and an underwater colony of mermaids. These are not Disney mermaids. They are shape-shifting fierce warrior mermaids. The kind of mermaids who present a siren's allure to unwary sailors and then morph into snarling beasts with red eyes and sharp talons who feast on human ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner --> Starting July 15th 1 13 Jun 27, 2016 10:03PM

• The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • Breaking Legacies
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Charon Docks at Daylight
  • The Fletcher (The Arrow of Artemis, #1)
  • Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir
  • The Raven and the Reindeer
  • The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)
  • Interference
  • Breaking Character
  • The Sting of Victory (Fallen Gods, #1)
  • Dragonoak: The Sky Beneath The Sun (Dragonoak, #2)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet Series, #1)
  • Chasing Stars
Tiana Warner is the best selling author of the Mermaids of Eriana Kwai trilogy. Her books have been acclaimed by Writer’s Digest, Foreword Reviews, and the Dante Rossetti Awards. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from the University of British Columbia. Tiana enjoys riding her horse, Bailey, and is an active supporter of animal welfare.

tianawarner.com
Twitter
Facebook

Acclaim for

Mermaids of Eriana Kwai (3 books)
  • Ice Crypt (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #2)
  • Ice Kingdom (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai, #3)
“I liked the sea better than the earth and I sooner would’ve taken care of a snail than a baby.” 2 likes
“But my heart felt swollen, and I finally just knew. It was as obvious as if I’d known it my whole life. I was in love with a mermaid.” 1 likes